Sign in to follow this  
remcen

IM:UC Release

i say you should include more Tanks and Vehicles for the iraki, it would be nice to see kuwaity troop as well thumbs-up.gif

sure, i'd also love to see them ingame. pay me say 2000 bucks a month and i work day and night on them.... no seriously - all in all it was simply a matter of time. we had to focus on things to make and sacrifice others. otherwise the mod would have never been released.

i had some free time over the holidays. i finished what i could and released everything that was more or less complete. if you wanted only a slightly better pack you would have had to wait another few month.

for addon making the simple principle of the diminishing marginal gain per invested time unit applies, simple as that. in other words: 90% of an addon done can mean that it might take you just the same time already invested to make it completely bugfree and polished.

Quote[/b] ]wheeled vehicles blow up as soon as i cross the bridge at speed, haha.

hoho, that's a general problem with bridges in OFP. wink_o.gif even on the nogovan bridge wheeled vehicles break, tracked ones get stuck, etc. that's why i added those grilles at the start and end of the bridges btw.

i tried to make the bridges as good as possible in my limited time, tested it with wheeled vehicles and low speed and tracked with normal speed. overall my bridges didn't work out as bad as i expected, to be honest wink_o.gif

As long as i'm using the bridges for low & fast badass helicopter flyouts, bridges work fine for me biggrin_o.gif

remcen, i'm waiting for the end of this sunday and you know why, but i woun't push you, update as long as it takes. It's just that update is welcome.gif

remcen i would but is in that illegal ?? i would pay you 200 dollars a month if you would make a Mexican Armed forces and the drug cartels battleing all over northern mexico.. seriously i would me myself i live in the border of the u.s. and mexica i hear from that every day whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]wheeled vehicles blow up as soon as i cross the bridge at speed, haha.

hoho, that's a general problem with bridges in OFP. wink_o.gif even on the nogovan bridge wheeled vehicles break, tracked ones get stuck, etc. that's why i added those grilles at the start and end of the bridges btw.

i tried to make the bridges as good as possible in my limited time, tested it with wheeled vehicles and low speed and tracked with normal speed. overall my bridges didn't work out as bad as i expected, to be honest wink_o.gif

Its because your roadway LODs do not quite match up...(The bridge on Nogova has a section on each end where it does not line up with the ground quite right).

These problems are VERY fixable.

I de-pbo'ed your bridges, and made the roadway LODs of each section a little longer (so they overlap when put together)

Tried it out in game, and they work MUCH better (but still need tweeking in one spot)

IMHO You would be better off combining some of those sections into larger ones, with one consistent roadway LOD.

VERY EXCELLENT map, by the way...

I seem to be getting a weird issue - when using the BMD-1 as an AI support vehicle - when they reach their objective - they do donuts and can't stop - even when the enemy is near - any ideas on what may be causing this ?

BTW Remcen - if you are able (I know you put this in the readme) can you create some groups for your Iraqi infantry units - they are top notch - I understand what you are saying with regards to mis-matched equipment but the Rep Guard units had a fairly disciplined uniformity to them - unlike the Reg Army or Popular Army troops - top notch stuff though but I am trying to use your map to recreate some Iran/Iraq battles on a larger scale.

Cheers,

I seem to be getting a weird issue - when using the BMD-1 as an AI support vehicle - when they reach their objective - they do donuts and can't stop - even when the enemy is near - any ideas on what may be causing this ?

That is usually caused by a point in the memory LOD being located underneath the vehicle, and under ground...often times an axis point for gun recoil seems to be the culprit.

Hey Remcen, very good work indeed! I firstly expected some half-grown work like often done by the Lost Brothers Studios but this is excellent! I like the units AND fell in love with the beautiful Island. Just amazing those arabian stores and the pretty highway!

The only thing I disliked was the bridge. I just couldn't run a humwee over it. Please, Remcen rework the bridge you would really do me a favour.

Finally I just decided to do a Demo Mission for your Mod. I will send it to you as soon as it's finished.

srry if this is a noob question but i havent installed them yet. Are these units on the West, East, or Res side?

As these are Saddam Era army units then you will find them on the East side

Hey Remcen, very good work indeed! I firstly expected some half-grown work like often done by the Lost Brothers Studios but this is excellent! I like the units AND fell in love with the beautiful Island. Just amazing those arabian stores and the pretty highway!

The only thing I disliked was the bridge. I just couldn't run a humwee over it. Please, Remcen rework the bridge you would really do me a favour.

Finally I just decided to do a Demo Mission for your Mod. I will send it to you as soon as it's finished.

Um... what was wrong with my mod team's stuff?

I do agree with you that IM:UC is awesome. They do fantastic work, but comparing them with LoBo is like apples and oranges. We are two very very different mods. Our Iran/Iraq map and collaboration with Bucketman, IM:UC, and others on the Iranian addon pack was just a side project to fill in some missing areas. It was never meant to compete with IM:UC but rather to be used by mission makers with IM:UC addons.

LoBo's main area of focus is Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria.

I'm sorry if you hated our addons.

At any rate, we are not competitors so please don't compare our mods.

As for the bridges, try different ground texture detail settings. Bridges never work well in OFP because the ground is at different heights with them depending on what terrain detail level you choose. As mentioned earlier, even BIS bridges have serious problems with tanks, cars, and trucks, often disappearing through them as they enter the bridges. At best, the bridges and the ground leading to the bridge could maybe be tinkered with a little to compromise with different terrain detail settings, but don't expect them to ever work perfectly on every vehicle. All in all, bridges are a major pain for map makers.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Lost Brothers Mod Team Leader

Ah sorry Miles I didn't want to make your work look bad. You're right in the point that the two mods are very difficult. Let me just point out why I didn't like your mod soo much:

- There were few good missions of your mod that I liked to play (hmm maybe I should make a mission for your mod too ;-)

- You had many addons but the quality was sometimes below that of other mods

- I didn't like the theme (war between israel and the arab states). It was just a bit too realistic for me...

I hope I didn't insult you. I think I now will take a look again at your addons. The last things i saw about your mod were pretty old stuff... Maybe your mod has improved in the last time smile_o.gif

Sincerely

Flumon

No problem. Yeah we added a lot of new stuff in addon pack #2 and other releases and we're almost ready to release Addon Pack #3...But I don't want to hijack this thread. Back to IM:UC... if you are a good mission maker, I would recommend that you make some good missions for the IM:UC mod. Maybe use the LoBo/Bucket Man Iranian pack against these new IM:UC Iraqi soldiers/APC's on their new map. I made a simple mission like that and it was fairly intense. Overall their map is superb for good urban combat...just try not to send vehicles over the bridges as they could get stuck. I recommend sending in enemy units from the North of the map. Also their prison makes for some excellent prison break missions and movie cutscenes.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

This has to be the best island I have ever played in OFP - hands down - since downloading I have not stopped using it in missions - simply amazing !

Great addons, dudes!

I tell you something: I start making a new island using your's objects whistle.gif

I agree....I really wish they could combine their stuff with Chris Death's fantastic Middle East building pack.

However overall, I agree that the map is one of the best Middle East maps I've ever seen. The only bad thing about it is that its very small. Nevertheless, the layout is excellent and extremely realistic.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

with ArmA around, obviously not that much interest in the mod, lack of support from the rest of the team and a new (time-consuming) job i wondered whether an update is really worth the effort.

maybe i find some time to fix a few things and release it.

@flumon: i tried your misssion, but found it a little easy i must say. i played the MP map alone, took the role of the legion sniper and eradicated almost all opfor until i had no ammo left without being shot at even once. (maybe i made my iraqis too stupid??)

i wonder how the feel of the mission would be if all characters were human-controlled...

Well if you guys do stop development, I hope you do what OPGWC did and release all the alphas. I know alot of your guys stuff my mod and a few other mods could definitely use them. Nevertheless, from the last major release you guys did, your mod has so much potential and I really don't want to see you all disappear. Your mod's desert map, while small, is still (minus the missing mosques) the most realistic Iraq map I've yet to see in OFP. When the tools for ArmA are released, that map would kick total ass in ArmA as well as the rest of your team's addons. However even if your team stays in OFP, I still think it is worth sticking around as many OFP players don't like ARmA and prefer OFP. I personally like both although I have to admit that the more I play ArmA, the more I like it. The CQB urban combat in cities just kicks ass in ArmA.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i gave permission to DJfrogstar to use the models and textures i made so the island won't be lost for ArmA.

can't speak for the rest of the team though (rtr_commander & sgt chunder who left a few years ago.) don't think that rtr_commander is still around, haven't seen him on msn for ages.

RTR_Commander isn't around anymore? That really sucks. He was really cool. Still if you enjoy making the stuff, I recommend that you hook up with another mod team doing Iraq war stuff. My mod did that brief collaboration with you guys and Bucketman for that Iranian military pack, but unfortunatly we have so much on our plate right now that we can't devote much time to Iraqi stuff. We're working on Syrians, Jordanians, updated Israeli stuff, and of coarse our historic pack and future ArmA conversions.

But since Iraq stuff is very popular, I am sure there is another mod team that would be interested in assisting. If not and you don't mind working on military stuff for other Arab armies you are always welcome to join the LoBo mod. We go at a nice slow pace with no pressure or anything. The hardest part is just making sure that the various addon makers are coordinating their work and settling disagreements on models and textures.

smile_o.gif

Anyhoo..... even so, I recommend maybe sending out a recruiting message on ofp.info or taking up the new talent thats appearing in ArmA once the tools come out and recruiting to convert stuff to that game.

Whatever you do I hope everything works out for you.

Max Res (Maximum Respect) as Rizla Ranger used to say.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>