Sign in to follow this  
deanosbeano

will you play co op or ctf etc

I'll definitely be looking forward to co-op. Assuming we get our staff built back up, FCM will be up and running again to give teams the ability to compete for the highest score in co-op missions. BTW if you're a talented co-op mission developer and are interested in joining the staff be sure to visit our website found in my sig for more info. That goes for teams who are interested in particpating as well. We're currently finished with OFP, but our previous match missions are available for download in the forums.

I'm also looking forward to realism based adveserial missions. I've been working on some new game-types, but lost interest in finishing them when the player base started to dry up. I'll most likely finish them up when Armed Assault gets released.

ctf? wtf?

i'd play it if it was capture the documents or something. but flag? no way.

I don`t know why u guys love so much co-op and single player. What`s so exciting in playing against stupid Artificial Intelligence? Isn`t it better to play against good human beings opponents, which can think, plan, act.

Trying to find 64 people who can think, plan, and act is the key.

I agree w/ GBee. Any game w/o any scripted AI is basically a variation of team deathmatch. I could only see that if there were two teams that had good strict standards and there was no 'respawn' would it equal any high level of realism. Coop is the compromise of both worlds. CTI and CTF are far from realistic military behavior, but that is because they are different goals which require different strategy. In coop a good campaign designer can atleast simulate lapses in time and the requirement for things such as rest, logistics, and long-term goals (not to mention much better AI). CTI and CTF are short-term. It is literally like two teams of robots attacking each other, albiet with humans behind the controls. Where's the innocent civilians? the lazy platoons? the soldiers that aren't directly in the battle such as logistical convoys and the paper-pushers?

Bear in mind coop has it's flaws, but it's alot easier for a small group to work with them and not let it affect proper gameplay. Whereas a larger group, it is easier for someone to take advantage of them and bend the rules of realism.

I have never done much C&H but i can see a variation of this has a decent adversarial mode, with a big enough area to hold so people move around searching for the oponent. They could make things feel more authentic like making the C&H area a crash site or a really good strategic location, areas both teams would have to secure and hold for a good enough reason.

A retrieval mode would be my favorite adversarial one inlove.gif . 2 teams and one realistic objective randomly placed wink_o.gif .

Both teams would have to recover the black box of a crashed plane/jet, blow up the plane and extract.

Could be played has adversarial, coop or even adversarial coop.

I think that would be one game type that would fit in arma, BIS themselves made some crappy MP maps with a bunch of vehicals and ammo crates throwned at the respawn areas and a flag somewhere in the middle, that stuff is just too gameish... thats why people prefer coop, because of the teamplay and realism.

I agree w/ GBee. Any game w/o any scripted AI is basically a variation of team deathmatch. I could only see that if there were two teams that had good strict standards and there was no 'respawn' would it equal any high level of realism. Coop is the compromise of both worlds. CTI and CTF are far from realistic military behavior, but that is because they are different goals which require different strategy. In coop a good campaign designer can atleast simulate lapses in time and the requirement for things such as rest, logistics, and long-term goals (not to mention much better AI). CTI and CTF are short-term. It is literally like two teams of robots attacking each other, albiet with humans behind the controls. Where's the innocent civilians? the lazy platoons? the soldiers that aren't directly in the battle such as logistical convoys and the paper-pushers?

Bear in mind coop has it's flaws, but it's alot easier for a small group to work with them and not let it affect proper gameplay. Whereas a larger group, it is easier for someone to take advantage of them and bend the rules of realism.

I do'nt know about you but there's a mode called "attack/defend" (AD) in which team A defends a target and team B attacks and there is no respawn. While still pretty far from "real" tactics it does make players much more careful when dying means waiting nearly 30 minutes. We often play these kinds of missions on LDD Kyllikki server.

I certainly will play co-op, still my favourite, some CTI could be nice aswell. I wonder what other multiplayer modes BIS will have put in. I'm always open for new things smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I will coop my head off at the CiA server. I will also play CTF, DM, TDM, CTI etc etc if I can find any decent public servers for those game modes.

Coop is great with tuff missions and good teamwork.

Team v Teams is good with good teamwor.

In both cases, no respawns is the best way too mimic real life action. Players will value life, and wont run'n'gun in the fear they'll have to 'watch' the action for 15 minutes.

Quote[/b] ]I don`t know why u guys love so much co-op and single player. What`s so exciting in playing against stupid Artificial Intelligence? Isn`t it better to play against good human beings opponents, which can think, plan, act.

I don`t know why you guys love so much Deathmatch and CTF. What`s so exciting in playing against humans that lack any intelligence? Isn`t it better to play against AI that simulate opponents which can think, plan, act?  

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]ctf? wtf?

i'd play it if it was capture the documents or something. but flag? no way.

I agree, a flag holds no strategic importance. I'm more into immersion and the idea of an opereration that's end goal is to repeatedly steal bolts of fabric from the enemy just seems silly and it kills the immersion.

Co op for me is an immersive experience. I mean there is nothing more immersive than working together as a team against an organized opposing force made up of patrols, camps, convoys and such. Adversarial always feels like quake to me, it's usually just an unrestrained riot with silly objectives.

My final comment I'll make is that I'm not into respawn at all. To me respawn is one step from god mode. It kills the challenge and immersion and removes any penalty for death. With no penalty for death you get the quake effect, which is utter chaos and a complete lack of a command structure or any semblance of strategy.

In the end I say to each his own, but single player followed by co op are my personal preference.

co-op all the way icon1.gif.

No respawn! and join in progress in some limited way.

Ill play any thing, but i really like some of the more unusuall missions that pop up from time to time, like cops and robber,hunt the serial killer, zombie survival (iv made a few wink_o.gif ) etc... I really enjoy stuff like that.

co-op all the way icon1.gif.

No respawn! and join in progress in some limited way.

as one of the the die hard coop fans, thats what we all think about  notworthy.gif

AIs aint that stupid at all wink_o.gif

75% of ppl that will buy ArmA will buy it for the SP campaign and won`t ever play it online.

I agree whole-heartedly. MP without AI is deathmatch. Even if a game allowed for 200 players (the amount of AI I play with) How often would you find a game of that size. with a good ping, and good players? It will probably take forever to get into it. And like it has been said many times before, human players play like they're the Terminator. They want to die and respawn as quick as possible while racking up the "kills".

There was a paintball game between US Army cadets and a champion paintball team and the paintballers destroyed the cadets because the ballers had no reguard for their own life-- because they couldn't die. No amount of training or tactics can defend itself from super-beings.

The people that HATE having any AI wants only to bragg about kills only and is NOT playing for the enjoying experience of being in the game. There cannot be any other reason.

--Ben

I do'nt know about you but there's a mode called "attack/defend" (AD) in which team A defends a target and team B attacks and there is no respawn. While still pretty far from "real" tactics it does make players much more careful when dying means waiting nearly 30 minutes. We often play these kinds of missions on LDD Kyllikki server.

Oh I've certainly played those before. They are pretty fun.

However, it still lacks a significant amount of realism because the two teams are prepared significantly in knowing roughly when, where, and who will be attacking.

Most modern attacks shoot for either the element of surprise or outnumbering of the defenders. In addition, a defended base isn't comprised solely of a group of soldiers fully armed and ready for battle with their eyes peeled - watching for every pixel movement unless some extreme circumstances allow for it. Most defended bases have numerous support personnel who are usually no where near prepared for an attack, also the defending soldiers might have limited supplies due to earlier probing attacks.

In reality, no one mode is going to simulate the enormous possibilities of an attack/defend scenario, but atleast a scripted mission could account for most of them despite the replayability is generally lower.

I would *love* if there were unscripted and dynamic campaigns that allowed for any player to join any side at any time complete w/ intelligent AI and focus on a large realistic war. Over at SOW, we're working towards it. However, if people start thinking of it in terms of a Mass-MP game, then you will still have guys looking to be the A1 commando w/ the most kills and it becomes a persistant tourney. In reality, a good system to help provide better realism would be one that focuses on the overall goals and downplays individualism*. The only way to thoroughly dillute individualism is to increase the number of bodies and activity by adding decent AI.

Note: individualism doesn't imply a single person only. It could be a small group that acts as one entity such as clans/squads within a large public server.

The people that HATE having any AI wants only to bragg about kills only and is NOT playing for the enjoying experience of being in the game. There cannot be any other reason.

Can you stop the profiling here?

So you prefer Coops with AI. Good for you. We get the picture.

But no need to get all chauvinistic over CTF-ers for it.

You don`t know a first thing about them anyway apparently.

Aaaand it goes down-hill from here.. confused_o.gif

We all like a certain mode of play (some very much).  Lets be mature about it and get away from misunderstandings, pride, and accept that everyone's different. m'kay?  wink_o.gif

Well Zerg if you don't hate AI then apparently I wasn't reffering to you. If you like CTF WITH AI sometimes, then you are NOT who I was profiling. Don't be so defensive. I've met plenty a player that, if there are three humans in a game, they will quit if you even add one AI to even it out.

--Ben

For me , its CTI and everything that will be connected with killing other players ( exept for CTF , cos CTF is gay )

I'll definately try out the t vs t MP type gametypes but i'm mainly looking forward to a solid SP campaign and the great coop gameplay. (as well as excellent fan made addons)

glad to see a lot of co -op people still around, i dont want to hang on the switchmove thing , cause its purespeculation, but it would worry me "if" it was compulsory. anyway thanks for all who voted,i have faith that arma will be full of like minded co op people like myself andthe odd ct? .

I don`t know why u guys love so much co-op and single player. What`s so exciting in playing against stupid Artificial Intelligence? Isn`t it better to play against good human beings opponents, which can think, plan, act.

The best mode would be something like:

2 teams - 32 vs 32 players or even more (60vs60 smile_o.gif ) and everyone controls 1 unit, 1 action (one player is shoter in vehicle, other is driver) + cti mode (money for capturing flags/towns) but without possibility to buy AI. Only human beings vs human beings.

I would agree with you, but the problem is they (humans playing CTF, CTI) DON'T plan or think, they're just a bunch of happy-triggers running in circles after each others. tounge2.gif

I played Operation Flashpoint for years and I don't remember the times I had a good old battle except in Coop.

I believe players playing Coop are more mature and serious while having fun (no offense).

I will buy Armed Assault for single player missions (and mission editor) and to play Coop with good friends. smile_o.gif

And I'm glad to see they're still a lot of Coop players!