Sign in to follow this  
jphilapy

custom faces / not able to join

Folks with custom faces are not able to join my ArmA dedicated server. What do I have to do in order to allow them to join?

Thanks,

Jeff

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

Performance Tuning Options

Quote[/b] ]MaxCustomFileSize=<size_in_bytes>;

Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

howdy,

I added that to my arma.cfg file. When I run the server, users with custom faces are still not able to join.

Jeff

Are you sure, that you wrote enough bytes at <size_in_bytes>? If so, then dunno thumbs-up.gif

I put the following line in and still get the error message: MaxCustomFilesize=1600000000;

15:40:18 Player SOMEBODY_JOINING kicked off - invalid custom file 'H:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\Tmp5187\players\SOMEBODY_JOINING\face.jpg'.

19:20:05 Player SOMEBODY_JOINING kicked off - invalid custom file 'H:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\Tmp5888\players\SOMEBODY_JOINING\sound\allesterben.ogg'.

And yes H is my harddrive.

Jeff

invalid custom file

Maybe that's not a problem with MaxCustomFileSize setting or server side problem, but I can't say what's wrong exactly. Maybe those files are totally messed up someway. I suggest to try any standard face from game as custom face, if that will work, than this custom face and sound are "wrong". I have no more ideas about that...

I get just plain white textures when I run a server and people join. Does anyone know if that is related to file size limits or a seperate problem?

Messiah2 is right. It's not the MaxCustomFileSize.

If you are using a customfile larger than MaxCustomFileSize, the message will be something like this: "to big customfile 98.000 > 64.000"

I get just plain white textures when I run a server and people join.  Does anyone know if that is related to file size limits or a seperate problem?

I have the same problem and would be interested if someone knows the solution. I tried compressing to a smaller file size... no joy...anyone ??

Some servers have custom files disabled completely, so simply shrinking them isn't always an option. What I find so bad about it is, that servers disable the custom files usually to prevent people from using custom sounds, not faces - only there's no way to allow faces but not sounds.

When BIS introduced their custom file limit in OFP this was a point that many players criticized, unfortunately we still have to wait for them to allow for separate limits for sounds and faces.

what file format are u using for your xml's?

i use a jpg and while it doesn't show under the players screen (P) it does show on vehicles and on my arm

i am experimenting with paa files at the moment, alpha channels and what not for transparent background that show the camo etc etc, but i believe that these also show in game but not on the player screen.

as for people not joining are u running verify signatures, and would that kick for an invalid file? i'm just guessing, maybe an invlaid format of image file?

does your xml link work in IE, thats always a usefull check

hi,

anyone got a clue on the tmp error with the custom face ?

one server is accepting the face, the other doesn´t. both servers run the same config.

Are you sure, that you wrote enough bytes at <size_in_bytes>? If so, then dunno thumbs-up.gif

I put the following line in and still get the error message: MaxCustomFilesize=1600000000;

15:40:18 Player SOMEBODY_JOINING kicked off - invalid custom file 'H:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\Tmp5187\players\SOMEBODY_JOINING\face.jpg'.

19:20:05 Player SOMEBODY_JOINING kicked off - invalid custom file 'H:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\Tmp5888\players\SOMEBODY_JOINING\sound\allesterben.ogg'.

And yes H is my harddrive.

Jeff

I have the same question

Everyone using 1.05 version and deli? Will this work in any deliserver, because I have same problem?

Nothing really got answered here, so I guess I'll bump and ask...

When I join my friend's listen server, my custom face is pure white. What can we do to fix this, besides giving him the face file or something.

maybe its client side ,i cant even chose a custom face since 1.05

went back to 1.02 and now ok.

When I join my friend's listen server, my custom face is pure white. What can we do to fix this, besides giving him the face file or something.

Still stands.

Regarding invalid custom file ..\face.jpg

I too have this problem and i'm a bit disappointed to not see a explanation or solution. I've searched the forums, wiki, google, and the best thing that I can find is this post.

I run a dedicated server (1.08) and people who can't connect on my server can connect on others.

Is this is recognized bug or are we missing something here?

Ok, maybe I have found a solution for this problem.

As I am not 100% sure if this is the solution and I also may be totally wrong here I think that I should share my experience with this problem anyway due to the possibility that it COULD be the solution:

When we had 3 dedicated servers running, we encountered that problem on only one of our servers and we could not figure out what caused it.

We tried nearly everything but nothing helped.

People with custom faces and custom sounds trying to join this server always got that error message saying:

.. invalid custom file ...

and were kicked off the server.

Since we did not find any solution for this problem, we thought we would have to live with it..

So quite a time ago I also encountered another problem with this server, which I first did not think of beeing connected with the "invalid custom file" - problem, that was that our main administrator did a mistake with assigning the port number to this server.

What he did and wanted was something like giving away the port number 2304,

but in fact he did a mistake and the server was running on 2316. So our server re - routed all players who tried to join from port 2304 to 2316

( i could see that by taking a look at the netlog file ).

But since quite everything went well with the server (exept that "invalid custom file" - problem) I didn't want to bother our main admin with this minor problem.

So how is that connected to the "invalid custom file" - problem?

When a player with a custom file joins the dedicated server, the custom file will be saved to a folder that is named like:

Tmp2310 (<- this is an example name) or

Tmp2304 (<- this is an example name)

Where the number following after "Tmp" is the port where your server is running on.

So the server gets a problem with storing the custom files in the folder somehow when the port is being re - routed, resulting in the "invalid custom file" - problem.

I can't tell much more about this due to the fact I don't know much about the mistake that was done with assigning the ports to the server and how our server admin solved the port assigning prob.

But what I can tell is:

After our main admin had the server port assigned properly so that the port number showing up in the netlog file is the same number as the one he wants to assign,

that "invalid custom file" - problem is gone.

Also I can see that now the Tmp - folders on the server are being created with the correct portnumber as name.

So if you have that "invalid custom file" - problem, check the netlog of your dedicated server and see on what port it is running

(tip: search for the string " Pe(1):srv( " without the quotation marks inside the netlog file)

and see if it differs from the port you or your server admin "believe" the server is running on.

If it differs, assign it properly so that the port you want to assign shows up in the netlog file

and that "invalid custom file" - problem should be history, as I believe.

It would be very much appreciated if you would confirm if or if not that is the solution of the "invalid custom file" - problem.

P.S.:

sorry for my sometimes really poor english as I'm not english speaking by nature..

i had the same problem on our server...

i think was one of the two:

1. i changed the equal mod required...

2. or erased the below lines from my server.cfg:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">//Cheat detection

checkfile=0; //1=slow 0=default

onHackedData="kick (_this select 0)"; //auto ban hacked addons

onDifferentData="kick (_this select 0)"; //auto kick modified files

if you have your own server then play with these two to see if it makes any difference...

here is our configs: i have no probs with people joining with custom faces...only kicks the ones higher than 36kb:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

//Basic Settings

HostName="Revive-Reality Server =RTY=";

Password="";

PasswordAdmin="*****";

reportingIP="armedass.master.gamespy.com";

maxPlayers=10;

persistent=0;

verifySignatures=0;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

voteThreshold=0.20;

motdInterval=40;

kickduplicate=1;

equalModRequired=0;

LogFile="Logfile_Public.log";

//Von options

disableVoN=1;

vonCodecQuality=0;

//Message of the day

motd[]=

{

"Welcome to Reality Friends",

"Visit us at www.realityfriends.com",

"Teamspeak @ 78.129.142.65",

"Teamspeak pass: reality9",

"Usual rules of contact apply",

"All maps use the revive script, no respawn. Stay close to your team mates",

};

//Cheat detection

checkfile=0; //1=slow 0=default

//Missions

class Missions

{

class coop1

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=7389.000000;

Resolution_W=800;

Resolution_H=600;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

MaxMsgSend=4096;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=128;

MinBandwidth=70000000;

MaxBandwidth=100000000;

MinErrorToSend=0.0001;

MaxCustomFileSize=36000;

my personal opinion is that this feature should be changed ...

so too big custom files are just simply ignored and no kick occur just warning / info message ...

Still stands.

it happen to me. the face.jpg has to be bellow 100KB. it happened when the face was over or exactly 100KB. so i suggest you lower the details/quality of the jpg itself. that did the trick for me.

so too big custom files are just simply ignored and no kick occur just warning / info message ...

KH server has custom files disabled because of the custom sounds rather than the faces (and the server now is not lagging as it used to on JIPs).

But, yes, i'd like that changed so we don't have that many ppl being kicked (we also have the mods prohibited unless they are signed - because of the hacks. Maybe when the final patch is gonna be released this will change so everyone can use whatever they want, even tho we'll probably keep on checking for original modified files).

Do you think it would be possible if using a custom face for example to switch to default/random face if the custom faces are too big? I can see the custom sounds being blocked or smth but don't know what would happen with the custom sounds.

that might be another reason..

on our server the limit is 36kb and i had to take out the

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">onHackedData="kick (_this select 0)"; //auto ban hacked addons

onDifferentData="kick (_this select 0)"; //auto kick modified files

in order to be able to join again....

so the reason for getting kicked is not only if you have a too big custom face there is another which i suspect is the above lines of code...

pufu you misunderstood i mean custom file is ignored aka not used not uploaded if it's beyond allowed size on server ...

thus You join and AUTOmatically are used default faces

no more kicking