Sign in to follow this  
alpha125rbf

The AI of ArmA

After the OPF:R modifications the ArmA AI seems stupid to me:

(I have the Super AI on and set the skillz at 1.0.)

Examples:

- Running in the desert (or the airfield) on enemy soldier standing with face to you, he will open fire under 300 m range. (Detection radius is to small.)

- The enemy fire (fewer than 4 rifles) is noobish. They can’t hit you fast and you can take them all down. (No one can shoot…)

- 2 Soldiers lying in squad awaiting an attack; against them running 30 men. Order: “ 2 engage…!†And 2 stand up and run into the gun.

….

I want to create more difficult AI with the main config.cpp modifications.

At least make them:

- better shoot

- increase the detection radius

- Rate of fire

What should I add to a config???

In the class men{}

Or to Alpha125SoldierE: SoldierEMG{}

AS A TEST

In the addon config only for snipers.

By the way

camouflage = 0.70;

Is just a joke! The Black-OPS are wearing the same uniforms and can stay longer undetected….

The big problem of my mod is that the campaign will become unplayable…

confused_o.gif

in my opinion the AI isnt the smartest but smart enuff when shooting over distances +200m. So i think theres no need for such a "mod"

[...]

- Running in the desert (or the airfield) on enemy soldier standing with face to you, he will open fire under 300 m range. (Detection radius is to small.)

- The enemy fire (fewer than 4 rifles) is noobish. They can’t hit you fast and you can take them all down. (No one can shoot…)

- 2 Soldiers lying in squad awaiting an attack; against them running 30 men. Order: “ 2 engage…!† And 2 stand up and run into the gun.

[...]

The first two points are down to the weapon defines, rather than the AI defines (which need to also be considered if you wish to modify the AI engagement range). The weapon defines consists of code that tells the AI how far out to engage the enemy, and how fast to fire at that range (their rate of fire which you called 'noobish'wink_o.gif.

- 2 Soldiers lying in squad awaiting an attack; against them running 30 men. Order: “ 2 engage…!† And 2 stand up and run into the gun.

Actually that's your mistake. Engage tells the AI to assume a better position before firing. You should use target instead so he will fire from where he is.

You ask a question on the BI forums and all you get is a bunch of nobs dissing you without giving any answers at all.

Anyway.

Alpha125, it is not easy what you want to do.

You need to alter the AI itself, and the weapons they carry.

For example - your M249, you can modify the code to something like this:

minRange = 0.1;minRangeProbab = 0.1;

midRange = 400;midRangeProbab = 0.8;

maxRange = 800;maxRangeProbab = 0.1;

aiRateOfFire = 0.2;aiRateOfFireDistance = 800;

This basically says to the AI holding the weapon, "this gun can shoot out to a maximum of 800 metres with 0.2 seconds delay at full range (a quick ROF).

Then to modify the AI itself there are a few things -

Sensitivity

SensitivityEar

Camouflage

Audible

There is a lot to play with.

Quote[/b] ]You ask a question on the BI forums and all you get is a bunch of nobs dissing you without giving any answers at all.

No one "dissed" him. The three posts above yours are all constructive.

Person A walks into an ice-cream shop.

Person BC+D are behind the counter.

Person A - "Hello i would like to buy some ice cream, what flavours are there and how much do they cost?"

Person B - "Why do you want to buy ice cream, is there any need for ice cream?"

Person C - "Yes, we can sell you ice cream, it comes in several different flavours and costs an amount of money between 0 and 2000. "

Person D - "It's your fault for wanting ice cream in the first place."

If you got that kind of service, you think you would be happy?

Haha, funny!

Anyways, where do you find those values? Do you have to un-pbo the weapons files and are they the config files you're talking about??

Person A walks into an ice-cream shop.

Person BC+D are behind the counter.

Person A - "Hello i would like to buy some ice cream, what flavours are there and how much do they cost?"

Person B - "Why do you want to buy ice cream, is there any need for ice cream?"

Person C - "Yes, we can sell you ice cream, it comes in several different flavours and costs an amount of money between 0 and  2000. "

Person D - "It's your fault for wanting ice cream in the first place."

Uh huh... and so a simple solution that requires absolutely no config/AI editing isn't helpful? whistle.gif

@scubaman3D: Please try the search and the addon research thread if you want to learn how to mod for ArmA.

@Jinef: Sorry but its not possible to explain the howtos everytime someone shows up and wants to know how things are working. Btw. Jackal and Kyle only told him what he made wrong.

@scubaman3D: Please try the search and the addon research thread if you want to learn how to mod for ArmA.

My thoughts:

You're not a moderator, why do you find it necessary to tell people where they should be posting? Scubaman is asking a question that directly relates to both the thread topic and a previous post. Why is it necessary for him to post his question elsewhere?

Posts like yours are a prime example of the kind of things that Jinef so very well discredited only a few posts above this one.

Counter edit: I'm afraid that it is necessary to explain things over and over again on this forum. The search function is far from adequate for finding anything specific, especially when one has very little (or something very specific) to base a search off of.

yes scubaman, the range and rate of fire values are in cfgweapons.pbo and the others can be found in the main config (dta\bin.pbo\config.cpp) and the characters pbo.

The best way to do it is to make a small test addon where you inherit from normal BIS and change things.

blackdog~ - Neither are YOU a moderator, and you are in no position to offer advice on content.

Lets stay on topic, and keep it civil please.

blackdog~ Thanks for sticking up for me and I agree with you. smile_o.gif

Jinef, thanks for the answer.

You see everyone, it doesn't have to be like pulling teeth...

And I do have to say that this is the most uninviting forum I have been on. Its very difficult for me, you know - this subject matter.

But this elitist mentality plagues Europe, after all.

Quote[/b] ]Alpha125, it is not easy what you want to do.

As I started the topic, I wanted to do something against the disappointment of ArmA as an ego shooter, like battlefield and others.

To modify the game more realistic, and make the AI more equal to the player, at least in the shooting skills, because that was more or less “easy†to make.

I had no fun in some ArmA missions; as an example to lie at the water tower and shoot the enemy troopers in masses. NO one was hiding, no one was throwing smoke grenades, and after the 3 magazine fired no one was able to detect me…

If at least some machine gunners would fire at me, the game would have more of an “intended†infantry simulator.

Thanks for the answers thumbs-up.gif

- i realize its primary a weapon problem. I’m SORRY I answer now, but had some exams, and had to prepare myself all the time...

xmas_o.gif

I will try to create for myself a good sniper, shooting at you from 1000m distances (or at least attacking), by modifying SVD and M21 rifles.

___

I can't understand the discussion about "useful and rubbish" comments, everybody has the right to say something!

Before you writing, you should just ask yourself:

- Could it be interesting what I'm writing for other people?

Some people have the ideas, and in the most case not the knowledge how to employ them. Another people have a lot of knowledge and experience but are very fixed at the old solutions. (Some call this as a lack of imagination.)

The real genius has both: Creativity and expert knowledge. But these guys are so few that it takes too much time to expect something from them.

That’s why we discuss problems, and this is ADDONS & MODS: DISCUSSION forum..

smile_o.gifthumbs-up.gifsmile_o.gif

blackdog~ - and you are in no position to offer advice on content.

wow this board just gets more and more like a big family and less of a "I am a mod, admire me or get banned" place for everday. Keep it up.

alpha125rbf, problem is that OFP/ArmA ai goes from "dont know a shit about your postion, incoming fire" to "I can snipe you with my machinegun".

Would be awesome if you succed in what you want to do. First step would be if ai could just "sound comes from the south part" and return fire without actually firing on you.. and run for cover like you say. Good luck and sorry cant help.. but have you checked the wiki for FSM?

Biki FSM, read about ai

At the bottom of the page there is a link to a editor that you can use for edit the ai behaviour. Dont ask me how, havent tried it myself.

Just FYI... Super AI gives ALL AI 1.0 Skill... So it has no use in turning individual AI skills up and down wink_o.gif

Nice Ideas btw

I was playing a bit with longer weapon ranges and I must say that the overall feeling of the firefights is much different. It gets hot when you've got max range for LMG set at 1000 m and range for rifles set at 500 m. If anyone's interested, I can put my test on some ftp.

And ofcourse I'm looking forward to see more realistic ai in ARMA, hope someone can make it...

The ArmA AI engine is made for kids; I think. In the VBS2 engine a mashine gunner creates supressive fire from 500m (commercial video).

My skill is set to 1.0, super KI enabled.

My CPU is a Athlon 939 - 3800 X2 with 2Gz double core...

help.gif

EXAMPLE: Im driving at an US marine squard with my soviet T72. The terrain is - airfield, 12 o'clock. Sun shining. I made a waypoint, looking through optics at them, see the reaction and distance.

300m - US soldiers do nothing. I hold for 30 seconds - nothing.

200m - earth should vibrate under thier feet... The CO - lets have a look through my binocular! After 10 sec. No reaction.

150m - Soldiers - oh shit, a tank (150m); lets take cover!

The marines going down under my PKT, AT soldier fires.

goodnight.gif

Thats definetly not a military sim, if the bots detecting a tank from 200 - 150 m!!

I wanna fix this too.

Have you looked at your profile-folders configs? Those distances aren't right, my AI skill is set to 1, and they seems to see very well, many times better than me. Once i was leaning behind corner and watched enemy squad at 250-300 meters... AT-guy spotted me in about 10 seconds. That was pleasuring supprise...

Are you sure there wasn't something like sandbags or other objects near AI? It might be reason for it.

Quote[/b] ]

class regular

{

class Flags

{

Armor=0;

FriendlyTag=1;

EnemyTag=0;

HUD=1;

HUDPerm=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

AutoSpot=1;

Map=1;

WeaponCursor=1;

AutoGuideAT=1;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

Tracers=0;

UltraAI=1;

AutoAim=0;

UnlimitedSaves=1;

};

skillFriendly=1.000000;

skillEnemy=1.000000;

precisionFriendly=1.000000;

precisionEnemy=1.000000;

};

class veteran

{

class Flags

{

HUD=1;

HUDWp=1;

HUDWpPerm=1;

WeaponCursor=1;

ClockIndicator=1;

3rdPersonView=1;

Tracers=0;

UltraAI=1;

};

skillFriendly=1.000000;

skillEnemy=1.000000;

precisionFriendly=1.000000;

precisionEnemy=1.000000;

};

--- I hope the 1.08 patch is not the last one.

If you shoot, Second, the AI detects you. And the Ai is good with enemy detection in forests, night, fog.. Its funny that always AT guys shoot at far away targets, and the MGs do not.