Sign in to follow this  
peardog

Dedicated Server Licensing?

Hi Folks.. What are the licensing requirements for running a dedicated server? If I had a SINGLE downloaded GERMAN release with ONE code... can I run that as a dedicated server and still play with that code?

Thanks..

Peardog

On one PC: probably yes. On two PCs: No.

But even with original German ArmA CD/DVD (so no StarForce) you can't start the arma.exe -server without DVD/CD, so you have to have two copies to run the dedicated server on a second PC.

WTF? How r we meant to run the armed assault Dedicated Server on a root server then? when there is no cd or dvd drive available.

Also I think certain ppl dont know what a "Dedicated Server" really is

Also I think certain ppl dont know what a "Dedicated Server" really is

Yep, definitely, I'm sure about that, too. biggrin_o.gif

How r we meant to run the armed assault Dedicated Server on a root server then? when there is no cd or dvd drive available.

How about placing a cd or dvd drive?

How about waiting for a few more days maybe weeks until BIS releases proper standalone dedicated server software?

When the dedicated server exe is released you use that on the server along with the game files and won't need a serial or installation for the server, you just copy them over.

Placebo will the Linux version released this year? We cant all just move to windows servers.

i think its safe to say that there WILL be a LINUX and WINDOWS server executable.

WHEN that will be released? my best guess is together with the 505 release.

till then.... practise!

Placebo will the Linux version released this year? We cant all just move to windows servers.

Probably works with wine emulation anyway, someone tried it yet?

German download version you can host on a box with no CD/DVD drive requirement or graphic card, you can use the same license as the one you play at home.

Personlly I hate Lynux server's so mutch I think that it should be banned and anyone caught hosting them should be burned alive.

crazy_o.gif

German download version you can host on a box with no CD/DVD drive requirement or graphic card, you can use the same license as the one you play at home.

You know that for a fact or you just guessing?

Edit - NM, that is the downloaded version. Duh! need to read a little better next time.

It would be good to know something about this. We have a windows based dedicated ofp server, we would like to have arma ports too, so if there won't be any linux server application in the near future, linux would be replaced by windows on our server.

I have zero information on the when, all I know is windows version is being worked on and beta tested and will be released when ready and Linux version at some point will also be made, no idea how long either will take before being released.

I have zero information on the when, all I know is windows version is being worked on and beta tested and will be released when ready and Linux version at some point will also be made, no idea how long either will take before being released.

Enought for me.

Take your time wink_o.gif

Probably works with wine emulation anyway, someone tried it yet?

*Shudder* Come on man... I don't want to run in an emulation. Wine isn't the answer for Linux... no way no how. heh

Linux is just a better platform for larger servers... windows never could handle the loads of gaming servers like Linux.

Linux vs Windows is simply a matter of preference.

I've used both, but now that I've learned the do's n don'ts of windows, i prefer it.

All Windows server programs freshly installed, have numerous processes auto installed..that will never be needed if your setting it up to run game servers. I've droped mine from 56 to 15 processes then addd games. I prefer to use windows remote desktop to control them... it just makes life much easier than all the extra tools needed to make linux servers work. Copy/Paste from my desktop to a server desktop..is by far, the easiest, or to just surf the web and directly dnld to the server via remote desktop.

Note: Most hosting providers with windows are only licensed to handle 2 Remote desktop sessions at 1 time, hence REALVNC, that allows more, but I do not even use it..since it can and will cause issues.

Sorry to be off topic!

Linux vs Windows is simply a matter of preference.

I've used both, but now that I've learned the do's n don'ts of windows, i prefer it.

All Windows server programs freshly installed, have numerous processes auto installed..that will never be needed if your setting it up to run game servers. I've droped mine from 56 to 15 processes then addd games. I prefer to use windows remote desktop to control them... it just makes life much easier than all the extra tools needed to make linux servers work. Copy/Paste from my desktop to a server desktop..is by far, the easiest, or to just surf the web and directly dnld to the server via remote desktop.

Note: Most hosting providers with windows are only licensed to handle 2 Remote desktop sessions at 1 time, hence REALVNC, that allows more, but I do not even use it..since it can and will cause issues.

The matter of "preference" comes in the interfacing of the server.

Linux is without a doubt the absolute best server platform for gaming servers. Hands down, bar-none, when speaking from a performance and flexibility standpoint. Linux does not have the overhead and allows much more flexibility when it comes to interacting with programs. Some people just don't know (or uncomfortable with) Linux and therefore steer clear of it.

Linux is a thumbs up for performance and flexibility, but a lacks an easy to use built in interface (but there are options).

Windows, anyone can learn. In fact, there really isnt much learning involved considering Windows 2000/2003 are very similiar to Windows XP (your home/desktop computer)... as far as running a game server app. Windows Remote Desktop is very nice... but the Windows overhead with its innate GUI does come at a cost. A cost to server performance. Sure you can reduce the overhead by cutting processes but it still has to runs the GUI no matter what.

Windows is a thumbs up for ease of use and interfacing... but thumbs way down for performance and flexibilty.

As far as linux and interfacing with it... a solution to allow remote administration on Linux without needing shell access or knowing linux commands... is to use Webmin or CPanel. Webmin is the free solution. Cpanel would be what a hosting provider uses. There are others but those are the 2 most common. They aren't GUI's and have no overhead cost unless they are actively being used. They can also allow other Game Server Admins a certain level of access such as a simple server restart without giving them the keys to the whole system. (i.e. you aren't around and OFP needs restarted... you can direct them to a webpage that has a handy restart button that they login to and restart the server)... and thats just an example... the possiblities are virtually endless of what can be done on linux.

Sorry, I know this may seem a little diatribish... but I have done hosting for about 11 years now and I just wanted to put it out there about the differences... shortcomings and benefits. Maybe the wrong thread and I apologize.

Quote[/b] ]WTF? How r we meant to run the armed assault Dedicated Server on a root server then? when there is no cd or dvd drive available.

Yeah, like mentioned above you can run the german download version on your server.