Sign in to follow this  
Collectar

Polygon limit?

about the pollystuff:

I'd use BIS standards for the moment.

Their weapon models are about 4000-6000 in the pilotview and the highest lod is about 1000 to 2000 less.

Cugh..cugh (i'm ill, honestly)...

Quote[/b] ]I'd use BIS standards for the moment.

Their weapon models are about 4000-6000 in the pilotview and the highest lod is about 1000 to 2000 less.

Standards for the 'moment'. Is that ArmA standard or OFP standard? Just wondering, if that is ArmA standard, how you know (through PM info maybe, or you have access to more then the rest of us?).

Cugh..cugh (i'm ill, honestly)...
Quote[/b] ]I'd use BIS standards for the moment.

Standards for the 'moment'. Is that ArmA standard or OFP standard? Just wondering, if that is ArmA standard, how you know (through PM info maybe, or you have access to more then the rest of us?).

ArmA standards, can't tell you more (I may already have said to much altought it seems ok to post the pollycount avarage pollycount, you may never now what they will do to me wow_o.gif )

Might not be such a good idea to say how I know before I got the permission to. Just wanna be on the safe side tounge2.gif

band.gif

so is modeling with meshsmooths to poly-pregnant for arma ??

cause making a nose of an uh-1n iroquois i freakin difficult (for a bloody 3ds-max-noob like me whistle.gif ) if u want to deal with low amounts of polygons ...

heres my nose ~700 polies , i think (ms'ed with 1 iteration)

nase1am5.th.jpg

cause making a nose of an uh-1n iroquois i freakin difficult (for a bloody 3ds-max-noob like me whistle.gif ) if u want to deal with low amounts of polygons ...

[imghttp://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6434/nase1am5.th.jpg[/img]

Woah crazy_o.gif you have a big nose wink_o.gif

Looks like a good start, go on like that biggrin_o.gif

nase1am5.th.jpg

I'd avoid (spelling crazy_o.gif? ) mesh smoothing as much as possible. first of all, it often gives you an unwished result when used on lowpoly models, if you use it on decent polly models then it will be to detailed, altough that doesn't look to bad, but you've only just started. anyway, if it gets way to highpolly you can use it as a 3d blueprint

edit* forgot to mention that you can use smooth mesh to make normal maps

Never use meshsmooth on game models, there's no need for it. If you want to divide the thing horizontally, grab all of the edge subobjects in a 'ring' and rightclick and choose 'connect'. Then you can adjust the dimensions and position of the new loop to fit your orthographic blueprints.

You can see on that image you posted pinchpoints in the isolines. This is a tremendous source of wasted polies and alludes to the fact that you didn't optimize your model for the meshsmooth operation. Consider just building the model in a regular fashion. If you want a higher definition model, start with higher definition primitives.

i did that before , but im getting the same amount polies , adn not a half-as-good-looking result ... mhm ill have to play arround more

@ general : im getting nice results with meshsmooth on lowpoly objects if they are curvy (like this nose) , i think its all a question of density of your mesh

i'm going to check BIS's models to get an idea of their level of detail ... would be even nicer to have a wireframe-screenshot of the mi-17 for example

Quote[/b] ]@ general : im getting nice results with meshsmooth on lowpoly objects  if they are curvy (like this nose) , i think its all a question of density of your mesh

You might get a smooth result yes, but that little nose represents a very small part of the chopper. The result might be to detailed. And I said as much as possible not never.

but if you get the result you want... well, good for you smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]i'm going to check BIS's models to get an idea of their level of detail ... would be even nicer to have a wireframe-screenshot of the mi-17 for example

Hmmmmmmm tounge2.gif

Hmmmmmmm tounge2.gif

... i know ... i meant ill look at the models ingame to get a very little idea of their level of detail ...

no, I ment that I know everything about that wink_o.gif

well, not everything but you know tounge2.gif

I could give you the exact amount of pollys for exampel the blackhawk.

wow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gif

gimme gimme gimme plz00rz

He can't do that.

He can.

He could, but then he would be breaking whatever nda or contract he might be under to obtain said content in the first place. And that would not end well for him.

I am, however, quite tempted to call BS on the matter.

[Edit] I wish I could type... [/Edit]

8000 polys for a vehicle, is that the biggest lod or all lods together?

8000 polys for a vehicle, is that the biggest lod or all lods together?

some vehicles are alot higher than 8000, and yes it's the biggest lod

... if i dont get it done , i might start a arma-premium-line with high-poly models for all quad-core , 8800-gtx-sli guys out there ....

... if i dont get it done , i might start a arma-premium-line with high-poly models for all quad-core , 8800-gtx-sli guys out there ....

and how many pollys are those gonna be tounge2.gif ?

There is just not more information about the exact detail of the Arma models. Everyone that wants to create models for Arma have the same problem.

We all just have to wait for the tools or guess how detailed it has to be. With some great texturing you can also add the details you want. wink_o.gif

There is just not more information about the exact detail of the Arma models. Everyone that wants to create models for Arma have the same problem.

We all just have to wait for the tools or guess how detailed it has to be. With some great texturing you can also add the details you want.  wink_o.gif

not everyone, I don't have this problem biggrin_o.gif

just thesing you

We all just have to wait for the tools or guess how detailed it has to be. With some great texturing you can also add the details you want.  wink_o.gif

just thesing you

nah not me, I know enough to keep going on modelling.  wink_o.gif

just thesing you

nah not me, I know enough to keep going on modelling.  wink_o.gif

ok, guess the amount of pollys on the blackhawk then tounge2.gif

ok, guess the amount of pollys on the blackhawk then tounge2.gif

Really, you don't need to know the amount of polys on the blackhawk to model for the game in preperation for the tools to come out.

I must say, your behavious is quite childish. If you're trying to make the point of letting everyone know you have the new o2, it's come across. Congratulations, but I doubt anyone cares.

Abs

Quote[/b] ]<span style='color:#ffffff'>Stop being so god damn annoying.</span>