Sign in to follow this  
snake22000

White "fog" even with high viewdistance (8800GTX)

There is a "fog" problem with the 8800gtx (and gts ?) graphics boards, Driver problem ?

I have the lastest Forcewares 100.65 (windows Vista) and i set my view distance on 3000 and all other option in very high.

As you can see it there is a white fog (with sunny and no fog weather biggrin_o.gif).

With my ATI X1900XT, No bug !

bugqj2.th.jpg

Please Check this problem !

There is the same bug with some others games like Counter Strike Source for a lot of people.

Link 1

Link 2

My PC:

- Windows Vista Ultimate 32bits

- AMD Athlon64 FX-51

- 2 Go Ram

- Nvidia 8800GTX

Seems like the problems with these Nvidia drivers never ends.

8800 GTS, 10000 view distance, how is it supposed to look?

arma8800glitchya7.jpg

Lol ! biggrin_o.gif

Very Very more beautiful ! wink_o.gif

I hope they goes fixed the problem sad_o.gif

(Sorry for my "Basic" english im french)

change HDRPrecision=8 to HDRPrecision=16 in arma.cfg

that should fix this issue , yet there will be some FPS loss and no forced AA

Well it seems that this issue only occurs on this ONE card, i dont think im aware of any other GFX cards with this same problem...

You could try fiddling with random settings in the Nvidia control panel to try and sort it out.. but it might be to no avail... Or maybe a driver will fix this issue...

Valve is actualy fixing the problem for the Source Engine. BIS must fix the problem with the patch 1.05. I can't wait the new drivers...

This is a directX 9 problem.

afaik this is a driver related problem, not arma, the same thing happens in other games on the 8800's.

afaik this is a driver related problem, not arma, the same thing happens in other games on the 8800's.

I heard about source engine games with that problem and that Valve fixed the issue, not nvidia.

MfG Lee

Seems like the problems with these Nvidia drivers never ends.

8800 GTS, 10000 view distance, how is it supposed to look?

Here's a screenshot with 10000m visibility using Geforce 7900 GTO.

armavd.jpg

As you can see the furthest location that is visible is only around 5000m away from the player. If you look very closely you can see a hill even beoynd that.

Visibility doesn't seem to work like it did in OFP where the fog didn't smooth out the scenery so heavily. Perhaps BIS had a good reason to make it like so wink_o.gif.

But it's a pity to see that those 8800 cards are still having problems, not just in ArmA but in other games too confused_o.gif.

Well, seems like you guys can still make screenshots of your problems. I cant even join a multiplayer game no more to watch my white fog. My game crash any time between I press join to the game actually starts.

E6600

2GB 800mhz

8800GTX 101.41

Vista home premium 32bit

if you are using the network card on an nvidia chipset you should try with another card and see if it fixes the problem, others have reported problems with network cards on the nvidia chipsets, I think it has to do with the built in firewall

Just wanted to share my 10km viewdistance "fog" shot on a 8800GTX with the 97.02 drivers (same as the 97.92 drivers) under Windows XP.

arma.jpg

Do you get better frame rates with your 7600 too, by any chance?

Nice comparison photo there Oswald. Illustrates the problem really well. With so many ppl reporting this problem now I bet BIS must be looking into it.

So BIS have to fix this problem?

Well i thought this problem is in many other Games too?

So who have to fit it BIS or Nvidia?

Damn problems all over the way... confused_o.gif

hey guys am gona buy a new pc in a month ore so but am stil wondering ist gona bo good am gona have

asus strikerEX nf680isli

asus silent square

xfx768 d3 x 8800GTX

d2 2GB 800-44 xtc plat 2 times

seagate 80.0 gb u100 2 times

seagate 500 gb sat2

guys tell me if its gona be oke ore i need a bether one

I wouldnt get a 680 board for starters, they are fantastically bugged, go for a intel 975x if i were you.

Hi all

In reply to UNA-C-Blade

I would go for an ATI x1950 pro save your money on a card that all the reviewers say is the best in its class and about a 3rd of the price of an 8800 and it is great for ArmA.

The 8800 from all the posts here and for the other games and NVIDIA bug threads I have seen is not stable yet. It is an early adopters card that seems to cost the earth and is only realy designed for VISTA which on previous windows experience wont be stable for at least another 9 months. There are obvous issues with regard to drivers.

NVIDIA have even had a product recall for hardware on them.

Quote[/b] ]NVIDIA recalls GeForce 8800 GTX batch

Author: Tim Smalley

Published: 6th November 2006

As many of you know, NVIDIA is launching its next-generation GeForce 8-series products later this week. However, there has been a manufacturing problem with a batch of the GeForce 8800 GTX cards.

NVIDIA has issued us with an official statement regarding the problems:

"Some GeForce 8800 GTX boards that were built through our contract manufacturer had a simple BOM error - wrong resistor value. GeForce 8800 GTS boards are not effected by this.

These GeForce 8800 GTX boards were shipped to our Add-In-Card partners.

We have been working with them to pull these back and change the resistor to the correct value...

Follow lin for the full story

http://www.bit-tech.net/news....x_batch

I am normaly an NVIDIA fan but at the moment the ATI cards seem better.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

In reply to UNA-C-Blade

I would go for an ATI x1950 pro save your money on a card that all the reviewers say is the best in its class and about a 3rd of the price of an 8800 and it is great for ArmA.

The 8800 from all the posts here and for the other games and NVIDIA bug threads I have seen is not stable yet. It is an early adopters card that seems to cost the earth and is only realy designed for VISTA which on previous windows experience wont be stable for at least another 9 months. There are obvous issues with regard to drivers.

NVIDIA have even had a product recall for hardware on them.

Quote[/b] ]NVIDIA recalls GeForce 8800 GTX batch

Author: Tim Smalley

Published: 6th November 2006

As many of you know, NVIDIA is launching its next-generation GeForce 8-series products later this week. However, there has been a manufacturing problem with a batch of the GeForce 8800 GTX cards.

NVIDIA has issued us with an official statement regarding the problems:

"Some GeForce 8800 GTX boards that were built through our contract manufacturer had a simple BOM error - wrong resistor value. GeForce 8800 GTS boards are not effected by this.

These GeForce 8800 GTX boards were shipped to our Add-In-Card partners.

We have been working with them to pull these back and change the resistor to the correct value...

Follow lin for the full story

http://www.bit-tech.net/news....x_batch

I am normaly an NVIDIA fan but at the moment the ATI cards seem better.

Kind Regards walker

If normal Arma quality level with 15-25 fps is ok, X1950Pro is the right choice. I had X1950Pro when I bought ArmA and get enough of it in couple of days.

Now with 8800GTX I have those ArmA graphics memory problems which come with higher settings and playing with them is impossible. But at least I can keep everything maxed except 1.05 nerfed postprocessing=low and texture detail=normal and get muuuuuch more playable fps than with X1950pro ever. Also 256MB memory is way too small when you have to use higher (monitor native) resolutions in games to get good picture quality in LCD monitors.

In other games GTX beats 1950Pro so bad that sometimes I feel that despite the triple price GTX still have better quality to price ratio.

But anyway, X1950Pro is a decent card and everything else but ArmA is playable with it IMO.

Offtopic:

Edit: BTW, Nvidia had to change a resistor before the launch. ATI designers fu**ed the whole GPU IC and they had to postpone their next generation card. Without these serious design problems maybe I would have waited for the next ATI/AMD card. As an electronics designer I know that the new ATI card performance and/or quality can be a real catastrophy so I decided not to wait.

Addition: I'm not an ATI or Nvidia fan, I'm a fan of enjoyable gaming experience