Sign in to follow this  
Killerx20

A question.

Ok, so I was wondering if you shot a rocket at a building or used a tank and shot a building, would it take a chunk out of it? like the demonstration video used for Virtual BattleSpace dynamic buildings

No... not even a little bit.

If you shot a bunch of them into it it would eventually collapse into a pile of rubble, tho, as shown in the airstrike vids and a few others.

Oh well, thats better then nothing! Tho.. do you think it might be possable to mod it in?

Oh well, thats better then nothing! Tho.. do you think it might be possable to mod it in?

Not like it was in VBS probably, but I'm sure people will try. It may not look pretty, or it may be impractical and/or CPU intensive, but I'm sure someone will do it just as an experiment and to prove it can be done, but I wouldn't expect it to see any practical or widescale use.

Quote[/b] ]

Yes and no. They did something for it with OFP, but it wasn't that great because there were no physics applied to the buildings... you could make a building out of chunks and blast the chunks out... but you could totally demolish the bottom floor and the top floor would still float there. That, and applying that to every building in saranhi would be a resource hog like no other! The best I could think of would be that some chunks are able to be blown out of some buildings, but after a certain number of hp are knocked out, the whole thing comes down... but that would make every building of the same type destructable in the same way. There would be nothing dynamic about it.

edit: quoted what I was replying to rather than seeming like I was replying to Kyle.

Quote[/b] ]applying that to every building in saranhi would be a resource hog

thats prolly the only thing that cant be done, the rest is possible and better than the vbs system.

i would only ever think this kind of world would be used in a cqb map on a small town, to make a whole island deformable and buildings destructable would need nasa, unless a system of streaming was employed where ,if the player is not withing 1000 meters of a town .the town isnt there , but for flying that would cancel out all the gains.

i was hoping the same thing as this kid, about a month ago, and i was dissapointed, but when i thought about it, it is pretty good idea not to enlist it, look at ragdoll, the game dsnt has any, decreases lag, adds more realism...in other game, you shoot a guy, he dies in rag doll, and then he lands lk a soldier hands at sides and all that. this is pretty good. ww2OL game uses havok engine to recognise the collision between objects, so anyone know waht engine ARMA uses?

heres some answers to the questions youll have leading from do buildings collapse.

Shoot soldier in legs they are crippelled and can only crawl

Shoot soldier in arms their gun waves around.

Head shots tend to be one round kills

Torso tends to be double or even triple tap.

Density of material you are behind provides varying cover from fire penetration. Hiding behind a wooden fence when enemy knows you are there is no longer advisable.

Bullets can and do ricochet of street walls but do not expect to bounce machine gun fire off one wall around a corner and hit anything. You might do it but probably not.

Yes you can shoot drivers and indeed gunners such as M113, and car gunners. Particular pasengers can be shot. (useful for assasination mision scenarios)

Yes a hit to fuel tank causes a gas leak. But no; one shot to the gas tank does not make it explode ala silly holywood movie crap. It takes a bit more than that to blow up a gas tank.

Yes shooting the rear rotor on helicopters leads to blackhawk down style incedent.

Shooting gun on tank remoes ability of gun to elevate, shooting tracks causes inability of that particular track to move (driving in circles) Destroying both tracks leads to mobility kills.

Shooting Front body of a tank wounds and kills drivers while leaving the commander and guner OK. Shoot turret and the oposite happens.

Have not checked tyres on cars but in OFP shooting tyres lead to a flat presume its the same in ArmA

anyone knows what engine the AMRA USES?

How much realism they could put into a game is incredable!! lol anyway it says on wikipedia that the engine is called Real Virtuality 2.

Have not checked tyres on cars but in OFP shooting tyres lead to a flat presume its the same in ArmA

Unfortunately, if you shoot tyres of a vehicle in ArmA, the textures of the whole wheel changes into some ugly rotten/burn thing, but it doesn't flat (but it is destroyed and the car can no longer move the way it did before).

I liked much much more the old OFP style of simulating flat tyres.

IMO the ArmA way of destroying tyres looks silly and unbelievable sad_o.gif

mostly because the car wont shift/tilt/whatever to the side due to the punctured tyre, as it did in OFP.

so anyone know waht engine ARMA uses?

BIS developed all of their own engines for OFP, VBS, ArmA, and Game 2. ArmA's engine is essentially an upgrade of the OFP:E or VBS1 engine, which themselves are further developed versions of the original OFP engine, developed by BIS. They didn't use any 3rd party engines if that's what you mean. For example, they have their own SpeedTree type thing (vegetation editor) called Linda, and it's somehow based on the "growth processes of plant development" (the Lindenmayer system).

Quote[/b] ]IMO the ArmA way of destroying tyres looks silly and unbelievable

mostly because the car wont shift/tilt/whatever to the side due to the punctured tyre, as it did in OFP.

You could probably still simulate that with animations. And the ArmA system is more of a wheel damage simulation, not just the tires but the whole wheel. It all works now like tank tracks/wheels did in OFP, probably because there are no longer any real (or no longer as much of a distinction between) hard coded simulations for vehicle types (like in OFP, a car was a car and had it's own rules for behaving like a car, they had tires and steering wheels, tanks had tracks and armor and were good firing platforms, and no matter how hard you tried you couldn't get a wheeled vehicle to behave like the tanks did without making it a tank), and so they sought something more universal. I may be wrong however... it's just a guess. Now let's keep this thread from going off topic (if it ever had one to begin with).

It would absolutely rock if the buildings could literally be shot into little pieces but that would have to be very hard on the computer to make it look good and to maintain decent performance. On a small scale no problem but on ArmA's scale it will cause problems no doubt about that. Technically possible but practically I guess we are still some good distance away from seeing such things in games like ArmA.

They didn't use any 3rd party engines if that's what you mean.

You must have talked directly to BIS developers to get that information. Edit: To clarify what I mean, for sure not all of the code used was developed by BIS. Framework might be their product but how about subsections, how can you tell?

Main problem would be multiplayer. You would have to make sure the building collapses in exactly the same way on all clients, which would mean a huge increase in network traffic.

To clarify what I mean, for sure not all of the code used was developed by BIS. Framework might be their product but how about subsections, how can you tell?

Probably because I don't see anyone outside BIS being mentioned in the credits or trademarks, except the GameSpy and IDEA games of course. This is taken from Czech version manual. German, European and whatnot other versions that will be out there probably also have their respective publishers credited.

Another point is that BI themselves confirmed in many interviews that all of the ArmA code and tools are made in-house by their own team.

There is code in OFP:R developed by other companies than BIS. I'm not talking about a 3D engine or about a physics engine, I'm saying there is libraries used which form important parts of the product and which are not necessarily mentioned anywhere in documentation. Many libraries only require that you must not claim the code was written by you (no need to mention in documentation of your product). About 3D engine and physics engine for example, I think it cannot be said for sure based on the interviews and what is written into these forums if those engines were actually written from scratch by BIS or did they use something made by others as a basis. That's what I meant when I questioned what KyleSarnik said. You must go directly to the programmers and ask them what did they use to know for sure.

Stop here this is offtopic smile_o.gif

if i may add some info about physics engine ...

it was said multiple times that Game2 may utilize heavy modified open source ODE (Open Dynamics Engine) website

while watching ArmA i think certain portions like bridge colapsing could be already in ...

yet as i see no ODE logo, link or mention anywhere on ArmA/BIS/BISWIKI it's all just my speculation ...

p.s. baddy what code You speak about ?

Quote[/b] ]There is code in OFP:R developed by other companies than BIS.

Only what comes to my mind is Intel JPEG library used ...

there is no licenced middleware/technology mentioned in history of OFP games

(if you ignore GameSpy code for server browser and master list , now in ARmA OpenAL for Audio, Vorbis for OGG support and Speex for VOIP support)

Ifc22.dll and ijl15.dll are apparently libraries made by others in OFP:R. Is3dfx.dll I cannot say when looking at it... googling doesn't help much either.

this mabye offtopic because it relates to cwc ,but i always like an oportunity to link this article (the dev and release of cwc). also at the bottom of the page is the info about code used etc.

The article

this mabye offtopic because it relates to cwc ,but i always like an oportunity to link this article (the dev and release of cwc). also at the bottom of the page is the info about code used etc.

The article

Deserves a thread of it's own. Thanks I never read it before.

Well not much info about coding side itself other than DirectPlay sucked but still, very interesting article thank you for the link.

Must've been quite an enormous relief to at last get OFP out of the door!

They didn't use any 3rd party engines if that's what you mean.

You must have talked directly to BIS developers to get that information. Edit: To clarify what I mean, for sure not all of the code used was developed by BIS. Framework might be their product but how about subsections, how can you tell?

And this relatively small amount of code hardly qualifies as an engine. Anyway, my point was BIS created the OFP engine (Poseidon/Real Virtuality), the beloved core engine that made OFP what it is, specifically for OFP, and continue to use it, rather than just using some popular existing engines and stuff made by someone else like so many devs do these days.

Edit: If you look at the BI Technology page you can see their frequent use of the term proprietary.

The thing I wanted to point out was that BIS did everything their way (just about everything about the game was unique) and for that they are innovative. I just get tired of all these other games that are all the same thing with different icing on them, and everyone but BIS seems afraid to try something new.

Ifc22.dll and ijl15.dll are apparently libraries made by others in OFP:R. Is3dfx.dll I cannot say when looking at it... googling doesn't help much either.

files You highlight ...

ifc22.dll = Immersion Foundation Classes

Quote[/b] ]The Immersion Foundation Classes (IFC) SDK version 2.3.5 is a powerful set of libraries and samples that allow developers to easily create ;write-once, support; touch-enabled devices software. Software applications that use IFC to create their tactile sensations will work both through the DirectX API on all DirectX force feedback gaming products (joysticks, wheels, gamepads) and through the Immersion TouchSense API on all Immersion pointing products (mice, trackballs).

is3Dfx.dll = similar like above but related to 3DFX videocard (Glide)

ij15dfx.dll = Intel JPEG Library

... so  smile_o.gif

Well, they didn't need to re-invent the wheel now, did they. wink_o.gif

Edit:

@Kyle:

Although, I don't think how ArmA is something new. Highly improved, yes, but certainly not new. I think "new" will actually come with Game2 when it's time comes.

Although, I don't think how ArmA is something new. Highly improved, yes, but certainly not new. I think "new" will actually come with Game2 when it's time comes.

I know, I was talking about OFP. And to me ArmA and OFP are one in the same anyway, so I'll often refer to them as the same thing, since you're right it's not new, still classic OFP but so much nicer.