Sign in to follow this  
dan9of9

Arma/Ofp players

Please dont lock this,i just wanna know a few things from the community here that play arma,and ofp.

Guys,you know BF2 (dare i say it :P )

i have reasons as to why i dont like it.

Can you give me some reasons why you dont like bf2 please.

and please dont just put "cos its not realistic" cos that dont help.

I ask this,cos i wanna reflection against arma and ofp,as to what has what,and what doesnt have what, to then find out whats what biggrin_o.gif (as a whole)

Ill start.

Ok,bf2 hates:

Fog distance.

Stupid Bunny hop.

Bullet spread.

Small maps (compared to arma/ofp)

Game Modes multiplayer (ex: base capture allowing back base's to be taken unlike jotr which had one after the other bases to force action hot spots)

Tanks dominating maps (love infantry gun fights way more)

Stats.

Dont worry this aint no bf2 sales show,im interested in why ive seen some of you say that bf2 was this terrible terrible game.

yet there it still stands,being played,with a superb editor.

yes it had its stupid pit falls and stuff,im just curious as to what you think it lacked,after now nkowing what lacks in arma.

so think carefully,wanna cross refrence you statements to how arma is,or ofp is.

a few of our friends played ofp for 2 years solid (lan mode mostly),at the same time,we had an online game black hawk down for some fast fun.

Then suddenly JOTR was released,it was great.the online clan was born. Ok it was not the game ofp was and its reaslism (at the time) but jotr held almost as big maps,with 120 players per server,(that are still full today)

JOTR was a game that was fun,fast,big maps,great game play, yet allowed you "time out"

Time out as in,like ofp,you could chill the hell out while the action is still ramping hot in the middle of the map somewhere.

allowing the team to gather btr's boats for a massive attack. (just like in ofp)

Althou jotr was good,it had its non realistic sides ofc,like when running,the gun point was always solid where you fired,kinda unrealistc,but non the less,fun.

Then that died cos nova suked ass and changed all the weapons and added bullet spread.

we tried bf2 for something new.this ofc was great in areas,not so in other areas.

anyway.post away guys,and dont get shitty with each other :P

-1 shot with any weapon in ofp/arma can kill a soldier, not in bf2

-bf2 has allways the same maps which makes this game very boring - in ofp/arma nearly all maps are made by the community and there is really any kind of type to play which is very unlikely happening in bf2

BF2 is a rather mindless arcade game, ArmA is more over a sim. Two different games completely smile_o.gif

BF2 is a rather mindless arcade game, ArmA is more over a sim. Two different games completely smile_o.gif

very true smile_o.gif

but if you had to explain as to why they are like that,what would you put.

and not arcade= shit, sim = amazing,lmao

(you can list negatives that others have put too smile_o.gif )

I don't PVP very often. Maybe a coop game turns into a PVP or something and I'll play. Then it's only fun if the other people are as bad as me.

So I guess if they came out with some PVP maps where you only have one life each. You had a mission and the other side had a mission and you meet at some point.

So thats PVP - Now lets talk about the other things. COOP missions of any type and size. They can involve day, night, dawn, dusk, rain, clouds, land, air and sea or any combination of that. They can be made as hard or easy and as the maker wants. The boundaries are set by the imagination and ability of the scripter.

The size of the island isn't just HUGE, it varies in terrain type. I can still remember the first time I walked out of some woods only to stair up at a VERY VERY tall mountain cliff. WOW.

I'll admit that you may not find what your looking for in AA. It's not the best traditional PVP game. I played Bf1 at my brothers house. It took ten minutes to learn the game and 10 more minutes to learn the strategies the other players were using. I did ok, but It takes time to learn the angles and flying stuff.

Many Coop players have waited a long time for a new game. The PVP have a bunch of options and AA is one more. I hope it gets modded or fixed to your desires. good luck.

I never said Arcade was shite it is was it is, quick mindless fun which is good at times but overtime people can grow tired of it. Its mainstream and although admittedly more popular then sim games etc It doesnt offer half as much as a game such as arma.

If youve played OFP you will know where Im coming from, there are negatives in both games But as far as the OFP community they will understand the reasons why such a game has kept us gripped for so many years, and the same will go for ArmA.

Its down to everyones personal choice, like marmite its for some not for others. There are many many reasons and differences but right now Im tired as sin. smile_o.gif

Think he means Player v Player.

Never played BF2, I always thought that having vehicles on maps you could spit accross was a bit pointless.

Joint Operation, well I only play the reality mod for that with no vehicle spawn and only AAS type maps to squeze the maximum realism out of a pretty limited game engine.

Now Arma is here, its flashpoint with Join in progress so we dont have to wait untill a map ends to join and we can now exploit its abillity to have large multiplayer maps with battles that have the potential to last for days, as long as the Map makers stop making 8 player CoOp's that hark back to the older Flashpoint days. CTI will be the mission to play on a large scale, as long as BIS sort out the bugs i it .

i enjoyed bf2 and special forces .. for what it was .. an online fp shooter .. ofp/arma is something totally different virtually anything is possible you only need look at user missions to see the diversity of the game.. nothing wrong with bf2 just a different kind of game..

I remember buying BF2 because my clan was having a short adventure in that game. I started playing and was trying to get into it and like it. However everything I did was countered with a result that didn't match my expectations.

The whole game's engine feels weightless, the fact that the models and maps are just vectors with texture painted over them always raises its ugly head. As a contrast in OFP and ArmA there is a different feel of scale and environment for example because the arms and legs you see in first person view is the same on the outside and although the scenery is less unique than crafted levels, realistic scope of movement and logical building placement make up for it. Secondly it feels too gamey with its unflexible damage system and cone of fire that don't really give soul to every round you shoot, they are just excel statistics that either hit or miss and inflict a certain amount of damage until the opponent dies.

In the end I sold my copy of BF2 to another unlucky soul that was yet to experience the horrors that have the nerve to exist. I'm appalled that games like that have serious competitions with big money prizes when it's nothing more than the outcome of meetings by the marketing department of EA.

BF2 does not have any ballistics (afaik).

Very important point for me.

The Helo controls are rediculous, too.

Bf2 is a chinese firedrill. Like keystone cops looking for a crime. Thats about all I can really say about Bf2. Now OFP/Arma, is a slowed paced, more of a thinkers game, with moments of chaos. Thats what sets it apart from all other games IMO. But unlike BF2 and most games, we play COOPS for hours on end. Its more like going on a weekend with your buddies going on a hunting trip than really playing a game. You develope trust in your teammates, habits, personalities play more a part of your enjoyment than the game itself when playing Coop on voive coms since we do spend 6-10 hours straight playing when we get together. BF's fast-paced, react dont think type action kills that very atmosphere and leaves you drained after you play. As well as feeling like you play alone with others just being around.

So to sum it up, even though they are both games, BF2 is a childrens game of sorts, OFP/Arma is an evening with friends. At least in Coop mode.

BF2 doesnt have to be played as a mindless shooter. Even the most arcade version of BF2 (vanilla I suppose) can be played very slow paced, methodical and tactical. It all depends whom you are playing with. It is the people not only the game that makes the difference. I suggest you check out TG Tactical Mod, Project Reality, Point of Existence 2 and Forgotten Hope 2 (when it is released).

BF2 is a game best suited for impromptu sessions. With a couple of standard squad procedures  and on a teamwork-supporting server, it is the ideal game for weekday quick get-togethers for fun.

Armed Assault is an excellent (scope, community support, etc) simulation. Best suited for pre-planned coop sessions to simulate a small/big scale military operation.

These games are in different categories and they both represent the best examples in their respective group. Play either one of these on a random public server and you will -most likely- feel frustrated and disappointed.

In the era of single player gaming, finding the right game was all you needed to do for quality time. In the age of multiplayer gaming, you also need to find like-minded people, clans OR communities, to get the best from the game. There are many of these and all you need to do is check one by one to see which one is best for you.

Exactly. it also depends on how you play. however what makes difference between ArmA and BF2 is the scale of combat.

i.e. in urban area, BF2 is matter of how to take that building, alley, MG position and such, while ArmA is matter of how to take the town. if you wanna try to "simulate" the real world mil tactics, BF2 is suit for cooperation of teamates + one tank or IFV. ArmA is suit for cooparation of multiple squad and/or tank platoon.

so i think it's totally pointless to say "BF2 is for kids, ArmA is for grown people". both game is for fun. both game has ability to play as "simulator" - it depends on what you want to simulate.

I guess you can say "go fish" and "texas hold em" are both card games for adults since they use the same deck, but no matter how many ways you cut it...BF is the "Go Fish" of type of games.

Ive played Forgotten Hope mod, heck even Red Orch is a more realistic game than Arma if you get right down to it. But the style of games these are attract the child like mentalities for a reason, just like certain card games do. Arma like Poker, can be played by kids like adults can play "GO FISH" but the styles dont lend themselves for it much. If you dont know what a Chinese Fire drill is or the Keystone cops (20 people all jump in a paddy wagon rushing to a meaningless objective), for that matter, I guess you just wont catch my meaning on what I feel makes BF2 what it is. It is was it is and no mods, players, or graphics will change that much.

I remember buying BF2 because my clan was having a short adventure in that game. I started playing and was trying to get into it and like it. However everything I did was countered with a result that didn't match my expectations.

The whole game's engine feels weightless, the fact that the models and maps are just vectors with texture painted over them always raises its ugly head. As a contrast in OFP and ArmA there is a different feel of scale and environment for example because the arms and legs you see in first person view is the same on the outside and although the scenery is less unique than crafted levels, realistic scope of movement and logical building placement make up for it. Secondly it feels too gamey with its unflexible damage system and cone of fire that don't really give soul to every round you shoot, they are just excel statistics that either hit or miss and inflict a certain amount of damage until the opponent dies.

In the end I sold my copy of BF2 to another unlucky soul that was yet to experience the horrors that have the nerve to exist. I'm appalled that games like that have serious competitions with big money prizes when it's nothing more than the outcome of meetings by the marketing department of EA.

well someone made a video to show there is "bullet drops" in BF2, what i through when watching it was: WTF!?

i mean, will you brothered those little drops over some 700 meters when you can have a 1.5KM headshot in OFP wink_o.gif

notice that i am not saying bad things about BF2, as i acturally enjoyed some crazy fun in it, yet no matter how hard you tried to play it realisticly or teamwork wise, it just still doesnt have that "born to be" feeling on it, everything seems to be a little bit wrong when you play it realisticly, and this single thing make them quite different games of their own

BF2 does not have any ballistics (afaik).

Very important point for me.

The Helo controls are rediculous, too.

Hello controls are by far much better than Arma ones.

Yea, helos are better in bf2 right now, but I am confident that patches will make arma helos better.

Gne, sorry, you mean a gliding UFO is simulating a chopper better? crazy_o.gif

I used to play CS.. in fact, I played it back in 1998/99 from beta 4.5 to the implimentation of steam in version 1.6. It's arcady, but it was more realistic than doom or other deathmatch type games. Anyone who says that that game or other games can't be tactical doesn't know what they are talking about. Reflexes are more of a factor in terms of ultimate success, however, my main tool was my mind as it is in ofp or ArmA. I found great success against players or even groups of players who by all accounts displayed a decent mastery of reflex related shooting. It's not realistic, but neither is chess or checkers.

I only played a demo of BF2, but i stoped playing when i realised you can't kill someone when fireing five bullets in his chest, but you have to use rocket launcher instead...