Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I'll go with either a 3800 or 4200 dual core instead of a single core.

Now, regarding the mobo, should I just stick with an Asus A8N-E, instead of the A8N-SLI? I don't think I'll need SLI, so unless SLI mobos have some other distinct advantage I'd probably be better off with the cheaper A8N-E.

Sry for changing object, we'll get back to you ralph tounge2.gif

I need a new headset, so I was thinking between two:

Sennheiser Headset PC-130

or

Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Precision is like 10euro cheaper.

It looks better thouhg tounge2.gif

Wich one should I choose?

Roughly the same quality. Sound quality of Sennheiser is considered better.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I'll go with either a 3800 or 4200 dual core instead of a single core.

Now, regarding the mobo, should I just stick with an Asus A8N-E, instead of the A8N-SLI? I don't think I'll need SLI, so unless SLI mobos have some other distinct advantage I'd probably be better off with the cheaper A8N-E.

That depends on whether you think you'll be upgrading to SLI in the future, but If I was you, just get the single PCI-E mobo, if you need another upgrade in the future, buying a new card is probably alot more cost effective than buying a second old one.

@JW: All I know about headphones is that in the choice between Senheiser and everything else, Senheiser wins, and since when were look important? biggrin_o.gif

What would you rather have, a good looking girl, or an ugly girl? tounge2.gif

Ok, I'll go with the Sennheisers tounge2.gif

I'm thinking of returning mobo and RAM. HAd enough problem. CD/DVD-R is from Sony and seems to be ok. The problem is that Windows would run, then it would suddenly give BSOD for some other reason.

If it keeps BSODing then its probably a hardware issue. What stuff did you use in the PC? The most common offenders here are PSUs and RAM (only if you bought cheap non-brand RAM)

It probably is. I'm going out to exchange the two. Let's see what happens. I used MSI k9n sli for mobo and Some cheap ass memory. Will change both.

No bad thing with MSI, (IMO), but since your changing go with Asus for MoBo and Kingston (preferably Hyper-X) memories smile_o.gif

About the 2,3,4,5 monitor setups.......Like others have said you have to have an odd number, because of the gap in an even monitor setup. A 5 monitor setup would just be amazing. From then on, you would expand upward and downward (row on top and below). Instead of going to 5+ monitors (I'm not even considering a 3 monitor set-up, I'm just curious about the future), does anybody know of any technology regarding curved widescreen monitors? I know I've seen curved projection screens, but I'm assuming it takes a projector to supply the image. If there is ever a demand for curved monitors, you could get a 180 degree view from 1 monitor or at least from a 3 monitor setup.

and Some cheap ass memory. Will change both.

And theres your prob smile_o.gif Are you sure the PSU is good too? What brand/make is it?

If it's cheap arse memory I suggest underclocking it, worked for me (400MHz -> 333MHz = from unstable to rock solid). Also torturing the memory with memtest86 for a night might help find the problem.

Hi I need some advice on a new video card. I need an AGP card because I can't upgrade to PCI:E now. I narrowed it down to two cards. Which one you think is better?

SAPPHIRE 100152SR Radeon X850PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO AGP 4X/8X

OR

ASUS N6800/TD/512M Geforce 6800 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

I'm leaning towards the 6800 because it's got 512mb of memory and it's cheaper. But it's 128bit and gddr2 while the x850 is 256bit gddr3

The Sapphire.

Didn't find any good info about it over at SapphireTech, but the card seem to be much more better over all.

Yeah the Sapphire is looking good now. Everything about it is better except for the 256mb vs 512mb memory. But the sapphire has faster memory anyways so I guess it doesn't matter.

I read in the user reviews that the card orginally has 16 pixel pipelines but ATI cuts 4 of them with a laser to make 12 and that those disabled pipelines can be put back on. But I'll need extra cooling.

I think the same can be done with the 6800, but if it cant the Radeon is a much better choice. As for cooling - get an Arctic Cooling CGA Silencer

Ok back to my replacement fan advise smile_o.gif .

I got myself the Zalman as you guys advised and installed it on the GPU , however there have been issues i ran in to on the installation. The damn heat sinks and the large ass Zalman fan dont fit in together on the 6600GT AGP version.

As this blog by a guy states the model just doesnt allow heat sinks and fan together so he opted for the fan only way , i wanna know if this is safe and worth risking , or will i burn off my ram since the card will be used often and the reason why the original fan burned off according to the folks from where i got it was the card had seen too many hours.

Zalman vu700 issues

So what do i do?

Try and squeeze the heat sinks on someway or the other or is it safe just leaving them aircooled?

I would be skeptical. If you have a well cooled case, and if you dont plan on overclocking, you might want to take a shot, besides, I think youre at the last resort, if it blows up, at least you know you tried all you could. whistle.gif

EDIT: Acecombat, how did this all start again?

Try and squeeze the heat sinks on someway or the other or is it safe just leaving them aircooled?

The memory heatsinks do not do much. Some people even suspect they do more bad and than good as the adhesive tape they have doesn't have a very good thermal conductivity, so you would be better off with the fan blowing directly at the memory chips. I initially didn't have them in mine, but then tried putting them in there anyway after a while (I cut them up a bit to make them fit) but I didnt notice any difference in temperatures or overclockablity.

So you have the same card and fan as me?

Btw i managed to get in 3 heat sinks on out of 4 , ones at a bit odd angle though. Ones left open.

I tried the card now and it works very well. Even when playing CoD2 and all other gfx intensive games the temp only goes in low 40's. Previously it went to high 40's. smile_o.gif

turns out the memory was the culprit. got better one and is working now. I will get it up and running soon, hopefully

AMD 64 3800

MSI K9n SLI motherboard (both $280)

PNY nVidia GForce 7600 ($170)

2 gig RAM (about $200)

3000 gig Seagate HDD ($90?)

Sony DVD-R ($70?)

Thermaltake 500watt PSU($70?)

in all, about $1000 total spent.

3000gig eh? did not know they made them that big. wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Looks like a pretty nice setup you will have there though. I have been using an AMD64 (the lowest kind) since they came out... no problem with it.. have only upgraded graphics card to a 6600... and it still runs new games great!

I have a Geforce 6600 and couldn't be happier with it... it was under $150...

I won't begin with ati vs nvidia though =/ yay.gifwelcome.gifpistols.gifnener.gifnotworthy.gifhelp.gifgoodnight.gifthumbs-up.gifbanghead.gif

I can't find any AGP 7800 under $250.

What sucks is all the AGP 512mb cards are built cheap. E.g they all have GDDR2 128-bit memory. While the good 256mb cards are built while GDDR3 256-bit memory.

The x850XT has the same amount of pixel pipelines as a 7800 GS anyways (16).

The only advantage I see the 7800 has is it's 1300mhz memory clock. Slightly better than the x850's memory clock.

So spending more money on the 7800 doesn't seem to pay off anyways as the x850 is just as good as it.

Theres a certain model of the 7800GS, I believe Gainward make it and it has "Bliss" somewhere in its name, its meant to be a much better than regular 7800GS. The best cheap AGP card I can think of would be a 6800GS, or if you are prepared to use Ebay, look for a 6800GT. That Radeon youre looking at is nice but it lacks Shader Model 3 which is a major disavantage for the latest games.