Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V1.0 Large scale respawn coop

Hear, hear on the medic points.

I'd also like to see something for us poor guys that spend the time driving service and fuel trucks around repairing all those MH-6's for everyone else to use. I spend a fair bit of my time doing this (OK, I do enjoy it) but because I don't get points I never level up enough to fly the damn things back to base after repairing them.

I've had games where I spent an age first driving a service truck to a helo, going back to base, driving a fuel truck to same helo and then letting the team know that the bird is ready, only to be completely ignored and no-one pick it up. sad_o.gif

Thanks for a great mission and keep it up (fnaar)!

The FIRES of WAR are burning bright on our VS-UK server.

Fantasic map and concept.

This is how ArmA should be, starting to test and push out the boundaries.

Thinking I would having re-arrange my life's priorities

Football - sex - ArmA- work - marriage but then as long as some of our troopers are active you can take some R&R then return to active duties later..... FANTASTIC.

I'm just about to read through this post fully but I wonder if additional/different maps will be made or will this just get expanded???

Thanks for a great map and experience KilJoy.

Keep up the good work.

A standard has been set.

Just a thought?huh.gif your tag for me it should be OhJoy - LoveJoy - GreatJoy but then if I think a little more I see it .... Kill & Joy yup that sums up your map for me.

The best fun with a gun by far.

As i have said before i would like to reward support actions but its hard to make systems that cant be abused for support as you dont need enemy to farm points. The only thing i can think of is recording who destroyed or injured the person/vehicle being supported and if they were not enemy , reward no points for support. I will try out a few things.

Giving people rank for connecting late is harder then it sounds because what is to stop somone starting the map with everyone and reconnecting right away for a higher rank.

Seems it wasent the hangers making the exploding loop. there was a problem with the spawn script. i have corrected it. and released 1.3a in the first post. Its really annoying when you test somthing through lan on dedicated server and its fine. but As soon as some internet lagg is added everything takes on new rules. This should stop the constent exploding vehicls that need repair in 1.3.

Mad file name

"Evolution.Sara1.3a.pbo"

and

Missions.sqm = mission.bin

help.gif

I stay at version 1.1 sad_o.gif

@ April 13 2007,12:56)]Giving people rank for connecting late  is harder then it sounds because what is to stop somone starting the map with everyone and reconnecting right away for a higher rank.

Well of course it can be abused that's why it is a serverside variable which serveradmins can choose to use or not.

It would make your missions better playable for certain playergroups  smile_o.gif

Monk.

@ April 12 2007,21:42)]are you all sure you want to go down that route? Would you wait months to have the privilige to sit in an m1a1? or a cobra? how about 2 weeks before you can hold a m16 with a scope? Interesting concept an army rpg, cant say I know any games like it.

True, but the question is also: Can ArmA handle it? wink_o.gif

Regarding ACOGs for Privates, I'd vote NO (if this was a democracy biggrin_o.gif). The iron sights are definitely sufficient for the first missions.

Another thing KilJoy... Is it possible to save your gear loadout somehow? Over time it gets a bit annoying to pick the same weapons from the ammo box again and again. It would be nice if you could save and load your prefered loadout somehow.

any thoughts on spawn@squadleader KillJoy, or would it make it to easy?

Hey! The best mission, i love the ranking system and all the nice adds. AWESOME! THIS MAP ROCKS yay.gifnotworthy.gif

I am unable to get this to run at the 1-8th dedicated server.

Looks like a bad file name.

Evolution.Sara1.3a.pbo

Should it be Evolution1.3a.Sara.pbo?

Well I will wait to see if there is a fix.

Just did a quick test 1.3 online. I have a question about the continuous explosions after the vehicle is destoryed. Is the explosion has time limit? It seems never end and it is impossible to do a field repair with trucks. smile_o.gif

Looks like a bad file name.

Evolution.Sara1.3a.pbo

Should it be Evolution1.3a.Sara.pbo?

no need to wait. just rename the file to Evolution1.3a.Sara.pbo and it works.

EDIT: forgot to say, best MP mission I've played in ArmA. great job.

Is it possible to get an dePBO'd version of this?

I love it and want to look at how you did it, but eliteness doesnt work.

Thanks for awesome mission!

yer same a above KillJoy, i learn a hell of alot after looking at other missions, some of things u have implemented are very well done and id love to see them used wider in Arma for example the triggers and scripts u have used in order to pick to join squads are fantastic and id love to see how u did it.

@Kiljoy:

What have you done in v1.3a? confused_o.gif,

we did the hard ambush mission 4500m N from base and if we take a chopper, that same chopper disapears when we finish the mission.

We left the chopper in a specific place and we got back it was not there anymore.

Happened to our team tonight, we were playing the game for 1:30h and we decided to do that mission and take 1 little bird to the ambush zone. We ambushed the convoy and on our return we had no chopper, and no one took it back to base.

Please fix this, or else people will start leaving the mission after 2 hours, like i did.

- I like to have the option to VD and details smile_o.gif

@bravo 6

version 1.2

1. MH-6 choppers now respawn in 10 minuites.

2. Group Managment system.

3. Ammo on ground cleaned up around the airport

4. Various Sub Mission Bugs fixed.

5. Dynamic Weather system added

6. More en...

If you really want to hang on to them bravo just leave an ai sitting in the back seat. next version i will probably change it back to no respawn because i now have repair markers fixed for jip players.

People were leaving before because they got into a state where there were no choppers left to use the radar to find other choppers. but now even if you joined late you see repair markers so they wont respawn in the next version i never did like it, it was just a stop gap. lessens the value of choppers, people just fly away (alone) and parachute out of the chopper leaving it crashinto enemy ect. This is not the most realistic mission but respawning mh6 does hurt the authentic feel and lessen motivations to play as a team.

@Hackers try Depbo.tbh it doesn't phase me that people cant unpack my mission, there's more versions of evolution out now then Ive crashed choppers. I have stated before i would prefer it if people didn't go making modified versions of evolution until I'm finished making it stable. There was a day believe it or not in olden days of ofp , where you didn't re-release other peoples maps, you made your own. It was considerd a sin to even use a script from somones map without a credit note and permission.

Is it possible to get an dePBO'd version of this?

I love it and want to look at how you did it, but eliteness doesnt work.

Thanks for awesome mission!

here is a link to the OFPEC pbo decryptor DL from the Tools section

with this you should be able to depbo it yourself wink_o.gif

http://www.ofpec.com/OFPResources/tools/pbo_decryptor15.zip

it works for me wink_o.gif

FYI, I DePBOed it to learn, not to alter notworthy.gif

depbo.jpg

I have absolutly no problem with people learning from my scripts. I unpacked to learn too once. Still do occasionly.

@thready I think spawning on the leader is just to unrealistic, i never did like it when it was introduced to the bf series of games.

You spawn and its all hectic as you spin around scanning for enemys like captin kirk after being teleprted onto an alien world. Only to be shot in the head or somthing and respawn in the same place seconds later to die again. Blame me for being an old school no respawn fan I suppose. Not dying makes living more fun for me.

In general i do think more needs to be done in evolution to encourage team play like spawning on the team leader would, maybe more objectives in towns. maybe every leader is marked on the map. One thought i had about medics was like bf2, if your a medic and only if your medic you can see somones health or a need medic marker on them on the map and if you heal you get points. Its not to realistic but medics job is nearly impossibil, half the time in arma people dont even know they need a medic to call for one as theres no health bar or life counter, i think if i was shot for real I would know even if it was a mear flesh wound.

Congrats this map has become wildly popular. So many coop servers running it. yay.gif

Kiljoy with the helicopters instead of going back to the old system why not modify it to get the best of both worlds.

- respawn the helicopter if it is in working condition after 20 minutes. 10 mins is too short of time and there is a glut of helos. 20 mins for the side mission people should be enough. A timed respawn is great because so many people abandon and then exit server.

- damaged helicopters get the usual "fix me" marker and if 30 mins passes it will respawn.

Sometimes a helo goes down in the water or at the top of a steep mountain and it is lost. The game shouldn't be a total pain to play for "realism" sake.

I agree with some of the posters above that the dynamic weather is just fluff. More dynamic placement of shilkas etc would really help keep the mission challenging.

Nah, dynamic weather is great. Definitely not fluff, it alters the mission parameters greatly -- fighting through fog or rain. My only advice on the weather would be to a) make it move slower (the rain storms last longer), b) situate the fog around the North Sahrani east coast (makes the last couple of cities like Masbete and Pita a bit more of a challenge, and it's also a logical place for fog to settle, geographically speaking).

I would also make the dynamic weather a little more gradual (ie: have a weather gradient where it starts out as light fog at the border and gradually becomes thicker as you enter the fog bank, so that you don't just suddenly appear in a massive fog bank, you get the sensation of actually entering a fog bank or thunder storm -- it would give you more of a sense of an approaching storm, as well).

Some missions still auto-complete with a divide-by-zero error, unfortunately (WPAT did this to me after running it multiple times with no problems whatsoever).

One last suggestion: Keep somebody from taking a mission in the same area if one's already active -- if six people all take WPAT, there's 18 boats out there on the water. This can get a little more than annoying. Maybe add a (decent enough) time limit to get to the mission area before you get a mission failed report, so people don't just abandon missions to keep others from doing them.

@ April 14 2007,04:27)]@bravo 6

version 1.2

1. MH-6 choppers now respawn in 10 minuites.

If you really want to hang on to them bravo just leave an ai sitting in the back seat. next version i will probably change it back to no respawn because i now have repair markers fixed for jip players.

That restriction makes me so sad and mad! mad_o.gif

Maybe you should add if a player is away from chopper (radius distance and not only time) only then and maybe it would respawn, But then the rescue for choppers mission would be worstless.

There are always more natural ways to solve the situation. But that kinda respawn will make people disconnect due to angry. I will if it happens to me again.

Im glad that you're thinking to turn back to old system. You know that i also created a mission that we had to fix wrecked choppers and bring them back to base.. We took repair and fuel trucks and went on a mission (with no extra points) to bring back the choppers 4500m from the base.

I tell you, it was really fun! In the end we got back 2 choppers to the base, but we took like 2h or so.

<span style='color:blue'>(*)</span>This could be an idea for an another mission that you could implement in Evolution v1.3b.

ie, when we have a wrecked chopper, we are able to see the blue mark on screen and in those situations it would add an option to the missions list (Rescue chopper at grid XXXX), so it would be an rescue "official" mission. (adding points to the team)

It would be fun and people would be encouraged to bring back wrecked choppers to the base by wining some points.

Team work would be crucial, but that's what we want.

@ April 14 2007,04:27)]

If you really want to hang on to them bravo just leave an ai sitting in the back seat.

This should not be the answer.

@ April 14 2007,04:27)]Next version i will probably change it back to no respawn because i now have repair markers fixed for jip players.

Ok, cool. wink_o.gif

@ April 14 2007,04:27)]

People were leaving before because they got into a state where there were no choppers left to use the radar to find other choppers. but now even if you joined late you see repair markers so they wont respawn in the next version i never did like it, it was just a stop gap. lessens the value of choppers, people just fly away (alone) and parachute out of the chopper leaving it crashinto enemy ect. This is not the most realistic mission but respawning mh6 does hurt the authentic feel and lessen motivations to play as a team.

<span style='color:blue'>(*)</span> read again wink_o.gif

@ April 14 2007,04:27)]@Hackers try Depbo.tbh it doesn't phase me that people cant unpack my mission, there's more versions of evolution out now then Ive crashed choppers. I have stated before i would prefer it if people didn't go making modified versions of evolution until I'm finished making it stable. There was a day believe it or not in olden days of ofp , where you didn't re-release other peoples maps, you made your own. It was considerd a sin to even use a script from somones map without a credit note and permission.

I agree!

If your open to suggestions and more ideas for making it funnyer and real, please say so. I have some couple ideas that you could implement in this successful mission!

KilJoy, you've done a great work! Lets make it even better smile_o.gif Shall we?

Yeah its awesome how you did the weather.. I cant belive im still learning ^^ notworthy.gif

This Mission is well and truly inspiring.. Ive got a little movie coming from a Bus Ride we had in the mission.. it was just soo funny.. too bad i only started recording halfway though. lol