Sign in to follow this  
LovingSpoonful

Destroying a convey (the first single mission)

I used the default gear to start the mission.

Ran to the 4x4, got in, drove to the road and got out. Then I took a mine and a bunch of satchel charges. Planted the mine about 60 metres ahead the road from the "yellow box."

Then I planted 4 satchels along the road with about 40m spacing.

Then I sat under a tree above the road and waited... and waited... and waited... until the BMP drove along. And hit the mine.

Then I detonated the charges and blasted the last Ural with M136 and off to the extraction point.

Reached it, avoided the enemy and zigzagged to the chopper, that always decides to land about 200m away from the extraction point, and got in.

"Mission complete"

I finished this mission on the second try, I though it was easy but... I had the lower dificulty setting (not the VETERAN, the other, I forgot what it is). Do you guys al play on VETERAN?

And as someone has already pointed out. You can gear up from the back of the 4x4 you start with! There is enough explosives in it to sink the entire island.

And as someone has already pointed out. You can gear up from the back of the 4x4 you start with! There is enough explosives in it to sink the entire island.

nice avatar... is that you smile_o.gif

My exfil chopper came in and flipped over into the trees and blew up. WTF!!

I have played OFP since 2001 and find this mission hard, unrealistic and poorly done. There are so many quirks in the US version that it is completely frustrating to try and complete, and I have not finished it yet.

The bridge as it is completely unguarded is the tactical choice for this undertaking. Blow the lead vehicle with a mine on one end and seriously cripple the rest with well spaced satchel charges. Then clean up with an M136 and/or M4 as necessary.

But noooo...take out the lead vehicle at the bridgehead and immediately fail the mission. OFP/ArmA should be wide open letting the player determine how to attack an objective, not some linear piece of trash this mission is.

There must be some kind of countside condition for the trigger, because sometimes I get the objective complete with some vehicles left.

At any result, no matter what I do in the US version, the helo always is either shot down or crashes or lands 1000 meters away.

Very poorly done for the lead-off SP mission outside of the campaign. I am scared to think what the campaign is like based on this effort (or lack of).

Quite frankly, I have beta tested community missions that were miles better than this mission.

Ranger, what is your View Distance settings?

I guess with new version of the game and better VD we can use, the original AI spotting and engaging settings (as well as mission layouts and distances) are not really fitting anymore.

Ranger, what is your View Distance settings?

I guess with new version of the game and better VD we can use, the original AI spotting and engaging settings (as well as mission layouts and distances) are not really fitting anymore.

My visibility slider is set to 1200 if that is what you mean.

Yup, that's what I was talking about.

And your setting doesn't fit my explanation, because it's not that high, so your problem is something else.

I didn't have the same issues with the chopper, but I've heard you're not alone having them

Quote[/b] ]At any result, no matter what I do in the US version, the helo always is either shot down or crashes or lands 1000 meters away.

It gets shot down by the 2 tanks on the island as with patched Arma version tanks do engage helicopters. Adapt to the situation and take out those tanks before you head for extraction.

The mission seems to fail for you because the enemy units get to close to their destination. I would place my bets that there is a trigger covering the region that fails the mission as soon as they get there. Easy solution, attack them where they have little space to evade.

Talking about real life, it would be very stupid to attack a convoi that close to an enemy base if you have the chance to take it out in a decent distance. If you use the village to attack you have them all in the sack at once.

A bridge may be nice for an ambush but in real life bridges are in most of the cases a valuable thing that you are not supposed to destroy unless you want to achieve something special with it.

Quote[/b] ]At any result, no matter what I do in the US version, the helo always is either shot down or crashes or lands 1000 meters away.

It gets shot down by the 2 tanks on the island as with patched Arma version tanks do engage helicopters. Adapt to the situation and take out those tanks before you head for extraction.

The mission seems to fail for you because the enemy units get to close to their destination. I would place my bets that there is a trigger covering the region that fails the mission as soon as they get there. Easy solution, attack them where they have little space to evade.

Talking about real life, it would be very stupid to attack a convoi that close to an enemy base if you have the chance to take it out in a decent distance. If you use the village to attack you have them all in the sack at once.

A bridge may be nice for an ambush but in real life bridges are in most of the cases a valuable thing that you are not supposed to destroy unless you want to achieve something special with it.

Thanks for the tip on the tanks xmas_o.gif - items not mentioned in the briefing and appearing nowhere on the map, so I take it I have to huff it for miles just to find them, if they are not back it the convoy origin/base.

Craptastic mission design. Did anyone beta test these missions before ArmA went gold? whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ] items not mentioned in the briefing and appearing nowhere on the map

Call it crappy intel but the map and the briefing tells you that there is a base on the island -> conclusion -> enemy forces -> with 1.07 vehicles engaging air targets -> helo down

I noticed that they don´t shoot at the helo all the time, but sometimes they do and that´s game over. Same for the 3 guys hopping out of the bushes at Exfil, get them fast or they´ll get Mr chopper

I agee with RangerX3X that this mission is cr@p. I blew up the convoy even before the town and the chopper was shot down very far out, over the water, when I couldn't even see it without binoculars. The shots came from a large distance and I'm using 1.06, in which tanks don't engage choppers, I think.) Also, the chopper crashed on its own so many times that I lost count.

And it's not cr@ppy intel, its cr@ppy mission design, really - see my previous post in this thread about the enemy soldiers placed exactly around the landing zone, facing the player's only possible approach direction. Such design makes for unrealistic missions.

Kronzky's version is a *lot* better - the original BIS mission is almost unplayable.

I have a problem with this mission. The convoy seems to be stuck at a waypoint, I've waited for 20 min now and they won't move, but when I aproach them they will ofcourse shoot at me. confused_o.gif

How long does it take before the convoy is at the town?

Sounds like bug with the scripting.

I took the mission and modified it for two players. its a lot more entertaining smile_o.gif

Hi,

There can be other causes for the helicopter being shot down over the water besides any T72's. When I destroyed the convoy and taken out the troops stalking the LZ before moving on to trigger the helicopter to pick me up, the Blackhawk showed signs of damage. One of the soldiers lurking in the bushes near the LZ has a PK though, which could have engaged the helicopter while in the air before I took him out, while the BMP2 accompanying the convoy may also have engaged it with its weapons. The latter vehicle survived when I took out the convoy (the objective was marked after destroying the trucks) and pursued me before I immobilised it with the M203 and made my way to the LZ.

Regards,

Sander