Sign in to follow this  

A proper sniper

One thing I loved about the old sniper skin in OFP was that it blended decently well into foliage.

Ever since I went to Battlefield 2 for my sniping fix i've gotten used to a well camoflaged sniper skin with a ghille suit.

However, there is no ghille skinned sniper at all in AA! I'm hoping to make a couple of multiplayer sniper fest missions and the lack of a ghille suit takes a large chunk of the fun away. It becomes trivial to spot other players and takes away a massive part of the challenge away.

Is there any chance of bis adding a proper sniper to the game at all?

if bis dosn't an addonmaker will biggrin_o.gif only problem i see with that is that sahrani is multicoloured as far as the landscape goes, desert in one area, dense woodland in another, if an addonmaker does make one he will have to make an entire set for the different environments on the island

if bis dosn't an addonmaker will biggrin_o.gif only problem i see with that is that sahrani is multicoloured as far as the landscape goes, desert in one area, dense woodland in another, if an addonmaker does make one he will have to make an entire set for the different environments on the island

That wouldn't be too difficult.

As good a place as any to complain about there being no proper spec ops or sniper skins in ArmA.

Strikes me as odd.

nothing at all, Special Forces don't usually run around with balaclavas looking like ninjas in all black. They generally wear the same ACU uniform, just with all the appropriate patches and such (you can complain about the ACU uniform though, its missing all the bells and whistles). They also have some different gear, like the leg holsters and such on the bis models.

I know, I'm in special operations, it was a loaded question. Deployment-wise, SF and SOF might wear something else depending on mission parameters, unit SOP, and soldier's preference. But the ACU is very much the required uniform for garrison use as of 1 March 07. Exceptions? Sure, on a case by case basis, and mostly for training requirements. (OpFor, Robin Sage, SFAS, etc)

*edit*

And, since the Sahrani mission was originally a training exercise, Garrison it is!

I haven't deployed with USASOC yet, but in my first deployment to Iraq, everybody wore helmets, including the guys from 10th SFG.They had a different style helmet than we did, but at the time, we were running around in the older K-pots. The team I am assigned to now was issued the ACH, and we are trying to get permission to buy personal ballistic vests and helmets, until then, we have the standard IBA + ACH combo.

In short, yes.

Today is the last day for wearing my beloved BDUs and I have a jump tonight.

I totally agree, the snipers should have a ghillie suit, but with the FPS i get around bushes in arma.. i don't think i'd want that thing following round with me all game hehe.

so clavicula do you think the models for the SO in arma are accurate, i dont really like them that much, they dont really look right to me atleast but if someone who knows what they should look like can give an opinion that would help, also i wouldn't mind there being a support gunner in the SO group. (i know this is slightly off topic)

so clavicula do you think the models for the SO in arma are accurate, i dont really like them that much, they dont really look right to me atleast but if someone who knows what they should look like can give an opinion that would help, also i wouldn't mind there being a support gunner in the SO group. (i know this is slightly off topic)

What do you mean by SO?

Generally, the models are all sorta inaccurate and general. All 3 sides have the IBA has the basis for their body armor, the textures are quite wacky too in some cases. The S. Sahrani officer in the cutscenes has a big ol' De Oppresso Libre crest on his chest, and the N. Sahrani pilots have US Air Assault wings on their left sleeve.

The BLUFOR officer is wearing a Marine cap, for example, and there are other things.

*edit*

You probably meant the special operations soldiers. If so, well, I dunno, like I said above, the models are done in a way that they're generalized and open for further changes down the road when the tools come out.

The vests don't have quite as much junk as we carry at times, but most of that goes up to the individual soldier and unit SOP. For example, I keep a Rino and a D-Ring on my vest, neither of these are represented by the default model and both of these are rather common items. It doesn't make it wrong, just generalized.

I think the models are fine for what they are meant to be used for, and that is giving us something to base off of when we start making our own addons.

I always wanted a Ghillie Suit..

Just like in OFP they were awsome.

ghillieS1.jpg

now imagine what an ArmA one would look like..

Ghillie suits would be quite neat, especially for those of you who can run the game fine with the grass on. (Not me! I run SaraNG!wink_o.gif Oh well, maybe when Dual-Core becomes supported better.

thanks clavicula, cant wait for some units once the tools come out, i used to love the BAS addons for OFP, was really quite good. that picture of the sniper brings back memories!

Arma could do with some extra sniper units with better camo.

The default sniper units are fine, but they are no good for the types of sniper maps I want to make for Arma.