Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V1.0 Large scale respawn coop

2 questions:

1st: is your score saved on 24/7-server, even if the island is fully conquered and a new map starts?

2nd: how do i recruit AI if i'm ranked high enough?

btw: i love it, that you have to earn your points to drive the better vehicles and get better weapons!

Thunder666 @ April 25 2007,01:46)]Please fix the S&R Mission, the Marker is in the Ocean !

yep 14km from base in sea.

Also had issues of squad leader lossing squad control for TK's and screwing up mission rewards for other squad's leaders.

I've had this happen tonight for the first time due to an poor pilot squad leader, completed 5/10 mission successfully and gain no mission points should of had 146 by this time but only had 46, not taking into account the Search and Destroy pilot recovery 8.5km behind enemy lines. No helo support not good.

2 questions:

1st: is your score saved on 24/7-server, even if the island is fully conquered and a new map starts?

2nd: how do i recruit AI if i'm ranked high enough?

btw: i love it, that you have to earn your points to drive the better vehicles and get better weapons!

1/ not sure.

2/ next to ammo crate near mission hut you can recuit AI's of type and # depending on you rank.

DragoFire

2 questions:

@kueppcera:  Based on what I've seen from playing on the [uSA] =IMO= server, when the map was reset by the server this past Sunday evening, regardless of my prior progression, I was back at the rank of Private and the work started all over again.  

I just wish the server hadn't reset before the remaining four towns/objectives were cleared at that time.

NO. When the mission restarts, regardless if it has been conquered or not, everything starts at the begining. just like other missions.

@ April 23 2007,22:20)]It probably works better this way for people who dont have the time see the map thro to the end, at least they might make colonel in a reasonable amount of time and feel happy hanging up their gun.

What are you refering to, KilJoy?

I'm referring to the fact that after colonel the rank and score system becomes obsolete to the player. and they may play on for several hours after that point. Basicly in any progresive game where you gain more ability as time goes on usualy you reach your peak close to the end of the mission. In evo you can peak hours before this.

This whole "lose a point for dying" thing is stupid. It's even worse because a lot of the things which need to be done don't reward you for doing it.

Case in point: Shoved an M136 up a T72's tailpipe. Crew bails, tank explodes, no credit, I'm stuck at 30 points. Only surprise, with the crappy handling of Arma's AT weapons (slow change over to other weapon, stupid crappy garbage movement carrying them) I get swarmed by dudes. From an efficiency standpoint I made the right move. I sacrificed one life to destroy a hard target and her crewmen. In real life, of course, I would throw the AT materiel off my shoulder and haul ass out of there and reposition. Because ArmA likes to have uninterruptable animations and poor implementation of AT equipment, I can't do that. Oh well, so I get swarmed and killed. Only, of course, because of the crappy implementation of not being credited for what you kill if it dies because of, but not during, your shot, I lose a point for dying and surprise, I go from Sgt to Cpl for doing the right thing at the right time.

That right there set my Evolution burnout from about 75% to 110%. My ArmA burnout jumped up a good percentage too.

@Dr. Mojo, PhD:  I'm glad you got the tank kill, but hate to hear of anyone getting burned out on ArmA.  I don't know of a single perfect game, but with most of them, I've applied this quote to gaming from the classic movie Heartbreak Ridge with Clint Eastwood as Gunny Highway, who said to his Marine Recon squad, "Adapt.  Improvise.  Overcome."  Imho, that is what it takes to get some enjoyment in games like ArmA.

My point is that I hope you'll keep on trying til you find what works best for you until the next patch fixes or improves weapons swapping or reloading mechanics.

I try to work with at least one human squad mate or more, and we're voice comms first, then I do the following whenever firing any AT launcher; I fire only when I have some form of cover, rocks, building, fence, wall, etc.  And immediately after firing I either go prone, or move left or right, so I don't get shot.  I won't fire a second shot from the same point because the enemy's very good at flanking in Evolution Coop.

So, shoot, don't watch it hit the target, and relocate whenever possible.

@KillJoy [sFG]  Please post what the respawn or times that empty unarmed and armed vehicles are that aren't damaged and have No crew in them.  I realise, damaged vehicles will remain on the field of battle.

Case in point regarding the times are, we took a AMMO Truck and parked it northwest of Somato, loaded up with extra Satchel Charges.  First, we needed to be armed to take out SLA infantry and a Shilka.  Then get rearmed with Satchel Charges off the truck to destroy the secondary Smoke Stack objective.  But before any of us could get back to it, it respawned back to base.

At Cayo, GRETSCHZILLA had driven a Humvee (unarmed) to a safe point and parked it.  He joined me to hunt down a pesky T-72 and supporting infantry.  However, the Humvee disappeared right in front of us when we were running back to it after he took out the tank.  In both instances, it seemed that more than 5 min passed since he got out of it last, but not certain on exact time lapsed.

So post the times if you know them for certain.  I don't think 5 minutes for an empty vehicle is too long, because I wouldn't want to be waiting at base for a vehicle if you get out of your vehicle.

I'll "Adapt - Improvise - Overcome" and either unload the gear on the ground or might use one of my AI crew to stay in the seat to keep the truck active if we need it that long, usually to press on to the next town with the extra gear aboard, you see.

Thanks for putting in the time to make this mission and take the time to respond to our questions and suggestions, most of all for the continuing improvements to the mission to make it better for all of us.

By the way, has anyone been attacked by the Su-27s or KA-50s??  So far, I've only seen them flying around from point to point, serving as targets of opportunity to those with AT or even better, AA weaponry.  Vehicles are going to be in threatened when we start getting attacked by enemy air support!

Komovs attack tracked vehicles sometimes trucks. su34 seem to only engage armed helicopters and not often. respawn for any vehicle that respawns is 10 minuits. if you momentaraly get in, it resets the timer. There are 3 support trucks that dont respawn, there on the right standing apart as you enter the closed area in the airbase.

KillJoy,

I like (please don't change at all):

1. The fact the KA's are nasty, attacking your vehicles which becomes a huge focus of the mission once you get past Paraiso and the second city below it, and work on main line of "east coast stuff"

You have to get creative in defending your armor stash as you repair and move it, and the AI that's in it.

Hint - People, put a AI in a vulcan next to an AI in an ammo truck sitting together guarding your cache of repaired armor.

2. I like how you currently have trucks respawning, and it looks like you have a small group of trucks that do NOT, which is great.. I'd like to have a set of 3 that are the odd ducks per-se (fuel/ammo/support) only because if you sit an AI in there, he HAS to be driver, and the KA will get him... and you spend a lot of time protecting your trucks. Which trucks currently aren't set to respawn?

3. Medical Tents - I assume you took those out to keep the AI from migrating to them, but it's caused another problem, including men going to the airport instead. I'd suggest you put them BACK, but instead "add more" in the cities...

I think im just going to remove the ones in the airport. In the next version medics earn points for healing i have it working fine. I dont want to deprive them of points.

@ April 24 2007,22:26)]I think im just going to remove the ones in the airport. In the next version medics earn points for healing i have it working fine. I dont want to deprive them of points.

I like it.. biggrin_o.gif

The only problem is that medics have small pockets, you know what i mean? wink_o.gif

also the sniper slots are useless.. they have small pockets too.

I have released version 1.5 in the first post. Before everyone goes, woo hoo farming time. You only get rewarded for healing an injury if the player you treat was harmed by an enemy. You dont get points for healing yourself, ever. You dont get points for healing AI. If you are leader and an AI medic under your command heals a player you will get the point. Medics see markers for injured players. But other classes dont.

Cool! Can't wait to try it out. My Paramedic friend is going to love the point sytem I suggested for being a medic... now if there was only the respawn option with kegetys spectating script...hmmmm. !!!!!!!!!!Great work!!!!!!!!!!

KilJoy Dude All the guys here in SA dig this Mission man, awsume work!

1 Q: would you like to receive bugs in this forum or some other way? e-mail?

kueppcera, Howdy dude, glad you enjoyed playing with us and you are now hooked to online play  welcome.gif

Play Hard, Die Harder!

1.5 : Just ran a quick test to check the 10 point ambush mission, Love it that it's harder now and you can fly a mh-6 after finishing it biggrin_o.gif

@ April 25 2007,05:29)]I have released version 1.5 in the first post. Before everyone goes, woo hoo farming time. You only get rewarded for healing an injury if the player you treat was harmed by an enemy. You dont get points for healing yourself, ever. You dont get points for healing AI. If you are leader and an AI medic under your command heals a player you will get the point. Medics see markers for injured players. But other classes dont.

ecellent work m8

I know, I know, newbie-style question..

But is there a way to run this map in some type of persistant way where the map won't end even if all the players disconnect?

(Why? We run a private dedicated server, and would like to keep it running for a few days until we finish it.)

@ April 24 2007,20:35)]Komovs attack tracked vehicles sometimes trucks. su34 seem to only engage armed helicopters and not often.

I got shot at once by a Su-34. I was drivin in a Humvee, minding my own business, and all of a sudden a couple of small explosions went off all around me, but not hitting me directly. as i was stopping and getting out, hitting the dirt, panicking, su-34 just flew over me. there were no other contacts in the area, and i guess it tried to kill me with a gun.

It was one of my top 3 "sh*t my pants" moments in arma so far.

thanx killjoy for a great mission and continuous support. got evolution written down in my multiplayer filter smile_o.gif

I will put v1.5 up at the 1-8th server tonight. I love that you put in a reward system for the medic. smile_o.gif

So far since version 1.4c things have run pretty smooth. However once we get down to about 3 cities left, that is were Dsync just gets to be bad. I think mostly it is just due to the size of the mission and our server just is not powerfull enough to handle that much. I think this is one of those missions, that will make one upgrade there server. wink_o.gif

Thanks for the Hard Work KilJoy. I have no idea were you get the time for this, but I am not complaining.

@FunkDooBiesT:

Wow! After searching these forums i almost gave up the hope to get in contact with one of you guys!

Playing with all of you was great fun - on which server do you guys play - and - now that i have TS installed: what settings do you use?

I'll try to get back online asap biggrin_o.gif

I have played Evolution from the start (once playing a 10 hrs game ...) and still enjoy playing it.

I will suggest a Mechanic Support Reward system.

It's a hard job to repair and service damaged armor and there is no reward. The wrong side being a moron can damage our armor in base and gain rank by repairing it ! Timer and range conditions probably needed.

How do i repair these vehicles - take a repair truck and drive next to damaged vehicle? help.gif

@Old Bear I do intened to have a reward system for reparing vehicles, Im still fussing over the mechanics of it. But its in the pipeline.

@satexas69 just put the line

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">persistent=1;

in your server .cfg and once the game is started it does not need players in the server to stay going. Evo was always intended to be played this way.