Sign in to follow this  
olemissrebel

Arabia-BETA

If it could be made to look even more like Iraq I would find god. notworthy.gif

As far as looking anymore like Iraq, I can't really help you. I've been there before over a year ago, and am going on another deployment this summer, (I'm 11B Infantry, US Army)

If I could only use some different buildings, ie, things such as Iraqi UC have made, as well as various others, I could make it look a ton better. There's only so much one can do with a few buildings. Remember, if it weren't for Agent Smith, you wouldn't even have those, so be thankful for what you have, I sure am.

I finally got the chance to actually fly over your island, Reb, and it is really awesome, one of my favorites now. Thanks for the hard work, stay safe in Iraq, and Go Rebs! (except for this Saturday, you understand  biggrin_o.gif )

olemissrebel,

I just unpacked the Arabia_2 pack and noticed that the AGS, JOF and Map addons had more recent dates. Did you rework these at all to suit your island?

Just currious.

Nope, I had repacked them after unpacking them awhile ago for WRP Tool, they are totally unmodified

Shots of a recent fly over the new Arabia_Beta2 biggrin_o.gif

10_111.jpg

10_112.jpg

10_113.jpg

10_117.jpg

10_118.jpg

10_1110.jpg

Island looks great...superb job!

One question, though: Which airfield does the AI use?

they arent copy pasted, i had originally put every type of BIS bush there, but replaced them with the only two there were in the DMA plant that even resembled something of the size. do you have any idea how long it would take me to place them all over again? i trust you like having a map smile_o.gif it would never be released if i re did all of those bushes.

Nooh you dont have to do them all over again...

But more like if you have a road, the plants are placed all at the same distance of eachother and in the air it looks like a runway with lights next to it allmost...

Just some high speed moveing randomly without thinking. To make it look less linear!

Ill see if I can get a picture of what i mean...

edit

dxdshot1160580367.jpg

Greatest island yet.

The best is the way you make the towns, tree groves, and flat terrain. All I can suggest is more towns, more tree groves, and more flat terrain. You should also mix up the white and brown buildings, instead of segregating them to different parts of the island.

And why the christian cemetery outside a mosque in an arab island?

Perhaps becuase the only graves I know of are BIS, ie, christian. Just because it's an ARAB island doesn't mean it's islamic, too often the two are confused. There are plenty of orthodox christians and jews in the Arab world. I will not be adding anything else to the island, sorry. It's made from an actual sat. photo set, and I won't alter that.

Awesome island olemissrebel, if I had a faster running computer I'd enjoy it a lot more. Hopefully once I get a new video card I can really play it to its full potential. smile_o.gif

"Perhaps becuase the only graves I know of are BIS, ie, christian. Just because it's an ARAB island doesn't mean it's islamic, too often the two are confused. There are plenty of orthodox christians and jews in the Arab world."

Goon's Najaf has arab/muslim style graves.

There are many christians and a few jews in the arab world, but they don't keep their dead buried outside mosques.

"I will not be adding anything else to the island, sorry. It's made from an actual sat. photo set, and I won't alter that."

Ah, that is good, it can't get anymore realistic as far as layout than that. Can I ask where the sat photo is of? I'll look it up.

I noticed the circular oasises on your island looked a lot like the circular crops that are common in the arab desert. Perhaps you confused sat imagery of crops for grass and trees? huh.gif

I'm an infantryman, I know more about maps and images than the average joe, I'm well aware they are crops, but seeing as getting good looking, lagless grass in OFP just isn't going to happen, i opted for the next best thing. the graves are by mosques because the island originally had all BIS buildings, and there were churches there. I will figure something out, and I will try and find the name of the place.

"I'm an infantryman, I know more about maps and images than the average joe, I'm well aware they are crops,"

This is why I couldn't understand how you could possibly confuse crops for wild vegetation.

"but seeing as getting good looking, lagless grass in OFP just isn't going to happen, i opted for the next best thing."

Understood.

"the graves are by mosques because the island originally had all BIS buildings, and there were churches there. I will figure something out, and I will try and find the name of the place."

Very cool.

Seriously dude, love the island, its the only one I play now and I've thirsted for a map like this for a long time. Good work! thumbs-up.gif

Great island. We have this uploaded on our server for MP and its great. Had some very good missions so far and more to come.

Good work notworthy.gif

I think if people are so paramount about the graves, then you should edit them yourself, try and look at the bigger picture of it being a realistic representation of a terrain environment, rather than the rather trivial aspect of the graves..

Obviously details are important, but there is only "so" much you can do with limited objects and time.

Nick wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Cross Graves in the mousqe.

And when we're already at nitpicking Rebl Man, they're

not "in" the mosque, but "outside" of it. whistle.gif

Great island olemissrebel - looking forward to the next

version. smile_o.gif

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]Cross Graves in the mousqe.

And when we're already at nitpicking Rebl Man, they're

not "in" the mosque, but "outside" of it.  whistle.gif

Great island olemissrebel - looking forward to the next

version.  smile_o.gif

~S~ CD

sorry!!! rofl.gifrofl.gif

I've been having kick ass battles on this island since it was released. pistols.gif

An idea regarding the graves: They all don't have huge crosses on 'em, but are rather just big stone blocks with writings. So how about you use only them graves without crosses, of course they don't look like the graves you'll usually come across in Arabic countries but still better than nothing.

Still, the island looks great, finally we can have an arabic island without having to download 100Mb of stuff for an island that's too big for any computer to handle.