Sign in to follow this  
WargamingNor

Tom Clancy movies on the horizon

Ok, so I made a new topic about this after all.... so sue me tounge_o.gif

As I said in the Land of the Dead topic, the upcoming movie adaptation of Tom Clancy's brilliant book "Rainbow Six" have gotten itself a new director.

John Woo were attached as director for quite some time, but now the directing duties has been passed on to Zack Snyder.

Zack Snyder is a relatively unknown director, but he directed the remake of "Dawn of the Dead".

I for one, thinks this can benefit R6 as a movie. I were never quite sure if John Woo could bring off the book into a bearable movie... (don't get me wrong, Woo is a talented director and has made some impressive actionflicks... but his style would have been all wrong for R6).

Zack Snyder said before the release of "Dawn of the Dead", that he made the remake from a fan's point of view of the original movie, rather than just his own vision. And as I said elsewhere, I think he did a good job on the remake of DotD.

I'm just dying to see who's gonna play who in the movie... that's what's gonna make or break the movie for me the most.

I would really want Willem Dafoe as John Clark and Raymond Cruz as Ding Chavez (they played these roles in Clear and present danger).

In other news about Clancy books being turned into movies;

Paramount is apparently also working on making "Red Rabbit" and "Without Remorse" into movies biggrin_o.gif

Can't wait... biggrin_o.gif

I hope they make Red Storm Rising into a movie.. biggrin_o.gif

Yes, I wonder how many times I have said the same.

But I think RSR is too much for a 2 hour movie... so my suggestion all along has been to make a miniseries out of RSR. Something like Band of Brothers... 10 episodes, 1 hour each. Now that would do more justice to RSR than just a movie.

I wouldn't put up my expectations too high for this one...

If Dawn of the Dead is the movie i am thinking it to be , then it was crap crazy_o.gif .

How about a Hunt for Red October movie? We've already had K-12 the widowmaker (movie) it ws decent but i wouldnt mind this one either smile_o.gif .

Hey! Don't forget that also Splinter Cell will be a movie.

nah splinter cell is just.. i dunno tounge_o.gif RSR sounds more exciting to me IMO biggrin_o.gif

a series like band of brothers would really do the red storm rising justice but i could settle with a 3 hour movie or a series of movies like the lord of the rings series biggrin_o.gif though i don't think they would put down that much money for it tounge_o.gif

I wonder if they'll ever dare to make movies out of "Debt of Honor" and "Executive Orders"...

A airliner crashing into the Capitol - I really don't see an american filmstudio doing this anytime soon.

But the books are great anyway.

A airliner crashing into the Capitol - I really don't see an american filmstudio doing this anytime soon.

Definitely not.

Anyone read Netforce?

The thing is.. With RSR they would probably shoot the film in the present instead of the cold war 1980's and it wouldn't be as good..

Just like they screwed the Jack Ryan timeline up with The Sum of all Fears...

@ April 15 2005,12:41)]I hope they make Red Storm Rising into a movie..  biggrin_o.gif

i second that! great book smile_o.gif

@ April 15 2005,14:10)]The thing is.. With RSR they would probably shoot the film in the present instead of the cold war 1980's and it wouldn't be as good..

Just like they screwed the Jack Ryan timeline up with The Sum of all Fears...

Yes. In order for RSR to make the transition to the screen without being... well crap... they need to stick pretty much to the book.

And it can never make a great movie. In order to squeese everything into a 2 or 3 hour movie, they would have to cut so much out, that it wouldn't be RSR in the end.

Keep the cold war storyline, and make a miniseries with the budget and talent behind Band of Brothers - and you would have the greatest miniseries ever made!

BTW... about the timeline. Yes SoaF screwed up the timeline established in Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger. (And I really hated Affleck as Ryan and Schreiber as Clark... mad_o.gif )

But they never stayed true to the books when they cast Harrison Ford into the Ryan part. In Patriot Games (the book) Jack is supposed to be 31 or 32 years of age... and Ford comes across as somewhere in his fourties...

But SoaF is a mediocre movie anyways. It strays so much away from the book and the Ryan timeline, that anyone who has read the book will never like the movie.

(If I never had read any Clancy books, the movie could have been an ok actionflick, but as it is - well it stinks!)

i don't think they did screw up the timeline, they just went back and did jack ryan as a young man, in SoaF he had'nt gotten married yet, or had kids, plus i think the guy who played clark did it it really well  smile_o.gif

they just went back and did jack ryan as a young man, in SoaF he had'nt gotten married yet, or had kids

And that's what's wrong. The timeline established in the Ryan books are as follows:

Quote[/b] ]Timeline:

-Without Remorse

-Patriot Games

-The Red Rabbit

-The Hunt for Red October

-The Cardinal of the Kremlin

-Clear and Present Danger

-The Sum of All Fears

-Debt of Honor

-Executive Orders

-Rainbow Six

-The Bear and the Dragon

-The Teeth of the Tiger

Already in Patriot Games, he's married and have his daughter. So yes, the filmmakers have always screwed up the timeline established by mr. Clancy. And with 3 different actors portraying him it is actually a chaos... tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The "Ryanverse" is a collective term which deals with the books centered around the character of John Patrick "Jack" Ryan. In the first book chronologically in the series, Without Remorse, Jack Ryan is a child whose father is a policeman "tracking" John Kelly. In Patriot Games, the next book chronologically, Jack Ryan becomes the central character and is an adult. The Bear and the Dragon is culmination, to this point, of Ryan's life as he is now President of the United States. Rainbow Six remains in the Ryanverse as it is a book centered on John Clark and Ding Chavez, two major characters in the latter Ryanverse books. The Red Rabbit will reportedly fall between Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October.

In R6 the book, Ryan is still president of the US... so I wonder what they'll do about that? Possible solutions:

1. Write out the small parts with him completely (perhaps the best solution)

2. Get Affleck to play him again (grrr...)

3. Get Harrison Ford to play him again (he's getting old though...)

4. Get Alec Baldwin to reprise his role as Ryan (errr I don't think so!)

5. "Forget" that Ryan is president, and just throw in another fictional president

The possibilities are endless...

Actually, the name "Jack Ryan" was never mentioned in Rainbow Six...

And "The Hunt for the Red October" is much better as a book than as a film.

It would be... interesting to see "Executive Orders" as a movie. But the plane hits the Capitol at the end of "Debt of Honor".

And remember, the actor who'd play "Ding" would have to be short and spanish looking...

RSR might make a good movie, but it would make a better OFP campaign. (Focusing solely on scenes and actions in Iceland and Germany)

And "The Hunt for the Red October" is much better as a book than as a film.

That goes for all Clancy books made into movies... wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And remember, the actor who'd play "Ding" would have to be short and spanish looking...

There are lengthy discussions about who should play who over at the R6 board at IMDB. But as I said before, I would really want to see Raymond Cruz play Ding again. He is Ding in my mind. Only worry is he's getting old for the part perhaps... (although I haven't seen any recent pics of him).

Anyone watch NetForce? the piece of junk with the guy from Quantam Leap in it.

Netforce.jpg

Hope its better than that!

Unfortunately, I own Net Force on DVD... tounge_o.gif

(relax, I bought it VERY cheap...)

But this is just a straight-for-TV movie, and Netforce is not the best books either (Clancy is just co-creator of the Netforce series... same as Op Center, Powerplays, etc...).

I never knew there was a movie already made on Red October wow_o.gif . IS it any good who are the actors? I really liked K-12 harrison ford in it was very good as an actor , the rest were ok too in their depiction of a russian crew.

I never knew there was a movie already made on Red October  wow_o.gif . IS it any good who are the actors? I really liked K-12 harrison ford in it was very good as an actor , the rest were ok too in their depiction of a russian crew.

That movie came out almost 15 years ago.. tounge_o.gif

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/

The movie is alright and good rental. The director pull a trick by first letting the russians speak russian and then they all the sudden speak english. It is like the audience gets a translation but the russians now have an accent... smile_o.gif