Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

Armed Assault is -AMAZING-

A real soldier can prone, scope and fire in less than a second if the situation requires it... adrenaline does it job.

Yeahh... Dream on boy and let us know when you waked up!

Quote[/b] ]

...and even the horn sucks cause you cant make melodys ( yeah, im serious )

If you really are then I think it speaks alot about your preferenses and what you values in a sim/game rofl.gif

/KC

Quote[/b] ]A real soldier can prone, scope and fire in less than a second if the situation requires it... adrenaline does it job.

I was a real paratrooper for damned near a decade and I never achieved anything near that level of weapons proficiency. In fact, in distance engagements over 50 meters it could take me as much as three seconds to be confident of my shot. CQB using red dot optics are the only situations I can think of where I might have aquired a target, identified the target, and squeezed the trigger in anything approaching a single second.

Hell, starting in the prone supported with my eye to the sight it could still take 3 seconds for me to acquire a target at 300 meters, get a good sight picture, and squeeze off a round.

Quote[/b] ]A real soldier can prone, scope and fire in less than a second if the situation requires it... adrenaline does it job.

I was a real paratrooper for damned near a decade and I never achieved anything near that level of weapons proficiency. In fact, in distance engagements over 50 meters it could take me as much as three seconds to be confident of my shot. CQB using red dot optics are the only situations I can think of where I might have aquired a target, identified the target, and squeezed the trigger in anything approaching a single second.

Hell, starting in the prone supported with my eye to the sight it could still take 3 seconds for me to acquire a target at 300 meters, get a good sight picture, and squeeze off a round.

Notice that i dont say aywhere that there needs to be confidence in that shot.

What im saying is that in ARMA you CANT EVEN TRY THAT SHOT, Cause you HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE DUMMY TO MAKE ALL THE ANIMATION if you want to have a semi-half decent shot

Response is far away from what a soldier should be.

and im not a  soldier but there are obvious things.

For godness sake, the dummy cant even die if he hasnt finish the fecking animation, if you dont believe me just try... go and prone in front of an enemy ai that shots you in the middle of it.

Untill your dummy hasnt reached the floor, proned completely and scoped you wont die...

So the point is slowness in its actions responding to the players commands.

In a game i decide where and when i shoot, but not in arma cause  im totally dependant on the dummy to even have a random shot.

Thats not realistic, thats clunky and makes gameplay suck.

CQB sucks? Not IMO. I just got through a mockup editor mission where an amphibious force (about 60 units) lands on the south beaches of S. Saharani and my smaller force contacts and withdrawls in to the city. Well, I need practice falling back cause there were only 5 of us left out of 25 (after 4 tries where I died). The city fighting was pretty intense when the remainder of the enemy got in the streets. Had no problem leaning around corners to sweep and send my AI guys across. Had little trouble lureing enemy AI into my waiting troops to ambush. Had a BIG problem with wide flanking units. Got cleaned up by two enemies in our rear. Made them route and regroup. It was fun.

I agree it's a different feel than OFP, but it also has more than OFP ever did. And don't forget to try and hold your breath on those quick shots. It really helps. smile_o.gif

And don't forget to try and hold your breath on those quick shots. It really helps. smile_o.gif

are you just joking, or is there a 'hold breath' toggle or button?

I enjoyed the breathing that affected aim and sound, but I dont think I want a button to do what simply being still for a second would achieve as in OFP. confused_o.gif

Something I will get used to, I suppose. pistols.gifwow_o.gif

so far i could only say that i am not happy with the aircraft control, there isnt a single weighty feeling on them and since the plane and chopper are using same set of control it makes it even harder to control, you are happy on the chopper and you mess up the fixwings, so i gave up on keyborad and go for the joystick, which is better but with the lost of weighty feeling it turns out the control is a bit too senstive(bad english i know),

the game could run on a low spec pc quite good like the good old OFP as long as you keep 800x600, by then your VD could go up to 3000 and you could run the game quite smooth

there is some issus i found on the game:

unlike OFP, object and units seems to be disappear some 300 meters away from you untill you zoom in on your sight, which isnt good if you are at combat on such distence cause you wont find or notice them and they shot you to death(in ofp you could sight units and movement at 600 meters and start suppress them with MG, not accrate at all but works)

i hope this is only on a low spec pc and if not this will damage gameplay

basic control of soldier need to be tweak inorder to fit your play style, sometimes there also seems to be a bit delay when you try to aim, notthing to do with the 3d sights i have to say but more like lag i think. Oh yeah and i cant use left shift +A/D to be my leading key (i find that even with the good old OFP setting i could still play it comfortable, good news), would be good if BI add some more key combination

Tracer still laser like but there seems to be a work around

AI are smarter in some way but dumb on others

and there are many small issus that others have talked so i am not say it again

as always CTF isnt a big goal for the game, yes you can play it and still have some fun on it, but no it isnt as good as other shooters on sale todate

after all it is still OFP (which is good), not totally mind blowing but the beauty and for the sake of the good old OFP feeling, i am not disapointing and happy that this game is finally here with us

oh and to ppl at BI, take a rest cause after that we will start going after you for the P.A.T.C.H.E.S(we know what you get in your armory) wink_o.gif

Even with that little twitchy breathing, you can hit things at amazing range in ArmA, as in OFP.  In reality, past 300m, unless you're prone supported and taking accurate shots, effective fire will be area-effect fire from a group of soldiers.  Also, I'm not sure if its just me, but is the bullet drop and wind effect a little light?

(looked at this, realised it wasn't clear when I was refering to real life or ArmA. fixed)

Even with that little twitchy breathing, you can hit things at amazing range in ArmA, as in OFP.  Past 300m, unless you're prone supported and taking accurate shots, effective fire will be area-effect fire from a group of soldiers.  Also, I'm not sure if its just me, but is the bullet drop and wind effect a little light?

bullet drop is still there, no wind effect

There's a lot of interesting reading in this forum, thanks for the contributions from those of you who actually have purchased the game and have hands-on experience with it.

I am pretty sure Armed Assault will mature and improve, just as OFP 1985 did. I am not worried about that at all. As for all the bugs and various issues, I am not going to comment on it simply because I do not have the game yet, so I would have no idea what I was talking about.

As for system requirements, I need another gig of RAM anyway, and I can always O/C the 3.0Ghz CPU a bit. The 7800GT graphics cards should be good enough, really.

I love the fact that there is a team of developers to create games (simulations) such as OFP 1985 and Armed Assault. Treasure them, because they are few and far between.

Look at how many realistic car sims there are left. Count them on one hand if you can even find one anymore. The rest is all about completely unrealistic arcade fun. Same thing with most "flight sims" and war games. I loved the slower pace in OFP 1985, I could spend a whole night with a mission in complete immersion if it was done well. That I am looking forward to experience again, with Armed Assault.

Thanks again for your contributions, it is nice to see something other than pre-doom posts smile_o.gif

There are many realistic car sims out there. There's LFS,RBR,GTR2,Race:WTCC,GTL,GTR,rfactor. There isn't a shortage of flight sims either. The games just aren't as advertised as much as games like NFS or Ace combat.

There are many realistic car sims out there. There's LFS,RBR,GTR2,Race:WTCC,GTL,GTR,rfactor. There isn't a shortage of flight sims either. The games just aren't as advertised as much as games like NFS or Ace combat.

RBR is old,

GTR2,Race:WTCC,GTL,GTR, are all by the same developer

rfactor is no simulation.

So there is a shortage. And there are not that many flight sims around either.

Anyone remember Janes?huh.gif Janes Longbow 2 was the most amazing heli sim.  Prolly the only worthwhile prop sim is Il Sturhm II by Oleg.  We do NOT have anywhere near the sim market we used to. The devs themselves are to thank for that. Imho.

Sad really. I loved a good flight sim.  CFS 1 for example, with force feedback online was the most amazing time.  We need a good mech sim now. M$ is apparently asleep at the freaking wheel. The Bolshoviks!

I have gamed for about 10 years, and it has never looked so bleak in the PC gaming market as it is right now.  The only 2 really worthwhile games to look at, are AA, and the already delayed Crysis.  Everything else looks like pure crap in comparison.  UT 2007 might be good for some mp wackoff sessions.  But I see little else for the PC gamer to get excited about.

I might add, if ya see us N Americans getting pizzed off cause we don`t have AA yet? Lookm at the market here for games. There is nothing. And when you are this hardup, you`ll be just as miffed as we are, with as little patience.

Yes m8, there are some realistic simulators that are specialized and very limited in what you can do (you have to follow the track or cirquit, you have no freedom where to go & etc.)

Arma contains everything in one. It's getting closer in flight models, card models, shooting model, whatever else models and you still have freedom to go anywhere and mod everything.

No other game on this planet offers the same on that piece of junk you have at home. wink_o.gif Other games can barely handle one type on same hardware while Arma has to handle all and people are still complaining about reality.

Yes, programmers could handle to code more realistic algorithms how describing more accurately, how things behave in reality, but then you would have to only dream about that hardware, that would run it smoothly and in required quality.

Thnx and big respect to all arma programers. They did very good job and am sure that will do even better in the future, as long as the community will support them.

The games are limited in what you can do because that's how racing is, people wouldn't be to happy if you dicided to leave the track and drive wherever you wanted in real life. ArmA has a lot but in many areas it needs allot of work, such as air,sea, and ground vehicle combat. In those areas it isn't anymore advanced than Joint Operations, which came out in 04.

If you want more options when it comes to sims, then pick up a console. Forza and GT are really moving forward after being limited by the weak hardware from the last generation consoles. Or try out GR or BiA, they might not be 100%

realistic, but neither is ArmA at the moment.

Also rfactor was realistic enough for an F1 driver to train with.

Joint Ops? That game is so crap, its name shouldn`t even be allowed to be uttered in the same company as either Flashpoints or AAs.  Nova hasn`t made a good game since Delta Force 2.

FP and AA are sims.  Nova games AFTER DF 2 ARE kiddie combat quakers.  

Stop bashing other games. You won't like people saying the same for ARMA would you? And joint ops may be crap, but more people play it online than OFP or ARMA.

I fully agree with the topic starter. I've been an alltime OFP fan, and many will have, like me, pondered for the past years if something like "OFP2" will ever be released.

After this 'small' waiting period since OFP came out I now can say yes, the more I play, the more I think OFP has a more than worthy successor now. It's called ArmA.

I just love the game, and it fully meets my expectations ( after having patched my German version to 1.01 however lol ). Sure there's still some glitches and room for improvements here or there, but to stay on topic .. Armed Assault is an amazing game. ^.^