Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

Crap, I didn't realise this topic was for posting your setups etc etc...

I ordered my new computer today;

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4GHz)

2 Gigs of Corsair Ram

250gig SATA II hard drive

NVidia 256Mb 8600GTS Graphics card

E-MU 1212m Soundcard (craps on all consumer cards like the x-fi range)

Any ideas on how this will handle ArmA? I'd like to know what i can expect from it.

this spec is OK for ArmA, but dont expect to be able to maxout the game, which is also impossible for 8800

also be aware that 8XXX cards are the first gen of DX10 card, and the fact that there is already reports of 8800 users getting problems, so all we could say is best of luck, anyway, if things goes well then you wont have too much problem running the game

Well, with a 5200+ and 8800 GTX I am maxed out at 1024x768x32. So maxing out I think depends on the rez you are trying to use. I am picking up a 6000+ right away, so I can post how that effects ArmA.

So far so good on my end tho.

I've read through all these posts and put together some good points, plus a few of my own, cuz I want as many ppl as possible to experience this game in all its glory (this is the best multiplayer experience ever imo !wink_o.gif

I'm running an AMD 2400+ with 2 7800 gtx cards in SLI (funny that I didn't see anyone mention SLI on this thread), 2 gigs DDR 2 ram. I get around 30-40 fps (15-20 in forests) on a 24-inch widescreen Dell at 1280 * (whatever the other number is), in 16:9 ratio. The game runs solid with AA/AF set to medium, blood on high, shadows off, view distance=3000, textures on high, shading on low, objects on high. If I put AA on super high the game chugs though

* I have found disabling shadows gives around a 10 fps boost.

*One point nobody touched on (if they did I missed it) is if you have a widescreen monitor try altering your monitor scaling if your having problems, its in your graphics card settings. I switched mine to the Nvidia scaling (or whatever it was called) and gained another 10 fps.

*The best way to find the perfect setting on your system is to switch between the in-game's and your graphic card's settings. Keep fraps up, and turn AA / AF on your graphics card to app. controlled and turn it on inside the game, and vice versa. Try all the combinations you can and keep the one that yields the highest FPS. My cards work best with AA/AF on application controlled and set to medium in-game. Also keep in mind Fraps lowers your FPS a little

* If you have 2 gigs of ram I found putting arma.exe -maxmem=1500 works best in your shortcut, and put -nosplash to skip the intro

* My game was crashing until I set postprocess effects to low, with no notable change in fps or graphics

* One good point someone posted that improved my visuals was to have AA set to 4xx and turn on gamma correct alias and supersample transparency on the card (thanks for that one!wink_o.gifnotworthy.gif

The only problem I have is when zooming in with a sniper rifle or gun turret on foilage, sometimes my fps drops below ten. Wish there was a hot-key you could alter settings on the fly

I still get an occasional lockup or CTD though, still trying to pinpoint why (Not nearly as much as before I set post-process to low)

hope this helps

nice first post welcome.gif

I bought the Czech version from Sprocket in November

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 2.0ghz

768 RDram

80 gig HDD

Asus GF 5900 128mb AGP

SBLive

I get 0-20 fps and a 800 ArmA Mark on optimum settings goodnight.gif

I am getting a new rig this weekend

E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz

Asus P5N32-SLI nForce 590 SLI

2GB PC6400 DDR2 Corsair XMS2 Xtreme

EVGA GeForce 7950 GT 512MB

74GB Western Digital

700 watt thermaltake

Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer

It will be a whole new game! pistols.gif

I can play it on high settings instead of very low or off. biggrin_o.gif

OK, here is my problem. I currently have an

MSI K8T Neo2 mobo

A64 4000/San Diego overclocked to 2.64GHz

2Gb Elixir value RAM (dual channel PC3200 running at 166MHz)

Gainward 7800GS AGP (the 20 pixel pipeline one) overclocked to 475/1425 GPU/GDDR3

37G WD Raptor

Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard

WinXP

Jeantech 450W PSU

All running pretty sweetly on around 20-30fps for ArmA (1280x1024) and at medium/low settings and all high on other games like BF2/BF2142. Some stuttering in busy firefights and foiliage but overall playable.

I obtained a C2D 6420 and ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA mobo with the intention of using the existing DDR, graphics and disk with the updated CPU to give a boost and then update the graphics etc later - I can currently get 3900 3DMark06 on a good day, which compares to similar configs. The Futuremark results show this update to C2D would boost to around 5400, albeit a synthetic benchmark.

However, there was an offer on Amazon for a Zotac 8800GTS/640M DDR3 PCIe for 131 pounds delivered last week (has been re-priced to 500 pounds since then) and I spotted it early and put in an order - I got confirmation this morning it will be supplied at this price (did not think it would tbh) and if it happens throws a spanner in the works as the ASRock 4CoreDual mobo is PCIex4 instead of x16 and does not support 8800 boards (unless under Vista, and then seems to be unstable). I know I'll need a better PSU as well.

So, I can get hold of a cheap ASRock 939Dual-VSTA board which will allow me to use all the existing A64 4000, DDR RAM etc components and the new graphics card (I have an RMA on the C2D and 4CoreDual board) - for ArmA, is a 939/8800GTS setup a better performing route than C2D/7800GS ?

Of course, if I could stump up the cash I would get a 965 mobo and DDR2 RAM now and use the C2D/8800GTS to build a new system, but I cannot get the money so in the short term which would be the best choice - C2D and AGP 7800GS or A64 4000 and 8800GTS? I feel the latter but read of so many people having 8800GTS problems with ArmA.

cjph

Sorry to ask this but i am having "some" difficulty running/playing this great game!

P-4, 3 Ghz.

RAM i have to look that one up.

ATI Radeon 9600 (something).

Since i won't be upgrading my computer anytime soon i would like to know what video card would be recommandable and affordable. Would the game run better that is also something i would like to know...

Sorry to be asking these rather stupid questions but i have not played much this past year and have become somewhat rusty where computers are concerned.

Thank you for your patience!

smile_o.gif

you wont get anywhere with that 9600 card. I bet its 128mb. I once had one myself.

Dont know if your mother board is PCIe or AGP.

If you have AGP, your kinda fecked because the latest ATI drivers have problems. Though the X1950 pro AGP 512mb is a good card. If you get this pray for an update drivers from ATI.

If i were you i would wait alittle more.. and see what happens confused_o.gif

good luck

Thank you Bravo 6 i am interested to know what (not too expensive) video card would be a good alternative, i do prefer a Geforce card after having several ATI cards these past years...

Quote[/b] ]If you have AGP, your kinda fecked because the latest ATI drivers have problems.

There are some quite powerful AGP cards available. The Nvidia 7600 GT A AGP from Leadtek I have enables me to run Arma with texture settings, object detail on high, view distance 2000, no shadows, low AA, no AF, etc. I´d say for ~ 150 Euro that´s some big bang for little buck. Apart from Arma it runs other games like Stalker, Prey, F.E.A.R on high settings aswell. Arma seems to be just to unoptimized with it´s engine right now.

So what you are saying is that any Gforce card of 7600 or up would do the trick?!

I did see a card but as i stated before i have been away from computer stuff for far too long and i am not up to date on anything out right now.

Asus Extreme N8600GTS SILENT/HTDP (256 / PCI-E), costs about 200 EURO...

Seems a good enough card to me, anyone have any experience with this one?

Or this one: Asus Extreme N8600GTS G HTDP 256MB PCI-E, costs around 120 EURO...

I like the game but it doesn't play well on my machine.

So I want to buy a new one.

I see that a lot of players are having hardware and driver problems.

Therefore I have the following question:

Which hardware does BI use for testing?

If they would be so kind to post that, I can buy the same system and Arma should work very well.

So what you are saying is that any Gforce card of 7600 or up would do the trick?!

I did see a card but as i stated before i have been away from computer stuff for far too long and i am not up to date on anything out right now.

Asus Extreme N8600GTS SILENT/HTDP (256 / PCI-E), costs about 200 EURO...

Seems a good enough card to me, anyone have any experience with this one?

Or this one: Asus Extreme N8600GTS G HTDP 256MB PCI-E, costs around 120 EURO...

Im quite sure you dont have a motherboard with PCI-E(xpress) slots, so this 2 Cards you mentioned wont fit.

You have to search for a AGP Card like the Nvidia 7600 GT A AGP from Leadtek Balschoiw mentioned.

Just tried my new 6000+. It runs AmrA awesomely. I am noticing much smoother fog effects on my 8800 GTX as well.

OK!!

So on page 10 I posted that I was going to receive an new laptop just to play ArmA on .. And I got it!!!

These were the specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2,33 GHz, 4 MB L2-cache, 667 MHz FSB)

2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)

160 GB SATA HD (5.400 rpm)

512 MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX

And I can say one word: WOW!

I totally dig this game!!!!!!

Smooth play: constantly 30fps.. Use the -Maxmem: 1500 settings and disable the virtual memory .. Plus that I play on normal settings for AA and those things.. Textures on high..

I love it.. I love it.. I love it... The game of the century!!!

(I do play on XP though, not on Vista.. I'm to stupid for that ?)

Caaahl thank you so very much for your advice, to be honest my knowledge of computer and todays upgrades is zero right now so that advice on the different cards like AGP and PCI helped me out there!  smile_o.gif

So i take it that it must come down to these two cards:

Club 3D GeForce 7800GS (256 / AGP) between € 207 and € 303...

or

Club 3D GeForce 7600GS (256 / AGP) between € 90 and € 131...

Big difference in price, but my question remains: will it run this great game in higher resolutions/details on a P-4, 3Ghz?

I only have PCI... so im very limited to my graphics card... im thinking of upgrading my Geforce 6200 FX 256mb to

ATI Radeon X1550 256mb / PCI

do you guys think its worth it?? Im to cheap to change my motherboard. I still have a decent enuff PC..

P4 3ghz

512 ram (mite add some more)

rite now i can play AA on low settings but still not getting the fps i want.

Now i am confused can anyone please explain the difference between AGP and PCI, and PCI-E?!

I have no clue as to what card would fit in my machine right now! I have a P-4, 3 Ghz, a somewhat outdated piece of equipment...

Now i am confused can anyone please explain the difference between AGP and PCI, and PCI-E?!

I have no clue as to what card would fit in my machine right now! I have a P-4, 3 Ghz, a somewhat outdated piece of equipment...

by what u have listed it sounds to me like were in the same boat.. u proabbally have PCI if its a dell.

you could always change to pci express... if u want to change the motherboards.. which is like changing your entire computer. cuz trhen u gotta buy new everything.

Thanx mate i fear that is the only way to fully enjoy this great game, already obtaining information through certain means from captured resistance cells as we speak hehe!

Either this one...

Or

This one...

Nice quote by the way Warrior, 50 cent by any change?! wink_o.gif

Hello all,

Hope this is the right place, if not my apologies (first time posting as you can see).

Any suggestions on the settings for this game?

My Setup:

Intel E4300 @ 3.16GHz

2GB Buffalo Firestix Dual Channel PC2-800

512mb GeForce 7950 GT KO

Thanks very much!  help.gif

I only have PCI... so im very limited to my graphics card... im thinking of upgrading my Geforce 6200 FX 256mb to

ATI Radeon X1550 256mb / PCI

do you guys think its worth it?? Im to cheap to change my motherboard. I still have a decent enuff PC..

P4 3ghz

512 ram (mite add some more)

rite now i can play AA on low settings but still not getting the fps i want.

No, it sucks even on a 7600 GT. You gotta buy a better mobo, there are cheap and reliable ones (like mine) that support PCIE. Then buy something from the 8600 or 8800 series(or from Ati 2900 series).

Oh and btw the mobo I have also supports Core 2 Duos.

Thanx mate i fear that is the only way to fully enjoy this great game, already obtaining information through certain means from captured resistance cells as we speak hehe!

Either this one...

Or

This one...

Nice quote by the way Warrior, 50 cent by any change?! wink_o.gif

Dont buy either of those. They have nice amount of RAM and a cool CPU but those video card in 'em are very weak.

So everyting in them is cool except for the VGA, you should have a customized PC built for you with an Nvidia 8800 or 8600 series VGA plus the other things that one of the PCs you suggested have.

The card can be changed to another, but will a custom made PC be cheaper if i have that done in a computer store since i know no one that can otherwise do this for me!

Or do you think it is still a good prize with that 88 card in it?!

Out of all the following specs, what would be the most important part to upgrade?

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 Ghz

1 GB of RAM

ATI X800 PRO

Thanks in advance.

Ram is an easy cheap upgrade. 2 gigs is the min these days imho. And the vid card. You can always o/c your 2.8 to 3 gig.