Sign in to follow this  
brataccas

ofp.info Interviews BIS (many unseen pics!)

...hummmm mad_o.gif ...but now...i realize that i don´t see the shadow of the tree...the helo is there banghead.gif

Thanks so much for this ofp.info and BIS, I'm very happy to see that shader question asked & answered. Also the reflections make me happy as well smile_o.gif

Anyone else notice the downed helo in this pic... under the tree?

http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/gallery....t02.jpg Also does anyone else think that the gun on that humvee looks more like a grenade launcher than a 50 cal?

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/ArmA_Progress_11.jpg That light isn't from the sun unless it is dawn or dusk. Look at the angle it is at. Its possible its the light from a rocket or explosion.

Personally I don't think the graphics are all that great but they are a step forward. Who the hell plays this game for the graphics and not the gameplay anyway? (I still play on Everon every chance I get)

That's not sunlight, but a flash from an explosion or a muzzle flash. Look at the shadows of the barrels of the tank cast on it's body, they go perpendicular to the light source on the side of the tank. Those are the ambient light shadows, so the bright light is from another source. Notice only part of the turret is lit, but the whole side of the lower part of the tank is reflecting light. Definitely not ambient light there.

I hate to repeat myself on the forum with every new interview being released,but why the hell is this tank almost completly white on its side

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/ArmA_Progress_11.jpg

Now I know,Im probably completly wrong about this and i bet people can find hundreds of pics to tell me better,but the whole lightning and reflection thing still feels very very wrong(Too much if you want to have it detailed).

As the game will support difuse maps(?) etc. it might be that they haven't been made for that model yet or that they have been added but it's still unedited, hence it might reflect the maximum amount of light.

That tank is obviously still very much WIP.

maybe its a good thing?

"so the day is saved again thx to the powerful addonmakers" rofl.gif

When i was watching screens relaeased till now i didn't expect much from ArmA. But strangely a have just the opposite impresions about the interview to majority of people on this forum. As my main concern is not the graphics i think that for example this quotation is very nice:

Quote[/b] ] A much easier squad control system is currently under development. It means no more pressing numbers in a complicated commanding structure. We are aiming to implement a "simple as possible" control scheme in the game, but we still want to retain all (or almost all) of the commanding / controlling possibilities from the original title.

those are promising too:

Movement

Quote[/b] ]

We are currently implementing climbing over certain obstacles, but there will be no "CS style" jumping.

Animations

Quote[/b] ]

The complete animation model is changed in ArmA and there are many more animations than were seen in OFP.

the one about AI is a bit dissappointing:

Quote[/b] ]

We are working hard on improving "individual" AI and some of these things are currently in testing. To tell the truth, some of these elements were already implemented in OFP, so now we just took them, cleaned them up and balanced them a bit to take into account the much more detailed environment we have in ArmA.

And what can i say about the graphics? ArmA is supposed to brnig mostly engine improvements. For now without messing with the engine, just by modding the existing one INV44 team made much nicer graphics than we can see on ArmA screens.

Yea, but the trees should cast shadows too.

It wil all be done untill ARMA comes out. wink_o.gif

Whatever feature ArmA has or not has.....

When I get a OFP which say's "hello" to modern hardware and runs with nice fps at HIGH viewdistances(ever played CTI with 2000+ vd?) and has a join in progress feature for MP I will be happy with it.

Face it, there is no other game on the market/in the making for us freaks.

ArmA will be OUR game, with or without: multi-gunner, swimming-feature, co-pilot, piss on a tree feature and all the other stuff ppl think MUST be in a game to be unique.

---

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Oh boy, for the first time in my life this smiley looks like the one to use: notworthy.gif

ArmA will be OUR game, with or without multi-gunner, swimming-feature, co-pilot, piss on a tree feature and all the other stuff ppl think MUST be in a game to be unique.

swimming and pissing on a tree can be scripted. however, Multiple gunners, the thing we've been begging for for four years, STILL hasn't been confirmed.

Considering OFP's mascotte is a BMP, a vehicle that almost symbolised multiple gunners, it's a bit unfair too tounge2.gif .

BUZZARD @ Mar. 04 2006,04:18)]
@ Mar. 04 2006,02:33)]I think it looks fairly good, althought i´m a bit disappointed that swimming won´t be implemented.

No swimming or jumping... Guess Itweas will have to create or port his ninja over to ArmA... rofl.gifyay.gif

I don't think it will be that easy anymore with 3d waves in the sea, but yea civies should be able to swin :P.

Rock in the middle of city?!?  crazy_o.gif  That looks very strangely to me.

The Rock is there for ~60million years, the city ~60 years.

MfG Lee tounge2.gif

Group: Members

Posted: Mar. 04 2006,07:21

That's not sunlight, but a flash from an explosion or a muzzle flash. Look at the shadows of the barrels of the tank cast on it's body, they go perpendicular to the light source on the side of the tank. Those are the ambient light shadows, so the bright light is from another source. Notice only part of the turret is lit, but the whole side of the lower part of the tank is reflecting light. Definitely not ambient light there.

i love this man tounge2.gif

Rock in the middle of city?!?  crazy_o.gif  That looks very strangely to me.

The Rock is there for ~60million years, the city ~60 years.

MfG Lee tounge2.gif

Yes it could be a famus rock, just like you get old trees in the middle of towns/villages  biggrin_o.gif

nice interview, some good questions, answers very political smile_o.gif. (as you would expect with a w.i.p). nothing really new in it ,but they did ask the questions a couple of months ago. still its new and a couple of new screenies .

just one thing i dont like about the way arma is handled.magazines and websites can ask all the questions they like and get answers,, but the community (the people who bye and play the game , get this hmmmm

and this

i know bis ,have good support for games and i dont call that at all, but i hope there is a little more openness when the arma community arrives and begins to expand. just my point of view.maybe more of these would be better

Did you guys notice that the soldier mounted in the hummer doesnt cast shadow on the wall neither as well? (same pic as with downed chopper).

Anyway, we have allready been told that the AI will have new features such as flanking, consider enemy size before attacking etc.

Quote[/b] ]Did you guys notice that the soldier mounted in the hummer doesnt cast shadow on the wall neither as well? (same pic as with downed chopper).

True, the pic of the truck in the forest has some trees further back not casting shadows either. But then, BIS maybe simply havn't got around to implementing certain units, or maybe the Level of Detail can be increased to include more shadows, much like DXDLL reflections.

those are promising too:

Animations

Quote[/b] ]

The complete animation model is changed in ArmA and there are many more animations than were seen in OFP.

The only real improvement they could make in terms of animation is animations based on a skeleton structure. Extending the current selection based system is a dead end and sounds so 2001-ish. confused_o.gif