Sign in to follow this  
Shinkansen

Pirates

Having to double post because it wouldn't allow me to include the other three images in the same post.

dutchmanhd5oi3.jpg

dutchmanhd6be3.jpg

dutchmanhd7wp0.jpg

wow, very impressive smile_o.gif

just at how many faces are you know?

I'd like to say,but I can't due to it not being the public release,I'm still working on getting the floor plan into the ship and whatnot,so I can't say for certain at the moment,however regardless,it will be pretty high up there,I'm not real worried about it to be honest,as it is the only ship of its kind that should be on a map,of course I'm not going for something crazy like 20k,so far the highest I'v seen it as was 10k and thats when I for some reason made the balcony railing eight sided,not sure what I was thinking,reduced it to four sided and that saved me around 500+ faces. But I'm afraid I cannot give a specific face count for public version,my rough guestimate is around seven thousand to eight thousand faces,something along those lines,possibly less,we'll have to wait and see. The trick is that I don't want to loose too much detail on the model,but I need to lower some of the stuff on the outside of the body that your not generally going to see. The 2D ropes work out better than the modelled ropes because of the sheer amount,not to mention with textures the ropes can be horizontal and verticle in the same thing without doubling the faces in that area.

I'v still got to fix the balconies though,after more examination I noticed the edges are more stretched than straight,that shouldn't be too hard to do. Of course nothing is official at the moment,it hasn't been tested ingame or has any defining points,I have no idea how many texture sheets it will require just yet,but I will be using texture mapping on it for certain,the problem is getting the right amount of detail into the textures,thats going to be the big trick..

Hi, we will have only one Ghostship and this will appear only when you are more or less alone and not backed up with a complete fleet, so number of points doesn't play a role. Philcommandos tawara for example is a 13K, so anything around or below 15k should work fine.

Most of my ships are not ready at the moment and I hope that some 3d stuff can replaced with textures, too, but to compare here are some point values:

Warship 54 guns - 4608 points

Golden Hind 12 guns - 2694 points

Half Moon 4 guns - 5624 points

War galleon (hull without gunports at the moment) 1153 points

"Roter Loewe" 16 guns (no masts at the moment) 2284 points

Black pearl 30 guns ~ 5000 points

Thats great news,glad to hear it. In that case I may leave the rib details,but I still think the ropes would be better off being a 2D texture,can save a wayload.

As for releasing the high detail model,sure,I'd be more than happy to,provided I don't get any grief about how it may run,afterall,the high detail is moreso designed for personal use,show and practice. Currently in its form the ship clocks in around 8000 or 9000 faces,I can still lower it by using a few shortcuts,but once the flooring is done on both levels and the cannons are in place,its going to jump back up there,regardless. Of course there are still other alternatives,such as making the mast poles six sided rather than the current eight,you won't notice much anyway..

Your ships sound quite feasable,definatly much more capable of running with several ships,I was wondering if by chance once I'm done with the sea creature skeleton for the front of the flying dutchman if I could work on the woman with the bird on the black pearl on the front of the bow.

I also noticed that upon looking at the images of the dutchman,they seemed to have left six or so areas on the very top for cannons,so thats around 20 on each side,plus the triples on the front and the rest on the very top,its a pretty hefty warship.. The website with the ship model building has been great help in learning how some things look and should look and how the ropes on the masts work. It is regretably far from done,but progress is going quickly so far. The biggest issue I have currently with the dutchman is its size..which I'll explain later.

pirat17vg1.jpg

Hi, I am down to 5 points for the mast poles. The cannons are proxys, so the don't really count.

Hi, I modeled a shipgun Lod 0.000 only and copied this for example to gun.p3d to the data3d folder in the ofpedit directory. Then you can select create proxy, getting the triangle named under selection as proxy_gun.01 and fully visible in Bulldozer.

Later on if you want to test the model as a static object in OFP to make screenshots you can copy the gun.p3d back to your folder and add these lines to the config file

class CfgNonAIVehicles

{

class ProxyWeapon {};

class Proxygun_l : ProxyWeapon {model="\pir_bs01\gun_l"; simulation = "maverickweapon";};

class Proxygun_h : ProxyWeapon {model="\pir_bs01\gun_h"; simulation = "maverickweapon";};

class Proxygun_m : ProxyWeapon {model="\pir_bs01\gun_m"; simulation = "maverickweapon";};

};

In this example I used three classes of guns; a light, medium and a heavy variant.

Hi,

this morning i have started to write a small tutorial for O2 explaining how to modell sailing ships. Here is the first chapter dealing with the general shape of the hull. If this is of some sort of interest and/or help, I can continue with the next chapters...

tutorial: How to build a sailing ship Chapter 1: Shaping the hull

You guys are AWESOME!!! I'm SOOOOOO Happy that you have have taken up Philcommandos initial work and have ran with it. (Shiver me Timbers! AARRRRRG!wink_o.gif

I regard Philcommando as one of the most unappreciated, yet innovative OFP addon makers ever to grace the OFP community so I am glad that your mod is doing him justice. He's a fantastic person and I have nothing but the greatest respect for him. Despite people saying nasty things about his work, he always ignored them and listened to the majority of the community who truly appreciated his hard work and innovations.

To people like:

Philcommando

Vit

Veit

Footmunch

Trenchfeet

Remo

Capt. Adammo

...and others who freeely and humbly shared their great work.

I SALUTE YOU!!!!

Through their work, the entire community has benefited!

Hats off to your mod and hopefully BIS will take notice and work with groups like you to launch perhaps new games based on historic eras similar to the Total War series of games.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Lost Brothers Mod Team Leader

Yes and no

The flag you showed was introduced later. Most of the ship models dated somewhere between 1600 and 1650. But the ship on the pic especially selected for the tutorials is a more modern one from 1750~1800. Therefore the flag you showed is the correct one. Or we can guess it's a pirate sailing under foreign flag or it is a british east company ship.

Or for the more practical solution, if you want to see this flag on the ship I will include it smile_o.gif

Need some help with transparent textures !!!!

I am using GIMP a program that can create alphachannels, but I haven't figured out how to use that, always the transparent info is gone if i finally cover it in texview.

So I am desperatly looking for someone who can either explain it to me hwo to create tranparent textures for ofp in GIMP or who can convert some textures for me over...

I can make em transparent for ya,or atleast alpha channels.

Cool, thanks a lot, i sent it to your mail account

Noticed the problem as soon as I saw the images. The thing is that you have a solid color around what is supposed to be transparent. What you want to do is go through and cut that which is not transparent out or turn it white. Its best to start with a new layer with no backround. Put the texture in that and cut the black out and continue and it should work,if it doesn't then I'll try it. For now I'm trying to rig the Dutchman and it is proving to be somewhat difficult.

@Shinkansen:

If you use Gimp i may can help u with creating Alphatextures. Send me a PM and i will tell u in german.

EDIT: I made a short tutorial for creating Alphatexture with the GIMP, ATM theres just a german version available. You can download it HERE