160GB Seagate Barracuda7 8MB/7200 - Å44.95

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=14772

3Ë" Black Floppy Drive - Å4.50

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=2436

Samsung 52x52x32 x16 - Å17.60

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=16190

Total : Items changed not bothered to work out the total yet

But need a few questions answering.

- Will the CPU come with a fan on it, if so does that mean i will have no need to buy the "Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO"

- What other things will be needed for my computer - keeping in mind most things from my old comp can be trasnsfered as im buying an AGP + PCI-E mobo. Im going to take the floppy drive, DVD and CD drives out of the old computer, what else will i need to buy or take out to have a totaly working computer?

- Would you recomend me chaning any of those parts with otehrs or getting rid of some of them?

- Do you reckon this will be a good computer which will be able to play most recent games with good FPS on medium settings (Aswell as OFP)

Cheers.

The original post.

Okay im buying a new computer but need advice on it.

Should i buy all the parts to suit my needs which will probaly be more expensive but will suit what i do on a comp more.

Or should i buy a complete new computer from a shop whcih will be slightly cheaper but will be hard to get what i need.

Im planning on using my Geforce 6600 GT AGP gfx card into the new computer so if i buy a complete new computer i will take out that gfx card and swap it with my 6600 card.

That also means im going to need an AGP compatible computer. Ive had a look on the net on already built comps and i havent found a good one which is AGP.

But i cna find lots of seperate parts which are AGP. Meaning it will probaly be eaiser to buy it seperate.

Ive also got no problem about having it built for me. Ive also got windows disks so no need to buy new XP or 2000. I will also have all the correct software i think so that should nock down the price a bit right?

Anyway what would you suggest?

Cheers

Despite the fact you have a good AGP card, I recommend not getting an AGP computer.

It's going to be old and outdated even though it's brand new because all newer motherboards are PCI-Express and in 2 years you'll probably be lucky to even see them anymore.

In fact, in 2 years you'll probably be regretting not having purchased a board that has it.

Perhaps selling the card off to a friend or relative?

I'm going to ask you a couple of questions, you answer them and I will give you a link for ever product that you want to buy. (A whole computer)

How much do you want to spend?

What are the capabilities do you want your computer to do?

Do you also want a Monitor if so CRT or Flat Panel?

Printer/Scanner?

im willing to spend around 600Å for a computer or around that margain.

I want the computer for gaming, we do plan on getting a TV card so we can record onto DVD i think i also want it for internet etc etc that kind of stuff.

Nothing else i have a monitor, speakers, scanner, two printers a black and white laser and a normal colour one.

Oh yeah im also British if that makes a difference and i would not like to buy from a broad.

Cheers

You should sell off the AGP card to someone who still has an AGP mobo and buy a PCI one. If you know what you are doing then go for buying parts individually, pre-assembled comps can be pretty good too but that depends on who you get them from.

Hi,

I have some PC related questions too and I thought it might be a good idea asking them here instead of creating a whole new thread.

1. Is a PCI-E 7900GT faster then a PCI-E 6800GT?

2. I want an intell CPU (not interested in AMD sales pitch thanks). what do I need to look for in a socket 775 CPU? ATM I am thinking about getting a Intel PentiumD 930 3.0GHz 4Mb. does that suck enormously?

1. Is a PCI-E 7900GT faster then a PCI-E 6800GT?

Yes.

Im planning on using my Geforce 6600 GT AGP gfx card into the new computer so if i buy a complete new computer i will take out that gfx card and swap it with my 6600 card.

Ive also got no problem about having it built for me. Ive also got windows disks so no need to buy new XP or 2000.

Anyway what would you suggest?

Cheers

My 6600GT AGP was my only DX9 card and will do fine untill DX10, i could build a new pc now but imo it would be throwing money out the window wink_o.gif .

Dont waste money on a new AGP PC, you wont be able to upgrade in the near future, better keep on saving untill next year biggrin_o.gif .

2. I want an intell CPU (not interested in AMD sales pitch thanks). what do I need to look for in a socket 775 CPU? ATM I am thinking about getting a Intel PentiumD 930 3.0GHz 4Mb. does that suck enormously?

You need to look for a s775 MoBo, and maybe some extra cooling if you want really good performance. And, no, that is a good CPU.

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I want an intell CPU (not interested in AMD sales pitch thanks). what do I need to look for in a socket 775 CPU? ATM I am thinking about getting a Intel PentiumD 930 3.0GHz 4Mb. does that suck enormously?

I'm sorry but you want a gaming computer, but you don't want an AMD processor. That is retarded. AMD is the best processor for gaming, and you don't hardly an difference in doing other crap with it. But for gaming, i'm sorry but you want a AMD. 100% Positive you want an AMD

Got a question myself- finally got tired of playing certain games on low settings (FEAR, Lo-mac, ect) and decided I need to replace my Radeon 9550. I need some suggestions...I'm not necessarily looking for a top of the line monster, just something that'll get me by for now with decent graphics and performance....and it needs to be AGP. I'm thinking I'll hold out until Vista comes out before I start spending oodles of cash on a computer. That said, I do have a good friend who works at a computer store, and who can sometimes get me parts at cost smile_o.gif. I'm looking to spend about $200-250 CAD.

Quote[/b] ]I want an intell CPU (not interested in AMD sales pitch thanks). what do I need to look for in a socket 775 CPU? ATM I am thinking about getting a Intel PentiumD 930 3.0GHz 4Mb. does that suck enormously?

I'm sorry but you want a gaming computer, but you don't want an AMD processor. That is retarded. AMD is the best processor for gaming, and you don't hardly an difference in doing other crap with it. But for gaming, i'm sorry but you want a AMD. 100% Positive you want an AMD

What part of "not interested in AMD Sales pitch" didn't you understand? Way to go getting insulting just because someone doesn't agree with you. I am not looking for a gaming computer, I might game on it though, as I've been doing on my P4HT 2,6GHZ which did even the most current games without a problem. I am hoping this will atleast improve load and save times on large PSD's in photoshop. BTW by the looks of the amount of questions asked perhaps a stickied "Community PC help" topic would be a good idea smile_o.gif

BTW by the looks of the amount of questions asked perhaps a stickied "Community PC help" topic would be a good idea smile_o.gif

Already suggested it twice to the mods, yet they do'nt seem too interested. yay.gif

i got an idea

Can you buy a PCI-E and an AGP compatible mobo? (I might be wrong with the mobo making a comp PCIE or what now)

But if i can but an AGP and PCI E then i can use my current gfx card and still have a new comp (Wthout it being slightly outdated)

Also i could switch Gfx card to soemthing a bit more powerfull if i really need to if my 6600 breaks or something happens to it.

ahh...

Quote[/b] ]ive recently bought a motherboard with an AGP and a PCI EXPRESS slot for my 6800GT and ready for when I upgrade to my 7800 512, (also supports m2 cpus

Just read that so i persume i could do this idea right?

If so would a PCI E and an AGP mobo be outdated or still be new? and would it be very expensive or not

cheers

Having a PCI-E port AND an AGP port is possible. I'd know. I'm running a motherboard which supports it right now. Only problem is, I'm having trouble with my current AGP graphics card on it.

well does that mean its your mobo which is having troulbes with the AGP card or is it like this on all AGP and PCI E mobos?

Well, the graphics card works. BFG themselves certified that. I even got a new one. The AGP port on my motherboard is no doubt, at least in my mind, the AGP port. It runs all AGP cards poorly, but PCI-Express: No problems.

I'm buying a new system soon as my current one is a bit dated. I've found one I like the look of (AMD FX-60 and a pair of Nvidia 7800s on an SLi Mobo). What I want to know is: is it worth me getting the 64 bit version of WIndows XP? Will this help any games other than Far Cry? I've seen several reviews on sites like C-net and Anandtech and they just left me more confused than when I started (I think the machines are finally getting the better of me confused_o.gif)

Grateful for any help.

Ade

What I want to know is: is it worth me getting the 64 bit version of WIndows XP?

No unless you plan on getting over 4 gigs of RAM.

Thanks EiZei smile_o.gif I love simple answers.

2 gigs is plenty for me and I've heard about all sorts of driver trouble with XP64 so that's a relief.

Cheers,

Ade

@ Tovarish: Probably the best thing you can get for the AGP in terms of performance/value ratio is the 6800GS. Im not sure how much 250 Canadian Dollars is worth, but if a 6800GS is too much - then you should look at a X800GT/GTO or finally, a 6600GT

@ Supah: The 7900GT is marginally faster than a 7800GT, theyre basically the same thing, except the 7900 chip is smaller and is clocked slightly higher.

I was wondering why you wouldnt want an AMD until you mentioned the PS, yeah - the Pentium D 920 or 930 is much better than a 2.6GHz P4 for that task. AMDs dualcores are faster, but twice the price, so the Pentium D is good, unless you want to wait till Intel releases its new wonder-chip later on this year.

@ 456820: You can get AGP/PCI-E mobos for the Athlon 64, see - ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 its meant to be good. You can get one off scan.co.uk for Å46.40 Take a look on Komplett.co.uk, very good prices -

Athlon 64 3800 X2+ -> Å205

Corsair Value 1GB Matched -> Å60

Samsung Spinpoint P120S 250GB HD -> Å65

NEC 3550A DVD/RW Drive -> Å30

Coolermaster Centurion 530 w/ 380W PSU -> Å62

Club3D TV Tuner -> Å39

(Plus Asrock Mobo for Å46.40)

Total: Å507.40 (not inc. shipping)

Wow...The things I do when Im suffering from Insomnia.....

huh.gif

@ Tovarish: Probably the best thing you can get for the AGP in terms of performance/value ratio is the 6800GS. Im not sure how much 250 Canadian Dollars is worth, but if a 6800GS is too much - then you should look at a X800GT/GTO or finally, a 6600GT

Thanks smile_o.gif. I've already gotten myself a Radeon X700 pro for $199 CAD. (and that was $100 off regular price) . I've also gone and upped my ram to 1GB from 768mb, and a P4 3.0 Ghz is being shipped to me to replace my 2.6 Ghz celeron, but these two last items were purchased with "friend prices" smile_o.gif.

Well I got the bloody thing to work after a lot of trying, stear clear of the ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe motherboards people. overly complex POS smile_o.gif Now to get more RAM because 512 isnt all that much wink_o.gif Stupid store didn't carry more. I got a 7800GTX at a bargain price in the end. I've yet to test it with some gaming. Also got 2 300GB S-ATA II 8mb cache HDD's. It's running quite nicely!

thanks alot ch_123 ill take a look further into those products and see what sites may be cheaper cheers

thanks alot ch_123 ill take a look further into those products and see what sites may be cheaper cheers

No problemo - btw, the Club3D was the only reasonably priced TV tuner on Komplett - other sites may have better ones.

EDIT: gave you the wrong mobo link, this is the correct one - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=291356