Sign in to follow this  
DieAngel

a few addon/mod ideas i had...

I worked a bit in the game industry so i don't think these ideas are impossible to manage, but i have to admit i haven't much knowledges in the inner gears of ArmA. Comments are welcome.

-Wound stabilisation system, when you are severely wounded you need medical assistance to stabilize you (or you will die of your wounds after a little while if nobody finish you before), it would give an use to the field medics.

-Fast ammo transfer between teammates, would allow a way for regular soldiers to carry extra ammos for the machinegunner and for squad members to pass munitions quickly and easily (will also allow to squad members to carry extra ammos for weapons they don't use, like transporting a few rpg rounds for the rpg soldier of the group or m249 ammo boxes)

-In the same idea of a fast inventory system, a way for a player to "reload" the weapon of one of his teammates (karl gustav/m249) , it could eventually save time, like when two soldiers handle a karl gustav they can shoot/load quite fast.

-Give to the m249 saw the ability to load regular m16 clips when no more ammo boxes are available (the m249 usually has an alternative receiver to use them).

-I am not sure about how often you MUST really change barrels of the machineguns, but it's another cool element.

-A simple (yet not arcade ish) bladed combat system (hand held knife and rifle mounted bayonet) i can understand that it could be only of minor use but i could see a few situations it could be used.

-Weapons occasional jamming in long missions, for the jamming , are conventional assault rifles able to shoot once a soldier has been carrying it into water? the gun 'could' refuse to work until a little time, so it is dry enough?

-Launcher type weapons (rpg7/apila/karl gustav) backblast

-Ability to "bury" explosive devices like corpses in ofp, you have to admit that a satchel in the middle of a road is more than suspect, its jsut a matter of pushing down the device a bit (maybe no complete burial of the explosive device)

-claymores, with wired detonator (you would automatically drop the remote if you move further than 100 meters) or in booby trap mode ( would be able to "attach" the two ends of the tripwire between two vegetation features, like a bush and a tree) and anybody running between them trigger the claymore. you could disarm it by using the use menu on one of the tripwire ends.

--Non gameplay but important feature-- , the ability to contact an URL and read the body of the page in sytring format, its the easiest and most cross platform way i know to lod/save small amount of data, even if it is just a persistant record of the results of the 100 last games on your server. I don't know if it qualify as mod but well.

[i might edit the post if i get more ideas]

the idea of simulating those wounds as you say is flat out ridiculous.  it would be realistic, but would you want to wait for five months of recovery in a various military hospital to respawn.  realism is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but do remember afterall, it's a game

weapons jamming is one thing BIS obviously hasn't thought of. anyone with any military experience knows jams are a common occurance, both on the range, in the field, and in combat. that would be a marvelous idea...

knife fighting...riiiiiiiiight

The 249 uses the same receiver for loading 5.56mm magazines, but thats such a last resort thing because of the difference in grain and weak spring it jams alot more.

the idea of simulating those wounds as you say is flat out ridiculous. it would be realistic, but would you want to wait for five months of recovery in a various military hospital to respawn. realism is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but do remember afterall, it's a game

weapons jamming is one thing BIS obviously hasn't thought of. anyone with any military experience knows jams are a common occurance, both on the range, in the field, and in combat. that would be a marvelous idea...

knife fighting...riiiiiiiiight

-Well do not misunderstand me this wound idea is to offer a simple simulation of field medics, my idea is to have a non combat action possible that could help the squad, rather than a BF2 style medic where poof i heal you or poof i bring you back from the death.

It was more you get a bad wound that do not prevent you to fight, but that, without any first aid treatment will kill you or put you out of combat.

-For the knife/bayonet fighting, i KNOW it doesn't sound realistic at all, yet the US army has a whole field manual covering it. So in some situations it could be usefull.

How would you take out an isolated sentinel silently during the night if you are at hand to hand reach and low in ammos?

How would you take out an isolated sentinel silently during the night if you are at hand to hand reach and low in ammos?

Shoot him, then take his ammo. yay.gif

I like the medic idea. I don't believe that the medics can heal you to be a 100% anyway, and there were bleed-out scripts written for OFP, so it's definately possible. It'd also be an incentive to keep the medic alive.

Abs

EDIT: Typo.

I like the medic idea. I don't believe that the medics can heal you to be a 100% anyway, and there were bleed-out scripts written for OFP, so it's definately possible. It'd also be an incentive to keep the medic alive.

Abs

EDIT: Typo.

wich is why i was suggestiong that his role was more as a wound stabilisation rather than "healing"

Backblast wouldn't be such a bad thing, I always instinctively get out from behind the AT guys because of that, but..knowing how the AI is, I think there would be too many Backblast Area All Clear! deaths.

true, but i was seeing most of these additions in a player to player point of view.

"ALL move away from TWO backblast area"

"roger"

"FOUR, FIVE, INJURED!"

-Weapons occasional jamming in long missions, for the jamming , are conventional assault rifles able to shoot once a soldier has been carrying it into water? the gun 'could' refuse to work until a little time, so it is dry enough?

Ok for the jaming when you roll in dirt and so...

But a weapon is totally capable to fire when wet and in the water too !

If the primer and the powder of a cartridge is dry (military rounds have sealed primers) the weapon can shoot in the water so it won't jam when wet...

But the jaming idea could be really cool !

Imagine, you roll in the dirt and an enemy is coming toward you : You try to fire at him and it works but your gun don't rearm cuz there some dirt in the reciever... You have to rearm it manualy if you are still alive yay.gif

-Give to the m249 saw the ability to load regular m16 clips when no more ammo boxes are available (the m249 usually has an alternative receiver to use them).

Actually, the M249 guns in ArmA can use the STANAG M16

magazines in the game already. OK, when you "lock n' load"

one (see, I'm picking up this weird American terminology

already? wink_o.gif  ) you don't actually see the magazine fitted to

the model (you just see the normal ammo can and linked

rounds leading into the feed tray) but you do get 30 rounds

to fire.

And yes I'd like weapon jams too.

-Well do not misunderstand me this wound idea is to offer a simple simulation of field medics, my idea is to have a non combat action possible that could help the squad, rather than a BF2 style medic where poof i heal you or poof i bring you back from the death.

It was more you get a bad wound that do not prevent you to fight, but that, without any first aid treatment will kill you or put you out of combat.

There is a mod for OFP,I forget the exact name and the lead I would need to find out is currently inoperable. That said,this mod increased realism effects in damage and wound system,for instance. If you are shot and begin loosing too much blood,you will begin to have blackouts. If you are wounded and stay so for too long,you will bleed to death. A medic can BANDAGE the wound,however they cannot FULLY heal,so your not 100% new. There were alot more things but I am unable to remember many of them and the lead I would need to show this mod is currently down.

The backblast is a good idea imo,it would add a strong touch of realism and make those tank drivers think twice before turning out when the main gun is firing.

Yes it would be smart to keep the medic alive..unfortunatly some medics like to get on the frontline just to fight,whenever I played as a medic in OFP or even bf2,I stayed back and behind my squad,engaging the enemy still but not at the same range they did. A dead medic isn't really helpful.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10190

The backblast is a good idea imo,it would add a strong touch of realism and make those tank drivers think twice before turning out when the main gun is firing.

I think he means the dangerous backblast from shoulder-fired rocket and recoil-less weapons.

You won't take out a sentry if you are low on ammo. If you are low on ammo it's because you've been obviously firing off your ammo, thus, the enemy would know you are there. You would shoot him twice in the head, and if he twitched, shoot him a few more times

okay so the knife in the us equipment is just to poke at stuffs and remove something stuck in your boot?

Well i understad knives aren't really used in today's wars

okay so the knife in the us equipment is just to poke at stuffs and remove something stuck in  your boot?

Well i understad knives aren't really used in today's wars

Attaching your bayonet to your IBA makes you look cool, and you can take plenty of pogue ass "Cool Guy," pictures with them, but it would be a sad day in hell when you jump from the humvee and someone shouts, "FIX BAYONETS!"

I'd rather beat someone to death with my E-Tool anyways, you can hit them just right on the neck and either decapitate, or almost decapitate. You can apply a decent amount of pressure under the chin and "POP!" head comes off.

One time we saw this guy from Psyops who strapped a dagger to his boot, but we all made fun of him.

Quote[/b] ]For the knife/bayonet fighting, i KNOW it doesn't sound realistic at all, yet the US army has a whole field manual covering it. So in some situations it could be usefull.

The Army also has a TM on how to arrange your Barracks funiture. So what?

*edit*

I think the only reason we were issued Bayonets is because the armorer had them and needed to clear out the Arms room anyways and he didn't want to take a crate of them with him while he sat on his ass and got fat at Camp Victory.

added claymore and satchel related stuffs, aswell as a possible save/load data system

Knives have many uses. The K-bar for example, became a good digging tool when a shovel was not around in Vietnam. It also served as a cutting tool for wood. At least that's what some have said. I haven't heard much about it actually being used to stab people in the middle of combat, but I'd only imagine in extreme situations.

A "bayonet thrust" feature would be good, and I'm sure will

get added sometime later by addon makers. Several Op.

Flashpoint addons had an interpretation of it. The old adage

"Nobody was ever killed by a bayonet who didn't already

have his hands up" is belied by a close reading of history.

Quote[/b] ]yep, this backblast

There are already AT systems that can be fired from confined spaces with little effect on the surrounding. The panzerfaust 3 for example uses plastic-pellets for countermass that get expelled once the weapon is fired. It can be fired from closed rooms.

They sure are. CoC had a really good set of claymores and other mines.

Coc ??

Chain of Command (CoC), mod for OFP, made artillery, mines, swimmers, command systems amongst other things.

Mapfact also made a set of mines with claymores.

Although both systems were very performance intensive due to all the ball bearings being generated.

There are already AT systems that can be fired from confined spaces with little effect on the surrounding. The panzerfaust 3 for example uses plastic-pellets for countermass that get expelled once the weapon is fired. It can be fired from closed rooms.

Yes, that's true - but so what? There are also many in

service (now and in the past) that do have a backblast.

Both should be represented.