Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Ingame VOIP not heard

I recently bought the 1.5 retail version of ArmA, and havent heard a soul over VOIP, and have failed to be heard myself.

It worked on the 1.3 demo release if I remember correctly.

I use Ventrilo to communicate with my AEF colleagues, but when we're on a public server there is a desperate need for voice comms with the other players, so we can work together as a unit, as the game is supposed to play. Trying to type messages in the heat of battle is just a no-go.

I love the way it has been implemented with the channels:

global

side

team (squad I'm guessing)

vehicle

direct

I just wish it would work.

Please, fix this soon.

Born2Die

AEF Inc. - Leading the way

www.aef-hq.com.au/aef3

When I did use the VOIP, I was neevr quite sure whether I should hold the key down or just tap it once for on and once for off. According to the HUD it seemed to work like an on/off switch.

-Fenix out

To use VOIP, when it's working, press  and hold CAPSLOCK whilst you talk.

Alternatively, you can double-press CAPSLOCK to keep it turned on, and then double-press it again to turn it off.

Born2Die

AEF Inc. - Leading the way

www.aef-hq.com.au/aef3

Well, I press SPACE to talk on VoN and I tap it and the microphone icon appears until I tap it again. Presumably, that means it's an on/off switch. What command is your CAPS-LOCK bound to?

I'm really very bored of VoN not working. Very, very, very bored indeed. It's essential in Veteran mode for exchanging info with people who are with you when you don't know who they are. You can even prevent TK's by using verbal challenges. Did I mention how bored I was with this feature being broken? No? Well, I'm very bored.

Just go to your keys settings. You can make the VOIP to work like on/off switch or push-to-talk. Both options are there.

I agree VOIP is essential feature that should be working, especially when BIS has implemented the direct talk in such a realistic way. I've seen VOIP like the direct talk (directional, proximity based voice with lipsync) working in this way only in one other game before (Vietcong), and it was one of the most loved feature in that game by the coop community.

Hopefully it'll be fixed as soon as possible.

VOIP not working most propably has something to do with the client/server being behind a NAT, in LAN it works...

are the lips moving in local test, just start MP server on your own and play alone. Mine isnt.

VOIP worked just fine with OFP when you ran server in directplay mode instead of sockets. Problem was quality, your voice was too robotic.

As for ArmA, there seems to be no option to run it in directplay mode? Atleast not for self hosted non-dedicated servers. VOIP worked just fine with v1.03 demo, but not with v1.05 full version. This is just my experience with VOIP.

Funny how the 1.05 release notes harped on about the new revolutionary changes to the VOIP features. But 1.05 broke the VOIP!

How can BIS of missed this in their testing. Maybe they just test on LAN's?

When it works, it will be awesome.

The channel breakdown is something I've wanted in games for years!

I had problems in BF2 with the VOIP, and it was actually down to my headset. Others had to open ports. I immediately thought it was a firewall issue, but many have tested with every port under the sun open or forwarded.

This is a major, major issue. Why BIS are treating it like they are, I don't know.

Im stating what everyone else has said, but yea it doesn't work, ive played on over 6 1.06 dedicated servers and non dedicated and it doesn't work on any setting..... Although at the same time in the same server others had it working like 2 ppl out of 20.

VOIP has been now fixed and is included int he newest patch.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_Beta_Patch_1.07

This is what Suma said in the bugtracker:

"We have implemented a workaround solution for situations where NAT traversal fails for VoN. Moreover, we have added a sound source management to prevent VoN using excessive number of sound channels."

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2137

I still cannot hear most people, I heard someone but the other 2 I could not hear and they did not hear me neither.

I have the ArmA ports open so I don't understand why I can not hear them. No firewall active when I'm playing so I have NO idea what is wrong, any else that can help me?

Checked VOIP on my dedicated server yesterday. It doesn't work for everyone. Like paragraphic l wrote: "I heard someone but the other 2 I could not hear and they did not hear me neither". Someone can hear some people and others can't... very weird. Tried on host server - doesn't work perfectly either. I could hear other player, but he couldn't hear me and he was talking at role selection screen, but in game it didn't work at all. Direct speech produced some crappy distorted sounds from player, but his mouth was moving.

I can second that. VOIP is completely unusable in a dedicated server(1.07 beta-patchedx2) environment. It works for 1 out of 5 players. And even then it cuts out from time to time. I am very disappointed in this feature not working, it is deterimental to teamplay not to have a single source of voicecomm on servers. Now players have to use teamspeak, ventrillo, skype and other available means. Needless to say this does not promote usage of voip.

VOIP seems to work on some servers, not others. My buddy and I played last night on Radishville.com server, and it didn't work. But it worked fine on the Drunken Assassin's server. Odd.

And yes, the mouth's moved when it was working. Though the quality of the sound wasn't the best. It crackled quite a bit. Not nearly as clean as Teamspeak or Ventrillo.

So, I ask everyone to write here any positive and negative experience with VOIP since 1.08

My feedback (1 day of play):

1. It seems to be stable. I mean neither game nor server is CTD now.

2. It is partially working. Someone can't hear or can't talk sometimes.

3. Sound quality is bad. Maybe it is not that bad, but I think this is cause of #4.

4. Sound volume is too low. It is very hard to understand somebody even listening carefully... I'm not mentioning its vainness during combat, when there are a lot of noise. BTW, my radio volume is set to 10.0 in game sound settings.

So my conclusion: It is not applicable. (at least for me and any players of our community on our server)

This is what I added into the Bugtracker (BTW, you can put vonCodecQuality=10; in your server.cfg and I think the quality is great!! Though it seemed that when I hosted from my home connection even with quality=10, the quality was less good then when I hosted with same settings from a 100mbit server, so be advised; you need the bandwidth available it seems biggrin_o.gif):

Will add more details ASAP with arma.rpt and people's NAT Configuration but basicly the problems:

- Sometimes a voice remains in a loop and so keeps playing until reconnect

- Many times some ppl can not hear some other ppl, while those could be heard by other ppl... and so on and so on.

Usually it simply seems that everything is working fine for some moments but breaks throughout playing/the game. Especially considering ppl that join in LATER, JIP etc.

Also, the sound can still 'crack' too much when someone is speaking too loud.

Volume is still not loud enough, if the current volume could be set higher while we can toy around with the Radio Volume as now, that would be great.

Also, when you put radio volume higher, you effectively put Direct Speak lower, altough this is kinda a result of the fact that radio is louder or better said, effects is lower... still it would be nice if we really would be able to simply turn effects down while still pertaining a proper volumed Direct Speak AND Radio Volume.

Also it's very notable as the voices that are built in for radio are louder than the ingame voices smile_o.gif

Also, moving away in direct speak puts the volume quite lower per meter you are further away... but I think the volume drops too fast, but also the lowest volume remains hearable for quite a while, so when ur 20m away you can barely hear what ppl are saying, but at 60m you can still hear sound coming from the person but you totally of course dont know what they are saying... So it kinda seems that the 'reach' of the sound should be shorter, though the volume needs to be higher smile_o.gif

T(BTW, you can put vonCodecQuality=10; in your server.cfg and I think the quality is great!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this.

BTW, are you sure, that this option is available?

It is not mentioned at http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

I tried it and it is mate, or I must've been hearing ghosts. Let's put it this way, I tried it on server without the setting and it was horror, while when I went on my own server where I directly set the vonCodecQuality=10; the sound was very clear though indeed the volume wrecks it.

Changelog mentions the setting btw

I discovered that in-game sound 'effect' drowns out the sound of the VON/VOIP.  Once I changed my 'effect' to 6-7 ish from 10, the VON/VOIP became much easier to hear.   wink_o.gif

Dedicated server with fast connection.

VoN was working fine and then cut out during a mission. Never to start again. Will try to restart the server and see if that fixes it.

It's really frustrating to finally see VoN working and then have it be so unstable! crazy_o.gif The voice was a little quiet but ok.