Sign in to follow this  
kutya

Ia Drang Tour of Duty

A couple of days ago I converted the Dynamic Mission Alliance's template to Ia Drang island with Vietnam War era units, and also made some adjustments to the functionality, altough yet minor ones. The mission is in beta stage. Already made improvements, but it's early for a version increase, and I'm on dial-up. The v1.01b version is available here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/23831874/IaDrangTourOfDutyV101.zip.html

If you know a better place for hosting, tell me.

And here's the readme:

Ia Drang Tour of Duty Dynamic Campaign v1.01b by Kutya

--------------------------------------

Started yesterday converting the DMA Malden dynamic campaign template to Ia Drang in Vietnam War era. It is how far I made it by today evening (07.22.2006.). By what little I tested it, seems to work fine, but note that this is still a beta, and bear in mind that I made this campaign firstly for myself, and tought maybe someone also wants to play dynamic Vietnam. It uses the SEBNAmPack v2 Ia Drang island.

For those not into this type of campaigns: this is a single mission which generates missions, until you are succesful enough to end the "campaign". Language is english only. Don't know the minimal requirements, but it works with OPF GOTY v1.96.

The scripts are almost the same as by the DMA. Changed little things, to better accomodate the scenario (removed NightVision goggles, missions mostly play by day, etc.).

Need fixing some minor things.

It seems to me that the enemy is too tough, but time will tell.

Addons needed:

-------------

SEBNam Pack 2

ftp://ftp.gamepark.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons/sebnampack2_full.zip

F4B & F4D & F4S PHantom II v1

ftp://ftp.gamepark.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/RKT&TMD_F4B.rar

BTW if you can play the excellent "1969 Vietnam v2" campaign by Spanky-G just add the F4 Phantom and it should be ok.

Installation:

------------

Move all addons to the addons folder in you OpF directory.

For a neat solution, set it up as a separate mod. For details visit some of the OpF sites.

Thanks to:

---------

DMA for an excellent template, and TacRod for the idea!

Changelog:

---------

v1.02b coming soon

v1.01b - added some details to home base

- fixed minor glitches

- added ammo to freeinsertion huey

v1.0b - the initial beta release.

suggestions to: egrimate@yahoo.com

june 2006

Here's the link to Ia Drang Tour of Duty v1.02b:

http://rapidshare.de/files/24021406/IaDrangTourOfDutyV102b.zip.html

Fixed some things in this one, and playability should be better, so I suggest dl-ing this version.

I'd like to expand the campaign to other islands, and I'm not much into them, so I'd like suggestions which good Vietnam-like islands are available. I know only Jungle Everon. The new Ia Drang (or Trang) valley is too much of a dl for me.

And the readme:

Ia Drang Tour of Duty Dynamic Campaign v1.02b by Kutya

--------------------------------------

Started converting the DMA Malden dynamic campaign template to Ia Drang in Vietnam War era. It uses the SEBNAmPack v2 Ia Drang island.

For those not into this type of campaigns: this is a single mission which generates missions, until you are succesful enough to end the "campaign". Language is english only. Don't know the minimal requirements, but it works with OPF GOTY v1.96.

The scripts are almost the same as by the DMA. Changed little things, to better accomodate the scenario (removed NightVision goggles, missions mostly play by day, etc.).

Need fixing some minor things.

It seems to me that the enemy is too tough, but time will tell.

Addons needed:

-------------

SEBNam Pack 2

BTW if you can play the excellent "1969 Vietnam v2" campaign by Spanky-G just add the F4 Phantom and it should be ok.

Installation:

------------

For a neat solution, set it up as a separate mod. For details visit some of the OpF sites.

Thanks to:

---------

DMA for an excellent template, and TacRod for the idea!

The major part of this work is not mine, so I'm not the one to ask for using parts of it. But if you ask me, you got my permission to do with this whatever you like, just ask the real creators. All the readmes are included.

Changelog:

---------

future plans (only major improvements mentioned but no promises):

- dividing island conquering in phases, so the progress should be more obvious

- linking islands into a real campaign (you finish one, travel to another)

- more randomisations to increase variability and surprises

v1.02b - added ammo to freeextraction heli

- bugfix: sec. weapon was active upon exit from extraction heli

- reworked airstrike script, so the plane always, arrives, and always departs.

- modified locations for downed pilots rescue mission, to be more player friendly

- bugfix: the downed huey didn't appear at the crash site in pilot rescue mission

- bugfix: the Phantom now flies with gear up

- fixed minor glitches

- added ammo to freeinsertion heli

june 2006

which good Vietnam-like islands are available. I know only Jungle Everon. The new Ia Drang (or Trang) valley is too much of a dl for me.

Yes there is new version of SEB NAM Pack 2 out now, its called Vietnam: The Experience and it includes all the islands you could ever need.

Thanks. I'll try to dl it, but will take a while.

Have you heard about the Unsung War Demo 2? After a short look I think it's an excellent vietnam addon pack with the best quality so far. Especially because of the beatiful islands with good performance and AI compatibility.

Yes, I saw it on Opf.info, but as I (probably) said I'm on dial-up, and now in the everlasting phase of dl-ing VTE (which is now at 3%). My intention was to dl the Unsung 2 afterwards, but thanks anyway.

Now, to my work. I played about a dozen of missions, and things mainly seem right. Once, my airstrike didn't arrive at srtrike coord, but otherwise there were no problems.

I think I'm getting the hang of basic scripting, so if I'll have the time, will make soon the multi-phase & multi-island campaign.

And a tip: in the beginning play front-line missions, to raise your value, because some missions can get hairy and you'll much need support (and it always feel good to make an airstrike notworthy.gif )

My next work will be modifying the rearming script, because it isn't flexible enough (probably because I added too much weapons).

Sounds very interesting smile_o.gif I know you're on dial-up but how about downloading the new Ia Drang Valley from Polish GI?

It's a massive island and would make even more missions possible smile_o.gif

Yes, firstly I tought about the new Ia Drang, but saw that it needs the Unsung 2. I'm still dl-ing VTE, but afterwards will dl both Unsung 2 and the new Ia Drang.

I'm thinking about to finish the 'old' version of Ia Drang Tour of Duty to be a 'lite' version of my future plans. Here: I want the current campaign to be playable with only SEB2 and the Phantom, so that people who aren't Vietnam fans, could still play it. The final ( 'old' ) version will (probably) include the Ia Drang and Jungle Everon islands. You would start on Ia Drang, counquer it in separate phases (the missions would concentrate on different parts of the island - for me it seems nice, since you are changing the base of operations, so you feel progress). When you conquer it, you'll go to Jungle Everon and then the campaign ends. Maybe insert a couple of regular missions (intro, ending and maybe some special missions). This seems pretty simple, but since I do this alone this will take time.

Now, for the 'new' campaign, I'd like to do the same, but including VTE and the Unsung 2. As I read, there are many islands, so this could be a real 'Vietnam Tour of Duty', which will probably be an appropriate name of the new campaign. There would be hundreds of (mostly generated) missions, until you get home.

You could say who the hell would play so much missions to end a campaign. There are so many (also not Vietnam) islands around, and nice places, where I've never been, since no missions are played there (even the default ones). This would be a nice way to explore them. Once you change the default units and weapons to some specific era, it isn't (too) much of a work to include new islands. Altough don't know how to end it: you conquered a dozen of islands, and still lose? I'd prefer not to change history.

The 'old', simpler, version (Ia Drang & Everon) should be done soon.

Here is the link for Ia Trang Tour of Duty v1.04 final

http://rapidshare.de/files....ip.html

Evrything's there, what I mentioned above, except the only island is SEB Ia Trang and no scripted missions whistle.gif . The reason was that I want to convert to VTE, so wanted to finalize this version quickly. But this should be a relatively stable release.

Many minor improvements were not mentioned.

Here's the readme:

Ia Drang Tour of Duty Dynamic Campaign v1.04 FINAL by Kutya

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Converted the DMA Malden dynamic campaign template to Ia Drang in Vietnam War era. It uses the SEBNAmPack v2 Ia Drang island.

v1.04 is the 'final' version, because this stays a 'lite' version which requires only SEB Nam pack 2 and the F4 Phantom. This campaign will be widely broadened, including many islands, but that will require 'Vietnam The Experience' or 'The Unsung II' mods, or maybe both of them if they can work together. So if you don't have them, this version stays as it is. Only will be changed if someone reports bugs. The NextGen of this campaign will probably called (surprisingly) 'Vietnam Tour of Duty'.

Tips:

----

- at the beginning of the campaign, play some missions on the front-line (ask the special forces officer at the bunker) to gain some value, because some of the regular missions can get hairy, and you'll surely need some support (or you're a better player than me).

- IMPORTANT! I've reworked the rearming to avoid micromanaging your squad. The LAWs, sidearms, grenades are all decided by the primary weapon:

- m16a1:

flare gun

3 flares

3 grenades

- car15:

flare gun

3 flares

2 grenades

- car15/w grenade launcher:

m1191a1 pistol

3 grenades

- m14:

m1911a1 pistol

law launcher

3 laws

- remington 700

m1911a1 pistol

- m60, m60s & m63a

m1911a1 pistol

- m79

m1991a1 pistol

- m3sd, m3a1 & m45

m1911a1 pistol

You'll need the 90mm Recoiless and binoculars (you have binoculars) in rare ocassions, so you'll need to equip them manually. There's not much armor (well, Vietnam) and you shouldn't loose your binoculars.

Added flare gun to guys who have plenty of ammo, and close encounter weapons, so they won't need sidearms. If you have the nerve, you still can change the armaments at the ammo crate. In short, just choose the main weapon for everyone, and the rest will be as in the above list.

Still, you won't have the perfect choice of arms (well, not as intended), because when reinforcing (rearming is ok), things still mess up a bit, but that will wait for another time. Simply, if you got new guys in the squad, set everyone's main weapon as desired (by the above list), rearm, and everything will be ok.

I'm don't know much Vietnam War history (prob. because I'm European), so don't blame me for inconsistencies. I know that "simulation and arcade" balance, but I prefer ww2 history, so if you find something, mail and I'll correct.

Addons needed:

-------------

SEBNam Pack 2

BTW if you can play the excellent "1969 Vietnam v2" campaign by Spanky-G (the Avon Lady version), just add the F4 Phantom and it should be ok.

Installation:

------------

This file goes to the "<your opf directory>\campaigns" folder.

Thanks to:

---------

DMA (Sanctuary to be precise) for an excellent template, and TacRod for the idea!

The major part of this work is not mine, so I'm not the one to ask for using parts of it. But if you ask me, you got my permission to do with this whatever you like, just ask the real creators. All the readmes are included.

Changelog:

---------

future plans (only major improvements mentioned but no promises):

- linking islands into a real campaign (you finish one, travel to another)

- more randomisations to increase variability and surprises

v1.04 - implemented the multi-phase island conquer and also some minor variations to dialogues

- overviews, briefings, debriefings, notes

- removed the music (which was BTW my improvisation), because of my inability to make it as a separate addon (hence the smaller size)

v1.03b - adjusted ambush points

- adjusted daytime of missions, to a bit more of dusk/dawn missions

- bugfix: solved error on disembarking from extra-heli

- tweaked extraction script

- comprehensive tweak of rearm script

- concept change: there are two files, just to ease download time: the mission core, and mission specific addons which are larger and will change rarely

(1.03b is an unreleased version)

v1.02b - added ammo to freeextraction heli

- bugfix: sec. weapon was active upon exit from extraction heli

- bugfix: Phantom now flies with gear up

- reworked airstrike script, so the plane always, arrives, and always departs. Also corrected it, so if the plane crashes, the script ends

- modified locations for downed pilots rescue mission, to be more player friendly

- bugfix: the downed huey didn't appear at the crash site in pilot rescue mission

- fixed minor glitches

- added ammo to freeinsertion heli

june 2006

The reason was that I want to convert to VTE, so wanted to finalize this version quickly.

Yes thats the way to go, SEB NP2 is old by now and VTE is the present day NAM stuff for OFP.

Quote[/b] ]This campaign will be widely broadened, including many islands, but that will require 'Vietnam The Experience'

There you can find the many new objects like houses, bases, vegetation and such with the many new islands, not to mention the new units, vehicles, animals and music, etc etc. The beauty of VTE is that you do not need any addons to use it, like you have to use the phantom with this current version of the mission for example.

We are slowly closing in for the v0.3 release (next month), there is going to be great stuff in there for you to use, you'll be amazed. Until that, play around with the current v0.2 to learn about all the new things that are available for you to use.

Hi there, and thank you for your work, I'm real interesting to try it, I love dynamic mission,

Unfortunately my connection seems dont love rapidshare DL, due shared IP....

Can anyone host the mission samewhere different from Rapid...

thanks in advance

Don't know. I've sent it to opf.info, but nothing happened. TacRod suggested to host it on his site, but no answer yet. Also posted it to fileplanet, but it is pending (but it's the first version). Rapidshare is currently the only source. RS doesn't accept DL managers, maybe that's the prob. If you're really interested PM me, and I'll send it to your mail (it's under 1mb).

Thanks for your send mate,

but unfortunately I continue to be unable to try it....

maybe I install the island not so good, too time without OFP here.... all run good but when the mission start I'm into the water!! seems that not island there!

here the message I got, if you can search that file into your OFP folder and send to me I'll apreciate very much

I try to attach the image.. ops I cant...

I send the screenshot for email

I have tried everything as you and other suggest, but the problem still there seems that I cant install the island, I dont see it also if I try to open it with editor.

Into the map at the start mission, I see everything except the island and all the marker and mission info are into water........... sob... maybe I have a wrong version of IAdrang?

I have tried also to DL it separately from the seb pack, but still the same.....

always the missing config bin/Iadrang eccc as into the screenshot I send to you...

anyway thanks mate for your kindly support...

Iěll try again with more time into the afternoon

ciao

I really don't know what's the problem. Is it SEB v2? Or what version of OpF do you have? I've got GOTY with 1.96 patch. Also try to run without other mods. Try making a fresh install of OpF, and copying only the SEB and Phantom into the OpF's addons dir. It should REALLY work then. Else, don't know. If it works that way, you can improve it later. Good luck!

Progress update: The making of the Vietnam Tour of Duty has started. I converted the previous campaign to use VTE units and islands. Currently only using The Bra. All units should be JAM2 compatible. There are some bugs, so no release yet, because it is a very early alpha. Also hoping to include new functions. It seems that this campaign will be significantly harder, because of the dense vegetation, and steep slopes. Possible balancing needed. For a change, you will really watch where you'll insert, because you can easily crash on a slope and you won't be able to land in forests anymore. Also there is a boat at the base, so you will be able to travel by rivers to your objective (but the AI isn't much of a driver, so better drive yourself).

@Metio

Try making a mod folder. Install only the required addons into it. Here is a guide on how to do it:

Mod Folders

Hope this helps smile_o.gif

sim

Thank you all, I have tried it done the mod folder with in only the addons folder with the seb2 and phantom file...

I understand what the problem is, and it is the impossibilities for me to install the IADRANG island, I dont know if maybe there are a limitation of number of island that can be into the game, but in any way I try I never can see the island also with editor, so I think the problem is real little and simple, but until I not figure out what is it is a BIG problem! acccchh

I go back to try sob

ok, finally I got it, with a fresh install....

damn!! now I go to play it... and wait the new one with the VTE or Unsung?? smile_o.gif

ciao

and thank you very much to everyone that help me out

This is campaign, not mission guys !!

Many persons mislead this smile_o.gif

The new campaign will be using VTE, because simply I'm liking it more. Played some missions in "The Bra" and the atmosphere is completely different. You don't see a thing in some places and need to be really careful. Because this, the whole place is vibrating (and will be even more, when I insert random encounters).

In missions against NVA sf you really need support, because they twice cut me into pieces (they all have MGs). The second time I brought a sniper, but a guy appeared just in front of me so didn't have time to switch weapons. Jungle warfare:)

This release will wait a bit, to complete it regularly.

Also found a bug in the previous v1.04 'final': if you call an airstrike, the plane will be destroyed after the bombing run.

Not a big prob, just annoying. Just debugging something, and forgot it that way, sorry.

I converted the previous campaign to use VTE units and islands. Currently only using The Bra.

Excellent choice.

Quote[/b] ]All units should be JAM2 compatible.

VTE is using JAM 3 now so you can safely use the latest one with the few new added magazines etc.

If you like Ia Drang, I'd (not-so-humbly) say it's only a shadow of what will be the Vietnam Tour of Duty. I'm simply amazed what can be done combining other people's great work! The islands (sorry) could be sometimes better, but there are real excellent ones, like The Bra (Polish GI, I think), just that it isn't for the weekend player, who want's to shoot in 5sec after mission start. The units also great (mostly SEB), music also (VTE). And of course Sanctuary's DMA template. Without it I wouldn't even start doing this, because until now, I didn't write a single line of script in OpF.

And, @Snake Man: I'd like you at VTE to include even more Hendrix songs in the next release. Most importantly Machine Gun. I know it's long, but it's worth it:) Also For Your Love from the Yardbirds and Sunshine of Your Love from the Ybirds or Hendrix version. Having some more music ideas. If interested PM me.

About JAM3. Just add it to VTE (& remove JAM2), and it will be ok?

BTW I've seen some inconsistencies in JAM2 about the Remington700 Sniper ammo. It doesn't use what's listed.