Sign in to follow this  
robert(uk)

Who Likes Balance In Games Then?

Hopefully no more 3 round burst AK74/47's nor east M2, no more reloadable LAW's either, i too am all in favor of realism vs balance but some problems could rise in adversarial MP mode..

You can easily carry 3 or 4 Laws in an ALICE pack. Reloading of the LAWs was meant to simulate that. It would probably take a little more time to employ a second LAW than it does to reload one in OFP, but whether they animate a reloading or a dumping and employing of a second one, the only thing that matters is how much time it takes. Whether grabbing rockets for the LAW or grabbing additional launchers, it doesn't make that much difference in game terms.

What about self loading systems on Soviet tanks and APCs? A lot of people will cry if there is a self loading system on soviet stuff and none on Western tanks. Also if the M-16 is made better then Ak-74 why can't a T-72/80 with its 125mm smooth bore gun be better then an M1A1 (which had the same gun as a M60 patton, 1986) Sure the armor of the M1 is better but the gun of an T-72/80 is much more powerful, capable to fire ATGMs, which were not available to the soviets tanks only BMPs. If they didn't add a little balance people will cry too much

My Bad on the English

I can't see where the problem is if a cheap weapon disables a expensive one.Seem perfectly okay to me smile_o.gif .If you were to equip a soldier with a 800$ weapon that kills a 1.2million $ weapon,I would call you a strategical genious

but the ballistic dynamics of shoulder-fired AT weapons are greatly exaggerated as they stand now. a BMP doesn't instantly blow up, killing everyone inside, if you shoot the RPG at its tracks. you'd need to hit the ammo storage or fuel tank, and even then the driver (who sits at the front) would most likely survive.

the current damage model is horrendous. a single RPG soldier, being armed with 3 reloadable RPG rockets (which by itself is unrealistic) can effectively take out 3 BMPs full of soviet infantry. not to mention that the range (and accuracy) of RPG rockets is way out of line.

in reality, RPG weapons are not reloadable, and their projectiles leave a very visible smoke trail. none of these effects are modeled in OFP, which ultimately makes BMPs, M113s, and other APCs grossly vulnerable.

hell, in OFP you are safer in a jeep than you are in a BMP. it's quieter and faster.

in reality, RPG weapons are not reloadable, and their projectiles  leave a very visible smoke trail. none of these effects are modeled in OFP, which ultimately makes BMPs, M113s, and other APCs grossly vulnerable.

Ummm, where did you read/learn/hear that?

I have seen plenty of RPG-7s being reloaded. That's why the guy carrying the launcher is supported by a grenadier, who carries extra rounds.

The thing about things like that are tho,they are no hardcoded things in OFP,you can mod both the RPG's and the Bmp's at your willing.So Imo its nothing I would consider a bug with the OFP-Engine

If for example you try out wgl5,well.. all of the things you mentioned are included smile_o.gif

P.S: I said disables,not destroys .. well,but that is nitpicking

The RPG's are TOO powerful. BIS made them that way for SP purposes not for MP. There are plenty of missions where you have to take out an APC or a tank and you only get one shot at it.

--Ben

in reality, RPG weapons are not reloadable, and their projectiles  leave a very visible smoke trail. none of these effects are modeled in OFP, which ultimately makes BMPs, M113s, and other APCs grossly vulnerable.

Ummm, where did you read/learn/hear that?

I have seen plenty of RPG-7s being reloaded.  That's why the guy carrying the launcher is supported by a grenadier, who carries extra rounds.

The RPG that is featured as the soviets main AT weapon in ofp is pretty much a copy of a law and is not reloadable in real life. The RPG-7 as well as many other RPGs are though.

I have seen plenty of RPG-7s being reloaded. That's why the guy carrying the launcher is supported by a grenadier, who carries extra rounds.

you're mistaking RPG-7 with RPG-18 (which is the model used by the soviets in OFP, and is not reloadable. it's a clone of the american LAW).

Quote[/b] ]

The RPG-7 as well as many other RPGs are [reloadable] though.

yes, there are reloadable AT systems, but most of the standard issues are not. think AT-4, LAW, etc.

Ahh right, gotcha...  wink_o.gif

It's been a long time since I played OFP, so I kind of forgot...

the current ofp rpg isnt a RPG-18 which looks very similar to the law, its a light czech AT weapon. In pictures of Arma they have already replaced this with a RPG-7.

Whats interesting me is what they will replace the current ofp AT-4 with which is a RPO not an AT weapon crazy_o.gif. Only thing i can think of is either they  allow the RPG-7 to fire the large tandem warhead PG7VR round also or they replace it with the RPG-29

Current  ofp AT-4 aka RPO

image1302.gif

Ther real AT-4 spigot(just a small difference crazy_o.gif )

at4.jpg

RPG-29

rpg-29.jpg

Whats interesting me is what they will replace the current ofp AT-4 with which is a RPO not an AT weapon crazy_o.gif.

i was referring to the AT-4 shoulder-fired weapon (made in sweden i believe, designated as M136 in the US), not the NATO designation "AT-4" for a soviet guided missile system. i should've been clearer.