Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Addon Research Topic

nice video of bmp-t

also has 2nd chapter of video available.

About a week ago while at work I noticed that there was a thread in which someone possibly inferred that there might be some changes coming to the commanders sight on the M1A1 in Armed Assault.  When I got home I typed up the following information to be posted in that thread, however, I could not remember the name of the thread, nor could I remember anything else that would help me find it.

In any case, here is some worthwhile information concerning the M1A1 that hopefully BIS or some future addon maker may find very useful:

On the M1A1, the Commander's Weapon Sight has a 20 degree field of view at 3X magnification.

There are duel optical modes integrated into the Gunner’s Primary Sight (GPS), it should have a 6.2 degree field of view that can go up to 9.5X magnification for the narrow daytime optics.  In the wide field of view mode for daytime optics, it is 16 degrees at 3X magnification.

----------------------------------------------------------

[i figured I would repost this information so that it might not get lost in the OFP forums.]

Time to give the community a very basic education on the subject of tracks for the M1 FOV (Family Of Vehicles).  There are three types of tracks for the M1 FOV; the T156, T158, and the T158LL.  For all members of the M1 FOV, there are 78 links per side regardless of the track type.

This is the T156 (see below).  The T156 has an intergraded rubber pad.  The T156 is lighter than the other models.  The T156 could be considered the “original†type and still is in use today.  The problem with the T156 is the low track life of about 700 to 800 miles (1126.5km to 1287.5km).

T156example.jpg

The second type of track that was developed and placed into production for the M1 FOV is the T158.  The T158 adds more weight to the M1 series but this type has a longer life than the T156.  The track pads on the T158 are replaceable.

T158andT158LL.jpg

T158example.jpg

The latest type of track for the M1 series is the T158LL (refer to the picture below).  The T158LL utilizes the exact same track pads as the T158.  The T158LL is basically an attempt to reduce the weight of the T158.  This type is most easily distinguished from the older T158 by looking at the guide horns (also known as center guides).  The guide horns on the T158LL are open in the center as opposed to having a “web†in the center.  Compare with the above (T158) example.

T158LLexample.jpg

Here is a picture of all of the components of the T158LL track assembly:

LatestM1track-T158LL.jpg

There is more to know on this subject but I am too lazy to write anymore and I feel this gives someone enough information to understand the basic differences.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>EDIT 1: Fixed minor grammatical error.</span>

EDIT 2: Information recycled from my post here: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=270

Hi all, im currently looking very hard for ref images and blueprints of the Leyland/DAF 4-tonne GS. So far i have only found a handful which are not of good quality and i havent found any blueprints so far. Thought i might ask you guys as a last resort as i would like to get prepared for when the arma tools are released.

I am looking for a good blueprint of the C-212 Aviocar. If anyone has something, please post here or contact me over PM or email.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Iam currently looking for any good pics of the RG-33 and the RG-31. specially pictures of the sides and blueprints are needed.

Hi, Iam currently looking for any good pics of the RG-33 and the RG-31. specially pictures of the sides and blueprints are needed.

I second that request. I can't believe that there are no blueprints of this vehicle out there.

Here are some pics of it though.

Abs

@Abs: your link isn't working for me (?)

Well if Ironsight doesn't come up with something (blueprint) in the next few days, i guess there are non to be find on any public sites tounge2.gif . I remember FischKopp was planning to make the RG-31 aswell, but not sure he ever found something usefull. Just checked and the pics i provided him in his tread are all dead by now sad_o.gif. There were some good high res between them.

Primeportal has some shots of the Mamba, but can't remember if the Mamba has any body kits identical to the RG-31 (afaik, the RG-31 is a mod based on it..feel free to shot me now smile_o.gif).

As for my own. I made a request a few weeks ago regarding the cougar vehicles. Now recently there were some shots availible on MP.net that showed the Iraqi variant (camo), but i noticed that it had some different parts and shaps compaired to the US field version (like backdoor shape, exhaust pipe longer, front bumper extention simular to the UK MASTIFF). Just wondering if somebody knows more...meanwhile bumping for more pics of the Cougar JERRV and ILAV.

@Abs: your link isn't working for me (?)

Wierd...I just clicked it and it works for me. Anyway, you can Google "Combat Camera", and then click on the Canadian Forces site (should be the first link), and then search for either RG-31 or Nyala.

(PS: Hasn't Ironsight been looking for the RG-31 since the begining of this thread almost a year ago?)

(PS: Hasn't Ironsight been looking for the RG-31 since the begining of this thread almost a year ago?)

Yes, still haven't found it. Only a Mamba blueprint but that's far from the same thing. I am thinking of just start drawing a RG-31 blueprint myself.

As for my own. I made a request a few weeks ago regarding the cougar vehicles. Now recently there were some shots availible on MP.net that showed the Iraqi variant (camo), but i noticed that it had some different parts and shaps compaired to the US field version (like backdoor shape, exhaust pipe longer, front bumper extention simular to the UK MASTIFF). Just wondering if somebody knows more...meanwhile bumping for more pics of the Cougar JERRV and ILAV.

There is a Cougar blueprint somewhere. I have seen it but I can't remember where, maybe the brochure?

The Iraqi Cougars are very different from the US ones, the Iraqi ones are designated "Badger" and the main contractor for the vehicle was BAE who again subcontracted the chassis to Spartan. I imagine they did some modifications on the design, maybe as manufacturing procedures are different.

Quote[/b] ]There is a Cougar blueprint somewhere.

I suppose you are taking about the Cheetah blueprint yeah (i suppose i wasn't clear enough if so as i was more looking into the ILAV and JERRV)? If so, i was aware but honestly that is the last variant of FP i would make confused_o.gif (don't really like the looks of it, nor know if it actually is used on the battlefield yet).

Anyway, ILAV and JERRV should be taking care of, as i already started mapping it..so too late anyway smile_o.gif . But thanks...Interieur pics are still always welcome.

Thanks for the aditional info on the Badger. Was more or less aware of the name changing, but that additional info is very usefull.

Quote[/b] ]There is a Cougar blueprint somewhere.

I suppose you are taking about the Cheetah blueprint yeah (i suppose i wasn't clear enough if so as i was more looking into the ILAV and JERRV)? If so, i was aware but honestly that is the last variant of FP i would make confused_o.gif (don't really like the looks of it, nor know if it actually is used on the battlefield yet).

Anyway, ILAV and JERRV should be taking care of, as i already started mapping it..so too late anyway smile_o.gif . But thanks...Interieur pics are still always welcome.

Thanks for the aditional info on the Badger. Was more or less aware of the name changing, but that additional info is very usefull.

My memory says that there also is a Cougar blueprint somewhere.

And no I don't think there's a Cheetah on the battlefield yet, I think it isn't meant for battlefield anyway but more, like the site states, for homeland security. Wouldn't be suprised if we are going to see it pop up in service with some Sheriff departments in a few years.

Feel free to PM me any questions about the Navy SEALs if you can not find the relative information elsewhere on a factual basis. If it's something I can answer or offer insight to, I'll all for it. I'd love to help get the SEALs represented correctly in this game.

Please be respectful, though.

I have a little question, since I'm (as some might know) working on a desert reskin for many of the bluefor vehicles, I have a bit of a question.

In some pics, and in old reskins for OFP, there has been this "upside down V"-symbol on the side of HMMWVs, M113s and M1A1s etc. What does that symbol mean? and is it still being used? Also, has anyone got any good pics that shows where exactly on the vehicle it is painted?

In some pics, and in old reskins for OFP, there has been this "upside down V"-symbol on the side of HMMWVs, M113s and M1A1s etc. What does that symbol mean? and is it still being used? Also, has anyone got any good pics that shows where exactly on the vehicle it is painted?

Coalition ID symbol.

Coalition ID symbol.

Ah, so if I make an addon with desert US vehicles, I should add the symbol on them? And where on the vehicle should it be placed?

In some pics, and in old reskins for OFP, there has been this "upside down V"-symbol on the side of HMMWVs, M113s and M1A1s etc. What does that symbol mean?

I think the V symbol means that the vechile belongs to "Coalition Forces".

And is it still being used? Also, has anyone got any good pics that shows where exactly on the vehicle it is painted?

- 1:

The V Symbol was used on most vechiles during the first stages of the 2003 Iraq Invasion. But it seems that the Humwwes don't use the symbol no more.

Many M1A1's, LAV-25 APC's & the M2 Bradley IFV's have them still though.

The V Symbol was used on almost every vechile, during Operation Desert Shield/Storm back in 1990-91.

- 2:

On the M1A1 the V is painted on the sideskirts or on the Turret at the sloped area.

On Humwees and APC's they are painted on the sides.

Look here for screens: http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/ Just search for military stuff. Example: M1A1 Abrams.

-----------------

In my opinion, I think the vechiles look better with the V symbol painted on them. wink_o.gif

Cheers. smile_o.gif

Coalition ID symbol.

Ah, so if I make an addon with desert US vehicles, I should add the symbol on them? And where on the vehicle should it be placed?

They use different ID's all the time. In desert storm it was the V, nowadays they use the "Coalition Identification Panels".

Thanks to both of you smile_o.gif

what does these "Coalition Identification Panels" look like etc.? gah, I feel like such a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

(but yeah, I like the V-symbol too, so I might add it)

Additionally, lets not forget the useable TIP panel while we are at it smile_o.gif. Same principle afaik, with only difference they are very visible at day due to orange colour. But afaik these TIP are mostly used on top of vehicle to be identified by air support (in case they don't have any IR beackon build inside the vehicle).

->shop examples of TIP

Feel free to shoot me if wrong info was provided.

*must check end of thread before posting*

Additionally, lets not forget the useable TIP panel while we are at it smile_o.gif. Same principle afaik, with only difference they are very visible at day due to orange colour. But afaik these TIP are mostly used on top of vehicle to be identified by air support (in case they don't have any IR beackon build inside the vehicle).

->shop examples of TIP

Feel free to shoot me if wrong info was provided.

Are those still in use? I thought they were only used in Kosovo. Have an article somewhere about it in a modelling magazine.

Afaik they were used in Iraq/Afghanistan aswell (i think remember seeing HMWWV's witch one wrapped on the back trunk). But could be i'm wrong and now-a-days they are completly out of the scene...

Side not: afaik at least the TIP's were often used (layed op on ground) by units itself to mark a friendly position during air support missions.

they're deffinatly still in user - anyone who's watched that american video from an A10 will recall the 'orange rockets' comment.

british still use them on a variety of vehicles, although the tendancy at the moment is to stick smaller bars of the orange material in key locations, rather than the large tarp - scimitars still use the full tarp last I checked.