Sign in to follow this  
Hillslam

Tanks in ArmA

One of my peeves in OFP was the rubbery feel to the armored vehicles: a shell impact would send them bouncing across the ground, or even into the air.

I remember the developers saying it was due to a limitation in the physics engine, and it was understandable they couldn't address it in the engine at the time, but it really was silly to see a 100ton tank bounce like a balloon when hit with a sabot round.

Is this behavior still around in AA?

When that guy dropped out of the tree, Tarzan style, that trailer lost all credibility. Same with the flying truck roadblock.

EDIT #1 - Hahahah, shitty army rolls ahoy!

EDIT #2 - Check it out, a Zodiac that steers itself!

EDIT #3 - When I'm surprised from behind, I drop into a crouch, and rotate, slowly, slowly towards my enemy.

EDIT #4 - Ridiculous amount of enemies? Check. Jeep with mounted MG? Check. Invincibility? Check.

What a steaming load of tofu. I love paying games out - thanks for putting that up. biggrin_o.gif

I think that everyone who complains avout trivial things in arma should be replied to with a link to that video.

HAAAHAHHA!!  biggrin_o.gif

You gotta love that part where he misses the enemy twice from point-black range, from behind, with a shotgun, and what's more, the enemy does a little duck dance before reacting   rofl.gif

/EDIT: Surely there's no need for a thread dedicated solely to this matter... huh.gif

That video reminds me of 95% of the shooter games one can find in the classic arcade center...

Well still havent seen one video of the MG on top of the tank swiveling independent of the turret

Well still havent seen one video of the MG on top of the tank swiveling independent of the turret

x2

banghead.gif

Yes there has been a video displaying independant MG in the top of a tank.

It was in the finnish 500mb video with the armed assault press edition (relatively old build) and they played multiplayer and manned a tank with one as a driver, one as a gunner and one as a commander.

The one with the crap players, and the bloke was manning the commander MG in front of about 20 infantry down the street in front of him. Needless to say he karked it.

I hear that ArmA supports ricochets. I'd like to know whether not only rifle bullets but also tank shells are bounced back against heavy front armors of tanks or not. wink_o.gif

Does anybody see SABOTs of T72 rebounded from M1 Abrams and Abrmas received no damage? tounge2.gif

It was in the finnish 500mb video with the armed assault press edition (relatively old build) and they played multiplayer and manned a tank with one as a driver, one as a gunner and one as a commander.

ouch! 500 MB I miss that one... please can be edited for make it short just that part or a good gamer soul can prepare one video showing the T72 machine gun in action?

thumbs-up.gif

500 Megs!! Nice. And that is located where?

500 Megs!! Nice. And that is located where?

Its called

gametv_armed_assault_2006-09-17.wmv

and its  510880kb big

I suggest you google it, its unfindable in the old topics as they are way too big wink_o.gif

EDIT: You can see the tank gunner turned out part @ 27minutes

Well, great. Now that they eliminated the bounce they can get to work on the voices crazy_o.gif

Yeah it sounds like on of those robot voice menus that all of the big companies have manning their phones these days:

TARGET that T-72 at TWO SIX. fire

TARGET that bmp TWO at TWO FOUR. fire

Well, great. Now that they eliminated the bounce they can get to work on the voices crazy_o.gif

I dont know if they bounce or not but they dont seem to behave too diferent from OPF from what i've seen of forestal's BMP video or the tank fight video, very fast turret rotation and turning speed, dont behave much like tracked armor (rollers).

I really wanted increased simulation in that area

Now that ArmA is out, I was wondering if one could tell what the definitive TO&E is in terms of ground vehicles?

I gather so far (even if variant definitions aren't perfect):

"East": BRDM-2 (transport and AT variants)

T-72

Ural truck

BMP-2

UAZ

Shilka

"West": M1 Abrams

M2 Bradley

M113 (MG infantry transport and Vulcan-armed AA variants)

Truck

HMMVV

I'm sure this isn't complete... could anybody indicate what's missing or present a complete TO&E? Also, what is available in terms of civilian vehicles?

Take a look at this silly video titled Waldsterben in ArmA, its of a tank driving trough a forest.

It just speeds through the forest, sometimes at speeds that look like 50mph+ knocking trees down like stalks (or nothing).

In fact it looks exactly like operation flashpoint would behave, except you couldn't drive through forests in ofp.

I hope the developers tweak things by the time 505games publish it.