Sign in to follow this  
celoush

Armed Assault videos

Fun flight in a Littlebird at low-alt, high-speed in the 1.02 flight model:

Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-265556773972488507&hl=en

Hires Download: http://ofp.umbr.net/videos/dec15_littlebird_flight.wmv

Yeah, now try that in an MI-17!  biggrin_o.gif  Seriously though I felt a bit sick after watching that - I never was very good on the swings and roundabouts!  tounge2.gif

All I can say is it looked fun flying that low and that fast but it just felt a bit odd the way you could bank at 90 degrees to the ground for quite some time and not loose any altitude. Centrifugal force alone would not compensate for that. OK I don't expect FSX level of realism in an 'all round' sim like ArmA, so this at least looks enjoyable and I'm sure it will only get better.

I might just see if I can fly the Robinson Beta2 like that in FSX as this it would match the Littlebird somewhat in weight at least! …. If you don't hear from me for a while I'm probably stuck in a tree somewhere in FSX land!  biggrin_o.gif

Fun flight in a Littlebird at low-alt, high-speed in the 1.02 flight model:

Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-265556773972488507&hl=en

Hires Download: http://ofp.umbr.net/videos/dec15_littlebird_flight.wmv

Now thats what I call flying skills ! I could have done that in OFP but It will take a while until I can do it in ArmA. smile_o.gif

But whats more amazing... is how smooth the system runs with shadows enabled, good viewdistance, what not and even recording a video.

I would have around 5-7 fps in that situation. Can you list me your system specs please ? Cause thats going to be exactely the components Ill be buying. smile_o.gif

Awaiting your post ... inlove.gif

>Fun flight in a Littlebird at low-alt, high-speed in the 1.02 flight model:

Now you're just showing off! ;-) Seriously though, great flying and very nice video. I spent much of yesterday practicing on the helos but it'll be a long time before I can make it look that smooth - still seem to have a 'wobble' problem as I over-compensate between left and right bank.

If I was to nitpick at all it would be that I couldn't help feeling that IRL the rotors would have clipped some of those trees and buildings on the really low runs which slightly spoiled the immersion.

You also didn't seem to be using the TrackIR much which surprised me a little.

Quote[/b] ]I would have around 5-7 fps in that situation. Can you list me your system specs please ? Cause thats going to be exactely the components Ill be buying. smile_o.gif

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB PC2-6400 RAM, Raptor 15,000rpm HDD, and a Radeon X1950XTX. If you want to go all-out, get the high-end Nvidia 8800... it should run it much better.

Quote[/b] ]You also didn't seem to be using the TrackIR much which surprised me a little.

Well, in the context of what I was doing, there wasn't any real need for it. The TrackIR in a helo is for when you want to look at something in a direction other than the one your nose is pointed. If you're flying low and fast, you don't have time to look around, since you're concentrating on not hitting stuff that is rapidly coming up to you from the front. On the other hand, if I had been flying higher up, without the danger of slamming into trees/lightpoles/buildings/etc, I would have been scanning around a lot more.

Quote[/b] ]If I was to nitpick at all it would be that I couldn't help feeling that IRL the rotors would have clipped some of those trees and buildings on the really low runs which slightly spoiled the immersion.

It's a shame we can't record this stuff and play it back from a third-person view. I'd like to see how close some of those maneuvers were.

Hi Dslyecxi! I've watched all your TrackIR videos, and I am very impressed with the device. Thanks to your help, I'm merely steps away from dropping out of university and abandoning a life of luxury just to play Armed Assault and roam the forums all day!

But before I do, I have a few questions. I noticed in your latest video that there was a slight delay between your head movement and motion recognition in the game. TrackLag, if you will. Is this simply because the two videos are unsynchronised, or is there a noticeable lag in the game, too?

I noticed in your latest video that there was a slight delay between your head movement and motion recognition in the game.  TrackLag, if you will.

In the TrackIR software you can adjust smoothing. By increasing this the movement is more smooth but a slight delay can be seen. When set correctly the "Tracklag" is so little you cant tell by looking at a video but you can feel it when you use it. But it is never so much that it detract from situational awareness. Its simply nothing to worry about.

If you watch carefully in Dsly's latest video you will see he is moving his head slightly to the left when he is making a left bank. This is normal reflexes (instinct if you will). In those banks you can clearly see there is minimum delay on the TrackIR response. His view pan pretty much at the same time he push his stick left and right.

Jarky sent us his new video, showing the improvements of the chopper handling of the 1.02 patch

I wish people would stop showing these stupid barrel rolls and loopings. It casts a bad light on an otherwise decent flight model. wink_o.gif

Here is a video showing the situational awareness you get from using TrackIR in close quarter combat and how immersive it can be.

http://files.filefront.com//;6372973;;/

One thing that you should be able to tell from the video is that I have a much higher sensitivity setting compared to Dyslexi. I don’t have a deadzone and I turn the floating gun movement off.

I also disabled the “Z-axis†(zoom), because there are some issues with it (You turn your head and you view zooms in and the “Z-axis†doesn’t work in iron sight mode, so you can’t physically move closer to the sight).

The one other big difference is instead of using the default “X-axis†to lean, I use “Rollâ€. So, instead of moving my body and/or head left or right (X), I just tilt my head (Roll) like I was to lean out from a wall. So, basically I’m mimicking the movement I see in game but to a smaller degree. I have the “Roll†set with a deadzone, but then it’s very sensitive, so it only takes a small tilt.

Here's a funny video I just found on Youtube. It's quite possible that it was posted already by it's creator, but still.I wasn't even aware that ArmAs damage model included stuff like that. So far it always struck me as a little coarse and rudimentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygr8uL3ek2s

nice video jigsaw biggrin_o.gif i think i've seen something similar but it was nice to see it again. really just love too see Arma stuff like that in action. can't wait to mess with pilots in mp by shooting on their tail rotors rofl.gif

Nice vid rg7621 ! That made my day... Good to see some combat footage for once.... Thanks!

did anyone think of that MSG4 early E3(or TGS? cant recall)trailer?

this video just leads me to that trailer biggrin_o.gif

But before I do, I have a few questions. I noticed in your latest video that there was a slight delay between your head movement and motion recognition in the game. TrackLag, if you will. Is this simply because the two videos are unsynchronised, or is there a noticeable lag in the game, too?

This is a problem with Armed Assault, not the TrackIR's. While the latest video might be slightly out of sync (probably not, since I use a fairly reliable method to sync them up), the main issue is that ArmA has built-in limitations to how fast you can move your view. These need to be removed (via patch) for the best experience. I hope that BIS does so.

If you want to see how responsive a TrackIR typically is, look at my Aces High 2 video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-989585601896924025