Sign in to follow this  
mclane23

Starcraft CTI

Yesterday, i got a strange idea. I wonder if someone tried to make CTI mod incorporated into starcraft world.Imagine seeing marines, hydras and zealots fighting together in OFP world. I did some thinking and i think it wouldn't be to hard to create most of the things from SC world.

1. As for buildings, most things are pretty easy here, the models would be created for each structure, and that's it mostly. There are some difficulties as how to make buildings fly(if that's possible), but generaly this wouldn't be to hard i think.

2. The units would be more problematic, as obviously some melee units would not make too much sense in OFP (probably because of the visibility and range of most weapons) like firebats, or zerglings. Some special features (like cloak) are already known in OFP world, so i think this could be done too.

What worries me, is how to make the game mechanism work. Obviously, the basic CTI idea would be present. There are just some small things to discuss. I was thinking as players being SCV/drones/probes at the begining (maybe marines/zerglings??/zealots. So, if you want to be a Siege tank, you would purchase it at factory and man it yourself. Same would be for Hydralisks for example you would buy it at Hydralisk den and get into it like in a vehiecle...

There are many many things do talk about here, so post your ideas/question/answers here

Guest Ti0n3r

I love StarCraft, so this sounds great! I even made couple of StarCraft units myself some time ago, lost them though. banghead.gif

I love Starcraft, I still play it fairly often. It would be great to see a Starcraft battle unfold as a Marine. The problem is that OFP struggles when it comes to melee.

The actual game system would be the easy part. Modelling, scripting and animating the Zerg would be the hard part. If someone managed to do such a mod, it would be awesome.

Impossible to have a Starcraft mod that won't get struck by Blizzard's lawyers. I'm surprised that OFP still has it's Star Wars mod, in most other game communities Lucas hunted them down and shut them down.

You know what would be interesting?

Space: Above and Beyond Mod

wow_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I don't think Blizzard's lawyers should be a problem. Just ignore them wink_o.gif

I love starcraft too. and the update too "Broodwar" It is a really nice game and i play it sometimes. The ai i think is very nice, sometimes a little hard. My favorite side is zerg. i like the "hydralisks". if you come with mass with them, the enemy dont have got a chance.

About a CTI project:

We dont do a Starcraft project, but we do a Command & Conquer Project. about the third serie "C&C Tiberian Sun" On my signature you can find the homepage about us. 2 Addons are avaiable to download and 2 videos. one video is about a CTI. We have modified a CR CTI to a C&C CTI, it works how in the game C&C TibSun, with energy system, tiberium system etc. and you have more options, you can turn the camera, turn the building what you want to place, and zoom in & out. a very nice thing is it biggrin_o.gif but we are atm in a brake. waiting for armed assault. i have just setted up our new homepage, that we have a new "base" to start the mod in arma. about that cti you can see an old video of the build menu, how i have said, its ooooold.

ltrs

@ May 04 2006,17:46)]Impossible to have a Starcraft mod that won't get struck by Blizzard's lawyers. I'm surprised that OFP still has it's Star Wars mod, in most other game communities Lucas hunted them down and shut them down.

By making a Starcrift modification, featuring Zorgs, Tirrans , Prutus etc... you should have no such problem wink_o.gif

@ May 04 2006,17:46)]Impossible to have a Starcraft mod that won't get struck by Blizzard's lawyers. I'm surprised that OFP still has it's Star Wars  mod, in most other game communities Lucas hunted them down and shut them down.

By making a Starcrift modification, featuring Zorgs, Tirrans , Prutus etc... you should have no such problem wink_o.gif

That's exactly what i planed. Change the names a little, and then provide info on how to change the names to "original"

I love starcraft too. and the update too "Broodwar" It is a really nice game and i play it sometimes. The ai i think is very nice, sometimes a little hard. My favorite side is zerg. i like the "hydralisks". if you come with mass with them, the enemy dont have got a chance.

About a CTI project:

We dont do a Starcraft project, but we do a Command & Conquer Project. about the third serie "C&C Tiberian Sun" On my signature you can find the homepage about us. 2 Addons are avaiable to download and 2 videos. one video is about a CTI. We have modified a CR CTI to a C&C CTI, it works how in the game C&C TibSun, with energy system, tiberium system etc. and you have more options, you can turn the camera, turn the building what you want to place, and zoom in & out. a very nice thing is it  biggrin_o.gif  but we are atm in a brake. waiting for armed assault. i have just setted up our new homepage, that we have a new "base" to start the mod in arma. about that cti you can see an old video of the build menu, how i have said, its ooooold.

ltrs

------------------------

Arrrrrgg! This is news to me sad_o.gif Was kinda hoping for a few more GDI goodies from you guys befor ArmA. That family of orcas are just begging to be used.....even if their alphas smile_o.gif

Sorry , I just read about C&C3 in pc gamer and I was jones'n for some c&c. Caused me to reinstall Tiberan sun.....and now it looks like I'll have to do the same for c&c renegades for some fps action....lol....for the love of god don't make me reinstall renegade!!! :P

About a CTI project:

We dont do a Starcraft project, but we do a Command & Conquer Project. about the third serie "C&C Tiberian Sun" On my signature you can find the homepage about us. 2 Addons are avaiable to download and 2 videos. one video is about a CTI. We have modified a CR CTI to a C&C CTI, it works how in the game C&C TibSun, with energy system, tiberium system etc. and you have more options, you can turn the camera, turn the building what you want to place, and zoom in & out. a very nice thing is it biggrin_o.gif but we are atm in a brake. waiting for armed assault. i have just setted up our new homepage, that we have a new "base" to start the mod in arma. about that cti you can see an old video of the build menu, how i have said, its ooooold.

ltrs

------------------------

Arrrrrgg! This is news to me sad_o.gif Was kinda hoping for a few more GDI goodies from you guys befor ArmA. That family of orcas are just begging to be used.....even if their alphas smile_o.gif

Sorry , I just read about C&C3 in pc gamer and I was jones'n for some c&c. Caused me to reinstall Tiberan sun.....and now it looks like I'll have to do the same for c&c renegades for some fps action....lol....for the love of god don't make me reinstall renegade!!! :P

Hehe :P

I just can say. that new C&C 3 "Tiberian Wars" is shit. its my sight about that game. Ive saw many pics of it. look at the mammoth tank of GDI. it looks shit. and the new GDI logo looks shit too. it looks like starship troopers logo. and the soldiers looks shit too. they looks like how the space marines of starcraft, look at their weapons, soon the same rofl.gif in my sight, C&C3 is tooo futuristic, GDI & NOD is their like dead. i just can say, EA games go home, Westwood forever! but, westwood is dead crazy_o.gif

and renegade is in my sight shit too. for short games to shoot around is it ok. but you cant build your own bases, all things are just defined, you only can buy vehicles, weapons, and walk around. thats all. EA games ^^

We will release the mod in armed assault, we have to look forward what doors they can open for us, search some options for the walk animations, and this multiple gunner positions is nice too, maybe for the wolverine of GDI and surely for another vehicles. and mybe we will do a "update pack too for OUR mod, like new vehicles with new names for GDI & NOD. how in C&C TS, the update firestorm. we just find our own units out, and trying to set the side ballances too, so NOD cant be better than GDI, and GDI cant be better than NOD, then you have to play with a similar TACTIC :P

Sorry for my bad english, just from swiss sad_o.gif

ltrs

I kinda think a starcraft mod would be damn cool biggrin_o.gif we could use see if we could lend the scripts and animations from the jurrastic park mod, which has already been adapted to be used with that aliens addon.

Shouldnt be that hard to convert it to be used on a the little zerg units (the small basic melee ones that come out of the eggs in 3's)

as for the other zerg units it might be a bit harder.

as for the terran units, well shouldnt be too difficult? im not sure about the protoss though.

Luckily, the protoss shouldn't be a big problem either. Zealots, High/dark templars are all "walking" units similar to men, while dragoon has the anim similar to many spider-like mech addons already made (I thik arachna is one of them). As for reaver, it's mainly a tank-like thing.

The only two protoss units that concern me are Carriers (i don't have the idea on how to make interceptors), and arbiteurs (i don't think it's possible to create an area based cloak script, but maybe i'm wrong). Other protoss units are:

Dropship-pretty easy

Corsair-easy

Scout-easy

Archon-pretty easy

What really concerns me is if it is possible to make a protoss shield. It would take some shitload of scripting crazy_o.gif

hmm maybe you could create a simple "bubble" object that would have a slight blue tint to it but is other wise see threw. This bubble would stop bullets but only have a certain amount of health. Then create a simple script that just loops a setpos script to make sure it stays covering the unit, and also checks its health. Once its !alive it simple exits the loop and Deletevechicle.

Shouldnt be too much of a proplem inless you have a lot of protoss units on the map with all Loop scripts running it might cause some lag. Then again protoss's strength wasnt ment to be in there sheer numbers like the zerg.

Guest Ti0n3r

About Orbiter Interceptors; You could make the Carrier spawn AI interceptors and when they run out of ammo they'd "return to the carrier to rearm". I think it should work.

...Damn, I just closed my eyes and I saw a Battlecruisers orbiting above a battle between a Terran army & a Zerg army, just like in the BroodWars into. (All this happening in the ArmA engine)

I say again, damn... ofplover.jpg

Edit: Of course I don't have all the answers, but if someone would be working on a Carrier for ArmA/OFP I guees he would find a way to make it work.

icon11.gif

hmm maybe you could create a simple "bubble" object that would have a slight blue tint to it but is other wise see threw. This bubble would stop bullets but only have a certain amount of health. Then create a simple script that just loops a setpos script to make sure it stays covering the unit, and also checks its health. Once its !alive it simple exits the loop and Deletevechicle.

Shouldnt be too much of a proplem inless you have a lot of protoss units on the map with all Loop scripts running it might cause some lag. Then again protoss's strength wasnt ment to be in there sheer numbers like the zerg.

As you said the biggest issue would be lag, also, the protoss shields recharge over time, but i think that this would be also possible.

I wonder if you can actually make such a "bubble" that stops only bullets and other ammo from killing you, and not getting stuck to trees houses and such objects huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]I wonder if you can actually make such a "bubble" that stops only bullets and other ammo from killing you, and not getting stuck to trees houses and such objects

I remeber not long ago some one made a 'sheild' that prevented bullets from passing but let units (and maybe objects) pass. It was made for MP safe zones at respawns.

Ill see if i can find it.

Edit:

Here it is

@ May 04 2006,17:46)]Impossible to have a Starcraft mod that won't get struck by Blizzard's lawyers. I'm surprised that OFP still has it's Star Wars  mod, in most other game communities Lucas hunted them down and shut them down.

Well for starters thats wrong, George lucas allows and encourages the use of starwars in fan films and mods, there are many starwars mods in the works for many games. As long as the people who are making it are not charging money from it he doesnt have a problem.

Thank you very much "D.murphy man"!

This would certainly make protoss more realistic.

Other thing i was thinking about was creep (that zerg ground yucky thing). Think this could be done by changing that dynamic grass into creep that is spawned only near zerg buildings

You got the right idea wink_o.gif , a star craft *Sorry Starcrift*  rofl.gif  mod would be great. If anyone wants to start the mod and wants a map built for it let me know...

i just read this and im a huge fan of the game but i think blizzard based the aliens on warhammer 40k eg terrens look like space marines and zergs look like tyrinids so it shoudent be to hard to make the terrins as you might be able to ask the wh40k for a base model of the marine

i hope you guys can do this

just an idea for the hydralisk (Spitter thing) Make it throw grenades, but make the animation like it retracting its head or something.. then make the grenade shoot and explode in green

Dont push yourselfs too hard to make everything perfect... i think it would just be sweet to have the Marines, and zerg... maybe protoss later..

pistols.gif

Good idea but i was thinking more like a "shotgun thing" shooting, like a wide spread of bullets. In my opinion that would be more realistic