Sign in to follow this  
Novusordo

How do I change the sounds?

You dont really need some large reverbing echo in arma, there are cities yes, but the are a bit too small in arma and most ppl would never hear the difference anyway.

The simplest thing is just to have the reverb baked in into the sound from the getgo and then edit the filtering for the longdistance sounds.

BTW are you using generic samples or "real" Ar-15/ak47/etc samples?each guns sounds a little different.

I've been trying to find free samples but they're hard to get to, and I cant afford to buy EFX's cd's for example...

Why do people bag ArmA sounds so much? the only sound effect which I really hate is the M16 the rest are quite good. Then again i'm using an X-Fi and with the crystalizer, bass boost and the equalizer off it does sound very flat and bland. With it on they are good enough for me to not have to bother with the FDF sounds (if they are released). The most important thing is to fix the sound ENGINE which controls HOW things sound, everything in the distance is too clear and loud you just can't tell range. Small objects muffle sounds too much and large ones such as buildings don't muffle them enough. Should also be a very slight pitch randomization on every shot so it doesn't sound so 'repeated' and finally environment effects need to be MUCH stronger

None of this changes any of the sound files. Though ideally i'd like to see 2 or 3 seperate sound files with effects applied to each individual one and then formed to play 1 sound. So you can control the high, medium and low frequencies much better. Applying effects to the entire single sound doesn't work nearly as well

i would tweak the pitch and the distane if i knew how. amyone know?

and the sound is really bad. The only half decent sounding gun in the western arsenal is the 7.62 MG.

The config.bin looks like the place to do it but how are we supposed to ifgure out what all the codings represents?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class B_556x45_Ball: BulletBase

{

hit = 8;

indirectHit = 0;

indirectHitRange = 0;

visibleFire = 18;

audibleFire = 18;

visibleFireTime = 3;

cost = 1;

tracerColor[] = {0.800000,0.100000,0.100000,0.040000};

tracerColorR[] = {0.800000,0.100000,0.100000,0.040000};

};

Will Bohemian release any information or tools that will tell us?

Good job Novus!

Keep it up. Your sounds are way better than the original ones.

The only thing I would not change is the handgrenade. It sounds quite good originally.

thanks m8. but surely my replacment is better aint it? It's actually Xancermans from ROOST. He gave me permission to use it.

The soundpack is ready for release but how do I distribute it? Do I have to upload the whole weapons.pbo or can I somehow package it for just the sounds I changed?

Yoy can find thousand's of shooting videos by googling!Eg:AK47 shooting video,military video,etc wink_o.gif

The soundpack is ready for release but how do I distribute it? Do I have to upload the whole weapons.pbo or can I somehow package it for just the sounds I changed?

PM´ed ya smile_o.gif

I experienced something strange. The sounds in ArmA are changed by the engine. I put a range recorded sound of a M24 firing into the weapons.pbo and the sound has more bass than it has in the original file. Same for TOW and so on. EAX on, HW Acceleration off.

All I need to know is how to create a AddOn with changed config.bin (how to re-binarize it in ArmA?) and the sound replacements without the 238 MB stuff I don't need.

Tried creating the weapons.pbo for a mod folder, but it does not override the original file.

I experienced something strange. The sounds in ArmA are changed by the engine. I put a range recorded sound of a M24 firing into the weapons.pbo and the sound has more bass than it has in the original file. Same for TOW and so on. EAX on, HW Acceleration off.

How exactly did you guys do it? Have tried myself but ingame the old sounds came up even though i´ve replaced ´em confused_o.gif

Would be nice to have a little tutorial for further sound mods.

EDIT: That firefight was UNREAL! OMG I diden't know hollywood had a grasp on reality like that.

Hollywood dont have that grasp on reality. The gun sounds in Heat are afaik one of a kind in movies. I've had that DVD since it was released back in the 90's and I still regularly watch that shootout. I've never seen or heard anything close to that before or after. I cant believe why producers nowadays dont insist on that kind of realism. Anyways... the sounds in Heat should be a good reference for anyone making sound mods. Keep up the good work, I've listened to what you guys have posted here and it sounds great!

EDIT: That firefight was UNREAL! OMG I diden't know hollywood had a grasp on reality like that.

Hollywood dont have that grasp on reality. The gun sounds in Heat are afaik one of a kind in movies. I've had that DVD since it was released back in the 90's and I still regularly watch that shootout. I've never seen or heard anything close to that before or after. I cant believe why producers nowadays dont insist on that kind of realism. Anyways... the sounds in Heat should be a good reference for anyone making sound mods. Keep up the good work, I've listened to what you guys have posted here and it sounds great!

All michael mann's films has crisp audio in firefights, but the amount of shooting might differ.

WSSFileConverter is what you need for opening and repacking .WSS files.

Heres a link to it from the LIb 44 site.

I also get terribly distorted sounds with that program, not going to be usable unless I can figure I can figure out how to solve it. I tried to use the those other wss decoder DOS programs but I don't know how to do anything in DOS and it will take forever that way.

I'm using a Creative X-Fi, maybe thats why they wont convert correctly?

Edit: found a wss converter that works from the Avon Lady site.

WSSFileConverter is what you need for opening and repacking .WSS files.

Why BIS uses such a minor format 'wss'. It seems file size of wss is quite similar to a wav file of a same sound. Why not using wav format? huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]Why BIS uses such a minor format 'wss'. It seems file size of wss is quite similar to a wav file of a same sound. Why not using wav format?

Is this supposed to be a serious question? crazy_o.gif

Is this supposed to be a serious question?  crazy_o.gif

It's just a simple question indeed. tounge2.gif

Some addons use not 'wss' but 'wav' files. And I guess it's smart to use 'wav' files for sounds because 'wss' seems not have advantages over 'wav' (even not compressed at all). smile_o.gif

Novusoro said:

Quote[/b] ]The config.bin looks like the place to do it but how are we supposed to ifgure out what all the codings represents?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Code Sample

class B_556x45_Ball: BulletBase

{

hit = 8;

indirectHit = 0;

indirectHitRange = 0;

visibleFire = 18;

audibleFire = 18;

visibleFireTime = 3;

cost = 1;

tracerColor[] = {0.800000,0.100000,0.100000,0.040000};

tracerColorR[] = {0.800000,0.100000,0.100000,0.040000}

;

Is this meant to be serious?

Take alook at "old" OFP tutorials about configs,...in this case nothing really changed