Sign in to follow this  
Bordoy

French MPs pass 'genocide' bill

then denial of french torturing algerians should also be punished. For example.

Ex-General Aussaresse, responsible of Intelligence gathering by torture was comdemned by the French Justice for "Vindications of War crimes" (Apologies de crimes de guerre). tounge2.gif

Actually, everybody, among those against or for torture, aknowledge the use of torture by intelligence units as well as by more regular units.

I guess if someone try to deny these crimes, it would be considered as a brain-dead bunny rofl.gif

On the other side, Algeria is internationally renowed for its democracy, freedom of speech and fully aware of its history and its war for independance whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]Like the Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said, France is gonna turn into a country where you can be jailed for expressing their views.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Irony overload.

I'll leave it at that.

I'll point first @ Algeria.

With all the french public debates, documentaries in the french media , i can't see who can deny any french troops, OAS and FLN crimes committed in Algeria when you have so many documents accessible to public.

Quote[/b] ]then denial of french torturing algerians should also be punished. For example.

Aussaresse has been condamned in France for his crimes, and actually he never denied his actions neither anyone denied them for him.

Think you missed my point :

- they want a law to jail people denying Armenian genocide

- I want a law to jail people denying there was torture done by france in algeria. Not simply jail for the guilty.

That would just be fair, wouldn't it? Why stop with the armenian genocide?

I can do the same for any crime committed by french people around the world throughout our history.

Why punishing when it talks about something we're not really guilty of? When we should first clean up our own doorstep. Rather convenient, mmmh? whistle.gif

Yeh LOL, I'm sure I should be jailed for something *one* of my ancestors did, best case one of predecessors split open another cavemans skull for a scrap of food or a mate.

Judging the past by present values is always a hollow argument (if we consider ourselves an advancing society).

While I don't suggest we ignore history, we are just human individuals, punish the individuals responsibile and move on. If you keep drawing up the past (and place laws about history) you can never live properly in the future.

Colonialism, Nationalism and Religion have had a LOT to answer for in history. I'm damn sure we'd all be better off without them .... the 21st century has a chance of doing away with these, but I'm affaid Climate Change will drive us back at least 200 years .... sad really.

Gnat @ Oct. 14 2006,03:09)]the 21st century has a chance of doing away with these, but I'm affaid Climate Change will drive us back at least 200 years .... sad really.

You are forgetting corporate greed, intolerance and ignoring the past (few people below the age of 25 care about history, after all we are living now, not 60 years ago...).

All the neat little ingredients for a nice and cozy WW3 thumbs-up.gifhelp.gif