Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

dxdll in ARMA, like in OFP

I was woundering if its possible to use the program dxdll, the same one we used to have in OFP.

For those who don't know whats dxdll, its was a program that we installed in OFP folder and with it we could take severall pictures without exiting game.

These pictures were sent to a OFP folder in ".tga" format.

if theres another way to take pics without alt tabing, plz share.

cheers.

You use DXDLL just to take screenshots? huh.gif

Indeed, for screens the print key was ok.

I used the PP for the nvg's at night, the FPS counter for mission editing, the cool tracers and for getting rid of the night pixel ugly grey thing.

I dont like the lighting in Arma at night... we need moon lighting, better artificial lighting and shadows.

If you have an ATI card, the omega drivers have a screenshot function. You could also try xfire though I'm not sure if it would work if ArmA isnt supported by it yet.

You use DXDLL just to take screenshots?  huh.gif

Indeed, for screens the print key was ok.

I used the PP for the nvg's at night, the FPS counter for mission editing, the cool tracers and for getting rid of the night pixel ugly grey thing.

I dont like the lighting in Arma at night... we need moon lighting, better artificial lighting and shadows.

The question was loaded, I don't think you got it...

What I meant to convey was my incomprehension as to why someone would use as advanced a piece of programming as DXDLL is, just to take screenshots, when not only does every keyboard come with a useful "printscreen" key, but when programmes such as FRAPS are designed for this purpose, considering the other advanced improvements DXDLL bring

I was thinking about a possible dxdll "filter" for ArmA after seeing a picture Stryda posted. Maybe it's not possible or you might not want to work on one, but somekind of effect/filter with the game could make it "feel" more real, such as this screenshot.

Quote[/b] ]Some SU34's

armadesk4s.JPG

1280x1024

Just thought I would throw that out there huh.gif

Try fooling around with the gamma correction and brightness setting, some graphic cards offer their own control center type programs which can greatly change a game, example being mine having antistrophic filter x6 which causes the sky to be much brighter and more tropical feeling rather than dull.

Though dxdll would be nice to see again, I would be curious at what all could be done, the water would be an interesting thing to see..if reflections of land masses and objects is possible then that would make it even more realistic and lively. The night isn't much of an issue, again, gamma and brightness adjustments can change it greatly.

Though dxdll would be nice to see again, I would be curious at what all could be done, the water would be an interesting thing to see..if reflections of land masses and objects is possible then that would make it even more realistic and lively. The night isn't much of an issue, again, gamma and brightness adjustments can change it greatly.

It would destroy performance with current hardware. Ask again in couple of years tounge2.gif

Some features like night vision might be replicated with providing custom pixel shader in NVG goggles optic texture material.

I was thinking about a possible dxdll "filter" for ArmA after seeing a picture Stryda posted. Maybe it's not possible or you might not want to work on one, but somekind of effect/filter with the game could make it "feel" more real, such as this screenshot.

My reality hasn't looked like that since I was last on psychedelic drugs wink_o.gif

The only thing I think ArmA is lacking is water reflections.

Just thought I would throw that out there  huh.gif

And that pic looks more real to standard ArmA graphics  crazy_o.gif It's so over done and looks more like cartoon graphics.

DXDLL was really handy for me in OFP, I used it every game online for FPS, the night shader overide setting and taking screenshots.

I don't see why everyone's having heart attacks upon seeing that picture, I think it looks great... I actually thought it was real for a second.

Some features like night vision might be replicated with providing custom pixel shader in NVG goggles optic texture material.

Does it mean it will be present in FDF 2.0? wink_o.gif

Seeing the number of things uncovered by pple like you and Keg, I expect a second revolution from FDF 2.0, tbh tounge2.gif

Question is : will there be a FDF 2.0?

DXDLL was best used for water reflections and taking the HUD off to take screenies, although I normally used GrabClipSave to take pictures (slaved to the Print Screen key). If there isn't any other way to take the HUD off, like in OFP, DXDLL sure would come in handy...

Otherwise we'll need Gummi's camera addon and cut away the black stripes, although now with the center action icon, it could be useless... crazy_o.gif

Does it mean it will be present in FDF 2.0? wink_o.gif

Seeing the number of things uncovered by pple like you and Keg, I expect a second revolution from FDF 2.0, tbh tounge2.gif

Question is : will there be a FDF 2.0?

No, that was just thinking what might be possible in theory (there isn't any way to compile pixel shaders to BIS format yet, even though they look like kinda standard DX shaders with some ArmA specific headers), even though material definitions can be edited as they're standard raP files.

There probably will be FDF 2.0 but what features it will have, nobody knows.

AUS_Twisted,

Yes, I know the colors are exaggerated in that picture, but what got me thinking was the slight (for the lack of a better word) "grittiness" of the picture. Everything in ArmA, even as pretty as it really is, feels too "smooth/perfect" and lacks the "gritty/imperfect" side of reality (if that makes any sense) crazy_o.gif.

I don’t mean a dxdll that looks like that exact screenshot, but we have all seen screenshots by talented individuals that make this and other games look more "life like" by post-processing. I know there’s usually heavy post-processing involved into making a game screenshot look realistic, but maybe there is some kind of effect or filter that can push toward this direction of "life like" graphics in real-time even if only for a slight improvement over the current look. I know this a very minute suggestion/improvement, but like I said, I thought I would just throw this out there, because maybe we will see something interesting some time in the future from this community. I know some may disagree, but maybe an effect can be more "convincing" then nothing at all and if you don't agree, remember this would be an *optional* add-on of sorts and have other possible options, if ever made.