Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

No grass Servers

Can anyone recommend any good coop servers that dont have Grass on? At the moment I'm having to look for servers that have a Desert mission on the go, where there will be little grass, as every server seems to have grass on confused_o.gif

Have a look for the GSA-XGN coop servers, last time I played on it grass was off and there is usually a fair bit of people playing. Note, that the server is located in Australia.

This is the details I got from there forums.

Name: #2 GSA-XGN ArmA Coop

IP: 203.13.37.48

Port: 2302

Details: Dedicated to "Coop" style ArmA missions and is open to the public.

till now i dont think that u can disable the grass on the server, its up to the mission makers to disable grass.

till now i dont think that u can disable the grass on the server, its up to the mission makers to disable grass.

Nope, terrain detail and visibility are server side.

Terrain detail very low = no grass smile_o.gif .

And how to edit the config so that there is no grass on the server?

you don't edit the config...

just like when you play your game in single player mode ArmA uses a 'profile' file to store your preferences in for screen size, texture quality, viewdistance, terrainDetail etc, etc.

as you probably already know this, then for a dedi server you can also specify a 'user' profile to use via the command line using the parameter -name=<DediServerUsername>.

If you don't then the ArmADedi will create one anyway in the default 'ArmA Other Profiles' folder underneath 'My Documents' on the server.

Just edit this file in a text editor and place the appropriate lines or alter them if already there...

Here is a list of appropriate settings...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Blood=

Disabled        0

Low             1

High            2

terrainGrid=

Very Low        50.000000

Low             25.000000

Normal          10.000000

High            6.250000

Very High       3.125000

sceneComplexity=

Very Low        150000.000000

Low               200000.000000

Normal           300000.000000

High              500000.000000

Very High       1000000.000000

shadingQuality=

Very Low        0

Low             3

Normal          7

High            10

Very High       100

shadowQuality=

Disabled        0

Low             1

Normal          2

High            3

Very High       4

TexQuality=

Very Low        0

Low             1

Normal          1

High            2

Very High       3

postFX=

Low             0

High            1

anisoFilter=

Disabled        0

Low             1

Normal          2

High            3

Very High       4

Cheers, Sy.

Synide, Heatseeker. Have either of you tried to host a dedi server with those settings or are you just hosting from within the game? Dedi servers don't load the terrain grid from the config yet, not even in the new beta patch.

User missions however can force the grid to 50.00 which as stated turns the grass off. But that is on a per mission basis.

Synide thanks for posting this

btw. since latest beta there is new value available for PostFX

VeryHigh 2

[APS]Numbat

Quote[/b] ]Dedi servers don't load the terrain grid from the config yet, not even in the new beta patch.

You are 100% correct... dedi servers do not load an altered terrain grid from the config....

However, they DO load a terrain grid from the the Servers user profile.

So, if you alter the servers default USER profile then the server will run with no grass.

Dwarden

Quote[/b] ]Synide thanks for posting this

No, worries... Would have thought you'd already have known the above values...? smile_o.gif

Yeah, didn't bother mentioning the beta implementations... As the US version is 'not far away' (or is it?) icon_rolleyes.gif

Although I will mention that the In game Display setting for AA is not stored in the username.profile but in the users ArmA.cfg file found in the folder above... fyi.

However, they DO load a terrain grid from the the Servers user profile.

So, if you alter the servers default USER profile then the server will run with no grass.

I am unable to reproduce this result using a dedicated server ("arma_server.exe") with a custom user profile, ie one specified using the -name= startup parameter (with or without a custom -profiles= location). Tests were done using both the 1.05 and 1.05+ dedicated server programs.

Using -name=myserver, the proper myserver.ArmAProfile file was edited and the property terrainGrid was changed from it's default value of 10.000000 to 50.000000, the latter being the value for "Very Low" terrain detail setting which disables the grass.

Changing this setting has no effect on the terrain detail (and presence of grass or not) used by default in MP. As an aside, there is no *.ArmAProfile file on my system that has anything but terrainDetail=50 in it, so the dedi server can not have picked a "wrong" setting from another profile file.

In the tests, these were the command line parameters used for arma_server.exe when using the default profile location (...\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">-config=server.cfg -name=myserver

Synide, could you describe in sufficient detail the steps you took to get rid of grass from dedicated MP servers in missions that don't do it themselves by way of setTerrainGrid, if these steps are in any way different from what I did? Maybe there's some crucial detail missing here...

@Killswitch...

try putting this... in your myserver.ArmAProfile on your dedi-server, and restarting your server with the appropriate '-name=' parameter...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgDefaultSettings

{

access=0;

scope=2;

defaultVisibilty=10000;

defaulTerrainGrid=50;

class UserInfo

{

viewDistance=10000;

terrainGrid=50;

};

};

That excerpt from the main game config, when put into a dedicated server's custom user profile, did not change the outcome of the tests.

Could it be that there actually is no way to disable grass per default on dedicated servers as of ArmA 1.05/1.05+ and any claims to the contrary is unfortunately based on conjecture? So far, that seems to be the case.

Here's hoping future versions of the server software can be made to accept terrain detail (and perhaps view distance) settings!

Works on our servers... and, once more, it works on our servers...

If you want to test this claim, filter for 'XDF' in your MP browser.

Goto the 'Public' or 'Realistic' server and play the standard 'Seize The Base (Coop 20)' mission from BIS.

You 'should' see no grass... no matter what your current settings are for your game.

Exit the mission and server and shut down your ArmA... goto your MpMissionsCache folder and extract 'mp01seizethecity.sara' that you just downloaded.

Confirm for yourself that there is no 'setTerrainGrid 50' in the mission.

Let me know if you have a problem.

Just to be sure... I just set my in-Game terrain option to 'Very High' and connected to our servers. And, voila, no grass...

lol, well seems I'm full of *rap... doesn't work.... you are right and i and wrong.

Crud...I was hoping there was something I'd missed... D-oh!

To summarise, the following is valid for a dedicated ArmA (1.05) server:

<ul>[*] By default, a mission gets 1200 meters of view distance and "Normal" terrain detail.

[*] One can not change the default VD or TD on dedicated servers.

[*] If one wants to have missions without grass, use setTerrainGrid 50 within the mission itself.

Yes, default VD is 1200 but this can be altered in the user profile. it is just the terrain detail that for some reason is not being read.

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you synide. Perhaps XDF is blessed with a 1.05 bug that the terrain detail is not reset after each mission and once a mission loaded on your server was a "set terrain 50", each map thereafter that didn't specify differently was no-grass.

Numbat @ April 12 2007,10:24)]Sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you synide. Perhaps XDF is blessed with a 1.05 bug that the terrain detail is not reset after each mission and once a mission loaded on your server was a "set terrain 50", each map thereafter that didn't specify differently was no-grass.

It's default functionality at this time afaik.

It works exactly the same over here smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Synide thanks for posting this

btw. since latest beta there is new value available for PostFX

VeryHigh 2

so does this mean that lower end PC can enjoy the Blurry Forground liek the weapon and arms etc, and not worry about Post processing effecs being applied to the scenery. Because i think this would be very usefull

Instead of running the BIS dedicated server windows executable, try running the game.exe with the '-server' commandline parameter. And, include the...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgDefaultSettings

{

access=0;

scope=2;

defaultVisibilty=10000;

defaulTerrainGrid=50;

class UserInfo

{

viewDistance=10000;

terrainGrid=50;

};

};

in your servers user profile....