Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Tea

Does anybody have F.E.A.R. ?

I`m still waiting for Arma, and to shorten the time i`ve bought the F.E.A.R. Director`s Edition DVD at Amazon for 32€.

While playing F.E.A.R., i had to fight against the most clever AI that i ever met in an game.

More info here.

It`s a little tricky to find the right hardware settings for this game, but if you have a strong pc, you might want to give it a try.

Used versions of F.E.A.R. are in store for around 25€. wink_o.gif

Im buying this tomorrow, played the (closed beat demo) plus the public demo for ages I need to buy it as im in a clan called MIA and were doin really well, I just hope fear will run ok with my current hardware smile_o.gif

You will need the patch to version 1.02, that you can grab on the official page + the "hotfix" for 1.02 that you can download here ore somewere else. It`s an fixed version of the fear exe.

Above-average AI and cool gfx effects did not save this borethon for me at least.

I dont know what to do. I upgraded my entire PC and would like to test it now with a NEW game. All there is is currently Call of duty 2 and F.E.A.R. Both games are not realy convincing me to 100%. Which of the 2 would you get? I think COD2 sucks but at least it has a reasonable Multiplayer Part!

I played the demo twice

I liked the lights and advanced GFX effects (impact of bullets on glass and walls). The environment can be quite scary (I've never seen an enemy 'pulverize' before)

I disliked the scripted nature of events. A door only blows open and pops out mean clones when you are close enough, there's no other way to solve your predicament. I played a lot of recent demo's, it made me return to and appreciate OFP's gameplay even more.

Some days ago I was out to buy Civ 4, but the salesclerk understood FEAR (4 is "vier" in german, pronounced like fear) and packed it for me. Luckily I recognised that before paying biggrin_o.gif

holy damn! Fear is so hardware demanding, I cant realy believe it. Singleplayer looks hmmm... okay. The graphics are rather dissapointing until the point you have the first fierce firefights, they are breathtaking. Never seen anything like it, the AI is fabulous and the slow motion effect is just unbelievable. I am not sure yet wheter you should buy it.

F.E.A.R. is GPU-intensive more than anything else. An average card (by todays standards) is enough.

Its easy to find the settings that works the best for you because the built-in benchmark.

Everything maxed out except Soft Shadows OFF, 2xAA and no Aniso in 1280x1024 is really smooth with P-IV 3GHz, 2GB RAM and a 6800gt.

It's a fun game about 2 times through, then it get kinda too repetitive for my liking. Never tried the MP-aspect because I only play coop. Nice overusage of particle effects by the way.

fear is a great game although a little to short, turn off the lights when playing, the little girl in the red coat will make you jump!

You afraid of little girls holding teddybears? whistle.gif

FEAR is definitely a fun one. Haven't had this much fun in CQB firefights in a long while. The melee moves that you can execute add a good bit of excitement to the combat as well. While there are only effectively three different melee moves, it's just cool when you find yourself with an empty magazine and there's a guy right in front of you. Slowmo, jump, scissor kick! rofl.gif

The pacing is really well done, as well. The game managed to surprise me a lot simply because with all the combat, you almost forget it's also part horror. Then they throw some shit at you. biggrin_o.gif It's nicely paced, and yes, as Shadow mentioned, the overuse of particle effects is fantastic. If you've watched "Equilibrium", you'll have an idea of what to expect from the bullet hits. tounge2.gif

Word of warning to those with integrated Intel GPUs, though. It's playable if you get your settings right, but there are spots where it will unavoidably CTD (probably some DX call incompatibility or something).

No problem, without the hotfix i got trouble with the copyprotection of F.E.A.R. . Sometimes this copyprotection realy sucks. Original DVD in an drive that works without errors, and the copyprotection tells me "No disc insertet". mad_o.gif

Also, owning the german version and updating it with patch 1.02 plus gore-patch causes troubles with multiplayer. I cant access any of the servers anymore. But thats no problem, I will first finnish singelplayer anyway. I noticed that FSAA slows down the system by at least 8-10 frames, but it looks soo much better! Lets make a "Best Screenshot Competition " tonight! smile_o.gif

You afraid of little girls holding teddybears?  whistle.gif

well you are afraid of you mom when you still young rgr? wink_o.gif

lol clan war biggrin_o.gif today: triple kill nade, You dont see that often (first time ive ever done that)

triplekillgrenadefear.jpg

Here is a screenie of the last scene when I completed the game while ago aka if you see the flash/big mushroom could it's already too late.

That section where you end up in the face of that explosion on the street is a top moment. Very cinematic and the effects have been carefully handled to make it so.