Sign in to follow this  
Laser

LSR US Helicopter Pilots 1.00

half life 2 was more model over texture on faces (sorda) but remember we are talkin about a 4 year old game that was built more for unit numbers not graphics,now we just need to combine the two @.@

OT: not gonna happen in this lifetime.

its either looks. or its performance. you cant have your pussy and eat it too. doesnt work that way in the wonderful world of gaming huh.gif

On topic: Y2K3 will be implementing the Army ones to replace the default west pilot. a very nice replacment if i do say so myself. thanks laser!

OT: I duno,with the way things are going in the future computers just might be able to handle it.

yea i aggree i dont care about hipoly faces, i just want it to run smoothly smile_o.gif

You do realize that lasers units already have modified head models? Surely going from one 'high poly' model to another shouldn't have any drastic effects.

Arch.

True but we haven't seen much in terms of face textures just yet (I wonder how they make those anyway,got to be a pita I bet)

btw just a quick qustion are all the new helmets used by the US branches like how laser dipicted them and if so why did they change to these sort of helmets

Laser did a pretty good job on the helmets, but I couldn't tell you how accurate/inaccurate they are. I think they are a bit too large, and the Attack Helicopter HDU looks to be a different type than in use by the US Army. But thats mostly just nitpicking, they work for what we'll use 'em for.

I think they recently adopted this helmet as standard:

HGU-56 Helmet

Naturally, in black color; that picture is of the civilian variant AFAIK.

The AH-64 pilots seem to use a mix of new, old and NVG compatible helmets, so I can't really give a definate answer for them.

This is one of the older types I believe. I wish I could dig up some more photos but AH-64 pilots seem to use various types of helmets; the only standard item seems to be the monocle, which is probably the largest error on Laser's pilots. The HDU on Laser's pilots looks like the HMD system proposed for the Comanche.

@Franze & Wa_Va_Voom:

The reason the Marine and Navy pilots have different helmets on Laser's model is because that's the way it is in real life. We use the HGU-84, which is much smaller and lighter than the older helmets. There isn't the need for all the gucci gear in the helmet, like the Apache helmet, as well. The only things the HGU-84 is wired for are NVGs (which are mounted on the front w/ the battery pack on the back) and the ICS. You'll also see lip lights on there, as well, but they're a mod that's done after the helmet is built up.

As for how the helmet fits on the model's head, I'll leave that to Laser to talk about. I am no OFP model maker. But I gave Laser some pics of both my HGU-84 and my CMU-33, so he's basing it all off of real pics from a bunch of different angles. And for what it's worth, I've always thought the HGU-84 looked like it was sitting a little high on a real person's head, but it really depends on how the individual wears it.

I think his units look amazing. He even put the helmet covers on the Marine units, just like they do in real life. The only issue I've seen (besides from a pouch that goes back a little far and two buckles that are out of place) is he used HEED breathing devices instead of HABD bottles. A small detail which really isn't a big deal. Overall, a top notch job.

Straying a bit off topic, isn't the AH-1Z supposed to upgrade to a HMD as well?

HMD? Helmet Mounted Device, I'm guessing? You mean for targeting and such like the Appache? I don't know. I'm on the Navy side of the house. Knowing how little money the Marines have, I would kind of doubt they'd put a new helmet system in there, but I certainly could be wrong. Currently they have some gizmo that plugs into the HGU-84 that allows for the aquisition and targeting on the Whiskey.

I guess the short answer is: I don't know.

Yeah, "Helmet Mounted Display", or "Helmet Display Unit". Bell has this on their AH-1Z page:

Quote[/b] ]

Helmet Mounted Sight and Display System

An important functional element of the AH-1Z cockpit display is the TopOwl helmet Mounted Sight and Display (HMS/D) system. This helmet supports improved communication and reduces cockpit workload leading to improved mission effectiveness. Manufactured by THALES Avionics, the TopOwl HMS/D is the most technically advanced helmet currently available and in service, offering unparalleled supportability and the capacity of technology insertion as additional requirements develop. The TopOwl HMS/D combines both avionics functions with the aircrew life support and protection functions into a single unit.

Sorry gatordev, I assumed you'd know; don't you have some time on the Whiskey?

EDIT:

@meyamoti:

That helmet is a NVG compatible helmet that I've heard some units adopted. It might be the new standard but I can't say for sure.

Sorry gatordev, I assumed you'd know; don't you have some time on the Whiskey?

Neg, Gatordev is a U.S. Navy Seahawk driver which is the navy version of the blackhawk...the AH-1W and Z are Marine Corps only aircraft ...well atleast in the U.S. they are...

Ah, ok then.

Anyways, the thing I like most about Laser's pilots are the weapons. They look and work amazingly well on the models; I was also surprised to find a few ground crew units as well.

The HGU-56s is slowly replacing the old SHP-4, but a lot of pilots hold out with the SHP-4 because most pilots bought their own helmets and personalized them. the IHADS style helmet is gone the new hud and consol now give more information than the IHADS can give. That and the weight of the helmet made crews switch to HGu-56 or a heavily modified SPH-4 with the dual visor update. The old AH-64 IHADs helment was too heavy cumbersome expnesive and most o g the updates to the flight controls in instrumentation made it useless. usualy cause fatal head and neck injuries durring crashes do to the heavy optinal equipment hidden undr the exstended visor to broadcast to the monical optics screen . On impact often the gunners ond or pilots face end up impaled on his cyclic stick due to the heavy old IHADDS helement forcing the head down on impact. HGU-56s arre lighter dispite being bigger, and give the head more room to breathe. cutting down chance of overheating it also is supossed to give some balistic protection oppesed to all the other helmets are heavy plastic. Lots of AH64 crews are former cobra drivers and kept their helmets and equipment no use wasting $400.00 bones on a new helmet if your tour of duty is coming up.. That and the gunners postion on the AH64 is very tight I'm 5 ft 6 in and its cramped somebody around 6 ft is not going to fit in there wearing the HGU-56 without his head rubbing the top of the canopy. Bad enough having to nearly stick your head between your knees to look into the gunners sights.

Thanks Bobcatt, that clears a lot of things up.

@KyleSarnik

Yeah, and in the 30s and 40s a patch of leather on your scalp was called a helmet. nener.gif

FFS, A helmet is a helmet damnit, letibe! goodnight.gif

What we're aiming for here is accuracy. Or did you not realize that? icon_rolleyes.gif

Indeed,they look great,funny to see people in marine cobra's using the army's helmets though rofl.gif

OT,Whats with the abrams with the whitish parts? in your signature Franze?

What we're aiming for here is accuracy. Or did you not realize that?  icon_rolleyes.gif

then go make your own pack.... If you think you can make them more accurate band.gif

No need to be offensive,their mostly giving suggestions and such,usually thats a good thing to make the addon even better.

Quote[/b] ]Sorry gatordev, I assumed you'd know; don't you have some time on the Whiskey?

I wish, if for no other reason than because it just looks badass. In a month or so, I might be able to con my way into getting a ride in one. Time will tell.

@Bobcatt:

You're saying that the Army guys buy their own helmets? I seriously doubt that. I also have a hard time believing they're only $400, but I haven't been in FedLog in a while, so who knows.

I wish, if for no other reason than because it just looks badass.  In a month or so, I might be able to con my way into getting a ride in one.  Time will tell.

I guess there's a big difference between carrying a couple torpedoes and sonar bouys compared to carrying 8 Hellfires/TOW, some rockets and a gatling gun. smile_o.gif

Thanks Bobcatt, that clears a lot of things up.

@KyleSarnik

Yeah, and in the 30s and 40s a patch of leather on your scalp was called a helmet.  nener.gif

ROFL! Good one! biggrin_o.gif

BTW awesome signature Franze

What we're aiming for here is accuracy. Or did you not realize that?  icon_rolleyes.gif

then go make your own pack.... If you think you can make them more accurate band.gif

Whats the matter? Cant get a life or somethng?