Sign in to follow this  
bl00k

Third Person

I did a search and couldn't find anything on third person. I know how much you guys hate the same questions over and over.

So, my question is: Has there been any word on if you will be able to switch to third person in ArmA? I really liked that option in OFP. I know some servers I played on would have that disabled and I even enjoyed that ability to choose whether you could go to third person on a server or not. I hope this remains the same with ArmA.

i cant see why it wouldnt be any different then it is now, for me it was just fine the way it is, with the option to turn it off/on.

i really hope they keep that option. hope they will improve it in good way cause that helps alot in editing maps alot.

im sure they already made something in that way... wink_o.gif

I think you should be able to lock out of it for online play, but I don't see why you would get rid of it entirely.

I like to switch to 3rd person as infantry at times to see my relation to other people in formation and whatnot. It can be helpful I think. But takes away from the hardcore sim. Which I believe is why some people like it and some people don't. I've played on servers that don't allow 3rd person at all, to make it as realistic as possible.

I like to switch to 3rd person as infantry at times to see my relation to other people in formation and whatnot. It can be helpful I think. But takes away from the hardcore sim. Which I believe is why some people like it and some people don't. I've played on servers that don't allow 3rd person at all, to make it as realistic as possible.

You know you can just turn your head using the num-pad right?

I'd like to see it stay. It gets boring in 1st person mode on long walks.

I wish 3rd only for vehicles and not for infantry, ever  smile_o.gif

Well just because that's what you want doesn't mean they should ruin it for everyone else...

I like how 3rd person is currently governed in OFP (by the server).

You can be sure they keep it as it is (since thats probably the only thing from OFP noone ever complained about biggrin_o.gif)

Anyway, an easy way to look for your squaddies on the battlefield without 3rd person, is imply hold ATL and look around with your mouse.

Its grea in mp if laying in a bush, since your body wont move, only the head making it harder to spot ya biggrin_o.gif

When I'm trying to keep in formation or I'm just moving a long distance on foot I hit the free look toggle key. You can then move your head with the mouse to look around without holding a button and use default keys 'x' and 'c' to control your direction.

3rd is very useful not only for veichs but for infantry when i just want to have a look at the modle or take screeneies etc keep it in but with the option for servers to lock it out smile_o.gif

personally as I play veteran style all the time and have done for years i see no reason why we shouldnt have the option of 3rd to suit everyones needs.

3rd sucks, it`s so arcade. Soldier should only see with his eyes smile_o.gif - as in 1st person view. ArmA won`t be game for arcade lovers so i see no sense in putting 3rd view in it (but it`s gonna probably be there sad_o.gif )

Guest Ti0n3r
3rd sucks, it`s so arcade. Soldier should only see with his eyes smile_o.gif - as in 1st person view. ArmA won`t be game for arcade lovers so i see no sense in putting 3rd view in it (but it`s gonna probably be there sad_o.gif )

I'm definetly not an an arcade lover, but I still enjoy the 3d person view in single player mode and I will keep doing so in ArmA.

i hope they make it so the aiming isnt messed up in 3rd person

The aiming isn't messed up, but since you're perspective has changed your aim is no longer accurate. Besides you're supposed to use ironsights/optics for accurate shooting, crosshairs (cursors) are accurate enough in 3rd person, as accurate as they need to be.

Third person is nice for driving, but there are some things I don't like about it. For example, if third person is enabled, no one uses the hatches on the tanks, since in third person they can see perfectly. If third person was disabled by default in multiplayer, I think it would make people actually use some of the features. I also hate when people in tanks use third person and I am on foot, because they have 270 degree vision without poping the hatch. I rarely see people using the hatch since 3rd person is allowed.

We had this discussion before in another thread.

You cannot have third person with precise aim, basically because if you are aiming at a target, the camera would move behind the doldiers head all the time, resulting in that u cannot see what u aiming at.

Ok, third person view is not possible in real life, but our vision isn't so limited in real life either. 3rd person was a convenient way of improving our peripheral vision and getting an idea of our position in relation to people and objects around us, which is easier to do in real life than in a 1st person game view. Of course, veteran mode allowed us to turn it off if we were feeling hardcore. Right on.

And anyway, this isn't VBS or anything! If you don't like 3rd person, don't use it. Always the option to turn it off, and even in the impossible case that there isn't, keep your finger off the button! Multiplapper (Misspelling intentional) will still have the server deciding if 3rd person is allowed or not (Presumably), so quit your worrying about it tounge2.gif !

And anyway, this isn't VBS or anything! If you don't like 3rd person, don't use it. Always the option to turn it off, and even in the impossible case that there isn't, keep your finger off the button! Multiplapper (Misspelling intentional) will still have the server deciding if 3rd person is allowed or not (Presumably), so quit your worrying about it tounge2.gif !

good point, it is good to have the option, the more the better!