Sign in to follow this  
rats404

Best helicopter flight models

I know there are a few RL heli crew who visit the forum, so why don't we try to start giving the addon makers co-ordinated feedback to create better heli's for us to fly?

My limited experience can only start to point towards the good, the bad and the ugly

Good - Architect's UK Puma/Cazadores de Monte Puma - inertia seemes about right

Good - Martin's CH-47

Good - BIS MI-8/17

Good - BAS AH-6/MH-6

Bad - Col. Klink's Lynx - my favourite heli in Ofp - but over powered

Bad - Prep-H UH1-N - a great model but too delicate - a few 7.62x39 rounds bring it down

Ugly - Cazadores de Monte Malvinas A109 - over sensitive

Ugly - Nashe Orujie MI-26 - amazing modelling- superb work - absolutely superb - but it just doesn't feel right

Ugly - All other BIS Heli's

Just my opinion to get the ball rolling. I'm not arrogant enough to believe that my opinion is correct, but I want to stimulate some structured comments from guys like ThudBlunderQ8 so we can tune the flight models to get them as good as possible within the limits of Ofp.

oh, forgot to mention

http://www.rallyrider.tv/ofp/helicopter_stuff.htm

set this up just for a bit of background info.

Rats404

I say you remove that link, seeying that the Seaknight movie is kinda... "too much" for this forum.

RIP to the pilots. sad_o.gif the way that gunner looked was just... "damn"! crazy_o.gif

As far as I'm aware, they were recovered by the rescue boats trailing the main vessel, but I don't want to risk offending anyone - so I'll do as you suggest.

Rats404

I say you remove that link, seeying that the Seaknight movie is kinda... "too much" for this forum.

RIP to the pilots. sad_o.gif the way that gunner looked was just... "damn"! crazy_o.gif

those were all already posted on this forum... wink_o.gif

The link was removed before I got to this thread, but if it's the clip I'm thinking of with a -46 coming to back of the boat and two Zodiacs in trail, then not everyone got out alive.

Basically, for reasons that don't really need to be discussed here, the helo caught it's main mount on the safety nets. As they tried to pull power, they reached their dynamic rollover point and went in. The two zodiacs had some SEALs onboard, and you can see them immediately move into position. They jumped in and tried to pull as many as they could out by going into the fuselage. Rule number one for ditching in the water is never go back in the aircraft, but they did and saved who they could. There were a bunch of Marines in the back and many didn't make it out.

Yet another story that makes me wholeheartedly respect the SEALs and their professionalism and dedication.

Yeah I really like the BAS lilbirds and Martin's DC-3. They did a good job smile_o.gif

@Gatordev - it was indeed that clip - I'm glad I pulled it. As you say, maximum respect to those who risked their lives more than once, and condolences to the family and friends of those Crew members and Force Recon that were lost.

@Mr Zig - I really like the BAS littlebirds, enormous fun to fly.

Rats404

Operation Frenchpoint Puma has good flight model. Their Gazzele seem to be right too.

Quote[/b] ]Operation Frenchpoint Puma has good flight model. Their Gazzele seem to be right too.

@FireflyPL - Off to try them right now...

Rats404

IMO the lynx flight model is very good, alot of people seem to forget how fast and agile the helicopter is smile_o.gif

@para-trooper

Quote[/b] ]IMO the lynx flight model is very good, alot of people seem to forget how fast and agile the helicopter is  

Agreed - but it seems to leap off the ground with the collective - I guess a lot of the problems are related to the limits of Ofp - we're not talking about x-plane after all...  the lynx is my favourite heli model on ofp - Col. Klink (he deserves a promotion) did a great job on it, and I recently asked if he plans to do a clean version (which I spent a lot of time in as talking baggage, back when dinosaurs walked the earth).

@FireflyPL - Just tried the OFrp Puma and Gazelle - Malvinas  Mod versions have a better flight model I think - their Sea King is quite good too - but I get awful sound problems with it.

Not having won the lottery yet, I can only wonder if the VBS heli's are any better - probably not I'd guess, as the tool is designed for small unit tactics training, not trainng flight crews...

the flight models are more or less the same as OFP, but with a few tweaks here and there, i think the ARH Tiger flight model in VBS is very good smile_o.gif

OFP and flight model are a contradiction in terms.

I am just waiting for OFP2, I have screamed at BIS enough for some proper simulation.

Meanwhile, play Flight Sims.

@Jinef - I know what you mean (fly FS2004 and X-plane 8), but I miss the fun I used to get from Longbow2 - that *was* good fun, but I went back to it about a year ago to see what it was like, and it's way too old now (especially when you look at the Ofp terrain).

You can't shoot the snot out of a convoy with x-plane...:;):

Rats404

Operation Frenchpoint Gazelle, Fennek

all of Martins addons!

I gotta d/l the Frenchpoint Gazelle again, I must be trying a different version... rock.gif

Rats404

Malvinas  Mod versions have a better flight model I think - their Sea King is quite good too - but I get awful sound problems with it.

Actually, thats probably the normal sound files for them.... crazy_o.gif

I must have missed the latest versions of the Frenchpoint Helicopters before , because I checked and downloaded the most current versions - they are superb - I take back my earlier comments. They are a fantastic piece of work.

Really nice scripting and textures too. A class act. So I guess the thread has at least been useful in bringing them to my attention - thanks guys.

Rats404

If you get a chance try and find the NH-90 Footmunch made a few months back.

It may seem unsuitable to chuck around but i find it quite good at low level stuff.

Ugly - Nashe Orujie MI-26 - amazing modelling- superb work - absolutely superb - but it just doesn't feel right

wow_o.gif

lol you want LARGEST CHOPPER IN WORLD FLY like MH-6?

rats404 are you paranoid? Have you ever flyed real Helicopter?

Btw dont judge others work!

They have worked realy hard and you just say "it just doesn't feel right, hmmm....... sounds are bad, textures are ugly etc etc etc..."

Quote[/b] ]

Bad - Prep-H UH1-N - a great model but too delicate - a few 7.62x39 rounds bring it down

Ugly - Cazadores de Monte Malvinas A109 - over sensitive

Ugly - All other BIS Heli's

These are your words now tell me what have you done for OFP??

@USSRSniper - I'll quote myself -

Quote[/b] ]Nashe Orujie MI-26 - amazing modelling- superb work - absolutely superb - but it just doesn't feel right

Of course I don't expect it to handle like an MH-6 -  smile_o.gif

@Combat_medic  - As i said at the start of the topic...

Quote[/b] ]why don't we try to start giving the addon makers co-ordinated feedback

- feedback, not criticism. I'm a big believer that if you don't like an addon, don't use it.

But how will we ever move forwards if addon makers don't get feedback from users? That's the way software development should work.

I'm always very grateful for any work that's done by the community in spending many hours learning the tools and then producing the amazing gifts we see released every day.

On reflection, the terms "Good, Bad and Ugly" were poorly chosen as this is a euphemism with a subtly different meaning which may not be understood by those for whom English is not their first language. For that I apologise profusely to all.

Lets call them fantastic, great and good instead, so I don't get anyone blowing a gasket. if I don't mention a helicopter, I either don't like it or haven't used it.

Quote[/b] ]Have you ever flyed real Helicopter?

Limited flying the R-22, Jetranger, Single Squirrel as PIC, and many many hours in the military flying in A109, Gazelle, Lynx, Puma, Chinook, CH-53 as front seater or talking baggage. I'm also a qualified (but relatively low hours) Fixed wing pilot.

Quote[/b] ]These are your words now tell me what have you done for OFP??

Not as much as I would have liked - but I've just done a small job for AG-Smith on the new 1.2 afghan map and recently helped a little with another addon.

@Somebloke - NH90 - I've just downloaded it, and will give it a try - thanks.

Peace and love - back the realities of life :-)

Rats404

Quote[/b] ]What do you think about New Mi-24 made by Vit or Mi-28 made by DKM.

Haven't tried either yet C_M, but hope to this weekend - very busy with work at the moment.

Cat 1.2 will be a great testing area... smile_o.gif

Rats404

Please elaborate..

Overpowered as in terms of armament or in terms of in speed?

Loadout is correct for time period.

Speed is correct given that the Lynx has always been the fastest helicopter in the world..

If you want total realism then perhaps a dedicated Helicopter simulator would be suitable as there is only so much you can do with the ofp engine.