Sign in to follow this  
snake22000

White "fog" even with high viewdistance (8800GTX)

Hmm - be interesting to know if those new drivers fix things.  As I posted over in the view distance thread:-

Fantastic screens - thank you.  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I'm pretty sure your "8800 bug" happens on all cards and is the result of the issue cited in the root post.

As the owner of an 8800 GTX I can assure you this card has problems that are peculiar to it.  The effect is easiest to demonstrate with a picture from another game.  See this picture from this thread  Note the very flat, almost cell-shaded effect on Alyx and the nearby machinery.  I've seen the same effect as 'banding' on nearby buildings in ArmA though it's to a lesser extent and it's generally more noticable as excessive fog at medium distances.  Discussion on the forum leaves it unclear whether this is an Nvidia driver problem or an issue with DX9/DX10 compatibility in the Source engine.

That said, this may be a bug that affects all cards at high view distance and which BIS has uncovered through investigating the 8800 behaviour where it appears at short distances.  Only Suma or one of the devs could conclusively answer that.  smile_o.gif

Has anyone tried the 100.xx drivers to see if this worked yet, I think they are on http://guru3d.com/

im using them on my 8800gtx, they work fine, ArmA mark increased 500 points, and just on a sidenote, i get to run Oblivion at max settings without a single hiccup yay.gif

Ever thought your 8800 GTx is SO POWERFUL it can see the ozone buildup and Smog the other cards can't in the ARMA gameworld?

ROFL

8800 users, we can see "climate change" in ARMA, the new 1.06 patch installs the koyoto protocol for our game world. With emissions down the Smog clears for you.

Roll on 1.06 when 100's of people then moan its to clear....

You can see the PR for the patch:

BIH have acted after user concerns of climate warming in the ARMA gameworld. High tech PC gamers detected Ozone build up from the many viechles in the game not having catalitic converters. Industry in the 400sq KM area has also signed up to Koyoto Treaty and agreed to cut carbon emissions by 50% in this latest patch.

This has lead to a massive reduction in SMOG and Ozone and even on a hot sunny day ARMA players can now see 10km. Emission's were so bad by patch 1.05 Nvidia 8800 users could see evidence air quality was down to a 2-3km visable range.

The only thing the two warring factions could agree on was to cut CO2 emissions.

Has anyone tried the 100.xx drivers to see if this worked yet, I think they are on http://guru3d.com/

im using them on my 8800gtx, they work fine, ArmA mark increased 500 points, and just on a sidenote, i get to run Oblivion at max settings without a single hiccup yay.gif

Yeah but did they fix the fog problem?

im using them on my 8800gtx, they work fine, ArmA mark increased 500 points, and just on a sidenote, i get to run Oblivion at max settings without a single hiccup  yay.gif

nope, still there at around 3km VD, ill patiently wait for the 1.06 patch

Ok good to know, thanks for the information

Ok good to know, thanks for the information

Another thread here shows it may be fixed. But this is probably a nvidia issue more than ARMA.

Tried the new driver 100.87 from Leadtek, fog is still there. No performance boost either.

Tried the new driver 100.87 from Leadtek, fog is still there. No performance boost either.

Do we know if the problem is properly reported to NVIDIA? Do we know that THEY know?

Do we know if the problem is properly reported to NVIDIA? Do we know that THEY know?

this fog affects other games as well, Dark Messiah for one, luckily Oblivion or MTW2 arent affected by it, ill go and reinstall SH3 and IL2 to check some more, most likely NVIDIA are aware methinks.

hi all

I hawe a N7600GS me just put for test on 5000 end lower viewdistance end see the fog..will they fix for low video card, not only for 8800?

thx for answer

hi all

I hawe a N7600GS me just put for test on 5000 end lower viewdistance end see the fog..will they fix for low video card, not only for 8800?

thx for answer

BIS have fixed the problem in the next patch which is good of course, the bad news is a that might be a month away, so another month without arma..

sad_o.gif

I have an 8800 GTS and, as expected, got the fog issue too.. View distance slider only went practically from about 500 to 1400 km (when adjusting it from 500 to 10,000), and there was an intense bright fog past that making it hard to see towards the end of the viewing area.

Now, when I changed HDR Precision in my ArmA.cfg to 16 bit, I noticed the fog get even WORSE. In fact, I couldn't aim at ANYTHING more than a couple hundred meters away.

When I set HDR Precision to 32 bit, however, my view distance slider became quite a bit more useful. I can now play with the distance set at around 1200m (before I had to put it around 700-800 to get decent performance), and in fact I can see that far away. The fog is still there, and it begins pretty close, making the farther-away objects difficult to spot in some light conditions, but they are still discernable.

I think part of this fog issue that we're getting is a result of sunlight being rendered off the distance fog, which seems like it's kind of hard on a GPU and causes sun glare whiteout on 8 and especially 16 bit HDR precision towards the edge of the view distance. I theorize that in 32 bit precision, the sun glare is more realistically mild after a few moments, and this makes it possible to make out objects through this fog (even though the fog still seems to come in way too close).

Can anybody else give these settings a try and see if you can confirm anything? I just went to a top of a mountain in the editor and tried various times of day, and previewed it to adjust view distance and play with settings, but I guess you can do whatever you want (mountaintops make it easier to test ;p)

I have an 8800 GTS and, as expected, got the fog issue too.. View distance slider only went practically from about 500 to 1400 km (when adjusting it from 500 to 10,000), and there was an intense bright fog past that making it hard to see towards the end of the viewing area.

Now, when I changed HDR Precision in my ArmA.cfg to 16 bit, I noticed the fog get even WORSE. In fact, I couldn't aim at ANYTHING more than a couple hundred meters away.

When I set HDR Precision to 32 bit, however, my view distance slider became quite a bit more useful. I can now play with the distance set at around 1200m (before I had to put it around 700-800 to get decent performance), and in fact I can see that far away. The fog is still there, and it begins pretty close, making the farther-away objects difficult to spot in some light conditions, but they are still discernable.

I think part of this fog issue that we're getting is a result of sunlight being rendered off the distance fog, which seems like it's kind of hard on a GPU and causes sun glare whiteout on 8 and especially 16 bit HDR precision towards the edge of the view distance. I theorize that in 32 bit precision, the sun glare is more realistically mild after a few moments, and this makes it possible to make out objects through this fog (even though the fog still seems to come in way too close).

Can anybody else give these settings a try and see if you can confirm anything? I just went to a top of a mountain in the editor and tried various times of day, and previewed it to adjust view distance and play with settings, but I guess you can do whatever you want (mountaintops make it easier to test ;p)

Yep the fog makings sniping a pain, and cuts off anything past about 1km, so reduce vis range to 1 km till the patch.

For pilotting I set 1400, as even a foogged mountain is still a mountain and gives me a chance to climb.

I dont have any problems with gunfire battles upto 500m, but sniping or using a tank to destroy another tank over 500km is very hard work.

I also tried 8/16/32 HDR to see if I could get rid of the issue, They seem the same. I think Conformant Texture Clamp OFF helps as well, when set on hardware I think the fog was worse.

*** This post was closed in the thread I had created. I copy it here before it gets deleted by the admin. Don't want my vote to disappear!***

I had a GeForce 6800 and very low FPS. Upgraded everything to top stuff (Intel Duo and 8800 GTX).

Framerates are great.

But can't see through the fog. I thought from the discussions on the forum that the fog was at long distance (pity for the view, but no harm for the fight). In fact, the fog starts well within shooting distance, so it is a real problem. In photo below, one can see the fog settling roughly in the middle of the base (you will recognise the base from "Blood Sweat & Tears" mission):

Picture.gif

Beyond that distance, it is impossible to see anything, even with scopes. This other picture is from the same place, with the scope, and there is 1 soldier just left of the sight: invisible in the fog!

Picture2.gif

Seems to be a lot of shimmering on the textures as well. Tried various settings of Anistropy, AntiAlisiasing, Game video options... Not much changes.

Damm....

Config is 8800 GTX, latest NVIDIA drivers, Intel Core Duo, Windows XP SP2, 2 Giga Memory.

*** This post was closed in the thread I had created. I copy it here before it gets deleted by the admin. Don't want my vote to disappear!***

I had a GeForce 6800 and very low FPS. Upgraded everything to top stuff (Intel Duo and 8800 GTX).

Framerates are great.

But can't see through the fog. I thought from the discussions on the forum that the fog was at long distance (pity for the view, but no harm for the fight). In fact, the fog starts well within shooting distance, so it is a real problem. In photo below, one can see the fog settling roughly in the middle of the base (you will recognise the base from "Blood Sweat & Tears" mission):

Beyond that distance, it is impossible to see anything, even with scopes. This other picture is from the same place, with the scope, and there is 1 soldier just left of the sight: invisible in the fog!

Seems to be a lot of shimmering on the textures as well. Tried various settings of Anistropy, AntiAlisiasing, Game video options... Not much changes.

Damm....

Config is 8800 GTX, latest NVIDIA drivers, Intel Core Duo, Windows XP SP2, 2 Giga Memory.

OK,

GTX settings:

ARMA CFG:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=8721.000000;

Resolution_W=1600;

Resolution_H=1024;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

refresh=30;

FSAA=2;

HDRPrecision=32;

lastDeviceId="4318,401,-399427518";

localVRAM=527826944;

nonlocalVRAM=527826944;

maxmem=1024;

Nvidia settings:

Anisotropic / Anti Alias = Application controlled

confrment texture clamp OFF

extension limit OFF

Forcemipmaps None

Gamma correct AA OFF

Mulitple graphics card acc SINGLE CARD

Negative LOD bisa CLAMP

Texture filter HIGH QUALITY

Transpaerncy AA OFF (I now suspect this really annoy the ARMA engine it tries to do its own)

Triple buffer OFF

vertical Sync FORCE OFF (no effect in vista)

In game:

vis range 1=2km (gog bug means any further is pointless right now)

At 1280x1024 I can knock AA in game to very high, and every other setting and get a stable 30 FPS that almost never lags.

At 1600x1024 16:9 I find knocking terrain down to LOW and AA low, means a super steady 30 FPS and almost never any slow down.

A faster CPU than my AMD 4000 may allow higher settings in 1600 res.

I can't wait for the fog bug to be lifted :]

Hope the above helps.

AMD 4000 64 SC No OC, EVGA 8800 GTX 626/1000 (factory settings) 2 Gig DDR 2 400, XPSP2

The beginning of that mission is suppose to be foggy. It's the weather, not a bug. It looks the same as that on my 7800GT.

Load up the mission editor and you will be able to see further.

Edit: Not saying there is no fog bug, but what you see in the screenshots isn't it.

Just installed the new beta patch and am pleased to say....

THE FOG HAS CLEARED

at least mostly, I can see much further than before. I am using an 8800GTS 320MB and can now see 10k's. There's still more of a blue tint to everything than I remember with my 6600GT though. I'm going to install the new 101.2 drivers now to see what that does.

Quote[/b] ]The beginning of that mission is suppose to be foggy. It's the weather, not a bug. It looks the same as that on my 7800GT.

Load up the mission editor and you will be able to see further.

Edit: Not saying there is no fog bug, but what you see in the screenshots isn't it

Hmmm. I used to play the same mission with my previous video card, and it was not as foggy at all... But then, who knows...