Sign in to follow this  
luemmel

Join in progress (JIP) and possible problems

Don't worry so much about JIP guys, ArmA is a great filter by itself, just run veteran settings on the server and you'll be fine... wink_o.gif

Don't really see how this got anything to do with JIP huh.gif

And yes, many of OFP players now days got problems with noobs, because OFP ain't like any other game. In most other games you play team deathmatch etc, in OFP you play coop, and in OFP you play with less players...1 guy who tries to ruin the game will have a much easier time doing it than in games like CoD or CS. Players that's not very good ain't a problem, the problem is players that just wants to fuck up the game.

In the end, I never liked playing OFP in public...I keep to playing OFP with my mates on our server, so we got control. That's also why I want JIP, as long as the admin can control it. That way we don't have to restart when people lose connection, we don't have to restart if someone drops in late etc. But at the same time, you have to be able to control it, so you can let the right persons join, while you keep unwanted people out.

yes thats the point ... somebody gets pi**ed off of the game and then satchels up the MHQ and the whole base in a 5 hour CTI session

Imo there are many organised mature groups who play OPFR but if you join a open public server you will find a mix of good people and total idiots, coop is almost impossible.

Even without JIP and respawn players rush to their death and dont follow orders or try to discuss and agree on a good plan or strategy (coop) then moan about being seagulls and keep asking for restarts just to rush and get killed again and again... On my last decent public game i had to struggle to keep one dialup 100/200ms pinger (way above average player) on the server because everyone went nuts when he was downloading the mission file and his ping climbed to 1500.

Ingame it was doing an average of 160, there was no desync or lag on the server and he was a good and smart team player. So what im saying is that currently public OPF MP gaming is sometimes playable, with JIP it will problably suck alot more.

From years of gaming i have the impression that 80% of the people who play online games are idiots and with Arma being more MP friendly we will suffer from a huge stupidity invasion biggrin_o.gif .

A LOT of people have no concept of how client-server dynamics work and will insist that a high pinger will "lag" the server. icon_rolleyes.gif

yes thats the point ... somebody gets pi**ed off of the game and then satchels up the MHQ and the whole base in a 5 hour CTI session

What’s to say that there isn’t join in progress when the server is using a password?

it could but what would happen to a MP mission only for 10 blackop players (per example)?

If JIP would be in OFP, this issue could be already handled with ease, so it will be the same in ArmA.

Something like.

on join:

if black_op_number > 10:

new_player = seagul;

JIP + CTI = AWESOME!

It's like a dream, really.

When I play CTI with my mates, the main problem - is lack of JIP. When someone lost connection or just have to disconnect for some reason, they can't reconnect or if someone can't play right now and he won't be able to join game later!

No doubt this JIP must be controlled by admin.

it could but what would happen to a MP mission only for 10 blackop players (per example)?

If JIP would be in OFP, this issue could be already handled with ease, so it will be the same in ArmA.

Something like.

on join:

if black_op_number > 10:

new_player = seagul;

i rader have the spectate mode instead seagul, but that would be changed for sure. smile_o.gif

Side-switching is a small problem in World War II Online. Some people will pay for two accounts so that they can tow their own artillery guns and use the extra account for spying. It isn't so common as to be unrealistic, though.

You've got to keep in mind that you're going to have spying and sabotage in a conflict. Side-switchers only imitate real-life traitors and spies. The important thing is to ban those players who routinely sabotage so as to intentionally ruin the whole game, not swing the tide of any given battle to their favor.

Side-switching is a small problem in World War II Online. Some people will pay for two accounts so that they can tow their own artillery guns and use the extra account for spying. It isn't so common as to be unrealistic, though.

You've got to keep in mind that you're going to have spying and sabotage in a conflict. Side-switchers only imitate real-life traitors and spies. The important thing is to ban those players who routinely sabotage so as to intentionally ruin the whole game, not swing the tide of any given battle to their favor.

Game should log all the player IDs while mission is running, and if player does disconnect and return, he should be imediatly put in a character/side he was before.

Game should log all the player IDs while mission is running, and if player does disconnect and return, he should be imediatly put in a character/side he was before.

So that the player(s) will not be able to even up the teams when they are uneven?

I would hope there will be a 'switch side', or a 'balance teams' admin command to do that, instead of the old log-off-and-relog-other-side routine.

the old log-off-and-relog-other-side routine.

there has never been a "log-off-and-relog-other-side routine".

You simply couldn't change the side during a game, it was only possible in the "setup screen".

Currently it is possible in games to change teams while playing.

I think either this method will be supported in ArmA or you'll have to go back to the setup screen and change teams there and 'rejoin' the game directly after changing your side/class.

JIP + CTI = AWESOME!

It's like a dream, really.

When I play CTI with my mates, the main problem - is lack of JIP. When someone lost connection or just have to disconnect for some reason, they can't reconnect or if someone can't play right now and he won't be able to join game later!

No doubt this JIP must be controlled by admin.

I guess the best way is to wait until server is full and then lock JIP. If one of teammates disconnects simply open JIP and wait.

As for cheating by switching sides and finding out commander's base. Let's say player with id #12345 joined East in the beginning. If he got disconnected and wanted to join again, JIP would not allow player with that ID to join West (until the end of that particular game).

As for cheating by switching sides and finding out commander's base.

"winning team change" *ggggrrrrr

In Joint Operations you can block the team switch, but if it's enabled you can also define a time how long the player must before the respawn in the new base it's possible.

the old log-off-and-relog-other-side routine.

there has never been a "log-off-and-relog-other-side routine".

You simply couldn't change the side during a game, it was only possible in the "setup screen".

Currently it is possible in games to change teams while playing.

I think either this method will be supported in ArmA or you'll have to go back to the setup screen and change teams there and 'rejoin' the game directly after changing your side/class.

Correct.  smile_o.gif   I was talking about the method that most other games using native JIP use.  (Hoping for something a simple as UT interface for the admin)

A LOT of people have no concept of how client-server dynamics work and will insist that a high pinger will "lag" the server. icon_rolleyes.gif

If OFP would run as a perfect server-client model, this would be true, in practice however to many decisions are clientside, and lagged people can see you (and shoot of course) where you ain't standing for real.

On small CS like maps (i.e. corridor and alike), mutual kills (you kill the enemy at the same time he kills you) are very common - in a perfect server based game, those would be very rare, considering the speed of the bullet smile_o.gif

I'm mostly going to talk about JIP for coop. 90% of players can't even play versus bots well enough, and of those 10% of decent players only a few are good enough to play versus human behings. Besides a 5 v 5 TDM sucks while a 10 man coop is a blast. The biggest problem with most games today is the players themselves.

Anyway, JIP for coop should be handled very carefully. A proper coop has one top orchestrating commander that is trying his very best to keep everyone on mission and alive. Throwing a new player straight into the fray without the leader's influence is a quick way to spoil a mission.

The best way to avoid headache is to have human intervention from the leader or admin to direct this new player. Designated reinforcement points coded by the mission with ammo nearby could be one destination, the new player unable to move beyond the area until someone releases him, he meets up with the CO, more joiners fill out a squad, ect. The most obvious way is for an AI to be taken over but that isn't always the best or possible.

Ideally JIP players should join the existing force in a plausible manner in keeping with design of the mission and map. Maybe the designer wants the JIP to come in a blackhawk next to the squad, hop out and join the only squad in fighting. Maybe the designer wants the JIP to be some sneaky resistence fighter that pops up in an abandoned farm near the objective. The most borning and least realistic solution is a basic soldier poping into existence at some static spawn zone where the existing forces started 20 min ago.

Care should be taken that the JIP is properly briefed and equiped to suit a reinforcement role and situated inside the command structure at the leader's effort (he opens up a menu, clicks what the new guy has, who's with him, where he spawns, ect from a list of possibilities built into the map by the mission maker) without the temptation to immedately go rambo or be clueless. It's entirely possible to group up a few JIPs and make a new squad out of them to help out the existing forces. **radio crackles in** "Sir, HQ is on the horn, we got though." "Bravo six this is Fisher one, we recieved your call and have dispatched a reinforcement squad to your location, callsign Charlie two on freq 215 point 6. Best of luck. Out."

You can JIP on a map with or without respawn smile_o.gif

If you make a CTI I suggest you to set some respawn, or 50 Vs 50 won't be enough for a one-week battle !

Simply add a function that evens the teams so when you join you go to the team with the least players. So if the match starts with 1 on North and 1 on West then another joins that person should be put on the losing side, but now its 2 on 1 so the next person that joins will be put onto the other side making the teams equal again.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">onPlayerConnected statement

Operand types:

statement: String

Type of returned value:

Nothing

Compatibility:

Version 2.10 required.

Description:

This statement is launched whenever a player is connected to a MP session.

Variables _id and _name are set.

Well this certainly got something to do with JIP biggrin_o.gif