Sign in to follow this  
Footmunch

Su-33 Navalised Flanker

Damned good plane. I found the anti-ship missile's a little weak. they cant even sink the lst. but is easily sorted. as mentioned some working gauges would be nice. appart from that seems pretty solid so far. Another great plane dude biggrin_o.gif

Damned good plane. I found the anti-ship missile's a little weak. they cant even sink the lst. but is easily sorted. as mentioned some working gauges would be nice. appart from that seems pretty solid so far. Another great plane dude biggrin_o.gif

The LST actually has loads of armour in OFP, if I remember correctly

Great plane but it isnt solid, I can walk right through it.

Also, my biggest complaint, as with all of Footmunchs planes, is no working guages.  With the short view distances of OFP it really helps to have guages to let you know if your losing altitude or how fast you are going.

The guages you get in BIS aircraft are there. Other than a couple of addons which had a decent attempt for a HUD (like the DKM MI-28), this is as good as it gets in OFP

Yeah theyre there....but they dont move, theres no needle on them, they are non-functioning. Take a look....

As for the Hud Footmunch usually implements one after further betas are released, so I would presume that he is going to add it to this plane in the future.

Just tried it. Very good toy, but don't give it to the AI. Can't hit anything with Kh-31. It is an anti-ship missile and I tried it against the M1A2's, so maybe that's why. Even when I fly it, it takes some good aiming to hit a target with Kh-31. However the bomber version is great. Many bombers in OFP release 2 bombs at the target even when 1 would do the job. Hated it when the AI did it! This Su-33 only released 1 bomb at a time, and even the unguided rockets almost all found the targets (unusuall for OFP). Imo, it could use a better radar too, kind of the same problem you had with the Tu-22M (btw, are you gonna update that thing?) Very much awaited addition to the OFP family. Great model, very good handling (I like that it doesn't loose much speed on turns), Overall, great work FM, thanks a lot man. Cheers.

don't expect too much from Kh-31, Su-33 real anti ship missile is the one best there is in the world, moskit, it can carry one one moskit, but it's range, warhead are too great for comparing it with harpoon smile_o.gif

MP missions? i'm interested...

After several days of playing with it, I think that Su-33 needs to be more manuverable. This is suppose to be the most manuverable plane in the world, but in the game I get outmanuvered pretty much by every western plane. Just tried it against the Ikar's F-14, I can't even see him on my radar, but F-14 keeps firing from somewhere behind me! I fixed the radar problem (increased it in the config). Now I need to know how do I increase the manuverability in the config. Someone help please.

Quote[/b] ]

This is suppose to be the most manuverable plane in the world...

huh.gif

Look for a value in the config for these values:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

brakeDistance=65;

aileronSensitivity = 0.6;

elevatorSensitivity = 1.5;

wheelSteeringSensitivity = 3.0;

noseDownCoef = 0.2;

flapsFrictionCoef = 1.2;

ElevatorSensitivity will adjust how quickly you can turn and by how much, but beware - this can result in much more energy bleed.

Quote[/b] ]This is suppose to be the most manuverable plane in the world...

Reallly? confused_o.gif

A more detailed overview:

Pros:

- Pretty much the only proper carrier fighter availible right now for Kuznetsov.

- Looks amazingly gorgeous - worth keeping around on that fact alone.

- Plenty of AAMs for almost any form of aerial engagement.

- ASMs will give any Nimitz crewmen some trouble.

Cons:

- Key based airbrakes and afterburners won't work with throttle + stick, couldn't engage afterburners with either E or S keys - turned on brakes with both key presses.

- Some minor realism issues with ASM and bomber loadouts (some hardpoints not designed for bombs, no defensive AAMs).

- Main gear retracts with a clipping issue, goes right through engine nacelles.

- Cockpit is purely static.

- Roll rate seems almost uncontrollable with joystick.

Cons:

- Key based airbrakes and afterburners won't work with throttle + stick, couldn't engage afterburners with either E or S keys - turned on brakes with both key presses.

- Some minor realism issues with ASM and bomber loadouts (some hardpoints not designed for bombs, no defensive AAMs).

- Main gear retracts with a clipping issue, goes right through engine nacelles.

- Cockpit is purely static.

- Roll rate seems almost uncontrollable with joystick.

The only issue I have with using my joystick for this aircraft, is that I can't use afterburner with my throttle, or break, which is a big nono, because I don't want to be reaching across my desk to my keyboard to start afterburner or break at a critical point crazy_o.gif

I have a question. Do You have some plans of makeing the SU-30 and SU-34? This are a great jets and I am wonder if You would like to make them

Guest RKSL-Rock
The only issue I have with using my joystick for this aircraft, is that I can't use afterburner with my throttle, or break, which is a big nono, because I don't want to be reaching across my desk to my keyboard to start afterburner or break at a critical point  crazy_o.gif

You are going to hate my Harrier then...

Getting back to the point... I use a Cougar HOTAS, like a lot of sticks its programable so with a little effort for me its not a problem. The same goes for X45/36 users and most of the mid to high end joysticks...so no problem there (if you program them properly).

Now if you have a DirectX compatible joystick you should atleast be able to map a button to the E key and one for the S key very easily in your control options in the game.

If your joystick isnt DirectX compatible...go plug it back in your Atari Console and spend Å10/$16 on one that is. This really isnt a fault or limitation of Footmunch's plane its one of the controller you use.

Personally anything that takes things out of the Action Menu is a good thing in my book.

Personally anything that takes things out of the Action Menu is a good thing in my book.

spot on smile_o.gif

The only issue I have with using my joystick for this aircraft, is that I can't use afterburner with my throttle, or break, which is a big nono, because I don't want to be reaching across my desk to my keyboard to start afterburner or break at a critical point crazy_o.gif

You are going to hate my Harrier then...

Getting back to the point... I use a Cougar HOTAS, like a lot of sticks its programable so with a little effort for me its not a problem. The same goes for X45/36 users and most of the mid to high end joysticks...so no problem there (if you program them properly).

Now if you have a DirectX compatible joystick you should atleast be able to map a button to the E key and one for the S key very easily in your control options in the game.

If your joystick isnt DirectX compatible...go plug it back in your Atari Console and spend Å10/$16 on one that is. This really isnt a fault or limitation of Footmunch's plane its one of the controller you use.

Well I use an MS Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick, which has 8 buttons. Every button is mapped, I can use the action menu from the joystick. I don't have a problem activating afterburner from action menu, as it's just the reach of my thumb away, as opposed to the reach of my arm away (joystick to keyboard)... wink_o.gif

I think the argument you're trying to make for HOTAS is the exact opposite: I'd expect this setup to be much easier for those who have a simple joystick and must use the keyboard for speed and brakes.

There's also a flip side: with HOTAS, you can browse through the action menu on the fly without much trouble.

Quote[/b] ]

I'll agree with that.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Getting back to the point... I use a Cougar HOTAS, like a lot of sticks its programable so with a little effort for me its not a problem.  The same goes for X45/36 users and most of the mid to high end joysticks...so no problem there (if you program them properly).

I think the argument you're trying to make for HOTAS is the exact opposite: I'd expect this setup to be much easier for those who have a simple joystick and must use the keyboard for speed and brakes.

There's also a flip side: with HOTAS, you can browse through the action menu on the fly without much trouble.

Quote[/b] ]

I'll agree with that.

I think you've missed the point. Some people were complaining about not being able to use the plane with a joystick or throttle. Since its really only a matter of mapping a button to the control options its irrelevant.

As for the HOTAS/X45 or any other programable stick - if you are willing to setup the sticks properly it makes no difference. Your earlier comment seemed to suggest that it would not work with a joystick throttle combo. I merely suggested a work around.

As for HOTAS, my own program maps the throttle as digital inputs and uses the last detant as the E key and a swtich as the S for airbrakes. It just a matter of taking the time to setup your controls ...as i said before, its not an issue with the addon.

Quote[/b] ]

I think you've missed the point. Some people were complaining about not being able to use the plane with a joystick or throttle. Since its really only a matter of mapping a button to the control options its irrelevant.

I don't recall seeing anything about not being able to use the addon with a joystick. In my instance, I only commented that functionality appears to be reduced *out of the box*.

Quote[/b] ]

As for the HOTAS/X45 or any other programable stick...

So I should be forced to change my control setup just for one addon? huh.gif

I'm also finding the key script very buggy. Often times pressing E,W, or UP all engage the airbrake in addition to the normal S, leading to a gradual decline to stall speed and a plummet into the ground.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic addon, but the buggy key script renders it almost useless for carrier takeoffs which is a real shame.

Guest RKSL-Rock
So I should be forced to change my control setup just for one addon?  huh.gif

It a matter of choice – its hardly a huge task to change a key mapping either in game or with the most programmable joystick loaders.

No one is forcing you to use this addon and i think the majority will be happy to have the key mapping (when it works properly) rater than the clunky AM.  I see this as progress not something to be complained about.

As for out of the box functionality remember this is still very much a beta.  I’m sure with all the comments in this thread Footmunch will correct any problem you seem to have.

<EDIT>

I've just spent the last 15 mins trying to get the scritps to fail as described above. With the key mapping defaults i couldnt get it to fail - its only when i changed the keys it screwed up.

Maybe setting your key maps to default fixes it?

</edit>

Well some of us poor guys still fly with a mouse and keyboard. I'm absolutely thrilled with this addon with no real gripes about it. Thank you VERY much Footmunch. This was definitely a very badly needed addon for Russian Naval aviation. I just hope that you or someone else one day will make the Su-24 Fencer (looks like a giant Mig-23 with a side by side seating arrangement) or a Su-34 multi-role aircraft. Both are beautiful aircraft that are sadly missing in OFP.

However nevertheless I'm very happy with this Su-33 and I am thorougly enjoying launching it off the Russian carrier.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well some of us poor guys still fly with a mouse and keyboard. I'm absolutely thrilled with this addon with no real gripes about it. Thank you VERY much Footmunch. This was definitely a very badly needed addon for Russian Naval aviation. I just hope that you or someone else one day will make the Su-24 Fencer (looks like a giant Mig-23 with a side by side seating arrangement) or a Su-34 multi-role aircraft. Both are beautiful aircraft that are sadly missing in OFP.

However nevertheless I'm very happy with this Su-33 and I am thorougly enjoying launching it off the Russian carrier.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Miles said everything I wanted to. Awesome addon. Thanks, Footmunch. Of course, if you ever decide to do any of those aircraft Miles mentioned, I'll be ecstatic as well. biggrin_o.gif

I'm also finding the key script very buggy. Often times pressing E,W, or UP all engage the airbrake in addition to the normal S, leading to a gradual decline to stall speed and a plummet into the ground.

Ummmmm ... sorry to say, I have the same problem ... sad_o.gif ..... sometimes it works, but most of the time it seems to get confused and not work.

I use UP to Accel, UP+Shift to Accel hard

DOWN to brake, DOWN+Shift to brake hard

Using E & S, does the same thing.

Maybes there some keys that should never be used with this script ? (like maybe the cursor keys or the keypad keys ?)

Otherwise, great weapon smile_o.gif

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Found the problem</span>

Its the camera view rotate keys (ie Numerical Keypad). As soon as you rotate the 3rd person camera to look at yourself, you are actually rotating the special camera in the "KEY" script also, hence when you push "Forward" again there no sure way for the script to really know which direction forward is, hence you can't detected the Y motion of the camera.

Only works if are lucky to rotate a full 360 degree.

When the script is confused Airbrakes typically get deployed, thats because only a small negitive Y delta is needed to engage. Afterburners need a large positive Y, which can only happen when the special "KEY" camera is pointing 0 deg.

A fix would be to have the KEY script always reseting the camera direction to 0deg

biggrin_o.gif Hehe I just checked the old key script for the USCM dropship, and the camera direction is reset to 0 everytime it loops, solving that problem. rofl.gif 'Tis a shame nobody else knew... nener.gif