Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

Will Anyone Fix the C17?

I was wondering if anyone out there is interested in attempting to fix the old Hellden Mod C-17 Globemaster addon made a long time ago.  

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=1746

C17_11.jpg

It flew very nicely, had excellent engine sounds, and decent cockpit textures.  However... the exterior textures were kinda rough but more importantly, the whole nose and front section was shaped wrong and the cockpit windows (external view) were not quite right.

It would be SOOO awesome if someone took this as a project to fix up.  This aircraft is currently one of the most important cargo aircraft in the US Airforce inventory and has already been in warzones and under fire.  It also can be used for a wide variety of missions ranging from resupply missions and airborne parachute assault missions to humanitarian relief drops or VIP delivery missions and cutscenes.  If a STOL script was added it also would allow for insertion/extraction missions in some fairly small dirt runways as it is capable of doing in real life.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Anyone bother remebering maybe Footmunch is busy with his own stuff? There are other people around to texture stuff besides footmunch you know..

hes only wondering.... no need to bite his head off, maybe he suggested footmunch becuase hes the best guy for the job wink_o.gif

yes, but DKM Jaguar did a good job on the OPGWC C130, maybe he is bored and wants to texture more *fingerscrossed*

Was only a suggestion, oh and i doubt DKM jag will, he's got all the DKM stuff hasn't he,

LOL bored? I've got work for 5 other teams crazy_o.gif

The C130 worked well becuase the model was veery high poly and really quite good.

The C17 would compliment it well.. but perhaps (and I'm not trying to rubbish someone else's work) it would be better to start with a new model... smile_o.gif

Why is it anytime I point out something you say I'm ripping somebodies head off. 2 it wasn't specified as a suggestion, if he wanted to do there be a pack of em out now already.

It is still somebodies elses addon and @ copyrighted material.

It isn't even the correct size... Don't think but two airfields it cna land on and it couldn't be taxied cause the wings clip the buildings and trees on the outer perimieter on the airport.

have you ever considered you say the most insensitive things at times? rock.gif

Regarding copyright issues, everything is technically BIS property if Oxygen was used at all in its creation.

However it only takes a simple email to the Hellden mod (or one of their contact email addresses if they disbanded) in order to get permission to update it. If not, and the addon was simply abandoned, I think its stupid to just say, oh well, we can't pick it up and improve it because it was abandoned by someone else who never finished it. If they don't reply to emails, then you simply give them credit for the work they did.

I don't think most addon makers are against someone improving some old addon they never finished.

I think that the majority of addon makers would agree with me on this. The OPGWC mod understood this and were very generous in releasing their stuff to the community for further development. So far that has been very successful and everyone's been doing lots of work both keeping the OPGWC mod going (including yourself Bobcatt from what I understand) as well as converting their addons for a wide range of other countries and variants.

But anyways, if no one wants to update the C-17, then when I have time I'll try and tinker with it to see if I can position the cockpit windows better and fix up the nose a bit as well as adding stuff like a ground steering config and small fixes like that. But it would be better if someone who knew what they were doing would update it into a really first rate addon...or as DKM Jaguar suggested, perhaps make an entirely new model and textures. Its a great plane that I think would be very useful. I applaud DKM Jaguar for taking on the C-130 project as past C130 addons have all been lacking in various aspects. Hopefully Jaguars will be the definitive C130.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

have you ever considered you say the most insensitive things at times? rock.gif

Don't see anything wrong with that, and I don't see how that would do with his two previous posts either. Jaguar said that a new model would be good as well.

Miles, I know it's not a single addon but the JSDF pack has a nice C1.

Is the C130 available for download? It's just I read a post somewhere that you had to remove it from the demo as it did not work?

All the links are dead over at the OPGWC site.

Cheers

have you ever considered you say the most insensitive things at times?  rock.gif

Don't see anything wrong with that, and I don't see how that would do with his two previous posts either. Jaguar said that a new model would be good as well.

i was just saying that the guy in the first place considered that if this C-17 were to be "fixed" that footmunch maybe the guy for the job, bobcatt has taken it as a personal attack which it is not  rock.gif

have you ever considered you say the most insensitive things at times?  rock.gif

Yeah the C1 is nice, but its a very different aircraft then the C-17. The C1 only has two engines while the C17 has 4 and it is a little bigger then the C1. However they do look similar and the BOH C1 aircraft is really beautifully made.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>