Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Terrorist attack on London

Quote[/b] ]'BOMBS' INJURE DOZENS

Walking wounded are being treated on the streets of London after six blasts, believed to be bomb attacks, hit the city's bus and Tube network.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there had been at least six explosions, but said the picture was still "very confused".

The army has been drafted in to man Tube stations across Central London

Two people are believed to have been killed in the Tube incidents and doctors say at least 90 people were injured at Aldgate Station.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke spoke of "terrible injuries".

Witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip though a bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang. I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

Another witness, Angie, told Sky news: "There were a whole lot of people around the bus. Next thing I was on the floor and there were a lot of people on me.

"I thought I was going to be crushed. The bus was ripped out at the back. It must have been a bomb."

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."

These are 2 minute-old headlines at Yahoo News:

Quote[/b] ]6 Blasts Rock London, Killing at Least Two

AP - 2 minutes ago

I don't think so. sad_o.gif

Whatever happened today, whatever happened between France and UK, You have our kindest support in the terrible drama. inlove.gif

I have confidence in british calm and cool-headed behaviour, as they used to be during the WW2 while being bombarded by the nazis wink_o.gif

This is bad news...

Some people really are animals.

Hopefully the worst is over. I've heard that the police have found several "devices," so it seems like they're getting on top of things. Also, the evaculations should help keep anybody else from getting hurt.

This is just... Bloody awful. I was just in London to visit my sister who lives there. And really, it hit pretty close to home for me. I can't imagine how it must feel for Londoners and Englishmen in general.

EDIT: And I have to agree with SPQR, it's really quite impressive how calm and effective the people responsible for making things work in London are.

The train casualties are starting to sound bad.

BBC

"The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said there had been no problems with its system which could have contributed to the incidents."

Is there any news about foreigns victims (particulary italians)? There's a dear friend of mine in London these days.....

Thanks

klavan

Not yet, no names for anyone.  

Like I said Russell Sqaure/Tavistock square is a big tourist area, I used to work at the Imperial Hotel there.  Its nothing but hotels and small parks, the Royal Nationals the biggest hotel in Europe I think, certainly one of the biggest.

May the victims rest in peace , the wounded recover fully and the real authors of this quickly found and removed from the human genome.

I've been watching on tv since it happened.. At first it was supposedly just a power surge casuing the tube trains to crash, but now 3 buses have been blown up..

The thing is.. If it was Al-Qaeda surely they would have done something on a much larger scale (I know this is bad enough but you know what I mean)?

Absolutely Terrible.. But unfortunetely we in the UK knew it was only a matter of time before it happened. sad_o.gif

They've just found evidence of explosives at one of the blast areas now.

How many explosions have their been now. 4 in metro stations and 1 in a bus?

On dutch TV you can see eye witnesses telling their story, very impressive sad_o.gif. They are also telling that it's a coördinated attack and that they've found bomb fragments.

Timeline of events:

Quote[/b] ]1126 The president of the European Parliament, Josep Borrell, blames terrorism for a "coordinated series of attacks" and "confirmed deaths"

1118 London's Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair tells the BBC he knows of "about six explosions", one on a bus and the others related to Underground stations. He says he believes the six affected areas are Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate, but says it is "still a confusing situation". He advises Londoners to "stay where you are - all of London's transport is currently disabled" - he refuses to confirm any fatalities

1055 A doctor tells Reuters there are at least 90 casualties at Aldgate station

1053 Home Secretary Charles Clarke makes a statement outside Downing Street about "dreadful incidents" causing "terrible injuries". He says Prime Minister Tony Blair has been informed and advises the public in London not to make unneccessary journeys

1049 Police say there are serious casualties, but no deaths are confirmed, Associated Press reports

1025 The BBC's Andrew Marr, with the prime minister in Gleneagles, says Number 10 is "still unsure" whether the explosions are a terrorist attack

1023British Transport Police confirm an explosion on a bus in Tavistock Place

1021 Scotland Yard reports "multiple explosions" in London, the Press Association reports

1014 An eyewitness tells PA that a bus has been ripped apart in an explosion in central London

1009 Witness Christina Lawrence, who was on a train leaving Kings Cross, tells BBC News 24: "There was a loud bang in the tunnel and the train just stopped and all of a sudden it was filled with black, gassy smoke and we couldn't breathe"

1002 Scotland Yard says it is dealing with a "major incident"

0940 British Transport Police say power surge incidents have occurred on the Underground at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations

0933London Underground reports "another incident at Edgware Road" station, PA reports

0933 Passengers are told that all London Underground services are being suspended because of a power fault across the network, PA reports

0924 British Transport Police say the incident was possibly caused by a collision between two trains, a power cut or a power cable exploding. Police report "walking wounded"

0915 Press Association reports emergency services called to London's Liverpool Street Station after reports of an explosion

0849 An incident on the Metropolitan Line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate is reported to British Transport Police

Link

@ July 07 2005,13:51)]The thing is.. If it was Al-Qaeda surely they would have done something on a much larger scale (I know this is bad enough but you know what I mean)?

A lot of terror operations have been uncovered and crippled.

There is also the terrorist's own concern of escalating to a higher level of attack, though I believe they will eventually do so.

This was another Madrid. That's bad enough.

Condolences.

@ July 07 2005,13:51)]The thing is.. If it was Al-Qaeda surely they would have done something on a much larger scale (I know this is bad enough but you know what I mean)?

A lot of terror operations have been uncovered and crippled.

Remember the planned Ricine attack by Al-Qaeda. The police uncovered it just in the nick of time.

EDIT:

Just heard there will be a press conference by Blair at 13:00 hours.

Very sad to see, and although there are many more important things I think I should highlight this.

We've got BBC doing live feeds into Australia, and seeing the media filming people coming to hospital I reckon is going a little too far especially when you see casualties getting CPR as they arrive, they did give us a warning but imagine if you are a family member of that person and recognized them.

Update on dutch TV:

5 metro stations and 3 busses have been hit.

A doctor sais that in 1 metro station there are 90 deaths.

There's now rumours of communications between London and Israel with a warning just before it all happened.. Police commisoner has unconfirmed this.

6 confirmed explosions now.. 2 dead.

Tony Blair on news now.

some one more then me thinking a part of IRA?

smaller parts of IRA stil dont whant peace talks they whant ther war gains england maybe this is some start for some thing new

@ July 07 2005,13:02)]There's now rumours of communications between London and Israel with a warning just before it all happened.. Police commisoner has unconfirmed this.

Heard it too. The Israeli's held a conference near the target area. The Israeli minister of Economics was also there and Israeli intelligence warned for an attack.

EDIT:

Avon just posted an article about it.

Just saw Blair, he was looking quite shocked. He also left the G8 conference to go down to London.

Irish terrorists usually use car bombs i think at the end of the day it doenst really matter how it was if your hurt confused_o.gif

i know a special treathment for terrorists, be them top politics or a not known one. pistols.gif

I dont know why do dont they use the special treathment in them, with all their spy sats, and Echelon programs etc etc.

hell cia assinates americans why couldnt they do it in the bloody terrorists.

LOL i get mad with theese terrorists pistols.gifpistols.gif

From a British blog:

Quote[/b] ]UPDATE: It seems that one of the reasons there are very few pictures and no real reports from the Underground is that people have been trapped (perhaps between stations?) and that they're only beginning to bring up the people with serious injuries from the stations now. Some of the pictures now being shown are truly harrowing.

And AP is still reporting 2 dead and 9 wounded.