Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Armed Assault AI

Ok, let's put you in the situation.

Your in middle of nowhere, no cover, no friendly troops, with only a rifle. Then you get shot at. What do you do?

But yes, that is what the AI acts like some of the time. I have had them sneak up on me when sniping or surrounding me, but nothing groundbreaking.

You should double click your friend and type: this setunitpos "stand" in his init line.

Your friends a.i. isnt bad, it just needs better editing nener.gif .

You should double click your friend and type: this setunitpos "stand" in his init line.

Your friends a.i. isnt bad, it just needs better editing nener.gif .

actually it's "up" not "stand" as far as I know, and the editing should be done by the makers of the ai ;p

Actually what's fundamentally wrong with that (assuming you

are lampooning their behaviour when in contact with the

enemy)? smellyjelly is right. A contact out in the field really

does consist of a scrambling nightmare of flinging

yourself to the ground, firing a couple of rounds, getting up

again, running to the next cover, flinging yourself down again

(repeating as necessary) and it's absolutely and totally

knackering!

The biggest real problem is that when the ArmA bods hit the

deck it is rarely behind any sort of proper cover, and they

often tend to forget the cardinal rule "No movement without

fire!".

I try to keep out of built up areas in ArmA because the

deficiencies in the AI are thrown into stark relief there, but

I do seem to recall someone said that they appear to stay

on their feet more when they are inside buildings.

To really legitimately lampoon them your actor would have to

portray firing a machine gun from the standing unsupported

position, in the middle of the road, firing single shots, with his

hand stuffed up the gun's ejection slot! The fire support

gunners drive me batty in this game, they really do!   crazy_o.gif

I've started to use 'stealth' in almost everykind of combat-situations. Thay atleast try to keep themselves down. I've written this note (different language thou) and attached it to my monitor for editing missions:

1. If defender is weak and it can't fight back the attacker, then go ahead and put attacker to 'combat'-mode, it's (only) bit better than 'aware' or 'safe'...

2. If defender has capacity to fight back, put attacker to 'stealth'-mode: they last bit longer (keep mostly prone) and they see better.

Difference is BIG! Task which they fail misarebly in combat mode, can turn out to be easy-deal in stealth mode... I could understand better if they would use human-wave in 'combat'-mode, but they are not.

It was me who said that they seem to stand in buildings better than in outdoors... But i'm not sure, haven't tested much as i favor wilderness.

Also the AI is far too robotic and clinical and lacks RL human characteristics such as sudden scratching, sneezing or coughing. The odd swear word thrown in on being surprised and an occasional scratching of the boll**ks  wouldn’t go a miss either!  biggrin_o.gif

Ghost Recon did this much better than ArmA!   tounge2.gif

Also a simple script that causes a random soldier to occassionally put his gun on his back and go take a leak behind a bush! .... Where's the imagination of these developers?   tutut.gif

i like how the a,i sometimes scrathces around with their rifles biggrin_o.gif

haha fun video!

Also the AI is far too robotic and clinical and lacks RL human characteristics such as sudden scratching, sneezing or coughing. The odd swear word thrown in on being surprised and an occasional scratching of the boll**ks  wouldn’t go a miss either!  biggrin_o.gif

The way the GR boys (and girls) used to move as if

readjusting their webbing from time to time was good     biggrin_o.gif  

And yeah, we need sneezing, swearing, coughing, farting,

giggling, filthy jokes and sneaking off for a cigarette at any

and every opportunity!

Quote[/b] ]sneaking off for a cigarette at any

and every opportunity!

This is the most important aspect of any military endeavor. The smoke break area is always the first to be built and the only area constantly occupied.

The a.i. shouldnt sneeze or cough, the military is kind enough to use vacines before they expose soldiers to soaked clothing and demanding physical tasks under extreme weather conditions.

I think smoking was considered in OPF but removed for obvious reasons (i smoke and its a very stupid thing to do), i like the random shoulder shake and other moves they do now, its enough to put more life in them but not overdone to a ridiculous level.

There *is* a smoking animation in ArmA, but their hands are empty and they just mime it. If I remember right, it does have "smoking" somewhere in the animation name.

I like the random stuff they do too, wish there would be more of it in vehicles, and maybe some random chatting in "safe" mode. That would be pretty neat, I think.

Also a simple script that causes a random soldier to occassionally put his gun on his back and go take a leak behind a bush! .... Where's the imagination of these developers?   tutut.gif

Tom Clancy's  Rainbow Six: Vegas has the best AI as far as I know. It moves, swears, chit-chats, scraches and a lot more.

Some1 should "borrow whistle.gif " a few lines form R6V, and include it in a Mod. wink_o.gif

If I remember it correctly, for OFP the ECP did some changes in character behaviour, moves and chat as well.

If I remember it correctly, for OFP the ECP did some changes in character behaviour, moves and chat as well.

Yes, they did, and some of their random utterances were

uncannily apropos. I remember on one of my crap home-rolled

missions we missed a trigger and I and my squad were sat

waiting in our transport...and waiting...and waiting. All of a

sudden one of the AI guys says "Is it just me or weren't we

meant to be on a mission?" Brilliant!  rofl.gif

Another time, in the persona of a WW2 British para' I'd just

blatted a squad of Bosche with my Bren gun, and as I ran to

rejoin my section the corporal section commander said [something

like] "Good job, son"    wow_o.gif

I was playing a mission, it was night, and i was lay at ground, with an AK47 AKS74UN shot to a soldier, but a patrol of 4 soldiers that was at 200 meters can hear it? also see throug thicket?

And with sun they can hit you at 400 meters with AK or M4?

Greetings