Sign in to follow this  
LovingSpoonful

Destroying a convey (the first single mission)

I can't get pass the very first single mission and destroy the convoy completely. If I ambush the convoy in the road most of it gets through (although everything I got is used successfully). If I blow up the bridge the mission ends with a "mission failed" message after the first vehicle is destroyed.

Are there hidden explosives somewhere to be found, or what?

what bridge? huh.gif

anyway, you start with a 4x4 next to you, don't you? Special Forces often use civilian trucks for their operations. so you might wanna check it out... wink_o.gif

next, the suggested ambush location is not suitable. proceed to the nearby town. you'll encounter a UAZ behind some houses. sneak up behind it around the house and eliminate its crew.

next, locate the street going right through the town. it's pretty obvious, this is where you want to ambush the convoy.

lay a mine on the street just outside of town, where the convoy will exit the town. this will blow up the lead BMP.

also lay several satchel charges on the road through town. you should have enough to place half a dozen charges on the road and at least one additional charge or mine in the grass at the entrance of town, left of the road, because this is where the last vehicles will try to circle around the town once your mine has detonated.

wait for the convoy to arrive and the BMP to blow up on your mine. when the trucks are well in the town, blow the charges. this should take care of about 3 trucks. or more.

some vehicles might try to go around the town. but they will be stopped by the explosives you've placed in the grass.

one or two vehicles, including another BMP, will probably be left intact. destroy them with an M-136.

on your way out of town, make sure you won't be coming under fire from surviving infantry.

no problem. there may be other ways to complete this mission, but this is what i've been told by other people here and what has worked well for me. but maybe you can improve that plan further, or even find a new one. wink_o.gif

While replaying it and having busted the convoi already i went over the bridge to see where they were heading actually.

I always do such stuff to see if the mission editor put some time into the accurate design of the mission. xmas_o.gif

Well, on the island I found 2 T72´s standing around. As I only had 1 At weapon left I chose a good spot fired at one of them, the crew bailed out, I killed the crew, got into the damage T72, shot the other T72 and drove the remaining T72 into the sea to destroy it.

All dandy, all dead.

When I went back to the town where the ambush had taken place a BRDM was awaiting me, but I was speeding so fast that he was not able to shoot me at once. I slided behind the blown BMP, picked up nades from dead units around and blew the BRDM aswell.

Funny stuff smile_o.gif

I successfully ambushed the convoy at the first location. I put a mine to blow the first BMP that leads the convoy, then a string of satchel charges to blow the blocked trucks. Then, I take on the survivors with a M136.

The BIG problem is : I can't finish the mission. When I have the message 'objective complete', I run to the extraction point. There I wait for the chopper, that flies above and lands.... right next to the destroyed convoy. So I run to him, but as the chopper gets quite a lot of bullets, he decides to get back to the extraction point. And he does it until he runs out of fuel, or gets shot down, or crashes into a tree, or I get killed by remaining forces.

I tried it ten times now, I'm growing tired of this half done mission. crazy_o.gif

Malick

I tried it ten times now, I'm growing tired of this half done mission.  crazy_o.gif

Malick

wait till you play the campaign sad_o.gif ...

i never had a problem finishing this mission, though. are you sure you got the complete convoy? there's a second BMP following the convoy.

Yes, I did take out the whole convoy, at least I got the 'objective complete' message.

The problem is with the chopper pilot for extraction that is not even able to find a spot for landing. He turns or crashes or land near an enemy unit. I still can't get aboard !

Malick

Quote[/b] ]I tried it ten times now, I'm growing tired of this half done mission.

Obviously you have found out that there are enemy troops at the LZ. Wouldn´t it be a smart move to take them out ? It´s only 3 guys, 2 coming from the bushes and one offset to the right of the LZ. Go take them out before you run to the extraction mapmark. I found it more easier to get them if they are not already engaging the helicopter.

Even in real life a helo would break if it comes under ground fire. Quite natural that he breaks the extraction if he´s coming under fire in Arma.

only problem i have with this mission is that i don't have enough time to lay all the satchel charges and mines.. even when i drive to the ambush site in the 4x4

just when one gets to the road the guy says that he can see the convoy, then you know you have about a minute or two left before they arrive

sometimes its not that bad for time,but when you have to continually walk around the 4x4 to find that "weapon" gear icon sweet-spot it can drive you nuts and slow you down.

there never seems enough time to lay all the mines and satchel charges. i don't know how people have the time to be driving all the way to the next town.

does anybody know if the time value can be adjusted so i can spend 10 minutes setting up my attack ?

Obviously you have found out that there are enemy troops at the LZ. Wouldn´t it be a smart move to take them out ? It´s only 3 guys, 2 coming from the bushes and one offset to the right of the LZ. Go take them out before you run to the extraction mapmark. I found it more easier to get them if they are not already engaging the helicopter.

Even in real life a helo would break if it comes under ground fire. Quite natural that he breaks the extraction if he´s coming under fire in Arma.

You probably misread...

I managed to take the enemies out at the LZ. But the chopper doesn't land. Or if he lands, it's at least a kilometer away.

Happily, I had more than 1500m view distance, so I could follow it with binocs. Otherwise, the sound was too muffled by the vegetation. Now, I finished the mission, after a long jogging through the woods, hoping not to cross an UAZ, BMP or BRDM...

The problem seems to lie more in the pilot's AI (unable to land where told to) than in the mission itself.

Malick

When i got to the LZ the chopper flew off and the 2 guys shot at it, it crashed and set it on fire. I killed the guys and went to the chopper, which was all burnt out and the mission completed.

i completed this one on pure luck 2nd time i tried. and at the suggested location. when it said objective completed. i ran to the escape point while bullets flew around my head from a few enemies who didnt die.

If this is the ambush in the woods, I drove a vehicle and parked it across the road.

Can't remember the armament exactly but I placed mines to the side of this vehicle (to get the tank that tried to wobble round). By then, the rest of the convoy stacked up on the bend and the satchel charges I already placed took out everything but a BMP (M136'd) and a truck. I solved the truck by killing the driver and driving it away.

Mission completed. wink_o.gif

One time when I was trying this mission, I managed to destroy one or two vehicles, and then the game said that the objective was complete. crazy_o.gif Too bad I ended up dying, but I still would have redone the mission and finished it correctly.

Anyways, when I beat the mission for real, the helicopter "hovered" no where near the extraction point. I had to run quite a bit, and when I was near the helicopter, I found an enemy running around in the bushes. Luckfully I killed him and the mission ended just fine.

Is it a version differences? I'm using 1.05 upgrade from 1.04. There is no mine for me to choose in briefing screen... and only 1 satchel charge... So I loaded up with 4 M136 rockets, leaving 2 M4 magazines behind.

After the mission started, I drove the 4x4 to the road exit of the nearby woods and parked across the road like Duffers did. Then I set the satchel charge about 10 meters away from the 4x4. and hided at the spot with 4 trees around, overlooking the road. When the convoy arrived, the lead BMP stopped in front of the satchel charge, following by the truck loaded with soldiers. I took out the truck with my M136 and touched off the bomb at the same time to destroy the BMP. A tree was also bombed down in the progress and blocked the road completely. Then I killed the other BMP and the rest of the convoy became sitting duck. Since the last three trucks was loaded with explosive so a chain reaction will occured if they close enough. I managed to kill them all with only one shot.

Mission Complete!

dam u peeps, i guess u never play OPF. one satchel charge, 1  M136, all the rest u can kill with rifle, if u so visios and want blast everything, there would be lots of granates in ammo ural, if u good with ur rifle.

Heh, when I did it i went to JUST past the bend in the road as it comes out of the woods (a bit before where the waypoint is marked) and placed the mines on and around the road (Closing off that route basically). Then, I went even farther up the road putting satchel charges spaced fairly far apart, and went to hide. As the first BMP comes around the bend, he gets taken out creating a roadblock, and the trucks kind of mill around back in the woods for a minute. I waited a few moments until the time felt right, and blew the satchels. When I came around, 3 trucks and the BMP were all gone. M136 easily cleans up the rest, so long as you can use the trees to keep outta sight wink_o.gif

It seems that the extraction problem is still present in the US version of the game - when I played this mission, I destroyed the convoy and got to the extraction point.

First of all, I really don't understand how the enemy soldiers know the exact location of the extraction point - it's very annoying that they're already there, waiting. This is not a "bug" but it's unrealistic for sure. I think it'd be a lot better if they were patrolling the area - it wouldn't feel so scripted.

Anyway, I got them and then the helicopter came. In many cases, the helicopter is shut down by someone or something far out, above the sea. The shots seems to come from one of the other islands, because no enemy is left around the LZ and when I watched this happen through binoculars, the origin of the shots seems to be very far away.

Even when the helicopter is not shot, for at least 10-15 times it was just hovering above the LZ, no matter what. (BTW, I think it should be considered a bug that I have to step on the waypoint markers to proceed with the mission.)

For a few times, the helo landed (far away from the LZ), and the pilot jumped out right away and the mission failed. I watched this, too, through binoculars, so I', fairly sure that it was not shot down. I ran around the area several times - I don't think there was any enemy left.

I was finally able to finish the mission, after reloading it 25+ times - the helo was not shot down and it was able to land (although about 250 meters from the LZ.) huh.gif

I like ArmA, and really look forward to fixes to these problems.

Just check my video of the destroy the convoy..

linked on my sig "convoy pwnage"

First of all, I really don't understand how the enemy soldiers know the exact location of the extraction point - it's very annoying that they're already there, waiting. This is not a "bug" but it's unrealistic for sure. I think it'd be a lot better if they were patrolling the area - it wouldn't feel so scripted.

That (and some other situations) were heavily scripted, and the AI was using information that they realistically shouldn't have.

That's why they knew exactly where to expect you.

Because of that, and because the mission is nearly impossible to finish for a newcomer to ArmA (who will most likely try this one first), I decided to create a more "user-friendly" (and fairer) version of it.

It's posted in the User Mission section, under Ambush Convoy Revisited.

Great Idea Kronzky! wink_o.gif Whats different about it? I'm DLing it and gonna play it over, just curious.

Kronzky,

Yes, I guessed the script part - I did some (unpublished) scripting in OFP. I was hoping that these kind of hardcoded placements will be missing from ArmA. You see, I don't mind getting shot if I make a stupid mistake - that's the price of being dumb. And I also don't mind hardcoded enemies, as long as it makes sense for it to happen that way. But in case of this mission, having those soldiers patrolling the area is realistic and the player might (or might not) run into them. I simply don't like those cases when something is so obviously hardcoded.

Anyway, it's good that you created a different version of it - I'll download and check it out. I read your description, it looks very good! smile_o.gif

Is it a version differences? I'm using 1.05 upgrade from 1.04. There is no mine for me to choose in briefing screen... and only 1 satchel charge... So I loaded up with 4 M136 rockets, leaving 2 M4 magazines behind.

After the mission started, I drove the 4x4 to the road exit of the nearby woods and parked across the road like Duffers did. Then I set the satchel charge about 10 meters away from the 4x4. and hided at the spot with 4 trees around, overlooking the road. When the convoy arrived, the lead BMP stopped in front of the satchel charge, following by the truck loaded with soldiers. I took out the truck with my M136 and touched off the bomb at the same time to destroy the BMP. A tree was also bombed down in the progress and blocked the road completely. Then I killed the other BMP and the rest of the convoy became sitting duck. Since the last three trucks was loaded with explosive so a chain reaction will occured if they close enough. I managed to kill them all with only one shot.

Mission Complete!

Thanks to you Airborne_hk, I successfully completed this mission. During the past 3-4 days I must have tried 20 times and failed each and every attempt. It never occurred to me to drive the 4x4 down to the road, plant the one satchel charge and then take out the truck with soldiers and 2 BMP's. Thank you very much for your advice. pukey

That (and some other situations) were heavily scripted, and the AI was using information that they realistically shouldn't have.

That's why they knew exactly where to expect you.

Because of that, and because the mission is nearly impossible to finish for a newcomer to ArmA (who will most likely try this one first), I decided to create a more "user-friendly" (and fairer) version of it.

It's posted in the User Mission section, under Ambush Convoy Revisited.

sounds cool, gonna try it out.