Sign in to follow this  
Kirq

Crosshair issue

I dont know about You Guys but i hate that Arma has crosshair. Crosshair and zoom makes ironsight totally useless. The accurancy when using crosshair plus zoom is same or better than using ironsigt but your view is obstructed with weapon in ironsight view. Some of You will propably say " dont like crosshair ? turn it off in options" ... so i did but it makes nade throwing and shoting grenade laucher imposible because of lack of 3d ironsight for m203 and lack of any nade throwing marker. Other problem is that in MP most of ppl use crosshair ( "to pwn noobs using ironsights" crazy_o.gif ) so it is some sort of handicap to use ironsight during MP games .

I hope that BIS will fix crosshair in new patch ( make it less accurate pls ! ) or create m203 ironsight and some sort of nade throwing crosshair.

To show You my point ive recorded and youtubed short vid showing 249 shoting at long range using crosshair.

I couldn't have said it any better. Why bother having a game with iron sights if you can shoot just as accuratly if not more so and have a broader field of view without them?

Are you sure accuracy is better? wow_o.gif

There should be some parallax issue when not in ironsight which makes you innacurate, unless the zoom feature puts your eyes right behind the ironsight

I agree.

In addition, the firendly tag system is linked to the crosshairs. If you dont have the crosshairs, you cant have the tag system. Even if it is on in the server side.

These two features need to be separated. I am forced to leave th crosshairs on just so I can have the tags on which is not Kosher in my book.

I agree.  

In addition, the firendly tag system is linked to the crosshairs.  If you dont have the crosshairs, you cant have the tag system.  Even if it is on in the server side.

These two features need to be separated. I am forced to leave th crosshairs on just so I can have the tags on which is not Kosher in my book.

Yeah, one silly, unrealistic feature should not depend on another silly, unrealistic feature!

Hey, im the one who you posted the video response to wink_o.gif

I still disagree to some extent...

1) If crosshair is disabled in the game then its hard to aim where you want to without having to bring up your sights. In real life you can have a *feel* for where the bullets are aiming, playing a game with a floating aim cursor + mouse doesnt give you the feel of which direction the weapon is pointing (if you know what i mean)

2) Yes the ironsights/scopes need tweaking, they lag a little more than without so fine tuning a shot is a little harder.

3) If you have been sprinting or if you are rapid firing the actual aim in the centre of the crosshair moves around and thus reducing your aim

4) I dont think the crosshair has been made more accurate than it was in OFP.. and i dont remember the crosshair being very much of an issue...

5) The M249 needs tweaking as it is scarily accurate when prone, i wouldnt say the crosshair needs any inaccuracies on it though.

6) This is a game afterall =)

Hey, im the one who you posted the video response to wink_o.gif

I still disagree to some extent...

1) If crosshair is disabled in the game then its hard to aim where you want to without having to bring up your sights. In real life you can have a *feel* for where the bullets are aiming, playing a game with a floating aim cursor + mouse doesnt give you the feel of which direction the weapon is pointing (if you know what i mean)

2) Yes the ironsights/scopes need tweaking, they lag a little more than without so fine tuning a shot is a little harder.

3) If you have been sprinting or if you are rapid firing the actual aim in the centre of the crosshair moves around and thus reducing your aim

4) I dont think the crosshair has been made more accurate than it was in OFP.. and i dont remember the crosshair being very much of an issue...

5) The M249 needs tweaking as it is scarily accurate when prone, i wouldnt say the crosshair needs any inaccuracies on it though.

6) This is a game afterall =)

Hi there smile_o.gif

ad1. I dont have big problem with aiming at short distances without crosshair or ironsight, second or third bulllet is in target in most of cases , i believe its similar to real life accurancy without using ironsight.

ad2. Its more about performace tweaking imho.

ad3. You have same shakes when using ironsights after long run, its not the point.

ad4. But we are talking about ArmA not OFP tounge2.gif

ad5. Watch my vid to the end, i was crouched, not prone.

ad5. I agree smile_o.gif

Yes but ArmA is running a modified version of the OFP:E engine and therefore it is basically the same game with some polish + modifications.

As i said the M249 is too accurate.

Also its much harder when actually playing the game online to shoot a player like you did,

1) lag/desync

2) players are usually on the move

3) concealment

4) they could be firing back forcing you to move

I still see no issues with the crosshair imo. Just some minor weapons tweaks.

The crosshair should disapear when you zoom without being in sight mode, the whole zoom thing is weird, it magnifies way too much in sight mode.

People will end up playing Arma like far cry (no sights, crosshair aiming).. hopefully some servers will enforce veteran mode.

Quote[/b] ]class CfgWeaponCursors {

class RifleCursorCore; // External class reference

class MGCursorCore; // External class reference

class LawCursorCore; // External class reference

class RifleCursor : RifleCursorCore {

texture = "\ca\Weapons\Data\w_weapon_T";

};

class MGCursor : MGCursorCore {

texture = "\ca\Weapons\Data\w_weapon_mg";

};

class LawCursor : LawCursorCore {

texture = "\ca\Weapons\Data\w_weapon";

};

class GLCursor : RifleCursorCore {

texture = "\ca\Weapons\Data\w_weapon_G";

};

};

Put it in the wishlist for your favorite weapon addon/mod. whistle.gif

heavy machineguns are FAR more useful without using the ironsights, as well as not having to deal with head bob you can also just aim with the tracers whether the crosshair is on or not. Definately needs fixing both crosshairs and tracers

Crosshair and zoom makes ironsight totally useless. The accurancy when using crosshair plus zoom is same or better than using ironsigt but your view is obstructed with weapon in ironsight view.

Totally agreed! notworthy.gif

Ultimate realistic simulator doesn't need zoom. If you want to zoom, just should use your binocular. Moreover I can't figure out zoom in ironsight view. What does this step correspond in real rife? When you use ironsight, your right(left) eye is already close to the ironsight. There is no room for zoom action. huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]5) The M249 needs tweaking as it is scarily accurate when prone, i wouldnt say the crosshair needs any inaccuracies on it though.

The stability and the accuracy of M249 exceeds those of M4 or M16. I guess the problem comes from crosshairs. If the floating crosshair was invisible, you have to use ironsight or see tracers to adjust your sight. This would bring difficulty in managing of M249 without distorting realistic parameters of M249. tounge2.gif

Ultimate realistic simulator doesn't need zoom. If you want to zoom, just should use your binocular. Moreover I can't figure out zoom in ironsight view. What does this step correspond in real rife? When you use ironsight, your right(left) eye is already close to the ironsight. There is no room for zoom action. huh.gif

It's to counter-balance the fact the AI can see you at long distances so you should be able to see them or it's there as an alternative to a hard stare/concentrate.  whistle.gif

Zoom's there to help you see things past a certain distance on a limited resolution. We had a lengthy debate about that some time ago. I'm guessing the people who are against zoom play on higher resolutions.

Zoom's there to help you see things past a certain distance on a limited resolution. We had a lengthy debate about that some time ago. I'm guessing the people who are against zoom play on higher resolutions.

I agree.

I found zoom very usefull feature not for shooting, but for reconizing "what the hell are those 2 black dots on that hill ?" wink_o.gif .

Zoom is to zoom back in to 1:1 ratio. What you think or "normal view" is just zoomed out to fit lots of vision (60 deg worth) on a small screen (taking up 20 deg of your vision). I haven't done the math to see if it's accurate or not, but that's the idea of the zoom.

I do wish there was an option between crosshairs full on and crosshairs totally gone. For the most part I love crosshairs off except real short range snap shooting is too hard (10-20m), grenades are missing a way to aim, M203s missing a way to aim, and can't tell who the guy 2 ft from you is.

Sounds like someone needs to join the army.

Moreover I can't figure out zoom in ironsight view. What does this step correspond in real rife?

Supposed to represent holding your breath. Notice that you can't do it forever, after a while you'll need to take some deep breaths and your aim gets less stable than before.

Of course, I don't understand the heavy breathing noises starting the instant you press the "hold breath" key lol.

It's to counter-balance the fact the AI can see you at long distances so you should be able to see them or it's there as an alternative to a hard stare/concentrate.  whistle.gif

Yeah, as long as there is a limitaton of resolution, we should have an alternative method. But still we need zoom action in ironsight? I guess there is no zoom action in ironsight in OFP. When you press "V" key, you simple see the ironsight with zoomed view. I guess this step is natural and cannot understand why BIS introduced nonzoomed ironsight in ArmA. wink_o.gif

Well the zoom to the ironsight on ArmA is so you can see around you while you have your ironsight up, then when you go to take the shot you put your eye close. Maybe not so good on the 'iron' sights but i think necessary on the scope as it takes up your FOV and its hard to hit anything without zooming in close on the scope..

Now we have two or three steps to shoot enemy on ironsight.

Normal view ( -> zoomed normal view) -> normal ironsight -> zoomed ironsight

But in this bothering proccess I am often shot by enemies because it takes much time to sight the enemy. I'd like a simple proccess just like OFP;

Normal view -> zoomed ironsight

just to clarify something : the crosshair when zoomed IS NOT as accurate as ironsights . i've tested this multiple times , using the crosshair for long distance shots is a no no , you'll be dead soon. maybe it happened in 1.0 but in 1.01 it sure as hell doesn't. about about going back to OFP's original sight system , hell no! as much as i loved OFP , the 3d ironsights of Arma are much more immersive , not to mention more realistic.

about crosshair removal...it will happen in a future mod anyway , so dont bloody complain. biggrin_o.gif

Before i bought ArmA i was against any form of zoom in game ( except binoculars/scopes of course) after playing ArmA for while i see that small zoom is necesary because some 300-400m infantry engagement would be unposible. Noone can hit a moving pixel so slight zoom is ok, atm zoom is to big imho , it should be smaller but definately it should be in game. The problem arise when we put together ultracurate crosshair and zoom, it makes ironsight useless in my opinion. If someone would like to know my opinion how to make it more realistic and dont spoil gameplay the answer is simple - MAKE CROSSHAIR LESS ACCURATE AND REDUCE ZOOM A BIT.

To be honest im realy surprised by crosshair in such a realistic game as ArmA, it like in any arcade shoter, just dont fit the game at all in current shape. Thats why i switched it off .... but nades and GL forced me to tur it back on.

@icehollow- please check out my vid from the starting post, it show how accurate crosshair is, notice that enemy is barely visible without binoculars and i killed him with two 2-3 bullet bursts i wasnt prone and i managet to do this in first attempt.

@icehollow- please check out my vid from the starting post, it show how accurate crosshair is, notice that enemy is barely visible without binoculars and i killed him with two 2-3 bullet bursts i wasnt prone and i managet to do this in first attempt.

Try taking out a squad of 8 opfor at the same range. You may have to hit the dirt as there will be tiny little metal things buzzing your way. To prove a point of accuracy it did that, but it doesn't mean you'll instantly become a sharpshooter by using this method.