Sign in to follow this  

Comp advice

Does any1 know a good graphics card that is silent (passive cooled). I have a top-price of $550 and it need to be PCI-E.

I have seen "Asus geforce something 7800" - is it any good? Are there others that you can recomment me?

Im getting a amd 64 2.2 ghz if you need that information.

Thanks

I think you are reffering to the GeForce 7800GT, there are several manufacturers that make passively cooled GPUs. The 7800GT is very good, but why does it have to be a a passively cooled one? For $500 you could get a top of the range GPU (like a X1900XTX) and buy a quiet fan for it smile_o.gif

Okay ive got a small list not final and things will most likely be added.

But what ive chosen

AMD Athlon64 X2 4200 512K CPU - Å210

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=18245

Asrock 939Dual SATA2 Mobo - Å34.87

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=19120

Corsair 1GB XMS3200 DDR SDRAM - Å62.89

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=15830

460W X-Pro Super Silent PSU - Å47.25

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=10716

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO - Å11.75

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20728

Alien 2 Custom Gaming Case Black - Å29.95

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=17377

120GB Seagate Barracuda7 - Å43.19

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=14771

Total : Å428.15 - Prices are without VAT most likely will be a bit more with it.

Well thats the list so far, i dont know all the much about computers so if anyone cna be bothered to check if all will be compatible that would be greatly apreciated.

I switched to a slightly powerfuller CPU since the one ch_123 suggested was same price but lower power, i may also get a slightly less powerfull CPU.

Anyway what do you think?

I think you are reffering to the GeForce 7800GT, there are several manufacturers that make passively cooled GPUs. The 7800GT is very good, but why does it have to be a a passively cooled one? For $500 you could get a top of the range GPU (like a X1900XTX) and buy a quiet fan for it smile_o.gif

Its for a medie-center that I will use for both PC and mediecenter.

I think you are reffering to the GeForce 7800GT, there are several manufacturers that make passively cooled GPUs. The 7800GT is very good, but why does it have to be a  a passively cooled one? For $500 you could get a top of the range GPU (like a X1900XTX) and buy a quiet fan for it  smile_o.gif

Its for a medie-center that I will use for both PC and mediecenter.

Passive cooling does mean you need significant airflow inside the computer case other wise the heat will still build up and all your components will overheat.

edited my post to include links and i also added a case and a hard drive to it. Will i need a fan if so what kind would you suggest.

I also found out most things from my old computer will be staying it as a backup computer, so i wont be able to take everything out but software will still be used.

Also would you suggest windows XP or 2000?

Ive got 2000 at the moment and every computer ive gone on with XP has always been slow including our old computer schools computers and my sisters. Is that just a random coincidence or should i keep with 2000?

edited my post to include links and i also added a case and a hard drive to it. Will i need a fan if so what kind would you suggest.

I also found out most things from my old computer will be staying it as a backup computer, so i wont be able to take everything out but software will still be used.

Also would you suggest windows XP or 2000?

Ive got 2000 at the moment and every computer ive gone on with XP has always been slow including our old computer schools computers and my sisters. Is that just a random coincidence or should i keep with 2000?

If the case is in anyway decent it should have a fan with it. What case are you getting by the way? Xp should be better than 2K, more secure too.

Xp should be better than 2K, more secure too.

That's a statement I can say is possibly untrue... One of the advantages of 2000 is that, apparently, a lot of the security holes, bugs, and errors of that kind have been ironed out, as opposed to WinXP which is more popular, and therefore the most current target for hackers, spyware, malware/viruses, etc.

i think im going to get 2000 since ive already got the CD and i dont want to sepdn how ever much extra on an XP CD because my brother is also charging me for him to build this computer 10Å an hour of time spent on it crazy_o.gif

Okay updated first post with some questions and the list of parts which i plan on getting so far.

But need a few questions answering.

- Will the CPU come with a fan on it, if so does that mean i will have no need to buy the "Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO"

- What other things will be needed for my computer - keeping in mind most things from my old comp can be trasnsfered as im buying an AGP + PCI-E mobo. Im going to take the floppy drive, DVD and CD drives out of the old computer, what else will i need to buy or take out to have a totaly working computer?

- Would you recomend me chaning any of those parts with otehrs or getting rid of some of them?

- Do you reckon this will be a good computer which will be able to play most recent games with good FPS on medium settings (Aswell as OFP)

Cheers.

The original post.

Okay im buying a new computer but need advice on it.

Should i buy all the parts to suit my needs which will probaly be more expensive but will suit what i do on a comp more.

Or should i buy a complete new computer from a shop whcih will be slightly cheaper but will be hard to get what i need.

Im planning on using my Geforce 6600 GT AGP gfx card into the new computer so if i buy a complete new computer i will take out that gfx card and swap it with my 6600 card.

That also means im going to need an AGP compatible computer. Ive had a look on the net on already built comps and i havent found a good one which is AGP.

But i cna find lots of seperate parts which are AGP. Meaning it will probaly be eaiser to buy it seperate.

Ive also got no problem about having it built for me. Ive also got windows disks so no need to buy new XP or 2000. I will also have all the correct software i think so that should nock down the price a bit right?

Anyway what would you suggest?

Cheers

First off - choice of RAM is a bit odd, unless you want to overclock, woud be better off saving money and getting 'Value' RAM from good companies like Corsair, Crucial, Kingston etc. Avoid 'white-box' generic ram as its shit.

Your CPU should have a fan unless the site says its an 'OEM' model (EDIT: Checked it out, it isnt) If youre into overclocking, Id get that fan anyway.

Once you take out DVD/CD drive, and graphics, you should be good to go, unless you need Dialup modem or WLAN card.

I'd recommend a SATA disk with more capacity - you can never have too much disk space, trust me! When I got my second computer, my first though was "Wow, I'll never fill a 10GB hard drive....". Higher capacities tend not to be much more expensive.

As for the CPU, how much more cheaper is the 3800+? The difference in performance between the 4200 and 3800 isnt alot, especially if you plan on overclocking, but even if you dont, youd be better off saving the money.

An X2 3800+ with a Gigabyte and a 660GT should play most games at good speeds, though not at highest settings. Maybe in about a years time, youll probably have to upgrade the Graphics to something faster. CPU and RAM are perfect for most conceivable games. (Probably the famous last words wink_o.gif )

Well im not into overclocking and dont plan on doing so, so ill buy some different type RAM.

This seems to be the only 1Gb RAM by Corsair on the site will this be okay?

Corsair Value Select 1GB PC3200 - 46.95

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20889

We dont currently have a Dial up card or WLAN so i dont think ill be needing one of them.

Im also taking out my 10GB hard drive leaving the 30GB and 60GB in as a backup for my files.

I'll probaly go for a sloghtly higher HD then but wont be too much. Maybe this one.

160GB Seagate Barracuda7 8MB/7200 - Å44.95

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=14772

Its only a couple of extra pounds aswell.

About the CPU the 3800 is Å174.45 without VAT. Å204.98 with.

There is an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 1MB for Å273.10 and theres an AMD Athlon64 X2 4600 512K but over Å300.

Just a little selection.

Im not bothered about playing games on the highest of settings i prefer to increase performance if that means slightly less better graphics. I bought the AGP and PCIE mobo so i can update gfx card in a few years.

Cheers.

Corsair Value is what I use and its good. Regarding CPU - I'd save the Å35 and buy 3800 X2, I dont think the slight speed increase (200MHz) justifies price, and it wouldnt have any noticeable impact on gaming or indeed general performance.

How about switching the CPU for an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 1MB which will bring my total to about Å470 which is much lower then my budget so would that be more worth it?

Suppose that would be improvement, but still you wouldnt notice much difference. It depends on what you think, but if I was you Id just buy 3800 X2, it has more than enough firepower for games.

thanks alot.

I think ive got my final list now, switching CPU to 3800 X2 then.

Shall be ordering my parts ASAP. But may be upto 2months since my brother is oging back to uni this week and comes back after 2months so it will be just a pile of parts without someone who can build it. But may still buy soon since its all in stock atm.

Anyway thanks alot to all for help.

This may be an odd question, but don't you have a computer store in your area which lets you choose the individual components and assembles the computer for you? This is quite a common procedure here in the Netherlands... I got my pc this way and even after four years it's holding up.

there is a shop which builds the computer for you but you must buy from there but its way expensive its about an extra 40Å for each thing im planning on getting. So it thought better just wait for my brother saves me a bit of money.

This may be an odd question, but don't you have a computer store in your area which lets you choose the individual components and assembles the computer for you? This is quite a common procedure here in the Netherlands... I got my pc this way and even after four years it's holding up.

We have that in Ireland too, its called Dell tounge2.gif (terrible value for money)

rather than make a new thread ill jump in here (dont wanna hijack though)

currently im running the following spec

Athlon 2400xp

1gb corsair pc3200

100gb hhds (40 + 60)

Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128mb AGP(This one

Windows XP Pro SP2

Gigabyte GNXXX (cant remeber the exact model number off hand)

its an okish machine but its not really perfroming for me in newer games, im feeling let down by the processor, now i could hop on ebay and buy a 3200xp for about the 90 quid mark or i could invest in a new mobo and cpu and go 64bit for about 50 quid more.

ive been toying with the idea of a Athlon 64 3200+ and a gigabyte K8nSC as that mobo has agp support, but then i figured my 9800 aint gonna be much use in the not to distant future and i will inevitbly want a pci-e card.

just wondering what other options i have or what you think is possibly the best course of action to take as im in a bit of a quandary (sp) and my head starts to hurt

hi, i upgrade my pc`s using this site.

scan uk

they have advice on entry level and optimum gaming pcs and they have a breakdown on cpu mobo gfx prices .etc. personally i would wait unit arma (if thats your intention). comes out and see what min specs will be, then get a rough estimate at that site and then compare on e-bay. etc. there are prolly cheaper sites , but always good to get a full guide price and then compare , rahter than , cpu from here mobo from there and etc etc.

hope it helps

rather than make a new thread ill jump in here (dont wanna hijack though)

currently im running the following spec

Athlon 2400xp

1gb corsair pc3200

100gb hhds (40 + 60)

Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128mb AGP(This one

Windows XP Pro SP2

Gigabyte GNXXX (cant remeber the exact model number off hand)

its an okish machine but its not really perfroming for me in newer games, im feeling let down by the processor, now i could hop on ebay and buy a 3200xp for about the 90 quid mark or i could invest in a new mobo and cpu and go 64bit for about 50 quid more.

ive been toying with the idea of a Athlon 64 3200+ and a gigabyte K8nSC as that mobo has agp support, but then i figured my 9800 aint gonna be much use in the not to distant future and i will inevitbly want a pci-e card.

just wondering what other options i have or what you think is possibly the best course of action to take as im in a bit of a quandary (sp) and my head starts to hurt

The Athlon 64 is by far a better investment. You have a few options in regards to graphics -

1) Buy an AGP s939 motherboard and hope that you'll be able to live off AGP graphics cards until you need a new CPU/motherboard (not recommended)

2) Buy an AGP/PCIE mobo (look on first page, 456820 choice of motherboard). Good option as it is a good motherboard.

3) Ditch the Radeon and get a 7600GT and a PCI-E only motherboard. Probably the best as the 9800 Pro is starting to hit the end of its useful life. 7600GT is about €230 (not sure how much it is in pounds, but look around)

im still looking into prices and what not, i cant afford to upgrade my graphics card just yet so itll just be the mobo and cpu

i have decided on the asrock 939dual as it has both agp and pci-e for futer upgrades, and the amd64 3200+ venice (retail)

best prices so far are both at www.aria.co.uk for 40.19 and 99.82 respectivley

i will endevour to carry on searching for the best prices as we all love our bargains

and to off set the costs ill stick my mobo and cpu on ebay smile_o.gif

i have decided on the asrock 939dual as it has both agp and pci-e for futer upgrades, and the amd64 3200+ venice (retail)

Just wait till you have enough money for a new gfx adapter too and avoid those hybrid messes.

Just wait till you have enough money for a new gfx adapter too and avoid those hybrid messes.

True, and if you can live with an old Radeon 9800, Im sure you can live with an Athlon XP for a little while longer