Sign in to follow this  
Sturmwolf

Deployable HMGs?

Hey, I always wanted the ability to carry a HMG in your second slot or in both and be able to set it up (for example the M2 from ofp),giving it maybe a predefined angle.

All the addons giving LMGs and HMGs felt very unrealistic to play, being able to shoot such a heavy weapon standing etc.

Im not speaking of light MGs like m249 M60 or so...more those really heavy things like MG3 or MG42 would have been in earlier times.

Wondering if deployment on tripod will be possible with arma, i mean by addons.

this would add loads of depth imho

(Get that machinegun deployed ASAP or theyll rip the hell outta us!wink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Greetings

i just remembered this was also possible with some ww2 mod. with multiple people only though, and very complicated (scripts needed to be inbound) and ai needed a script to set it up. I though more of an action menu entry "set up machinegun" as a global function like "get in" or so, so that ai could use it independent just having this weapon in slot.

Quote[/b] ]as far as im aware you could do that in FDFmod in ofp, or maybe it was deploy mortars with tripod

Well, that system was problematic when you tried to deploy on pitched ground. Hopefully the increased power of ArmA's scripting engine contains some new commands which could be used to deploy tripods at the correct pitch.

Quote[/b] ]needed 2 men for it though :S

Well, just as an example, an M2 plus its tripod weigh ~60 kilos. So if modders keep it realistic, you'll always need a crew to deploy crew-served weapons.

WGL has M2's and NSV's that are carried by troops in pieces and can be assembled & deployed in the field. They also have the same system for mortars.

WGL MOD has this system implemented and is very effective. There is no doubt that this system will make it's way in to ArmA, at some point in time, through a MOD.

I do hope that 'Tripod's/Bipod's' are actually usefull in game rather than just eyecandy.

It will be eyecandy.

(firing *extremely* more accurate when lying on the ground will be implemented on bipoded weapons, but you will not be possible to lay your gun onto support like it is in red orchestra (which i though will miss very hard))

Yeah true FDF had this aswell... it was pretty easy to take the Bi/tripod, but it was harder to take the machinegune as you had to make sure you have enough empty clips so the MG ammo goes in there.

I remember a mission in FDF where we had 11 guys in and had to stop a russian armoured attack and almost everyone carried an AT launcher and you needed 2 man to transport the AT-7, Spike, or TOW and the confusion with the ammo and that the tripod bearer finds the launcher bearer got us overrun several times.

Total confusion... nice idea but the magazine problem should be solved somehow.

Deployable MGs are very nicely covered in Red Orchestra, not perfect , but still best ive ever seen in any computer game. If ArmA will have something similar ill be happy.

Im not speaking of light MGs like m249 M60 or so...more those really heavy things like MG3 or MG42

Isn't the MG42 lighter then the M60? crazy_o.gif

It will be eyecandy.

(firing *extremely* more accurate when lying on the ground will be implemented on bipoded weapons, but you will not be possible to lay your gun onto support like it is in red orchestra (which i though will miss very hard))

We're not talking about deployable MGs, we're talking about Heavy Machine Guns that have tripods that need more tha one crew member to setup. Like the .50 Cal or NSV

There is a 1 kilogram difference between the mg42 (mg3) and the m60. The mg42 and mg3 are 11.5 kilograms with the bipod, and the m60 is 10.5.

The m60 and the mg3 both fire the same cartrage... and I don't really think either classify as a 'heavy' machinegun. I think both are gpmgs. I think that heavy machineguns are machineguns of such a weight or calibre that there is no option to shoot them other than on a fixed position, vehicle mount, or tripod.

nope the MG3 fires around 1200/min, which is afaik teh highest firing rate for medium machine guns up to date.

I don't talk about M134s here.

M60 is a light / medium and the MG3 is a medium MG

The Mg42 had an even higher firing rate , and- for its time -was a heavy machine gun.

I thought the MG42 fired at 1200, and the MG3 had a slower ROF?

EDIT: never mind, MG has about the same ROF as the MG42.

Still not a heavy Machine gun though.

or lets not forget, being able to deploy lighter machine guns.. for quick covering fire manouver's, and of course the applied accuracy.. ive seen nothing so far in Arma to suggest any details regarding lighter machine guns

deployable machineguns would be great.

wgl has a good system for their machineguns. but with ArmA machineguns can become more accurately simulated.

let me give a quick summary...

MG42, MG3, M240, PKM, Mag58 are all in 7,62 (expect MG42=7,92mm) caliber and thus GMPGs (general purpose machineguns) or medium machineguns.

Heavy machineguns are the .50cal (12.7 mm) like M2, Kord, NSV and what not.

MG42 is a german WWII weapon which will definitley not be used in arma. biggrin_o.gif neither the MG3 as it is german aswell and the south sahrani troops do not use it.

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Oct. 25 2006,00:17)]MG42 is a german WWII weapon which will definitley not be used in arma.  biggrin_o.gif  neither the MG3 as it is german aswell and the south sahrani troops do not use it.

How do you know? They do use G36s.

HIGHLANDER @ Oct. 24 2006,21:31)]yes you can, as far as im aware you could do that in FDFmod in ofp, or maybe it was deploy mortars with tripod, needed 2 men for it though :S

You don't, I have re-deployed machine guns alone multiple times for short distances and even longer ones if I happen to have a motorized vehicle nearby.

And also, the heavy machine gun ammunition can be picked up separately in case your inventory was full when you grabbed the gun part. yay.gif

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Oct. 25 2006,06:17)]MG42 is a german WWII weapon which will definitley not be used in arma. biggrin_o.gif neither the MG3 as it is german aswell and the south sahrani troops do not use it.

It was just an example.

Right though, the MG42 is not a HMG anymore.

Well you know, I meant MGs that are not so easy or extremely ineffective to shoot while standing or crouching without giving the weappon a solid support.

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Oct. 25 2006,00:17)]MG42 is a german WWII weapon which will definitley not be used in arma. biggrin_o.gif neither the MG3 as it is german aswell and the south sahrani troops do not use it.

How do you know? They do use G36s.

G36 was added together with XMS and Steyr AUG in the Resistance expansion due to the "need" of an update (G36 and Styer widely used) but the MG3 will definitely not be in ask there is no reason for it to be in ... Norh is soviet equipped (PKM & RPK) and North is american equipped (M240B & M249)