Sign in to follow this  
Linker Split

high definition Tropic island

:)Hi guys out there!

Well, as you can read the name of this topic, I want to create a real detailed Tropi Island...

Ok, I'll sum up.

<span style='font-family:Times'>I saw Crysis video and I came up with this idea: Creating a new island, with interactive objects and a a real nature...

Yes, you heard right! My purpose is to create all the nature from scratch, with plants that if touched, they could move and interact with player...

I created animated grass, so why not try to add more functions and scripts to models?</span>

Well, it's not a easy work I know... probably my map will be released when ArmA will be out... but I don't care about time, cause I'm not wasting it! wink_o.gif

I started creating models, using 3DStudio Max, Maya and Oxygen... textures are taken from FarCry and BF2, cause they use lotta high quality ones!

I say again: all my work will be created from scratch, not importing any models from games... You know, I've always created all I need on my own... smile_o.gif

I took some screens since the moment I started the project:

grass1xx8.jpg

this would be the grass...

-----

palm1du6.jpg

one palm...

-----

palm1vis2nb0.jpg

the same palm...

-----

plants1lj9.jpg

a group...

-----

palm2qc7.jpg

another plant...

-----

So guys, tell me what you think about this project... give some feedback about scripting and modelling!  wink_o.gif

cheers

Linker Split

thanks for your compliments... smile_o.gif

but plz try to help me!

Can someone help me in creating scripts? crazy_o.gif

it would be way to hard and nearly impossible to make static objects react to collisions just like in far cry

you can make them react to damage or check for some object nearby them

animate them whatever

but getting them to work just like in crysis

is utopic in ofp and way too resource demanding...

besides i´d be careful and reluctant with comments..

taking textues/models from other games isnt hard...

Quote[/b] ]textures are taken from FarCry and BF2, cause they use lotta high quality ones!

I say again: all my work will be created from scratch, not importing any models from games... You know, I've always created all I need on my own... smile_o.gif

So taking models from other games is wrong but taking textures is fine?

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/linkersplitislandtwo6.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/linkersplitislandtwo3.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/Hill400_img2.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/Hill400_img5.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/map_1.jpg

All taken from different wellknown games such as Call of Duty and DF:BHD. I'd suggest stop doing this before you get sued.

hmm... Ok, maybe nothing as Crysis, but something that detects the collision between the plant and the player yes!

Maybe I will not have the movement of the single leafs, but the movement of the whole plant if touched by the soldier can be possible!

I found the function written by General Barron that improved the nearestobject command... I need to apply some changes to it! I think that I'll add sever animations to the objects, in order to simulate velocity, wind and other external phenomenons...  smile_o.gif

#EDIT

@Jdb

M8, I didn't find any free alpha textures from the internet, so I took them from other games, but I don't want to import objects from them cause it would be so easy! I need more difficulties...

wink_o.gif

Of course borrowing textures saves you time.Its alot harder work than making simple models.Sorry its not acceptable to me.You cannot do this !

I need more difficulties...

Maybe an idea to travel outside and grab some photos with your digital Camera? Thats what everybody else does as speaking of vegetation textures.

Becasue, this... isnt acceptable mate confused_o.gif

ok man, but since I don't have moneys and I don't have a digital camera and my city doesn't have tropic plants tounge2.gif... how to create textures??

I can use photoshop, but... how to create those beautiful textures?huh.gif that's the prob...

I know it's not a good way, but I don't see the solution...

So I saw that even if I would grab textures from other games, I would create models from scratch... and add them anims and lotto new work!  confused_o.gif  sad_o.gif

Do you remember Thone2000 and his beautiful map?

definitely his work is very very great, but he just import textures and models from BF2 and convert them in p3d...

I say again, nothing against him, cause I LOVE his work!

I can use photoshop, but... how to create those beautiful textures?huh.gif that's the prob...

Learn

How do you think addonmakers get their knowledge? By trying and learning, and reading other peoples tips. No games would be made anymore if everyone decided that because they can't do great textures right away when they start they should go stealing other peoples stuff.

No one starts off as a great addonmaker.

I would rather get harsh criticism about my own made addons then that I would get "really nice thumbs-up.gif" -like comments from people that don't know where the stuff is really from, or that don't respect copyright themselves.

It is ok to edit other peoples stuff if you get their permission, which alot of addonmakers will give you. Professional gamestudios rarely give you permission as they don't like giving away stuff for free.

Learn

How do you think addonmakers get their knowledge? By trying and learning, and reading other peoples tips. No games would be made anymore if everyone decided that because they can't do great textures right away when they start they should go stealing other peoples stuff.

No one starts off as a great addonmaker.

I would rather get harsh criticism about my own made addons then that I would get "really nice thumbs-up.gif" -like comments from people that don't know where the stuff is really from, or that don't respect copyright themselves.

man, I created the grass from scratch, both textures and models... If you are a master of photoshop plz tell me how to create palm's leafs cause I don't really know where to start from...

1) Plz, don't say "steal" cause when I created my Mogadishu pack, I asked permission to the DF:BHD team (someone of them already play OFP too...)

2)Do you think that who creates games only uses either photoshop or other softwares? they have the right means cause it's their job... I'm not grabbing moneys and I don't know how to create beautiful textures as they do!

Ok ])rStrangelove, but you'll not find anything interesting, cause there are no free textures... all the sites (turboSquid for example) doesn't give free textures... sad_o.gif

You don't get free textures, you make them. One of the (often used) methods is by using pictures as a basis for your texture. Pictures like on [this site]. Read some tutorials on making textures (there are plenty to be found through Google). With some practice (depending on if you're a fast learner or not), you will be able to make your very own high quality textures, like [this example].

Ok ])rStrangelove, but you'll not find anything interesting, cause there are no free textures... all the sites (turboSquid for example) doesn't give free textures...  sad_o.gif

There is a reason that textures arent free. Its alot of hard work.

My impression is that there is a bigger demand of texture artists than 3d-modellers in this community, and there is a reason for that..

You don't get free textures, you make them. One of the (often used) methods is by using pictures as a basis for your texture. Pictures like on [this site]. Read some tutorials on making textures (there are plenty to be found through Google). With some practice (depending on if you're a fast learner or not), you will be able to make your very own high quality textures, like [this example].

I like D@nte stuff, but... are you kidding?huh.gif

I need to create lotta models, tons of models (more that 200) and I would waste my time creating another tons of textures in an excellent way?huh.gif

I go to school, I got a girlfriend and I work... I can't create textures from scratch (exept some easy ones) cause I don't have any time!

So, since I'm a model&island maker, and not a texture maker, I will create models with textures taken from other games!

In MY thread I asked ppl not to tell me some compliments (even if they are appreciated), they've just said what they thought.

The purpose of this thread is to find some help in creating scripts! I got a very good knowledge about functions and scripting files, but I need more tips!

Not an nagging criticism about texturing or modelling... i can do it without any help thanks.

SO PLZ BACK TO TOPIC

I got the nearestobj.sqf file from General Barron...

I just need to edit it and create a new set of scripts...

anyone have any idea on how to create those beautiful movements? smile_o.gif

why don't you just nick some scripts to go with your nicked textures?

I want to speak with ppl who can help me, not with noobs.

If you have interesting news, so write in this topic. or leave

nice level ppl ..

try asking at ofpec about script topics

some people here are a bit strange whistle.gif

Linker Split you better respect copyright, still this doesnt mean the only option is to create things from the scratch. ppl told you some possibilities here already.

better keep your plans at a realistic level mate.

Models and textures have been taken from games and imported to OFP for years, just look at all of the CS ports and other models. Problem is that most big companies don't see this happening, and if they do they don't regulate it. So we can sit here and tell him "Oh man your stuff is bad and we don't like it better watch out!" and chances are nothing will happen.

Quote[/b] ]anyone have any idea on how to create those beautiful movements?

Assuming it's for SP, you'd:

1. Create a script that constantly monitors the player's position.

2. Generate a circle of plants around the player (The generation script must also take constant scans of the area to prevent plant/pre-placed object overlap)

3a. Create a script for each plant that monitors for the player's position, and activates if the player gets close enough. The script will transmit the player's position relative to the plant, allowing for a trigonometric calculation of which direction the plant should move in.

3b. Create a script for each plant that monitors the wind direction.

4. Add any vectors for all plants from 3a and 3b, combine them, and use a huge range of preset object animations to create a mimicry of motion. Each plant would have to be animated individually, and it would probably take hundreds of preset animations to make motion look natural.

5. Any time the player moves at all, go back to step 2.

6. Listen as your CPU turns into a puddle of molten silicon. When it melts, buy a new one, then play Crysis, which has an engine specifically designed for the simulation of jungle environments.

Edit: As an example, simply running around Tonal in the mission editor gobbles up a great deal of processing power. Creating a large mission on Tonal will severely tax the resources of pretty much any computer out there. Now, if the jungles on Tonal were composed of individual objects with impact scripts, instead of forest tiles, imagine what would happen...

Edit2: When I was making plants for OFP, all I did was search up the name of the plant I wanted, get a high-res picture, cut out some leaves in PS, and build a new texture with them. It really isn't that hard, and unless you've found a source of LODs appropriate for the OFP engine, you're going to spend a great deal of time on texturing anyway.