Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

Well i will wait for the demo, but i seems pretty much sure that ArmA is off from my shopping list. Suppression was THE THING i was waiting and because it's not there

There is no doubt that you can make them hit the dirt and pause their return fire.  You can make them run away.  They even use cover to a point.  But do YOU just give up the second you get some incoming and hunker down??  I've had AI get down in a low spot, hang there for some time while some try to crawl out of sight to flank me.  Maybe I'm not sure what effects of suppression you're looking for, could you explain a bit more?

Scrub, I am glad to read the various effects of suppression that you have mentioned. I have started to like your posts a lot as they enumerate specific points and facts rather than just your opinion. smile_o.gif

From the videos in Iraq, when fighting on the city/town streets, the soldiers were staying close to buildings/walls when moving up and, when they were being fired upon or were sensing danger, they were going behind solid cover whenever possible, maybe standing with their backs to the walls and using corners to fire.

From the videos of ArmA that I watched, showcasing urban combat, the AIs were very often moving down the centre of the streets and going prone when fired upon as buildings were not always closeby. In this way, their reaction to suppressive fire seems different from what actually happens in urban combat. It is always possible that the ingame videos were shot at a lower AI difficulty level and at higher difficulty, this behavior becomes more realistic.

The AIs' reaction to suppressive fire in open terrain seems quite realistic, from the videos I have seen. Overall, infantry combat seems quite interesting in ArmA and I can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Hi guys, some Q's for anyone lucky enough to have ArmA running.

I'm pretty impressed by the scale of the island and scenery detail.....but.....am I correct in thinking that ArmA only has one island huh.gif

I will be a little disappointed if ArmA will be limited to a single island as it was the various islands (maps) like eden, everon etc.. in OFP that stopped the game from becoming boring.

Also....what sort of cheat protection will ArmA have huh.gif I'm sad to see OFP overcome by cheats, which has IMO turned OFP into a BF/HalfLife playground...

Hi guys, some Q's for anyone lucky enough to have ArmA running.

I'm pretty impressed by the scale of the island and scenery detail.....but.....am I correct in thinking that ArmA only has one island huh.gif

I will be a little disappointed if ArmA will be limited to a single island  as it was the various islands (maps) like eden, everon etc.. in OFP that stopped the game from becoming boring.

There are two islands - Sahrani and Rhamadi.  However, it is best to note that you could probably jigsaw Everon, Malden, Kolgujev, desert island, and Nogova while still getting about the same amount of surface area, if not more! Not to mention the amount of detail on Sahrani is mind-numbing! I wouldn't worry much about that...

- dRb

thx drbobcat, it's good to know the size of the ArmA islands would dwarf all of the OFP islands by comparison...I like to go treking with my backpack and have a smoke on top of a high mountain..if u know what I mean biggrin_o.gif

Well i will wait for the demo, but i seems pretty much sure that ArmA is off from my shopping list. Suppression was THE THING i was waiting and because it's not there

Oh come on mate, you can't exclude Arma because of that one reason. I havn't got the game either but i'm not letting any bad review deter me from buying it. I know suppressive fire is pretty cool and it's unfortunate it's not properly implimented but i'm betting there's a lot of new features that will more than make up for this.

But those other featrues don't affect to outcome of battle as simulated fear of possible death.

Example:

I could order my firesupport (let's say that it consists from one 60mm mortar, BMP-2's 30 mm cannon and 12.7mm Dshk) to fire enemy's defencive positions as rest of the guys + me starts to advance at enemy. I could expent that firepower of my firesupport press the enemy down and/or make them to shoot very unaccurately even if it doesn't cause even minor casualities to dug-in enemy. And so i and my men gain better survival rate in advance before/and in initial charge (or whatever is the english term of breaking in to enemy formation/positions).

And if i don't press enemy down with my firesupport, then my men can be pinned down by enemy fire (no heavy casualties but overwhelming firepower of the enemy) and attack gets stucked. Men are not moving forward... some of them are even moving back to rear.

Battles in OFP and so it seems that in ArmA too are far too fast and maybe with too heavy casualities. When looking at reports of battles IRL, they usualy last much longer and body count is lower.

Yes i'm reaching for heavens and i didn't expect ArmA to cover all of this, but no it doesn't cover anything of this. They are just roboticaly performing combat-techigues with "individual thinking" and tolerance of casualties before fleeing as a whole group. But not with "individual fear" so basicaly combat is all the same as in OFP. And i'm fed-up already with OFP's combat and as i already have OFP so i don't no need to buy ArmA.

PS. Hopefully you Scrub caught your answer about what i mean with suppressive fire... As my rusty english is already strecthed to the limits with this reply. sad_o.gif (rusty english is a bad thing so i needed to polish this reply for an two hours)... I'm waiting for that demo to test that am i wrong or am i right.

Col. Faulkner wrote good post in previos page about what i expected from suppressive fire and it's effect.

What a top Bollox Game.. loved ofp.. love this more.. first off the m/p coop is what floats my boat.. rare now a days you will find a game where so many ppl work as a team.. yeah you will get the odd BF2 tosser that wants to go rambo.. but now theres a few good custom maps starting to come to light. I have found that if u can find a server with good up stream and down stream you will have no lag issues.. mainly go for a server where the ping is under 100.. and I have had no load time issues.

Choppers.. gawd I found the controls alot diffrent from OFP took me a few days to get into it.. but with the help of my trusty and rusty Cyborg Evo and a few tweaks here and there I love it.. so much more real.. than just arrow keys and mouse.

Graphics.. amazing yeah I have to run the game on normal settings.. but hell it still looks like a work of art.. great detail weapons look authentic.. enviroments look great.. weather changing.. star constellation.. ocean tides.. little things like flys around bodys that have been dead for a while.. all add up.. some times its the attention to detail that makes a great game.

single player campaign.. didn't enjoy it as much as ofp.. just my opinion.. I like the whole idea in ofp that your a new recrute ect.. and really liked the pilot down behind N.M.E lines mission where by you have sweet F all and need to make it back to your base.. have to find your bearings from the north star and head south.. shame there as nothing like this in ArmA..

did enjoy the campagin map where by u select the missions you wanna play.. has replay value.. as for most of the campagin you will select 2 out of the 3 before progressing on.. so theres normaly one mission you will not be able to do unless u replay again or revert back.

so my opinion of ofp.. fucking amazing and its only gonna get bigger and better.. word to the delevlopers.. you've done a cracking job.. and in the expantion packs any chance of a envoroment mission where by your up a creak with out a paddle?

Have been playing for almost two weeks now with the English patched CZ version. I have reported bugs and "most likely bugs" as well as "need to haves".

Touched the old OPF one time to see the difference. Funny thing is, for me Arma is just so much better. The graphics and sound (i can run High & Very High) are so realistic.

This game needs patching but,  wow... I feel I'm really part of a realistic war playing Arma. It can only get better with  patching I'm convinced that Arma has such a great potential.

Just tried the game at a friends house. We had to tweak the graphics a bit to make it playable, but found a compromise at 1024*768 with normal settings. System is, 3500+, 1GB RAM, 7900.

Great gameplay and atmosphere, chopper sound is a bit loud though. I like the new animations. Controls are fine in general although flying the chopper is like "lamp on a string", IYKWIM.

Grass is awful, player can't see through it, AI can, that needs to be remedied somehow.

But I like the game a lot and can't wait to get it myself. Wonder how it'll run on C2D, 2GB RAM, 7900GT.

Regards

on the topic of suppressive fire.

i have noticed AI unload a lot more fire at a target in ArmA. i wanted to test my system so i created a take the town type OPFOR (attacking) vs BLUFOR (defending town on ramahdi map).

i put about 60 men in OPFOR (plus 5 tanks and 8 BMPs and 4 UAZ) and about 40 BLUFOR including 2 stryker and 4 HMMVs and some cannons.

it was one hell of a fight. bullets everywhere. The AI really fires a lot more and most of it is not all that accurate - which is great because it takes lots of bullets to hit a person in combat in RL

the thing about suppressive fire is that AI tend to focus on one person and saturate that area with bullets before moving onto next. The AI being fired at goes prone on the ground but AFAIK thats really the only way suppressive fire affects it.

it would be good if AI targetted groups/ areas and when under fire the AI would try and find cover and be adversly affected (loss of accuracy) until cover is found.

9.9 definate must have of 07!!!!!!!!!!!! Few bugs but that will be fixed!! Coops are the scheut. Barely touch campaign mode do to oline play.

Tanks in OFP support only two kinds of canon; SABOT and HEAT. You can change them by selecting reload sabot or reload HEAT in the action menu.

But actually there are more than two canons in the world. For example, SABOT, APHE(Armor Piercing High Explosive), HEAT(High Explosive Anti Tank), HE(High Explosive). Can we use more than two canons properly in tanks of AmrA? smile_o.gif

you can script all those other ammunitions which are available today.

just take a look at king homers M1A2 SEP for OFP wink_o.gif

what do you mean by patching will make it better huh.gif

what needs patching in it huh.gif?

A whole lot. tounge2.gif

ArmA Bug List

WOW !!!!!!

I was expecting some bugs, but not to the extent on this list.

Are people actually buying this game huh.gif some of those bugs look really bad and too obvious to have been missed in beta testing.

some of those bugs look really bad and too obvious to have been missed in beta testing.

couldn't agree more. smile_o.gif

edit: typo

just take a look at king homers M1A2 SEP for OFP  wink_o.gif

Thanks. So we have a list in the action menu like this? tounge2.gif

reload SABOT

reload HE

reload APHE

just take a look at king homers M1A2 SEP for OFP  wink_o.gif

Thanks. So we have a list in the action menu like this? tounge2.gif

reload SABOT

reload HE

reload APHE

Yea, or whatever rounds the addon maker decides to include.

You don't even need scripting, you can just make new munition types in the config. But some of the more fancy rounds that do more than just explode (or penetrate) might need scripting (like the STAFF round for the M1A2).

germans and Chex are the beta testers

game is top of the line sure there are bugs but we all know how good BIS are at fixing things in a good time table notworthy.gif

germans and Chex are the beta testers

game is top of the line sure there are bugs but we all know how good BIS are at fixing things in a good time table notworthy.gif

Will be perfect to have it by the next patch sometime in mid january along with a new comp. Hell, we waited 5Ë years, im sure we can give it another month wink_o.gif

Just make sure to bring those old guns out on the field smile_o.gif Ill try to do the same

Just got arma last weds here in the US. I got the german version...so I ran the 1.01 patch and then the english patch. I started on the single missions, then some multiplayer (CTI, CTF, co-op), and then started the campaign.

First off let me say that the default video setting were bogging down my dell xps m170 with 7800gtx...which is unusual as I can usually play the latest games totally maxed out video setting at the resolution of 1920x1200 which is the native resolution of my widescreen. So after getting the video set right all I can say isif you loved OFP you will love ArmA this game is amazing. And to all the whiners and crybabys......WTF!you begged BIS for this game and now its out and your crying....GET OVER IT

Yes there are some bugs......but you cant complain can you?? I mean take into account the sheer amazing size of the entire game. Thats alot of beta testing. I think that the bugs are being worked out on the euro releases and then when it hits the biggest market of all the USA it will sell like hotcakes and the game will be perfected. Anyone remember OFP..it came out in euro first and when it was released in the US it was already at 1.20 I believe, but it definitly was not 1.00 in the US. So why all the complaints this time around. It will be fixed.

Now onto what I love about Arma more than OFP.

The soldier animations and all the more movements he can make like leaning, rolling, three run speeds..walk, jog, run

The enemy suppressive fire

The enemy shots at helos with machine guns, in ofp only AA would shot at air targets

AI is better than OFP (AI are not gods 1 shot 1 kill like some tried to say)

The amazing graphics(let me say this to the graphic naysayers the graphics in arma beat BF2 for sure!!! I have a very high rank in BF2 and have played for over 500hrs and Arma blow it away in every single way!!wink_o.gif

There is lots more I love I just cant think of it all right now

My only complaint is the helos...im not sure if the flight model is more realistic but you have no tailrotor over 60-70 so you have to do strifing runs like a plane. You can hover and attack from a distance but you have to know where the enemy is before you get there because the helo will not just stop super fast like in OFP stopping from full speed takes time and so do turns, no just whipping it around.

Other than the helos I love everything about the game..everything!!! Everything is better than OFP the sounds, the menus, any and everything!!!

Ok well my I love ArmA inlove.gif rant is now over.

Quote[/b] ]And to all the whiners and crybabys......WTF!you begged BIS for this game and now its out and your crying....GET OVER IT

So pointing out serious bugs, flaws, campaign errors, etc is whining ? huh.gif

Some parts in Arma simply do not work at all.

Customers have every right to point on such issues as it will improve the product over time. Even Placebo mentioned that some things in the release version are/were still work-in-progress.

I agree not all pointed out bugs in a whining manner....but most did or at least from my forum readings that is how it seemed to me.

Yes there are some serious bugs...btw I found a wierd one in the campaign...I would like to make a video as its hillarious, but I dont know hot to make one.

I agree with the customers and I'm just glad to have the game here in the US so I can play with the Euro's, but I understand the magnitude of this game and excuse bugs for that reason and I know for a fact BIS will fix them. So I patiently await the upcoming patches and will glady beta test (LOL) for BIS. I really dont consider it beta cause its still way too much fun and I pain like 60 something euros for this game. But a true OFP lover will deal with the bugs and wait without complaining but offer help to the community without crying about it.

Even with the current problems I am still happy and patiently waiting and the game is still playable and very fun. Lets put it this way I love OFP and have always considered it my favorite game. But as of the last year I have played BF2 almost daily and have a very high rank in that game. I am one of those BF2 uber helo pilots and I can score first most of the time on a 64 player server. So yes I am a BF2 nut, just for the fun of the game not the realism, but now that I have ArmA BF2 is on the back burner and now ArmA is my favorite game ever...I really think it beats OFP....and have you heard the rumors of BIS adding the CWC campaign to ArmA??? This would be so sweet.

Come on folks who are complaining.

Did you really think BIS would just leave the game like it is and not work on the bugs? inlove.gif

Listen pal, it doesn't matter if they work the bugs or not. A lot of damage is done already. The question is not if they can work the bugs, but if they can work them out in a given amount of time.

This wasn't the case with OFP, as it didn't have super serious bugs that ruin the campaign, and flying.

Look at Soldener. They worked out the major bugs, after release, but the damage was done already.

Fans wait for patches, but the majority of the gaming players just give up.

So you end up with a game that at any time less than 100 people play online. A game like that is good as dead.

There are no bugs with the flight model. Just because it's not EXACTLY like our beloved OFP, and is more realistic and responsive doesn't mean it's bugged.