Sign in to follow this  
william1

Arma , the ultimate driving simulator

And I thought Armed Assault was a military simulator icon_rolleyes.gif

Widen your horizons. ArmA's also just a simulator, an island simulator. You're ceating yourself of some damn funny, but also just nice moments. Cruising Sahrani in a safe pace, with friends in a couple of 4x4 Coyotas.

Perhaps, but I prefer to play a long Coop mission rather than drive around the Island with a bunch of friends. If you enjoy doing that then go ahead smile_o.gif I just think that there are better games to drive around with online, although I do enjoy flying a Blackhawk around the island so you raise a good point ... it just takes forever to drive anywhere :P

Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy ArmA because it's a great driving physics and I do stick to regular combat coop. But we've also had some 'fun-nights' where we just messed about without purpose.

And I thought Armed Assault was a military simulator  icon_rolleyes.gif

and i thought ArmA was a military computer game whistle.gif .

Hands up who has set up missions with cars or choppers and wasted hours just touring the bloody island. Then set up fuel trucks so they can continue.

Militray Sim yes, and the ulitimate Sandbox with mod tools on the PC.

Ariel race, driving games coming as a mod near you soon.

actually what i hate on car driving is this instant slowdown on road edges yet prior you get out of flat surface ...

wish there is " 1/3 slower" region between main road surface and non-road surface

A couple of days ago I took this tour in a 4X4(the military one with no roof). I can recommend it. I made 4 stops along the way to take a closer look at the view.I had the cd player on with some trucker country songs in the background. The coast line part was really nice. Maybe a little to small road and a little bumpy, but with the sea on the left and the mountains to the right it was pretty nice.The whole trip must have taken at least a hour, maybe more. Oh by the way my gf declared me insane. lol biggrin_o.gif

mapamalowreshalftnyc8.gif

i've got the game recently but one of the things i like most of Arma is the reallistic feeeling it has to drive a car by the islands , it as good as the best driving simulator out there . in fact i enjoy driving so much as fighting Lol biggrin_o.gif . now i don't need to go on hollidays anymore , i can have virtual hollidays in Arma , all we need is some beautiful girls in bikini for the beaches and a car with FM radio !

Driving is improved but the best driving simulator... crazy_o.gif

You probably never played GTR2, that's the most realistic driving simulator imo (by far) and trackIR supported btw.

btw, about the motorcycles:

I would like to see the possibility to pull your motorcyle up & down with the joystick with the appropriate animation (for controlled wheelies you know smile_o.gif )

Is that possible BIS?

Psst... I think he meant 'going for a drive' simulator, rather than 'race driving'. As you can plainly see, GTR has no option to just go for a drive and therefore as a 'going for a drive' simulator, it pales in comparison to ArmA. On the other hand, making a dedicated 'going for a drive' simulator with all of the simulations.. cup holders, irate sunday drivers, driver's bladder, etc would probably not be a big seller!

Calling it a driving simulator is an exaggeration - OFP doesn't simulate any vehicles in it with particular precision. You cannot use transmission manually, and I doubt other aspects of driving are carefully simulated either.

But the feel of the drive is definately good, especially when compared to OFP. Even though the car physics still don't allow you to land upside down after a jump from a cliff (like in GTA) and so you can drive recklessly, the cars behave quite realistically.

the dirtbike/enduro pchycics are the worst you could ever imagine. Very uncontrollable, they are waaaaaaaaay to weak, especially for a 640 and a 1000. Acceleration is to slow and they turn the same, doesn't matter if you're doing 40 or 80. Dunno about the cars tough, never tried it but it sure as hell doesn't seem right icon_rolleyes.gif

KTM 525 EXC

they should be like that thumbs-up.gif

that is in acceleration and a few other things.

Calling it a driving simulator is an exaggeration - OFP doesn't simulate any vehicles in it with particular precision. You cannot use transmission manually, and I doubt other aspects of driving are carefully simulated either.

But the feel of the drive is definately good, especially when compared to OFP. Even though the car physics still don't allow you to land upside down after a jump from a cliff (like in GTA) and so you can drive recklessly, the cars behave quite realistically.

By that logic it can't really be called an anything simulator, and neither can vbs1.

I've flipped a couple of vehicles, actually. In the demo CTF, a friend of mine and I were driving around the circuit of the bluefor base in a bdrm, shooting as we went.. trying not to be hit by a rocket. He accidently struck a concrete bench on the left front panel at about 50 km/h and over we went! I thought that was pretty cool!

By that logic it can't really be called an anything simulator, and neither can vbs1.

I've flipped a couple of vehicles, actually. In the demo CTF, a friend of mine and I were driving around the circuit of the bluefor base in a bdrm, shooting as we went.. trying not to be hit by a rocket. He accidently struck a concrete bench on the left front panel at about 50 km/h and over we went! I thought that was pretty cool!

Yeah, I just noticed too that sometimes vehicles can be flipped by driving up a slope - couldn't do it with a T-72, though. And sometimes you can park a car on a very steep slope, ie. one on which you will slip and break your neck if you get out of the vehicle. Looks funny.

As to what constitutes a simulator in which respect, I expect more accuracy from bona fide simulators than there is in ArmA cars. What the game's purpose IMO is, though, is to simulate small unit combat.

I agree, driving around is fun smile_o.gif

"Tyres oxidising" is mentioned earlier in this topic - not sure if that is correct, why would they oxidise if you hit something? Tyres don't oxidise - ferrous metals, as an example, do.